PDA

View Full Version : Are alternative washing methods technically superior to S&C?

emmadilemma
April 24th, 2016, 02:55 PM
I like to keep messing around with different products and techniques and I cant seem to get any other type of washing methods to work other than regular old shampoo and condition. even CWC was just too much, my hair is decently moisturized and doesnt need the extra moisture from CO or CWC, but I've seen a photo or two where people had like bad hair from shampoo and condiitoner, then improvement photos from switching to CO or CWC or water only.. Are these methods technically superior to just S&C? or am I in the healthy-hair clear as long as my hair is decently moisturized with S&C? I don't use sulfates so can it really be all that bad?

Obsidian
April 24th, 2016, 03:03 PM
I don't believe any one method is superior, everyone has different needs and different things that their hair likes. I'm like you, the only thing I can use is regular S&C, anything else leaves me greasy or limp, CO was terrible as is CWC, its just too much for my fine hair.
Shampoo isn't bad for hair, neither are sulfates. I'm one who needs sulfate based poo, I do use SLS free once in awhile but it just doesn't keep my hair clean long enough. If your hair likes the S&C you are using now then I see no reason to try a bunch of alternate techniques that might cause problems you don't have now.

Hairkay
April 24th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Different things work for different people and their hair. There are no superior or inferior hair methods just a variety of ways to try and see what works for you.

lapushka
April 24th, 2016, 03:17 PM
No method is superior. If it works for you, it works for you. Like I say on here a million times over, it's about what your hair/scalp wants, not about what you want for your hair/scalp. It's my motto, and it's true.

I tried to go sulfate-free, my SD flared. I tried CO, same thing (and oily hair).

If S/C works for you, I'd not question it for one more minute! It just means that your hair is indicating it is happy that way.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with sulfates. ;)

littlestarface
April 24th, 2016, 03:29 PM
I tried just plain CO nope didnt work it made me shed no like tomorrow, I tried shampoo and conditioner, nope left my hair nasty and dry. CWC works for me but I have to do it in my own way cuz of my hair. I have very nonporous hair it wont absorb and itll leave it lanky and coated, I have to use a heat cap with the conditioner first to get it clean, then I jump in to do the shampoo on scalp only part and the other C I use with a heat cap as well but only 10mins.

Everyone has to find what's right for their hair, as someones recipe wont work for me so I have to find my own using theirs as inspiration.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 24th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Just do what works for you. Everyone is different and there are many ways to keep your hair clean. I like S&C myself.

JustPam
April 24th, 2016, 04:31 PM
I've tried a bunch of alternative methods, but my hair just wasn't happy with them, some things made it dull, some tangly, or too much buildup. Plain old conventional S & C gives me the best results, and is by far the least hassle.

Robi-Bird
April 24th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Everyone's experiences will differ, base on biology, environment, ethos, etc. If shampoo and conditioner work for you, perfect. I have had no success with using soap or "cleansing" conditioners. My hair likes conventional shampoos and conditioners, and since it ain't broke, I'm not fixing it.

lithostoic
April 24th, 2016, 05:31 PM
I do s/c one wash and CO the next.

ravenheather
April 24th, 2016, 06:52 PM
I agree with everyone else that whatever works best for you is best. But also realize that hair may change over time. Be open to tweaking your routine or even revisiting other methods if hair stops responding well to current routine. I used to not need hardly any conditioner but with more length I started getting white dots. Now I use a co wash and loc. Voila hardly any white dots.

Horrorpops
April 24th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Yeah I agree with PPs that it really depends on what works for your hair.

Over the years I've tried CWC, CO, SCC but none of these worked as well for my hair as just plain old shampoo and conditioning. The only thing I do (which is pretty standard for LHC) is try to shampoo scalp mainly and just let the suds run through my length to clean it, and try and have the conditioner on my hair for as long as possible (while shaving, exfoliating, washing my face etc etc) to get the most moisturising out of it.

None of my trials have negatively affected my hair in the long term so I say go for it! Try them out and see what works for you! :o

jazzhands
April 24th, 2016, 11:49 PM
I don't think any one method is superior to others. I don't s&c but I do c&s, every other method makes my hair greasy, tangly and limp and my scalp itchy for days.

maborosi
April 26th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Honestly, I haven't found anything that cleanses as well as conventional shampoo- the closest thing I've found would be various herbal treatments. Henna, cassia, sedr, all work really well at cleansing my hair. Followed by CO-washing.

Simsy
April 26th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Depends on the hair, scalp and time available, but mostly on the hair and scalp in question.