PDA

View Full Version : How real are shampoo ads?

Anya15
April 22nd, 2016, 05:26 AM
I saw a shampoo advert for Tresemme's new shampoo called 'Ionic Strength' which got me thinking about shampoo ads in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSGWLpZl5jc

What is this 'ionic complex' they talk about? Anyone with a scientific explanation? (Meteor? :D )

In most shampoo ads, they also usually show a close up of a woman's hair that is so thick and shiny that it doesn't look real. With a tiny disclaimer that says 'creative visualization'.

What shampoo ads have you seen with odd claims/'technologies'/formulations that don't make sense?

lapushka
April 22nd, 2016, 05:35 AM
Thicker hair. The ads by Garnier Fructis. But I know at least one YTer that likes it a lot.
http://www.garnierusa.com/products/haircare/full-and-plush/shampoo/full-and-plush-shampoo.aspx

It's in her empties and she talks a bit about it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZhubs7X-Fo

Horrorpops
April 22nd, 2016, 05:42 AM
Uuuggh it's like skin moisturisers and all sorts of beauty products. Claiming special complexes and substances that are just trademarked BS! I always go by: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Especially when a product is claiming to fix split ends, reduce shedding (without an active ingredient), improve acne (without active ingredients), or reduce fine lines and wrinkles. :P

lapushka
April 22nd, 2016, 06:13 AM
I'm an ingredient reader, but not that much in depth. I buy my tried and true products where shampoo is concerned (no silicones, but plenty of sulfates), and then get conditioners marketed towards dry or damaged hair. Whatever ticks those boxes is fine with me. I got a big stash of "regular" products and will venture out and get something new when it tickles my fancy (and has ticked those boxes).

Other than that, no I don't believe in ads. I only see ads as a means to find out if there's anything new on the market I might like, or not.

TatsuOni
April 22nd, 2016, 06:14 AM
I really "like" thoose commercials that claims that the products repairs damaged hair. In many of thoose commercials they first film a woman with tangled hair. Then they film the same woman with brushed and flat ironed hair. Lately i've noticed that in many of thoose after pictures, the woman have terribly damaged hair and no matter how shiny it looks you can still see all the damage and splits...

I never buy things I see on commercials.

Anya15
April 22nd, 2016, 06:26 AM
I'm an ingredient reader, but not that much in depth. I buy my tried and true products where shampoo is concerned (no silicones, but plenty of sulfates), and then get conditioners marketed towards dry or damaged hair. Whatever ticks those boxes is fine with me. I got a big stash of "regular" products and will venture out and get something new when it tickles my fancy (and has ticked those boxes).

Other than that, no I don't believe in ads. I only see ads as a means to find out if there's anything new on the market I might like, or not.

Aaah those Garnier adverts! Garnier has a shampoo in India that's a part of the Fructis line - it's called Long and Strong, and the advert used to show this woman pulling a car or something using her hair.
The one you linked to says it contains fibra-cylane. What on earth is that?

I am an ingredient reader, but I only check for sulfates and cones since my hair and scalp hate both. My body in general responds well to ayurveda so any herbs = good. I usually just go by past experience xD

I really "like" thoose commercials that claims that the products repairs damaged hair. In many of thoose commercials they first film a woman with tangled hair. Then they film the same woman with brushed and flat ironed hair. Lately i've noticed that in many of thoose after pictures, the woman have terribly damaged hair and no matter how shiny it looks you can still see all the damage and splits...

I never buy things I see on commercials.

^Story of almost every shampoo ad I've seen.

Also, there is not a single shampoo ad in India featuring women with curly/textured hair. Everyone has miraculously straight, sleek hair...

lapushka
April 22nd, 2016, 06:43 AM
Aaah those Garnier adverts! Garnier has a shampoo in India that's a part of the Fructis line - it's called Long and Strong, and the advert used to show this woman pulling a car or something using her hair.

I am an ingredient reader, but I only check for sulfates and cones since my hair and scalp hate both. My body in general responds well to ayurveda so any herbs = good. I usually just go by past experience xD

I believe it's a silicone. So for me the shampoo is definitely out. Might try the conditioner, though, but they're not available here as far as I know.

Frankenstein
April 22nd, 2016, 06:47 AM
The Pantene commercials with Selena Gomez where she says she knows blow-drying fries her hair but she's never going to stop because Pantene shampoo will fix everything :lol:

Obsidian
April 22nd, 2016, 07:40 AM
What about dove oxygen infused poo/con? I just can't understand why oxygen would be a selling point in hair product? Has my hair been suffocating all these years? lol

Anya15
April 22nd, 2016, 07:41 AM
I believe it's a silicone. So for me the shampoo is definitely out. Might try the conditioner, though, but they're not available here as far as I know.

A trademarked silicone? :lol: It had a trademark symbol, and it wasn't even in the ingredients list, just the description. Probably just dimethicone or cyclomethicone or something.
They're not available here either.

The Pantene commercials with Selena Gomez where she says she knows blow-drying fries her hair but she's never going to stop because Pantene shampoo will fix everything :lol:

Yes, we have Pantene adverts featuring a very popular Indian actress, basically saying the same thing. 'Repairs damage from the core' :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys-125an3qA
Well you won't understand the language she's speaking, but the visuals are enough I think.

MlleMC
April 22nd, 2016, 10:08 AM
If anything, I've always noticed that shampoo adds usually say that you'll get "healthy-looking" hair, not actually healthy hair.

littlestarface
April 22nd, 2016, 10:09 AM
If anything, I've always noticed that shampoo adds usually say that you'll get "healthy-looking" hair, not actually healthy hair.

Ha! Thats true isnt it lol

Anya15
April 22nd, 2016, 10:51 AM

:lol:
Very true!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 22nd, 2016, 02:03 PM
A trademarked silicone? :lol: It had a trademark symbol, and it wasn't even in the ingredients list, just the description. Probably just dimethicone or cyclomethicone or something.

Yes, we have Pantene adverts featuring a very popular Indian actress, basically saying the same thing. 'Repairs damage from the core' :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys-125an3qA
Well you won't understand the language she's speaking, but the visuals are enough I think.

Haha, I watched that ad and my first thought was "Why is her hair so SHORT?" lol.

meteor
April 22nd, 2016, 02:39 PM
I saw a shampoo advert for Tresemme's new shampoo called 'Ionic Strength' which got me thinking about shampoo ads in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSGWLpZl5jc

What is this 'ionic complex' they talk about? Anyone with a scientific explanation? (Meteor? :D )

Thanks for thinking of me :o but I can't find much on it, sorry. :oops: They just don't specify what exactly is in this "ionic complex", so it could be any combo of ingredients that they chose to give that marketing name.
It only says
Using an electrical appliance on your hair charges it negatively. TRESemmé Ionic Strength Shampoo balances this with positively charged ionic ingredients that nourish and reinforce your hair’s natural protection. Colour, iron or straighten and explore bolder style choices without any risk of damage. (http://www.tresemmeindia.com/product/category/1025752/ionic-strength)
The last sentence (in bold) strikes me as a veeeery big stretch. Hair is dead organic matter and is certainly prone to degradation through heat, chemical treatments, manipulation...
But the first statements are about basic chemistry of negative and positive charges. Hair (especially damaged hair) has spots of negative charges (esp. after washing, brushing, heat styling, etc etc) and conditioning ingredients with positive charges bond to the sites of negative charge... (more info on hair and charges here: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/07/ph-and-your-hair-little-redox-to-make.html) So I don't see how this specific "ionic complex" is different from other conditioning products... unless there is more to their story, that they simply chose not share yet in their marketing. From the photos of ingredients lists I saw online it just looks like shampoo and conditioner have some good oils, silicones, glycerin... but nothing out of the ordinary? :hmm: If somebody knows more on this, please do share! :flower:

Oh yes, that's one of my favorite hair commercials (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoV_xfvTViA)! :p It's so unapologetically over the top! :lol:

Yes, ads are about visual effect: they use hair extensions, tons of brushing and styling between every shot, photoshopping and even "greenscreen fluffers" (to create perfectly windswept effects).

Fibra-cylane uses "sol gel" technology which involves converting a solution into a solid gel, so it kind of looks like it expands to make fiber more rigid? The active ingredient is aminopropyl triethoxysilane. Anyway, here is a video that shows it in a petri dish and then on strand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq-YgFQsNp0 (That video kind of reminds me of a gel might work a bit? I don't know, I haven't tried it.)

Here is the Beauty Brains' take on this technology: http://thebeautybrains.com/2015/04/do-loreal-products-really-thicken-hair/

I think it might be available where you live, anou, as fibra-cylane has many different names (Filloxane, Intra-cylane, sol-gel...) and is sold within many brands under the huge L'Oreal umbrella, for example, Garnier Fructis Full & Plush, L’Oreal Paris Advanced Haircare Volume Filler Fiber, Biolage Matrix Advanced FiberStrong, Vichy Dercos Instant Filler, L’Oreal Professional Volumetry Anti-gravity, Kérastase Resistance Volumorphose Volume Expansion Treatment.
Basically, you can just scan ingredients lists for the active ingredient aminopropyl triethoxysilane (the higher up it's listed, the higher the concentration should be), if you are looking to try a product with this effect.

What shampoo ads have you seen with odd claims/'technologies'/formulations that don't make sense?
Personally, I've been really curious about this Pro Fiber (by L'Oreal Professionnel) in-salon and at-home treatment: http://www.lorealprofessionnel.co.uk/pro-fiber. It's supposed to help "restore" damaged hair (which is always a fascinating claim), and it uses APTYL 100 complex (but they don't say what it is), aminosilane and some special cationic polymer? If anybody has more info on this, please do share! :flower:

Silverbleed
April 22nd, 2016, 02:45 PM

Lol nice observation, that's actually really true :lol:
"...your hair looks healthier, stronger..."
"...for healthy looking hair..."

I also find it interesting how they keep coming up with new science-sounding words. They always use things like 'technology' or 'science' in their commercials xD

-Fern
April 22nd, 2016, 06:03 PM
Tangential at best, so sorry if this derails things, but I just saw this Dove commercial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeJVNum2zwY) today, and it made me really happy. (I don't use Dove products, haha, but I love that at least one beauty product company isn't telling you how you should look, and is instead encouraging folks to rock what they love.)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 22nd, 2016, 06:09 PM
Tangential at best, so sorry if this derails things, but I just saw this Dove commercial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeJVNum2zwY) today, and it made me really happy. (I don't use Dove products, haha, but I love that at least one beauty product company isn't telling you how you should look, and is instead encouraging folks to rock what they love.)

...Now THAT'S the kind of commercial I like to see :)

gthlvrmx
April 22nd, 2016, 06:22 PM

That is a really good commercial. I love it.

meteor
April 22nd, 2016, 06:31 PM

Yes, that commercial really rocks! :applause

lithostoic
April 22nd, 2016, 06:35 PM
I saw a Pantene ad earlier and the model's hair looked SO DRY. I wanted to oil her hair so badly.

AJNinami
April 22nd, 2016, 08:46 PM
I've seen that commercial on Youtube and every single time I watch the whole thing through, without skipping. I love it so much!

Anya15
April 22nd, 2016, 08:54 PM
Meteor, thank you so much for the info :) I thought so too, that the 'ionic complex' wasn't anything unusual...Nothing that popped up in the ingredients...
Oh so that's what the fibra cylane is. We don't get those products except the L'Oreal line possibly. No, I don't want to try them since my hair hates silicones, but I was curious!

That dove advert is lovely - this is the first time I am watching a shampoo advert with wavies/curlies in it! (though personally dove shampoo didn't do well on my hair)

cowgirllong
April 22nd, 2016, 10:14 PM
I think of shampoo ads as good entertainment. You get to watch girls toss their not-found-in-the-real-world hair around while listening to a riddle. :cool: Some of the claims in shampoo ads are just so ridiculous. I remember when Pantene came up with the term 'pro-vitamin'. At the time I wondered who they thought they were fooling. That was probably over 20 years ago.

My favorite Garnier ad was the one where girl's hair is tied to a rail of some sort and her hair is so strong that it takes the rail with her when she walks away. :applause

lapushka
April 23rd, 2016, 03:21 AM
I think it might be available where you live, anou, as fibra-cylane has many different names (Filloxane, Intra-cylane, sol-gel...) and is sold within many brands under the huge L'Oreal umbrella, for example, Garnier Fructis Full & Plush, L’Oreal Paris Advanced Haircare Volume Filler Fiber, Biolage Matrix Advanced FiberStrong, Vichy Dercos Instant Filler, L’Oreal Professional Volumetry Anti-gravity, Kérastase Resistance Volumorphose Volume Expansion Treatment.
Basically, you can just scan ingredients lists for the active ingredient aminopropyl triethoxysilane (the higher up it's listed, the higher the concentration should be), if you are looking to try a product with this effect.

Good to know that there's such a wide range!

Hairkay
April 23rd, 2016, 04:57 AM
I don't watch tv so I rarely see shampoo commercials now or hair product commercials. I do remember people talking about Beyoncé advertising blonde hair dye when it's common knowledge that she uses lace front wigs for performing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ27YyMnIhM

reilly0167
April 23rd, 2016, 10:07 AM
Speaking of ads and claims, I noticed lately in cosmetic ads have disclaimers on mascaras. Some say lashes are enhanced by lash extensions or " visually enhanced" basically saying what you see is not what you get, but do buy it.

littlestarface
April 23rd, 2016, 10:13 AM
Speaking of ads and claims, I noticed lately in cosmetic ads have disclaimers on mascaras. Some say lashes are enhanced by lash extensions or " visually enhanced" basically saying what you see is not what you get, but do buy it.

Really? They have disclaimers now? Wow I never thought we do that here in america lol.

reilly0167
April 23rd, 2016, 04:11 PM
Really? They have disclaimers now? Wow I never thought we do that here in america lol.
Lol yah, I seen on TV " visually enhanced" and at times at walmart if they have a special display same thing; and magazines lashes added, too funny.

Nadine <3
April 23rd, 2016, 05:58 PM

I loved the lady with the blue hair haha that was awesome!

Anya15
April 23rd, 2016, 10:04 PM

Ooh. Never seen this one!

littlestarface
April 23rd, 2016, 10:06 PM
Lol yah, I seen on TV " visually enhanced" and at times at walmart if they have a special display same thing; and magazines lashes added, too funny.

I have to be on the look out for this lol! It's hilarious cause they're basically telling you this product cant do what it says it can do bwahahahahahaha!

mermaid lullaby
April 24th, 2016, 10:43 PM
I loved the lady with the blue hair haha that was awesome!

Haha I agree! Although my mom would kill me if I did that.