PDA

View Full Version : Biotin for hair?

AJNinami
April 22nd, 2016, 08:13 AM
I found an interesting video where this lady talks about what happens when you take Biotin (skip to 10:30):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOnCZUJqa8s

Any thoughts? Do you take biotin for your hair?

LongCurlyTress
April 22nd, 2016, 09:10 AM
Any thoughts? Do you take biotin for your hair?[/QUOTE]
I took biotin for awhile--not sure if it helped with hair-on-my-head-growth, however I had extra peach fuzz hair all over my face, in fact hair all over my body grew in extra thicker... ugh, and also my eyebrows started getting a unibrow... plus I felt bloated.... Others swear by this, but I was not happy with all the extra hair. Oh, and when I stopped the biotin, I noticed extra shedding occurring... ;( So, sorry to be a negative nancy, but I am not a biotin lover... :( I was so disappointed!!

lapushka
April 22nd, 2016, 09:47 AM
Goes along with this that I keep posting (but nobody seems to read ;))
http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.be/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html

LongCurlyTress
April 22nd, 2016, 09:59 AM
Goes along with this that I keep posting (but nobody seems to read ;))
http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.be/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html

"As you can read, it’s very important for hair growth. However, there are no studies that show any benefit in any case where the subject is not actually biotin deficient. And as previously mentioned, deficiencies are extremely rare.
Basically, if you are deficient, you will be sick in ways that can’t be ignored: Hair loss, depression, lack of muscle coordination, strange rashes of different kinds, pink eye, lack of energy, “swelling” of the face because of an unusual fat distribution, hallucinations and numbness and tingling of the extremities. There is no way you can ignore it or not know something is seriously wrong and you need help. "

Yep!! Thank goodness I didn't have all these negative symptoms, but definitely several of them! Thank you for posting this link, lapushka... shudder: I hope anyone considering taking biotin reads this article about biotin side effects. As we both know, there is no magic pill that makes hair grow faster, unfortunately-- without alot of side effects!! :rolleyes:

parkmikii
April 22nd, 2016, 10:06 AM
"As you can read, it’s very important for hair growth. However, there are no studies that show any benefit in any case where the subject is not actually biotin deficient. And as previously mentioned, deficiencies are extremely rare.
Basically, if you are deficient, you will be sick in ways that can’t be ignored: Hair loss, depression, lack of muscle coordination, strange rashes of different kinds, pink eye, lack of energy, “swelling” of the face because of an unusual fat distribution, hallucinations and numbness and tingling of the extremities. There is no way you can ignore it or not know something is seriously wrong and you need help. "

Yep!! Thank goodness I didn't have all these negative symptoms, but definitely several of them! Thank you for posting this link, lapushka... shudder: I hope anyone considering taking biotin reads this article about biotin side effects. As we both know, there is no magic pill that makes hair grow faster, unfortunately-- without alot of side effects!! :rolleyes:

From the quote, I understand that those aren't the side effects, but the signs that you are lacking biotin. But then again, English isn't my first language, so I may have misunderstood.

LongCurlyTress
April 22nd, 2016, 10:21 AM
From the quote, I understand that those aren't the side effects, but the signs that you are lacking biotin. But then again, English isn't my first language, so I may have misunderstood.

Woops!! Sorry for the confusion.. you are absolutely correct about this... ugh... kk delete delete delete!!

I still had adverse reactions from taking biotin, specifically the hairloss/shedding when I stopped it... ;(

Thank you for correcting... gaaaah.. .more coffee... more coffee .... more coffee... :(

parkmikii
April 22nd, 2016, 10:39 AM
Woops!! Sorry for the confusion.. you are absolutely correct about this... ugh... kk delete delete delete!!

I still had adverse reactions from taking biotin, specifically the hairloss/shedding when I stopped it... ;(

Thank you for correcting... gaaaah.. .more coffee... more coffee .... more coffee... :(

It happens. And I'm really sorry you lost hair from the biotin. I have it in my multivitamins too but not in a mega dose of 5mg or so, just about 300 mcg and had no extra shedding from it ^^

Deborah
April 22nd, 2016, 10:44 AM
I tried biotin for my hair, just out of curiosity. It did not have any effect on my hair, but it made my fingernails noticeably stronger, so I have continued taking it, with good results.

Anya15
April 22nd, 2016, 10:59 AM
I agree with the blog link you shared, Lapushka. Years of studying biochemistry and metabolism have taught me that randomly taking supplements is not a good idea.

LongCurlyTress
April 22nd, 2016, 11:06 AM
It happens. And I'm really sorry you lost hair from the biotin. I have it in my multivitamins too but not in a mega dose of 5mg or so, just about 300 mcg and had no extra shedding from it ^^

The shedding happened when I stopped using biotin... ;( but thanks!! All is good now,... knock wood! ;) I didn't care for the stomach bloating either...;( I am glad it is working for you!! ;)

diddiedaisy
April 22nd, 2016, 11:50 AM
Biotin also helped stop my shedding. I'm one if those people who doesn't digest properly though so supplements really do help with my digestive system. In fact biotin aids digestion of proteins etc. so it also helped me put on some much needed weight. Apparently blood group a needs extra, can't remember why though.

You do have to be very careful of overdosing though, I was taking high doses under a doctor and dietician. When my digestive system is playing ball I take a break from biotin and have one a week or less.

By the way, it didn't increase growth, I carry on taking it for health reasons.

Eastbound&Down
April 22nd, 2016, 01:55 PM
I didn't know where to put this, but I just heard the single best response I have ever heard to the question, "Can I touch your hair?"

Situation:
Standing in line behind a black girl with an impressive afro, it really was beautiful.
Random lady walks up, "Your hair is beautiful, can I touch it?"
Response, "Depends, can I touch you boobs?"

HAHAHAHA! The lady's face was priceless!