PDA

View Full Version : Scalp-only washing!

Upside Down
April 24th, 2016, 03:09 AM
So I started scalp only washing a few months ago. I couldn't find a thread about this so here it is!

What I do is tie a loose ponytail on top of my head.
Braid the lenght.
Put a plastic bag over it and tie it
Roll the plastic bag with hair in it as if it were a pastry roll lol
Tie that with another hairtie.

Wash my scalp with an applicator bottle!

It is really cool. So much faster, my scalp hair dries pretty quickly even in a loose braid. So much simpler washing routine.

I think in the long run it will prevent some of the damage we cause by washing hair (water stress or whatsitcalled. When hairs soak up water and expand and then it evaporates and they shrink).

It should extend the time between my keratine treatments, so less work there too.

Anywhoo. I would love to hear from other scalp only washers. I use silicones so I think next week I'll need to clarify (it has been two weeks since I washed the lenght of my hair).

How often do you wash the lenghts?
What is your method for scalp only washing?
Have you changed your conditioners, serums etc to better suit this routine?
I find I need more leave in.

Any other conments? Tips tricks? :) :) :)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 24th, 2016, 03:17 AM
I have done this a few times and love it too. I scalp wash on Wednesdays and do a full wash on Saturdays. I use a dye applicator bottle with diluted shampoo. For scalp washing I only use shampoo, no conditioner required. I love the way I save so much time with scalp washing. With my hair almost at classic, anything I can do to save drying time is a bonus.

That's about it for me, I don't use any extra serums or anything, just wash the scalp and leave it alone to dry. I just do a Nautilus bun, then double wrap it in a plastic shower cap and fasten it with an elastic. I do the scalp wash in the sink and it takes, ooh, 5 minutes? Brilliant. I just leave it bunned for the rest of the day.

Sweets
April 24th, 2016, 03:27 AM
*sighs, dreaming of the day I can really join the LHC and have enough hair to scalp-only wash* :) Only two years to go, right? I never did this when I had long hair. It makes sense!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 24th, 2016, 03:57 AM
Sweets, it saves so much time, effort - and conditioner :p You'll get there!

lapushka
April 24th, 2016, 04:07 AM
I think this is fine for people who need to wash more than once a week, but since it's only weekly for me, I tend to go for a full wash, still. It's just what works for me, and is great for my routine. Scalp-only, since my hair is washed with my head down is a little difficult to do.

Besides when combing out for the wash, lots of lint comes out... lots of it. I do need to wash that all out.

I think there was a thread on this, but... yeah, finding it is a little hard.

embee
April 24th, 2016, 04:50 AM
This is a great routine for me - at least in summer when I've been working in my garden and my scalp really needs a Good Rinse. Mostly I'm NW/SO but this scalp rinse thing borders on WO which is great also as long as it doesn't involve the length. :)

I have not washed or truly rinsed the length since I don't know when. A year or so? Not sure. Lost track, didn't care, it didn't matter. The hair is soft and doesn't smell funky and is easy to care for. :)

That said, my hair is always in an updo. Not sure how well this would work if I wore my hair loose.

meteor
April 24th, 2016, 11:13 AM
I'm a huge fan of scalp-only washes: they have been a game changer for me for a few years now (maybe since TBL?) They really save a ton of time on hair washes/drying/detangling and allow to stretch full washes. And the longer the hair gets, the easier it seems to do, especially with more practice. :)

I have a couple techniques that I use for this:
- over a sink, just the hairline and crown area with the hair braided and bunned under plastic shower cap or braid held down by bra-strap.
- in shower, with braid covered in a plastic bag and held by hand (I need to braid loosely at the scalp, about from shoulder down, in order to access all scalp more easily). I wash the scalp around the braid and under its base.

I always dilute shampoo with water for this procedure, to make it easier to reach all scalp and rinse. It definitely saves lots of water, shampoo, conditioner & products... very quick and environmentally friendly.

When I'm out of the shower, I just wrap a towel/t-shirt around the head like a turban and let the braid stick out on top and sit on top of the turban and on the side. It dries super-fast from scalp heat and the towel/t-shirt. It's also much easier and faster to detangle after a scalp-only wash compared to a full wash.

Here are a couple videos with variations:
- with a braid held down by a bra-strap/collar (works on heavy and long braids better): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo
- with a bun covered by a plastic cap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc
- with a braid on top of head, held by hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6HijoC6U8&feature=youtu.be (from 1:30)
- etc, etc

We have a few great threads on scalp wash techniques:
First successful scalp-only wash: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119848
Scalp Wash Success? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35946
PonyDry, scalp washing tool: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136047

Hailwidis
April 24th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info meteor! You really are a wealth of knowledge.

I may try this in the near future, although I don't know how necessary it is for not-so-long hair (MBL). I wash my hair twice a week so one of those could easily be the scalp-only wash and the other a full wash. Sounds like a good way to baby my ends even more.

Pearly~91
April 24th, 2016, 11:57 AM
I'm relatively new to scalp-only washing, the first time I tried it was about a month ago. I wash every 5-10 days, depending on the state of things, and I haven't yet found the perfect method for me. I've tried something different every time and will continue to do so until I perfect it.

I am loving the time saved, both in the shower and in drying.

Also, my ends are so much happier with this. I was afraid that they would dry out if they weren't getting wet, but it hasn't been a real problem. I went almost 4 weeks scalp-only washing before I washed the length when I first tried it.

ETA: The only downside that I've found is that my hair is even less wavy than usual, the longer I go without wetting the length.

meteor
April 24th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info meteor! You really are a wealth of knowledge.

I may try this in the near future, although I don't know how necessary it is for not-so-long hair (MBL). I wash my hair twice a week so one of those could easily be the scalp-only wash and the other a full wash. Sounds like a good way to baby my ends even more.

Thanks so much, Hailwidis! :flowers:
I think at MBL it may very well be doable! ;) Can you bun your hair at this length? If so, you could try washing the hairline while the bun is covered with a shower cap or two (or using plastic wrap): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc
If you can braid your hair, then you could hold the braid with one hand, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6HijoC6U8&feature=youtu.be (from 1:30) (I'd recommend starting the braid loosely at the scalp to make it easier to reach all scalp and rinse shampoo suds.)

Also, my ends are so much happier with this. I was afraid that they would dry out if they weren't getting wet, but it hasn't been a real problem. I went almost 4 weeks scalp-only washing before I washed the length when I first tried it.

ETA: The only downside that I've found is that my hair is even less wavy than usual, the longer I go without wetting the length.

Yes, my ends love it, too, and don't seem to need getting wet more often. If they do get dry (from seasonal dryness, not scalp-washing), I can always do a mini-LOC (running over length with wet hands, plus a dollop of conditioner and a couple drops of oil) or wet braid tassel under tap and CO-wash just the ends - it takes a minute max. ;)

As for texture, I think spraying length with water and scrunching can revive curls/waves to some extent, but yeah, they won't usually be as bouncy as straight from a full wash.

Pearly~91
April 24th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Yes, my ends love it, too, and don't seem to need getting wet more often. If they do get dry (from seasonal dryness, not scalp-washing), I can always do a mini-LOC (running over length with wet hands, plus a dollop of conditioner and a couple drops of oil) or wet braid tassel under tap and CO-wash just the ends - it takes a minute max. ;)

As for texture, I think spraying length with water and scrunching can revive curls/waves to some extent, but yeah, they won't usually be as bouncy as straight from a full wash.

I've found that when my ends are becoming dry and tangly I just need a drop of oil after I have a hot/steamy shower to soften them up. I have less success with using conditioner without the full wash.

That's a good tip, to wet and scrunch, for those that wear their hair down. The loss of texture doesn't bother me, really. I have the kind of waves that go flat and frizzy if I handle them at all, so I'm used to it. I wear my hair up most of the time, so no matter what I do the wave pattern is disturbed.

Upside Down
April 24th, 2016, 02:06 PM
How cool, there are many scalp only washers here! :happydance:

So it seems all of you wash lenghts very rarely. That is excellent info. I will stop stressing now :p

Well I can see how curls can be a problem. I think a sleep cap would be worth a try to keep them as long as you can. And then misting hair and scrunching to bring some curl back.

FantasyBoudicca
April 25th, 2016, 05:55 AM
I actually thought scalp-only washing meant applying shampoo only to the scalp before rinsing it out, which is what I do. Whoops. I'm just trying to break my old habit of outright piling the full length of my hair on top of my head and scrubbing that in addition to my scalp after I exercise. Baby steps... I did do something similar to the scalp wash I see here though, once. My hair was greasy (thank being a teenager for the oily scalp) but I had less than 15 minutes spare time before I was late for school, so I tied my hair back and washed only along the parting, where it's the most obvious.

JollyAlly
April 25th, 2016, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the tip. It seems like quite a bit of work, but I'll definitely give it a try.

Upside Down
April 25th, 2016, 09:11 AM
JollyAlly, it really isn't a lot of work. It saves work!! Depending on your lenght washing gets time consuming and scalp only is a real time saver ;)

Definetly worth trying. Or keep it in mind for when washing becomes too much :D

MlleMC
April 25th, 2016, 09:27 AM
I do it with my braid tucked in my bra strap. It's great when I don't have time to shower, as I can do it in the sink, or on all fours in the bath. It doesn't cut at all on the drying time for me though, as my scalp hair is always the last part to be wet. And I really have to wait before detangling, because my comb makes more tangles than it gets out if I use it on half wet and half dry hair.

Vanilla
April 25th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Just tried this again using LauraLongLocks' method, and hopefully it will work better for me this time. I have struggled quite a bit with scalp only washes. In the past, I couldn't get my scalp clean enough with diluted shampoo, but I usually waited until I needed a regular wash to try scalp only washing.

This time, I didn't wait until my hair was super greasy before I tried the scalp only washing again. I would have usually used dry shampoo tomorrow morning to make my hair presentable, and then washed my hair normally tomorrow night. My hair is currently drying; keeping my fingers crossed that it works this time.

lithostoic
April 25th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Might try this.

Vanilla
April 25th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Now that my hair is dry, the verdict:

Not bad. The greasiest part of my hair is usually above my ears, and scalp only wasing didn't completely get rid of that greasiness/itchiness. I do think this is a slightly better alternative to dry shampoo. I think I need to make a slightly looser bun with more movement around my ears to really direct the diluted shampoo and water to clean that area.

poli
May 16th, 2017, 12:40 PM
I just tried scalp only washing for the first time. It's not a total success, I got more hair wet than I wanted to, but i gues it is still short for this.
Anyway, I gave it a go because for some reason my sls free shampoos stopped working for me. Or my sebum changed to dry waxy type and I just hated the crusty feeling only a day after I washed. Diluted sls shampoo works great.

vpatt
August 24th, 2017, 12:27 PM
I think I'm going to give this a try. My ends have become dry and split and I'm hoping less washing will help. I hope my hair is long enough for it to work. I did try it when I first joined here and I think I made it work somewhat....so I expect it to work now that I have more length.

vpatt
August 24th, 2017, 12:29 PM
So I tried this just now. Since my hair is only at 29.5" I didn't try putting it down my back. I pulled my hair up above my head and wrapped the ends in one hand. With the other hand I used the sprayer to wet my scalp and then squirted my diluted shampoo on my scalp, rinsed and wrapped it in a towel. It is still wet so I won't know for sure how well it worked until it dries. It went well as far as keeping the ends dry, but I'm wondering if I got the shampoo rinsed out completely. Holding up my hair was a bit hard on the shoulder. If it cleaned my hair satisfactorily then I will check out youtube for a better way to deal with the length.

So....
It seems that my hair is clean and seems the same as a regular wash. I was concerned I may not have rinsed the shampoo out properly but it seems fine. Possibly the length and ends aren't quite as soft as they would be with a full shampoo. But I think once or twice a month will be fine for the length and hopefully help prevent drying out the ends. I do oil or use conditioner on the ends occasionally.

CoveredByLove
March 8th, 2018, 11:25 AM
This technique was recommended to me when my hair was shorter (about BSL), due to my oily/problematic scalp needing almost daily shampoo but my hair needing co washing. I just didn’t have quite enough length at the time to do this successfully. I’m now at hip length and have tried this for the last couple days successfully. I’m pretty excited! :D Right now, I’m just holding my hair out of the way while I shampoo and rinse my scalp (I might try bagging it), then I wet the whole length and co wash it. My hair and scalp are both happy. :)

Larki
March 8th, 2018, 05:20 PM
Because I have blunt bangs, this is the only way I can stretch washes successfully. I keep a bottle of shampoo by my sink. I usually use dry shampoo the night after wash day, then scalp only wash the next day - this way I can get away with only fully washing my hair twice a week. Because my hair is blonde, it shows grease very easily (it gets darker and super stringy along the crown, even when up).

HaMalka
March 8th, 2018, 06:49 PM
I have started doing this recently, for the last two washes but life made that 5 weeks instead of two weeks like usual. The first time I tried just shampooing normally on my scalp and keeping the ends in a plastic bag secured by a ponytail. The second time I washed my scalp with diluted shampoo and used a rubber band to tie off the plastic bag. The rubber band worked much better at keeping my hair dry then the ponytail. I will continue trying it for a few more washes hopefully back on my regular schedule before deciding whether I like it or not. It is definitely much quicker than my usual wash.

CopperButterfly
March 10th, 2018, 09:13 PM
As someone whose scalp needs daily washing, I very much want to try this, just to save on drying time of nothing else.

Ophidian
March 10th, 2018, 09:30 PM
I love scalp-only washing, but I don't do my whole scalp. My problem area that likes more frequent washes is around my hairline and the front of my crown, so I am able to get to all of that by doing a loose twist with the front section of my hair (like I'm doing a high half-up), clipping it loosely so it "poofs" up, and then securing the rest of my hair in a braid or bun at the nape. When I lean over the sink or tub to wash, I am able to reach everything I need to even though my hair isn't long enough for a proper scalp-only wash the way many do it. I started doing it this way after watching Haartraum's video on how she washed her hair and tweaked it to my purposes :).

Also hi vpatt:waving::flower:

peachyleshy
March 11th, 2018, 07:13 PM
I've been doing scalp washes for may be a year now. It really does save a lot of time. I've had problems with it however ... sometimes getting the rest of my hair wet (which defeats the purpose), or just not getting my scalp clean enough. Not getting it clean enough is an issue because I have dandruff and also try to stretch washes. I have found that just rolling all my hair up in a bun while I hold it in one hand and wash with the other works the best. This way it is held up and away from the water and I can hold it loosely enough to reach and scrub all of my scalp. Doing it every other wash is the most I think I should do... unless I end up washing more frequently than every four days. And I can tell if I go longer than that the rest of my hair doesn't feel as nice - which makes sense, I'm sure if I wore the same shirt for two weeks without washing it would start to feel grimy!

MusicalSpoons
March 12th, 2018, 10:30 AM
I've been scalp washing for, ooh, maybe a year now? It took some adjusting and tweaking, and my biggest problem was getting the scalp clean enough without being too rough with the hair and without getting more hair at than I wanted. I finally figured out that I can do a 'round-the-hairline' wash with a loose bun, using an applicator bottle of diluted shampoo straight onto dry hair, then rinsing out gently with a jug or hand-held shower head. For a more thorough scalp wash I can hold the bun / braid / loose lengths in my hand, adjusting the tension as I need to in order to get the whole scalp clean, but that's really hard on my arm/shoulder and also ends up letting my fragile top/outermost part of the hair get tangled. I almost feel I may as well do a full wash instead of a thorough scalp wash because it's gentler on my hair, less exhausting for me, and actually trying to avoid getting too much wet when I do a thorough scalp wash is actually almost as time-consuming as a full wash! Drying time is not an issue for me as it air-dries overnight whichever way I wash.

A 'round-the-hairline' wash works well if I do it usually every other day (no dry shampoo) and I'll do a full wash on average once a week, though could be 6 or 8 days depending on what I'm doing and how well I'm feeling. My lengths are pretty happy with that now that I include rinse-out oil in my full wash, and a full wash now feels a bit like a treat instead of a chore :cool:

FaerieKitty
March 12th, 2018, 10:48 AM
I've not heard of this before. My hair is not quite MBL so might be too short but tomorrow is wash day, so may attempt this anyway. Sounds really appealing.

Ophidian
March 12th, 2018, 11:16 AM
I've not heard of this before. My hair is not quite MBL so might be too short but tomorrow is wash day, so may attempt this anyway. Sounds really appealing.

My hair isn't quite BSL and I do a version that works well for me (detailed it above). Depending on what your needs are I'd say it's possible to work with less length too :)

FaerieKitty
March 13th, 2018, 08:32 AM
My hair isn't quite BSL and I do a version that works well for me (detailed it above). Depending on what your needs are I'd say it's possible to work with less length too :)

Managed to do it this morning. I did get a bit more of my length damp than I intended but everything is a learning curve! Very exciting for me!

Ophidian
March 13th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Managed to do it this morning. I did get a bit more of my length damp than I intended but everything is a learning curve! Very exciting for me!
That’s awesome!! It’s a great tool to have :)

Reyesuela
March 25th, 2018, 11:41 PM
How wet does your hair length get when scalp washing? I’m wondering if I’m a scalp washing moron. I’m doing the bag method.

MlleMC
March 26th, 2018, 12:56 PM
How wet does your hair length get when scalp washing? I’m wondering if I’m a scalp washing moron. I’m doing the bag method.

I don't use the bag method, I just loosely braid my hair and tie the end to my bra strap (I do scalp washes in the sink). The first braid bump always gets wet, sometimes the second too, but usually no more than that.

MusicalSpoons
March 26th, 2018, 02:07 PM
For me it depends, if I do a proper scalp wash it can get wet sort of halfway down my neck. I hold my hair wound round my hand (either wrapped from loose, or braided wrapped around my hand) and control the tension/placement that way. I more often do a half scalp wash, more at the hairline than anything - the greasier bits that show! - and only half the scalp hair gets wet. I usually use a handheld shower head.

Upside Down
March 26th, 2018, 02:37 PM
When I did it with a bag it was wet down to my ears more or less.

I’d always lift the bag to rinse, I used to do it upside down.

Reyesuela
March 26th, 2018, 08:08 PM
I need to change my technique! :P. Thanks for the answers.

zashin66
March 27th, 2018, 11:00 PM
I enjoy soaking my head in the hottest water I can stand. Just my nose poking above the water line..... So when I wash I dip head in water wash head scrub scalp. (takes lots of scratching). (Feels so good)
Then I wash body, rinse, let all water out. Fill tub with piping hot water AGAIN.........(dreamy).... Head gets loads of conditioner....... Then dip below water line....... Let head soak in hot water long time with out touching scalp........ Then rinse...... Conditions again, let water out..... Sit in empty tub and run cold water on head/hair and huddle to avoid coldness on body. Leave hair cold. Final rinse done. I have noticed that my skin gets a great condition this way too.

vampyyri
March 28th, 2018, 07:45 AM
I've been doing scalp only washes now for going on two years now, and it works wonderfully for me. But I usually put my hair into a really low bun and work around it, so I never really get under it for that "grease spot" and as a result, that part of my scalp is always angry at me. I never thought to try a braided ponytail to get under that spot.

I might have to try to change my technique, because as a result I've been moving to full washes twice a week to combat the scalp soreness.

enting
March 29th, 2018, 03:19 PM
I always get more hair wet than I mean to, but it's still better than having soaking wet hair. I like to alternate scalp washes with full head and hair washes. I make a topknot that is pretty tightly wound to itself but doesn't sit right against the scalp. That way I can lift the whole topknot away from my scalp and have access for shampooing and rinsing. I don't find that plastic bags over the bun help me - I inevitably get the stream of water angling into it at some point and then the whole bun is just soaking rather than getting a quick spray and then getting moved away.

Astrid Carlisle
July 13th, 2018, 09:09 AM
I tried scalp only washing today because I have an event for which my hair had to be clean (and its 7th day after last wash today), but I had very little time available. As I stumbled upon this washing a few days ago, I was curious, and today happened to be a good day to try that since my length was great, didn't want to ruin it, and dries a long time if I wet it. SO I thought I should only do scalp.
I braided my hair at the top of my head, leaving plenty of space under it so I can reach under the braided spot on my scalp. And.. it was actually not easy. Because I ended up using more shampoo than usual to ensure I washed it well (although I CO every week, and use shampoo once every 5 or so weeks. Since I thought conditioner might be risky for first time in case it left greasiness, I decided to go with shampoo).
My hair got very tangled, maybe from the water on top making my hair go forward and the water on the back of the head making the hair get pulled down from it, while braid pulled it up. Usually I wash all my hair straight, with water running in the direction my hair lays down, and now it was always the opposite. The wet parts mixed with dry when I tried to 'comb' it with my fingers were just all over the place. The length somehow lost its lush, and made me feel like it would have been better to condition it and do my usual CO wash. And it didn't save time either as I was trying to ensure I got all the shampoo out..

HOWEVER, I will still try it again next time I wash it (in 7 days), and see if maybe I can make my braid lower, and just hold it 'out' to one direction, so the hair that is watered is laying in its normal direction. I'm curious if it will help protect my length in the long run. Sorry for the long post. :rolleyes:

Oh, and also the time isn't saved in drying, since my hair is very dense and at the scalp it dries the slowest ;p

CopperButterfly
July 13th, 2018, 09:20 AM
Astrid, that's interesting it doesn't speed your drying time at all. For me that's the main reason I scalp wash. All my hair takes several hours to completely dry, but if I scalp wash, it's mostly dry within an hour.

My hair is between apl and bsl and I use the ponydry to scalp wash. I can't get my scalp quite as clean that way though. Once I get more length, I can probably do it looser and have better access to my scalp.

MusicalSpoons
July 13th, 2018, 12:22 PM
I tried scalp only washing today because I have an event for which my hair had to be clean (and its 7th day after last wash today), but I had very little time available. As I stumbled upon this washing a few days ago, I was curious, and today happened to be a good day to try that since my length was great, didn't want to ruin it, and dries a long time if I wet it. SO I thought I should only do scalp.
I braided my hair at the top of my head, leaving plenty of space under it so I can reach under the braided spot on my scalp. And.. it was actually not easy. Because I ended up using more shampoo than usual to ensure I washed it well (although I CO every week, and use shampoo once every 5 or so weeks. Since I thought conditioner might be risky for first time in case it left greasiness, I decided to go with shampoo).
My hair got very tangled, maybe from the water on top making my hair go forward and the water on the back of the head making the hair get pulled down from it, while braid pulled it up. Usually I wash all my hair straight, with water running in the direction my hair lays down, and now it was always the opposite. The wet parts mixed with dry when I tried to 'comb' it with my fingers were just all over the place. The length somehow lost its lush, and made me feel like it would have been better to condition it and do my usual CO wash. And it didn't save time either as I was trying to ensure I got all the shampoo out..

HOWEVER, I will still try it again next time I wash it (in 7 days), and see if maybe I can make my braid lower, and just hold it 'out' to one direction, so the hair that is watered is laying in its normal direction. I'm curious if it will help protect my length in the long run. Sorry for the long post. :rolleyes:

Oh, and also the time isn't saved in drying, since my hair is very dense and at the scalp it dries the slowest ;p

I get exactly the same thing, so I just leave it alone to air-dry (usually overnight, just like a full wash). I can only do a daytime scalp wash if it's just the front post of my scalp, when I'll do a bun with loose scalp hair and although some of the scalp hair is pulled forward, most of what I'm washing just lays downwards anyway.

softheartedandl
July 13th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Well, I think technically I only ever scalp wash. I don't ever tie up my hair in a shower cap but I only ever put shampoo or scrub on my scalp. I never put shampoo on or through the length of my hair, but of course the suds from my scalp travel down my hair when I'm rinsing I do condition though.

lovelymoon
July 13th, 2018, 08:06 PM
Well, I think technically I only ever scalp wash. I don't ever tie up my hair in a shower cap but I only ever put shampoo or scrub on my scalp. I never put shampoo on or through the length of my hair, but of course the suds from my scalp travel down my hair when I'm rinsing I do condition though.

This is what I do, too. The only time I time I don't wet the length is when I emergency wash it in the sink. I tuck the ponytail into the back of my shirt and that works well enough to keep it dry. I call it an emergency wash because I only do it when my third or fourth day hair ends up being greasier than expected and I don't want to have wet hair all day at work. I do my hairline and crown.

ponine
July 14th, 2018, 01:03 AM
I also only scalp wash and I don't protect my lengths from getting wet. Sometimes I shampoo my whole hair if there has been a special occasion like swimming in a river like I did yesterday.

Astrid Carlisle
July 17th, 2018, 02:01 AM
I get exactly the same thing, so I just leave it alone to air-dry (usually overnight, just like a full wash). I can only do a daytime scalp wash if it's just the front post of my scalp, when I'll do a bun with loose scalp hair and although some of the scalp hair is pulled forward, most of what I'm washing just lays downwards anyway.

I tried that the other day, washing only front (because I tried to lighten my hair with honey and adding EVOO made it very slimy even after washing off the first time), and that worked well, but I guess weekly I need to wash all of my scalp. I think I will try leaving it air dry over night like you do! On a day when I don't have work the next day, in case I wake up with a jungle on my head! :D

Astrid Carlisle
July 17th, 2018, 02:05 AM
Astrid, that's interesting it doesn't speed your drying time at all. For me that's the main reason I scalp wash. All my hair takes several hours to completely dry, but if I scalp wash, it's mostly dry within an hour.

My hair is between apl and bsl and I use the ponydry to scalp wash. I can't get my scalp quite as clean that way though. Once I get more length, I can probably do it looser and have better access to my scalp.

Oooh pony dry looks cool! Didn't know scalp washing and keeping length dry was recognised by the market. Yes, normally the lengths dry a bit faster and I am just waiting on the roots to completely dry off from being damp. And it's mostly around the back of my head, because a lot of hair laying together closes off the air to the scalp :rolleyes:

spitfire511
April 20th, 2019, 07:07 AM
Okay scalp-only pros, help me out.

Tried this the first time today with mixed results post-shower (it’s not dry yet so I’ll update again once it is!) no pony dry, so I used a shower cap. Lots of water crept in so my lengths are pretty damp, though definitely not saturated completely.

The concern is that I did the usual gentle massaging to my scalp to work shampoo in (I really don’t move the hair a lot. I put my fingers in, massage, pull my fingers out and move to another location, repeat). And wound up with some pretty icky tangles. Nothing insurmountable but definitely not preferable.

Any tips from those of you with expert experience?

(Looking specifically for input from those who protect length from water. I’m pretty solid on just washing my scalp in a normal shower way - thank you!)

sallytz
April 20th, 2019, 05:02 PM
I second this request. I did it once by braiding my hair and wrapping it in a plastic bag. That gave some protection but the mid length still got wet and exposed to more of my shampoo mix than I would like.

MusicalSpoons
April 20th, 2019, 06:13 PM
If I do it out of the shower, I do a loose low plaited ponytail held in place with a wide, smooth belt, bent over and using a jug to rinse (though I do dunk my head into the water to start with, either in a large bowl or in the sink). I used to plait all the way down but realised I only needed enough to hold under the belt; if you're warm enough to not need to be fully clothed I guess a bra strap would do the job too.
If I do it in the shower, I do a low bun with loose scalp hair and aim the showerhead perpendicular to my head at just the hairline and scalp hair (with head bent forward! Very important!). Occasionally a tiny amount will trickle down the back but it's all wrapped and dense so the water rarely penetrates, usually just rolling its merry way down my scalp behind the bun.

The jug is much better for controlling the flow of water, and if you have the energy and patience it can be incredibly gentle and minimise tangles. I can't hold my arms up for long though so I'm not able to take full advantage of that.

I've been doing scalp washes for around 2yrs now, and it's taken time to find what works best both with my hair and with my levels of fatigue/physical limitations, and what is still sufficiently cleansing. I will say I rarely have to rely on one scalp wash lasting me 2 days now (the time it takes my hair to start looking oily after even a full wash) so I can afford to be less thorough than before. But I do believe with those 2 techniques, one could be thorough enough with care and patience. Tangling is still an issue though, so I usually do a scalp wash at night and let it airdry when I sleep. Only the next morning do I touch the tangles - to do so wet, especially with dry lengths, would just be disastrous! (A tiny amount of fingercombing is okay, to reset my parting, but it generally just moves the tangles a bit further down :lol:)

Pearly~91
April 22nd, 2019, 11:31 AM
Okay scalp-only pros, help me out.

Tried this the first time today with mixed results post-shower (it’s not dry yet so I’ll update again once it is!) no pony dry, so I used a shower cap. Lots of water crept in so my lengths are pretty damp, though definitely not saturated completely.

:scissors:

Any tips from those of you with expert experience?

(Looking specifically for input from those who protect length from water. I’m pretty solid on just washing my scalp in a normal shower way - thank you!)

I dilute the shampoo with a bit of water in a bottle to make it easier to distribute around my head. Then just massage gently without moving the hair too much, and then rinse quickly while holding the protected hair away from the scalp.

Also, I complete the washing process and then wrap my hair immediately with my hair towel of choice. ( Used a turbie twist when my hair was shorter.) That way the moisture can seep into the towel rather than into the dry hair.

Hope that helps!

squirrrel
October 11th, 2020, 12:20 AM
Hmmm... hello old thread. I come to play. Thinking I might benefit from this method. We shall see in due course. I would probably do plait the hair and wash the scalp. I might even wash some of the hair around my neck area as that begins to get sebum laden, but time will tell with that. I think I’m around a week since I last washed, but I begin to lose track...

Amy-Lee
October 11th, 2020, 01:58 AM
This method of hair washing may be healthier for my strands. I just might give it a try. :o

Tinyponies
October 11th, 2020, 03:06 AM
I’m going to join you here and give this a try next wash day.

Jane99
October 11th, 2020, 07:19 AM
I haven’t ventures into using shampoo, but scalp rinses have allowed me to stretch from washing daily to washing every 3-4 days. I love it. I just put my hair in a high double looped ponytail (where the tail goes halfway through the elastic causing a loop instead of a tail) and rinse my scalp

squirrrel
October 11th, 2020, 08:36 AM
I haven’t ventures into using shampoo, but scalp rinses have allowed me to stretch from washing daily to washing every 3-4 days. I love it. I just put my hair in a high double looped ponytail (where the tail goes halfway through the elastic causing a loop instead of a tail) and rinse my scalp

Hey! Great! It’s brilliant when you find something that works for you.

I now think I was at 11 or so days since I had washed it (having checked the calendar). To give more of my method... I used a velvet scrunchie at around shoulder length, plaited the rest of my length, located a small plastic bag and used another velvet scrunchie and a fabric headband to secure it and cover the opening. Then I put some shampoo in an applicator bottle and filled with water. Used the shower attachment in the bath to wet my scalp and the hair that needed washing, and applied the mix before massaging in and rinsing out.

Normally my neck aches by the time I finish washing, normally my lengths are wet for hours, but my neck was fine, my scalp dried quickly, and the rest of my washed hair wasn’t too wet for too long. My scalp got properly clean, the length that got washed still has some sebum, and the rest of my hair remained dry.

I might need to consider how best to keep my length properly moisturised, but I would call this a ‘win’.

BexLocks
October 12th, 2020, 09:02 PM
I am definitely going to try this! Right now!

Bonsai
October 13th, 2020, 04:53 AM
I just tried first time and I can't stop laughing... END of my hair is dry (maybe 10 cm) :eyebrows: .

I think it's great idea, but... I must work about it a little :wigtongue

lapis_lazuli
October 13th, 2020, 10:06 AM
I'm very proud of myself that I successfully scalp-only washed a few nights ago! I tried it years ago and it was so messy I was put off of the idea. Today I know a little better and I'll have to be careful not to rely on this now :lol:

squirrrel
October 14th, 2020, 03:52 AM
I just tried first time and I can't stop laughing... END of my hair is dry (maybe 10 cm) :eyebrows: .

I think there is definitely a technique to it: several possibilities in fact. I believe that there are a few threads offering different ways for people to try the method: the search feature should pull them up okay.

NikitaJane
October 14th, 2020, 10:04 AM
I do scalp only washes when needed and full washes around once a week. I do it similarly to the way others have described, I braid my hair loosely on top of my head, leaving some room at the scalp. Then I wrap the braid around one hand and hold it out of the way. I wet my scalp with a handheld shower and then pour over some diluted shampoo from a bottle. Then I just gently work it in with one hand before rinsing with the shower as before. Then I wrap it in a towel before taking out the braid and letting the roots air dry.

manticore
October 15th, 2020, 11:37 AM
huh, i'd never even considered this possibility. sounds interesting

MusicalSpoons
October 15th, 2020, 12:23 PM

It depends a lot on how long your hair is and what technique you use. For me, a thorough scalp wash gives me wet hair to about neck length and it's damp to about shoulders, maybe slightly further. However a cursory, half scalp wash just to look presentable gives me damp hair only to the nape of my neck, if that. For some people it's not worth it, but for some others it makes a huge difference to spare their ends.

For me it's a heck of a lot quicker to shampoo just the scalp rather than doing C-W-ROO-C for a full wash ... Keeping the last 4 feet of hair dry is very much worth it :lol:

Bonsai
October 15th, 2020, 04:03 PM
I have long hair, 70 cm (so something between waist and hip). I toke hair clip and I catch my hair to my shirt... When I washed head my shirt moved on to down (so to my head).

I want try again, with bun and waterproof cap, on Saturday ;)

lapis_lazuli
October 15th, 2020, 10:52 PM
Scalp-wash #2 was a success; I left more hair loose (to about APL) to get wet so that I could scrub the back of my scalp better. I could've saved myself a lot of trouble if I had the patience to learn this sooner :)

My method is somewhat janky but what I've been doing is putting my hair in a simple english braid, folding and clipping it to shorten the length, and washing my scalp in a very bent position. If I invert my head enough in the shower, I'll get the suds falling down into the tub and not onto the braid at the back I'm trying to keep dry. This works well enough that I don't have to "bag" the length at all, just keep it out of the way :thumbsup:

Bonsai
October 20th, 2020, 05:16 AM
Today I washed ONLY my scalp!

Bun + waterproof cup + hairband = dry hair under arms :joy:

cestlavie
November 29th, 2020, 07:08 AM
Bumping this!

Anyone who managed to scalp wash with waist+ length hair? What is the recommended method for this length?

MusicalSpoons
November 29th, 2020, 10:01 AM
Bumping this!

Anyone who managed to scalp wash with waist+ length hair? What is the recommended method for this length?

Do you mean specifically around waist+, or any length longer than waist?

Sarahlabyrinth
November 29th, 2020, 10:15 AM
What I have been doing recently is just covering my bun with cling film and holding that on my bun with a scrunchie (works really well), then doing the scalp wash in the sink with shampoo diluted in water and a jug. it only takes a couple of minutes and works so well! Then all I have to do is blot the scalp to stop dripping and remove the cling film, and it's finished - still with a dry bun.

cestlavie
November 29th, 2020, 10:23 AM
Do you mean specifically around waist+, or any length longer than waist?

Yes! Specifically around waist.

cestlavie
November 29th, 2020, 10:27 AM
What I have been doing recently is just covering my bun with cling film and holding that on my bun with a scrunchie (works really well), then doing the scalp wash in the sink with shampoo diluted in water and a jug. it only takes a couple of minutes and works so well! Then all I have to do is blot the scalp to stop dripping and remove the cling film, and it's finished - still with a dry bun.

Thank you for explaining Sarah! I think I wil try it in the sink since I have no bathtub.

I tried it a few days ago and I made a bun on the top of my head and covered it with a showercap and claw clips. Then I stepped in the shower, made my scalp wet and applied diluted shampoo. While rinsing I lifted my bun a bit to make sure everything was rinsed away. Sadly, bun was totally wet when I removed the showercap :( maybe lifting the bun wasn't a good idea?

MusicalSpoons
November 29th, 2020, 10:49 AM
Thank you for explaining Sarah! I think I wil try it in the sink since I have no bathtub.

I tried it a few days ago and I made a bun on the top of my head and covered it with a showercap and claw clips. Then I stepped in the shower, made my scalp wet and applied diluted shampoo. While rinsing I lifted my bun a bit to make sure everything was rinsed away. Sadly, bun was totally wet when I removed the showercap :( maybe lifting the bun wasn't a good idea?

It could have been the force of the water; doing it with a jug means there's a lot less water and it's more likely to only go where you put it.

For waist-ish length I guess I would advise the 'braid tucked down your top or bra strap' method, leaning over the sink and using a jug. Or, if you want to do a very thorough scalp wash, holding your braid up with one hand whilst shampooing then rinsing the scalp with the other hand.

cestlavie
November 29th, 2020, 11:29 AM
It could have been the force of the water; doing it with a jug means there's a lot less water and it's more likely to only go where you put it.

For waist-ish length I guess I would advise the 'braid tucked down your top or bra strap' method, leaning over the sink and using a jug. Or, if you want to do a very thorough scalp wash, holding your braid up with one hand whilst shampooing then rinsing the scalp with the other hand.

How you explain it, I think a jug would be better indeed to prevent water getting in. Thanks lot! I'm also going to try the braid tucked under my bra strap.

lapis_lazuli
December 9th, 2020, 03:58 PM
I successfully washed my scalp in the sink today! I'm a little too excited about it :lol:

MusicalSpoons
December 9th, 2020, 04:02 PM
I successfully washed my scalp in the sink today! I'm a little too excited about it :lol:

If it's as revolutionary for you as it has been for some of us, there's no such thing as too excited! ;) Also congratulations!

lapis_lazuli
December 9th, 2020, 04:47 PM
If it's as revolutionary for you as it has been for some of us, there's no such thing as too excited! ;) Also congratulations!

Aha of course my LHC friends get it ;) It really is, because I don't know if I could justify having hair this long if I had to wash the full thing every 3-4 days for the rest of my life. It is so laboursome. I started scalp-only in the shower and now I'm finding the sink is even more fast and convenient. Yay for success!

Sunseed
December 13th, 2020, 10:11 AM
This method is really intriguing me and I will definitely try this. I have been searching, rather desperately, for a way to care for my ends that get so dry every time I shampoo. I need to protect them through the season of cold weather and had been considering to not wash at all and do the sebum only method. But, the scalp only method sounds like it could be an amazing thing for me. I’m really excited to try this!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 13th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Aha of course my LHC friends get it ;) It really is, because I don't know if I could justify having hair this long if I had to wash the full thing every 3-4 days for the rest of my life. It is so laboursome. I started scalp-only in the shower and now I'm finding the sink is even more fast and convenient. Yay for success!

Scalp only washes are a lifesaver for long hair! I was just grumbling to DH today that while I don't mind washing my hair, I really hate the drying/detangling process and how it all takes half the day.....But A scalp only wash I can do in less than five minutes, no need to even get into the shower!
Cestlavie, I never try to wash under my bun, I just leave it alone and don't lift it up at all.

squirrrel
December 13th, 2020, 12:09 PM

The truth is that my scalp is ready for a wash long before my ends are, so if I don’t scalp only wash I either wash my ends to much or my scalp not enough, or I am somewhere in the middle, probably doing both and.

kimgeas
February 24th, 2021, 12:03 PM
So...I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but after my hair drys there always seem to be a tacky build up 'ring' at the back of my head. I've tried both ways; the braid tucked into bra and bent over method and the holding braid in one hand in the shower method. The former worked better but still I feel like there is one area at the length of my hair feels weird.

Is it A)I failed to properly cleaned my hair (but my scalp feels pretty clean tho); or B)I didn't rinse out the shampoo fully (if so, how to? Whenever I feel it when it's wet it feels like all clear); or C)previous product build up from all the conditioners I've used last shower?

Some more info about my hair: WL, mostly low porosity, sulfate and cones free, oily scalp and a frequent washer (therefore looking into scalp wash to save my ends)

MusicalSpoons
February 24th, 2021, 02:56 PM
So...I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but after my hair drys there always seem to be a tacky build up 'ring' at the back of my head. I've tried both ways; the braid tucked into bra and bent over method and the holding braid in one hand in the shower method. The former worked better but still I feel like there is one area at the length of my hair feels weird.

Is it A)I failed to properly cleaned my hair (but my scalp feels pretty clean tho); or B)I didn't rinse out the shampoo fully (if so, how to? Whenever I feel it when it's wet it feels like all clear); or C)previous product build up from all the conditioners I've used last shower?

Some more info about my hair: WL, mostly low porosity, sulfate and cones free, oily scalp and a frequent washer (therefore looking into scalp wash to save my ends)

For me, that's simply the hair that got wet without shampoo (I think it's the way our hard water interacts with my sebum, I didn't know if other people experienced that or not!). Not ideal but way better than having to do a full wash every time I need to clean my scalp or have my roots look presentable :)

kimgeas
February 24th, 2021, 07:13 PM
For me, that's simply the hair that got wet without shampoo (I think it's the way our hard water interacts with my sebum, I didn't know if other people experienced that or not!). Not ideal but way better than having to do a full wash every time I need to clean my scalp or have my roots look presentable :)

Oh yeah that makes sense! My city has super hard water. I've honestly never think too much about the water quality as I grew up in hard water area and seemed to 'adapt' to it. Kinda frustrated cuz my hair get tangled af around that 'ring', which makes me not able to wear my hair down and rock that clean and voluminous look even tho my roots are clean. :wail::wail:

Flittingsis
February 27th, 2021, 02:19 PM
My hair is only just BSL, so not long enough for this method, but I will try it eventually. I think it will be a great method for me.

lapis_lazuli
August 25th, 2022, 04:52 PM
Had a moment of panic while scalp washing today when my hair got tangled around the drain stopper of the sink. I went to lift up my head and couldn't move and had to try to see through the water stream to free my hair from the stopper, which I'd wrenched all the way up in the struggle. I was terrified it'd actually gone down the drain, so I quickly caught my breath again. I braid my hair from APL down so there's loose hair to move around when I wash, which results in loops on either side of my head hanging down, and of course one caught on the stopper. Had not flagged that as a risk, but I'll be sure to be more careful from now on.

Other than that... scalp washing has worked really well for me the almost 2 years I've been doing it now. I get disappointed whenever it's time to wash the length and do a conventional one :o

vampyyri
August 26th, 2022, 04:45 AM
I've been doing scalp only washes now for going on two years now, and it works wonderfully for me. But I usually put my hair into a really low bun and work around it, so I never really get under it for that "grease spot" and as a result, that part of my scalp is always angry at me. I never thought to try a braided ponytail to get under that spot.

I might have to try to change my technique, because as a result I've been moving to full washes twice a week to combat the scalp soreness.

Yup, still at it :D though I've changed my method over the years.

I put my hair into a low non-braided ponytail now and tuck the ends into my shirt/bra strap to keep it out of the way and wash my scalp in the kitchen sink on high pressure. No more "grease spot" :lol: I can't stretch washes without my scalp getting angry still lol Happy scalp, happy hair :D

barnet_fair
November 2nd, 2022, 12:43 PM
Do scalp washes get easier with longer hair? I've been trying a few techniques but have found it very difficult not to have the water wick, or just get splashed, halfway down the lengths.

If the lengths get wet, they need lots of conditioner - so getting them wet at all defeats the point of a scalp wash.

MusicalSpoons
November 2nd, 2022, 12:54 PM
Do scalp washes get easier with longer hair? I've been trying a few techniques but have found it very difficult not to have the water wick, or just get splashed, halfway down the lengths.

If the lengths get wet, they need lots of conditioner - so getting them wet at all defeats the point of a scalp wash.

I think length does help, combined with finding a technique that works for your exact washing facilities.

I've recently taken to clipping my plait up with a clippy hanger on the shower screen, which is easier to navigate than tying it around the shower pole. The water does wick a bit but I can aim the shower head quite precisely so after a thorough scalp wash the furthest it ends up wet is to the bottom of my neck (not completely wet, but some damp hair reaches that low). I find the quicker I am - aided by getting the right length clipped up out of the way to have the right tension at the scalp - the less water wicks up. And for a cursory scalp wash, just to look presentable not to wash my whole scalp, nothing is wet past what would be considered scalp hair.

GoatLady
November 2nd, 2022, 01:41 PM
I just discovered the "scalp only" wash thing and will be employing it this fall/winter. My hair dries super fast in the summer but takes seemingly forever to dry once the weather turns cold. I don't like devoting an entire day to hair drying. Plus I wash every 3 days in the summer but can stretch washes to once a week in the winter. If every other wash is "scalp only" then I'm only washing my full head of hair twice per month. Anyway, that's the plan. I do have to wash my bangs every 3 or 4 days, as they start to look stringy....but washing just my bangs is easy.

lapis_lazuli
November 2nd, 2022, 03:31 PM

Yes, I'd say so, in that less and less hair gets wet relative to the total length. My current method gets my hair wet to about APL, but it's small in comparison to washing the entire thing. The added weight of the length also helps keep it out of the way of the water (so it stays on my back as I'm washing my scalp in the sink).

SeppV
November 3rd, 2022, 11:42 PM
I do a scalp only wash once a week (and then a full CWC once a week). Meaning my scalp gets washed twice a week. I make a braid, stick it to my back, lean over and use the shower head to soak my hair from braid/ears and forward. I apply plenty of undiluted shampoo, and rince. I tried Lapis' method on washing the whole head, which I liked, but since it seems like the back of my head can live with not being washed more than once a week I opted for this solution instead, to save my lenghts from the water. I think my method works fairly well. The only thing I need to be careful about it really getting that shampoo out and rinsing very carefully.

I didn't really have to do anything with my products because of this, but right now I am not using silicones anyway. Ends will probably feel a bit drier, since I am not throwing conditioner at them twice a week, but I don't think it's a sign of bad hair health, because I think it's better for the ends to be saved from water. I just put some drops of oil on my hair when my ends start feeling a bit dry. I don't use leave ins, as those that I have come across have silicones in them.

lapis_lazuli
November 4th, 2022, 04:52 PM
SeppV, I'm glad you tried it and found what works well for you! :)

I think length does help, combined with finding a technique that works for your exact washing facilities.

I've recently taken to clipping my plait up with a clippy hanger on the shower screen, which is easier to navigate than tying it around the shower pole. The water does wick a bit but I can aim the shower head quite precisely so after a thorough scalp wash the furthest it ends up wet is to the bottom of my neck (not completely wet, but some damp hair reaches that low). I find the quicker I am - aided by getting the right length clipped up out of the way to have the right tension at the scalp - the less water wicks up. And for a cursory scalp wash, just to look presentable not to wash my whole scalp, nothing is wet past what would be considered scalp hair.

Spoons, your method intrigued me, so I tried it tonight while taking a regular shower and...it worked so well! I don't know how I've never done this before. I braided my hair starting between APL and BSL and clipped it up on my shower rod, finding the right amount of slack to move around. I wet and rinsed my hair with my head bowed down in the water stream. My hair got wet to about APL, the exact same as my inverted sink technique, so no disadvantages there. I also liked the amount of access I could get to my scalp with the hair being lifted up.

So now I have two methods of cleaning my scalp, which I guess means a two times better chance of actually doing it :o I'm really pleased, so thanks for sharing this! It'll be nice to not have to wash my scalp separately from my showers, plus the sight of my braid suspended a foot and a half above my head just makes me laugh.

GoatLady
November 4th, 2022, 05:58 PM
I tried scalp only washing today... and I LOVE IT!

I put my hair in a tight bun and then covered just the bun with a shower cap and secured it by wrapping twice with a no-metal hair elastic. I showered as usual and just wet my scalp and shampooed that, twice and rinsed well. Dried my hair as usual with an old t-shirt followed by a microfiber turban. When I removed the shower cap, very little of my bunned hair was damp. The majority of my length was perfectly dry. My scalp hair dried very fast. I did apply a bit of leave in conditioner to my length, for good measure, and some more oil to my ends.

This method will allow me to wash my scalp when it gets itchy, but not have to get my whole head of hair wet. So welcome now that the weather is cold.

paulownia
November 7th, 2022, 11:52 PM
Interesting ;)
I would like to try this but I'm not sure if it works with shorter hair ( I'm somewhere between APL and BSL right now). Question is, how my waves would respond to that :confused:

barnet_fair
November 8th, 2022, 07:35 AM
I've tried again a couple of times, again ending up with worse hair than I started with! Thanks for all your advice. I think my main problem is that I haven't been manoeuvring the water carefully, just using a static shower head, which requires apparently impossible contortions. Also, on a sensory level I cannot stand putting my face into the water, so leaning forward into the stream of water is not going to work for me. Finally, my hair is thick and of medium length with a lot of taper, so not only is my plait a little stout, but the bulk of it is above APL anyway.

baanoo
November 8th, 2022, 07:54 AM
I've tried again a couple of times, again ending up with worse hair than I started with! Thanks for all your advice. I think my main problem is that I haven't been manouvering the water carefully, just using a static shower head, which requires apparently impossible contortions. Also, on a sensory level I cannot stand putting my face into the water, so leaning forward into the stream of water is not going to work for me. Finally, my hair is thick and of medium length with a lot of taper, so not only is my plait a little stout, but the bulk of it is above APL anyway.

I’m not very good at scalp washing - just bangs-washing/front of my head washing - and I can only manage it in the kitchen sink using a little sprayer. There’s no way I could do a scalp-only wash in the shower; it would be a disaster!

paulownia
November 8th, 2022, 10:28 AM
Now I can at least say that I gave it a try;)
I put my hair in a bun, wrapped it in a plastic shower cap and secured the whole thing with an invisibobble. And I jumped in the shower.
It went well to shampoo my scalp but my whole hair got wet anyway. I had to rinse the whole thing and use conditioner.
So definitely not for me... My hair is too short for this. Maybe in a few years;)

Ada-banana
November 8th, 2022, 11:36 AM
I recently discovered scalp only washes and Im a believer. My ends just HATE being washed! No matter if it's CO.
So no more washes for my ends, maybe once a month or so.

GoatLady
November 8th, 2022, 12:30 PM
I recently discovered scalp only washes and Im a believer. My ends just HATE being washed! No matter if it's CO.
So no more washes for my ends, maybe once a month or so.

I agree. Especially in the winter time. It's soooo cold here and I have to go outside to tend farm animals, 3 times per day. I don't want to be doing that with a damp head. At least no more than a couple of times per month. Scalp washing is a game changer as far as winter hair washing.

Ada-banana
November 12th, 2022, 10:55 AM
I agree. Especially in the winter time. It's soooo cold here and I have to go outside to tend farm animals, 3 times per day. I don't want to be doing that with a damp head. At least no more than a couple of times per month. Scalp washing is a game changer as far as winter hair washing.

Oohh yes, I agree. Cold head in the winter is the worst. I cannot turn up the heating anymore because I can't afford these prices, so its cold a long time now.

Bri-Chan
November 25th, 2022, 04:48 PM
I just tryed some hours ago and I love it, I don't know why I didn't try this before :eek:

lapis_lazuli
December 3rd, 2022, 10:54 PM
It seems there are pros and cons to both my sink and shower methods. In the shower, I get a better shampoo application over my scalp due to the hair being lifted up, but the water stream is not the most effective for rinsing. Washing in the sink, the high-pressure water from the faucet never leaves any residue on my hair, but my scalp seems to act up faster afterward, I assume because spots are more easily missed with my hair hanging down behind me. Maybe I get a jug for rinsing out in the shower and let the shampoo sit a little longer when in the sink.

Also, I wish there was a way to detangle only the hair I got wet after I do a scalp-only wash because having to drag the knots down through the entire length almost feels the same as detangling after a full wash. Almost. It's just so tedious. For as much time as I save washing and drying only my scalp hair, I wish I saved as much on the detangling afterward. Oh well, I'll take what I can get.

lapis_lazuli
December 9th, 2022, 06:14 PM
Yesterday in the shower I tied a plastic bag over the beginning of my braid to protect it from getting splashed excessively. It just rested in the slack between my head and where it's clipped up on the shower rod. I don't have a handheld piece, so I have to bow my head in the water stream to wash my scalp and some pieces of my braid (which starts below APL) were getting wet. It was a lot better yesterday. Whatever works, right.

EggLover
December 10th, 2022, 02:47 PM
My hair is very short currently and I'm a daily washer due to hormonal oiliness that makes hair loss worse. I CANNOT WAIT till my hair is long enough for this method! Seems like it will truly preserve the health/condition of the length. Like I could do this most days and only full wash 1-2 times a week. Cannot wait!!!

Pouncequick
December 11th, 2022, 01:12 PM
It seems there are pros and cons to both my sink and shower methods. In the shower, I get a better shampoo application over my scalp due to the hair being lifted up, but the water stream is not the most effective for rinsing. Washing in the sink, the high-pressure water from the faucet never leaves any residue on my hair, but my scalp seems to act up faster afterward, I assume because spots are more easily missed with my hair hanging down behind me. Maybe I get a jug for rinsing out in the shower and let the shampoo sit a little longer when in the sink.

Also, I wish there was a way to detangle only the hair I got wet after I do a scalp-only wash because having to drag the knots down through the entire length almost feels the same as detangling after a full wash. Almost. It's just so tedious. For as much time as I save washing and drying only my scalp hair, I wish I saved as much on the detangling afterward. Oh well, I'll take what I can get.

I smooth the wet scalp hair and put the rest up for work without combing it. For some reason most of the knots just fall apart when it's dry. Would something like that work for you?

SeppV
December 11th, 2022, 01:42 PM
I was also thinking about dry detanling. Is that an option at all? I actually don't detangle when my hair is wet. Not even with hands. But I see you have a bit thicker hair than I do, Lapis. When I do a scalp only wash my scalp hair looks crazy, so messy, but I just leave it 'till it's dry. You won't get away from the detangling job afterwards though, but that way you could avoid getting your lenghts wet, at least.

lapis_lazuli
December 11th, 2022, 02:30 PM
I smooth the wet scalp hair and put the rest up for work without combing it. For some reason most of the knots just fall apart when it's dry. Would something like that work for you?

I was also thinking about dry detanling. Is that an option at all? I actually don't detangle when my hair is wet. Not even with hands. But I see you have a bit thicker hair than I do, Lapis. When I do a scalp only wash my scalp hair looks crazy, so messy, but I just leave it 'till it's dry. You won't get away from the detangling job afterwards though, but that way you could avoid getting your lenghts wet, at least.

I'm the same actually! I tend to leave all detangling until my hair is dry, which naturally separates the knots a bit. I clip up the length to let it air dry for a few hours after washing, but it's wet down to about APL, so I need to leave that hair loose. The style itself can be problematic, as I need to be careful not to lean back on my hair or I just create even more knots! Even though it's easier dry, it's still a bit awkward working the tangles down through the unwashed length. It just feels different than if I had done the full thing, maybe because I have to deal with two different textures.

I don't think there's much more I can do and just have to accept the reality of caring for my hair, which is harder now that I have to wash my scalp more often for my SD and that I work full-time.

Thank you guys, though :)

(or maybe I need to figure out how to not get so much of my hair wet LOL... maybe down to APL is excessive, but it just kind of happens when trying to reach and clean every part of my fussy scalp)

lapis_lazuli
February 18th, 2023, 08:02 PM
I can't believe that I was still washing my full length every week when my hair was as long as calf. Scalp washes (scalp-APL technically) have essentially become the only kind I do now. It's been many months since I've done the length and it still feels amazing. I love the convenience of that and can even look forward to washing my hair now.

My new technique is also working out really well. My SD has calmed down a lot lately, and I think the shower method has a lot to do with that. With my braid clipped up on the curtain rod, lifting at the scalp, I have MUCH easier access to my entire head than with the weight of my hair hanging behind me. Even when dry, it was clearly affecting the amount of shampoo coverage I could get and cue flare-ups. Not anymore. So I must be doing something right now.

paulownia
April 27th, 2023, 12:37 PM
I report successfull scalp wash ;)
I watched Haartraum's video about this method a dozen times and since I don't have a long braid I made myself this contraption :D
https://i.postimg.cc/rwsF8ztJ/20230427-201836.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
Routine went as follows:
I braided my hair and wrapped it in a plastic bag, then I attached the fake braid to it with invisibobble. I put fake braid under my bra strap and secured it to my shirt with a claw clip. Then I went ahead and washed the scalp with shampoo.
I didn't have any problems with cleansing whole head, then I wrapped it in my towel and took off the bag and yarn braid.
Last 10 cm of my hair was completely dry:D.
I'm so continuing to do it in the future. I wash every other day which means I would be washing whole lengths once in 4 days, every other wash will be scalp only wash.

Ylva
April 27th, 2023, 02:04 PM
I just love how your contraption looks, paulownia! :D

MusicalSpoons
April 27th, 2023, 07:57 PM
Ohhhh that's awesome you've found a method that works for your length paulownia! :D very clever!

Nefcerka
May 14th, 2023, 01:53 AM
I did a first scalp-only wash today :cheese: Merely as an exercise, to see if I could manage it at all, and I can. I am looking into ways of protecting my fine length, as I wish to grow as long as it will go. Now I need to figure out for myself, whether scalp-only washing will help to preserve it from hygral fatigue and too much manipulation, or it will make it dry and tangled.
Here´s my way of doing it:
I brushed my hair and put it in a high ponytail (with a soft, seamless elastic). I pulled the elastic a bit away from the scalp, to allow for manipulation. I braided the length, put it in a plastic bag, secured with another elastic. Then I put my shower cap over the braid too, secured with a small claw clip. There is a wire shelf mounted on a wall in our shower, conveniently in the eye level, so I clipped my protected braid to it. I wet my hair, shampooed once (I used a SLES shampoo for this exercise, because I didn´t feel like shampooing twice with sulfate-free), let it sit for two minutes while I quickly washed my body and I rinsed thoroughly.
I must say I love this method, I am a convert. The wash was as quick as if I had short hair again! There was no need to pry long hairs from the drain as usual. It took less than two hours to dry instead of three. I saved a lot of product and a lot of water too. When the hair dried, it was clean and I just finger-combed and put it up in a bun.
I wonder how long I will be able to go with scalp-only washing before my length needs to be washed and conditioned too. (I don´t use any leave-ins, my hair hates them). My length does get some sweat occasionally, as I bun it for running.
Thank you all for your input, it inspired me to try this.

lapis_lazuli
October 27th, 2023, 12:28 PM
I felt my scalp needed an extra wash this week, so I opted for a quick one in the sink, which I haven't done in quite a while. My findings when compared with my shower method:

Pros
Quicker than the shower
Less hair gets wet, barely past shoulder this time
Less tangles and easier to undo them

Cons
Messy: risk of water all over the counter
More restrictive: can't really move, as I have to stay hunched over the sink, which can hurt my back and gets soap in my eyes
Harder to reach every part of my scalp with my hair being weighed down by my braid hanging behind me
Can't wash my body at the same time

It may seem the cons outweigh the pros, but honestly... the less tangles I have to deal with the better. Might have to put up with the annoying aspects just to get some respite from the knots every once in a while.

ETJ CURLS
October 27th, 2023, 08:15 PM
I kind of want to try this. I LOVE feeling the water run all throughout my hair, but it would be a fun experiment to see what happens given the amount of shrinkage I experience.

lapis_lazuli
November 25th, 2023, 10:40 AM
I've still been washing in the sink the last few weeks and may not be going back to the shower method at all. It's easy enough to get used to again, both in terms of minimizing mess and not straining my back.

The increased water pressure speeding up the process is a major draw, but mostly the decreased drying time because less hair gets wet.

Also, now clipping the lower part of my braid to the back of my pant leg to keep it in one spot and from flopping over my shoulder.

luxurioushair
November 30th, 2023, 05:27 AM
I kind of want to try this. I LOVE feeling the water run all throughout my hair, but it would be a fun experiment to see what happens given the amount of shrinkage I experience.
I've been doing my own "version" of this ever since I started growing my hair out (9 years ago). I only apply shampoo to my scalp, but all of my hair gets rinsed in the shower. You can probably have the best of both worlds. I stopped shampooing the length of my hair because I saw this video. (I think these ladies have your hair type, actually!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oVxoi9-Sp8

edit: Oh, to reduce shrinkage while washing, don't wash your hair loose. Put it in a few braids or twists or something... it works

gghh
December 6th, 2023, 12:09 AM
I tried doing scalp only washing as my hair feels long enough for this to be more doable, however, water did trickle down to my ends though they are not as drenched as they’d usually be from a shower. I made a ponytail around the base of my neck and braided the rest of it, tucked it into a plastic bag, then rolled and clipped it. There’s nothing to clip my hair to in the shower :( so unfortunately i had to hold it by hand to keep it from getting wet but it still did. I’m disappointed for sure, though not too upset because my ends were oiled recently and shampoo did not go down the hair shaft. My scalp feels clean unlike the last time i tried to scalp only wash. Plus, this is day 5 hair which is already a lengthening time between my last full wash.

Perhaps i can try scalp only washing by kneeling my head under the faucet before finishing, drying, and clipping away to wash the restcof me?

reedtra
December 6th, 2023, 12:45 PM
I did a scalp only rinse the other day. I wanted to rinse the sweat off and did not feel like dealing with all the wet hair. I didn't even bother to bag the bun - I just held it out of the spray and used my other hand to massage the water through my scalp.