PDA

View Full Version : Highlights, baleyage or color melting

summergame
April 22nd, 2016, 02:56 AM
Tomorrow I go to the hairsalon for another haircolor but I am doubt about 3 options and what colors I should ask. What do you think will suit me the best? Is it an option to go in the blonde range because I always want that. I don't take one color but a baleyage, highlights or color melting. They will use Olaplex first so I will have little damage.

This is me:
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l359/Lucius1988/13083368_10153425774302541_4884340240456933302_n_z psezayccor.jpg

Chocowalnut
April 22nd, 2016, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure what color melting is but balayage might look good on you. You're very pretty!

Pearly~91
April 22nd, 2016, 09:33 AM
I'm bad at hair color advice, but I tend to think that people look best with their natural hair color or tone. From that picture, your hair looks like it has red tones in it. If that's the case then I think you should stick with warmer reddish tones. But I find that pictures can be misleading, so it depends on what tone you have in person.

I think that if you are going to lighten your natural color, balayage is a good option, because it is blended in and I think it grows out better than color that starts at the root. There is less upkeep, that way.

lapushka
April 22nd, 2016, 09:34 AM
I would stick close to your root color, and have the rest "bleached" out or toned down.

You've been growing your hair out for a long time now, summergame, about as long as me, and it still looks like it hasn't gotten past BSL. Back when I fully experimented with color and could never make up my mind, it was the same for me too. I never could get past BSL much.

Maybe it's time to settle on a color, and finally make up your mind?

Also, Olaplex is no guarantee. It doesn't mean you can do whatever to your hair and still walk away with no damage at all.

Maybe try growing out your natural color? It looks to me to be very pretty, from the little blonde I can see at the top. I would not have it ruined (again) by color. :flower:

Anyway, I hope my advice wasn't too harsh. :o

meteor
April 22nd, 2016, 05:56 PM
It's always safer for hair's condition to grow out natural. :flower: But if you know you want some color, I'd recommend playing with color on only the already colored ends and leaving the virgin growth/roots alone - this will be easier later in terms of the upkeep but also less commitment (i.e. no root touch-ups, easier to grow out) and healthier roots/length. ;) Also, if you want to go darker, is it possible to use a true semi, deposit-only direct dye for ombre? That would be the least damaging (and least permanent) of dye options.
But if bleach has to be used, I'd use a heavy coconut oil soak to help buffer a bit of the damage.

I'm not sure what color melting is but balayage might look good on you. You're very pretty!
Color melting usually uses multiple colors/shades to create a more mixed effect. It's also often more diffused and done with multiple color transitions (here's an example (http://www.haircolorsideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Pink-to-Blue-Ombre-by-Guy-Tang.jpg), but there are many, many kinds and they can look incredibly different even while using the same colors, so it's really important to bring specific photos, instructions and communicate your vision very clearly and know the colorist's style...).

spidermom
April 22nd, 2016, 10:44 PM
What a gorgeous picture meteor! I'd love to get that.

summergame
April 23rd, 2016, 01:16 AM
Thank you *blush*

summergame
April 23rd, 2016, 01:18 AM
I'm bad at hair color advice, but I tend to think that people look best with their natural hair color or tone. From that picture, your hair looks like it has red tones in it. If that's the case then I think you should stick with warmer reddish tones. But I find that pictures can be misleading, so it depends on what tone you have in person.

I think that if you are going to lighten your natural color, balayage is a good option, because it is blended in and I think it grows out better than color that starts at the root. There is less upkeep, that way.

My hair is natural ashbrown, you can't see it good on this pic. I also think about balayage is gonna be the best option, thank you! ��

summergame
April 23rd, 2016, 01:23 AM
I would stick close to your root color, and have the rest "bleached" out or toned down.

You've been growing your hair out for a long time now, summergame, about as long as me, and it still looks like it hasn't gotten past BSL. Back when I fully experimented with color and could never make up my mind, it was the same for me too. I never could get past BSL much.

Maybe it's time to settle on a color, and finally make up your mind?

Also, Olaplex is no guarantee. It doesn't mean you can do whatever to your hair and still walk away with no damage at all.

Maybe try growing out your natural color? It looks to me to be very pretty, from the little blonde I can see at the top. I would not have it ruined (again) by color. :flower:

Anyway, I hope my advice wasn't too harsh. :o

Thank you for your advice Lapushka, my natural is light ash brown. It is so boring with my face that I really would love a color not to far from my natural but that suits me better. I haven't been past bsl because I always want to cut it then because I see some haircoupe that is cooler than my, not for damage of colouring my hair.

summergame
April 23rd, 2016, 01:27 AM
It's always safer for hair's condition to grow out natural. :flower: But if you know you want some color, I'd recommend playing with color on only the already colored ends and leaving the virgin growth/roots alone - this will be easier later in terms of the upkeep but also less commitment (i.e. no root touch-ups, easier to grow out) and healthier roots/length. ;) Also, if you want to go darker, is it possible to use a true semi, deposit-only direct dye for ombre? That would be the least damaging (and least permanent) of dye options.
But if bleach has to be used, I'd use a heavy coconut oil soak to help buffer a bit of the damage.

Color melting usually uses multiple colors/shades to create a more mixed effect. It's also often more diffused and done with multiple color transitions (here's an example (http://www.haircolorsideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Pink-to-Blue-Ombre-by-Guy-Tang.jpg), but there are many, many kinds and they can look incredibly different even while using the same colors, so it's really important to bring specific photos, instructions and communicate your vision very clearly and know the colorist's style...).

Thank you for the advice Meteor! :flower:

Agnieszka
April 23rd, 2016, 06:59 AM
Good luck today and please update us with a photo :-) :popcorn:

Meteor that hairstylist Guy Tang really knows how to colour hair! He makes the best ombre/balayage...I wish it wasn't damaging ;-)

lapushka
April 23rd, 2016, 07:32 AM
Good luck today and please update us with a photo :-) :popcorn:

Meteor that hairstylist Guy Tang really knows how to colour hair! He makes the best ombre/balayage...I wish it wasn't damaging ;-)

Yes, give us an update and a new picture! :D Hope it all goes well!!!

summergame
April 23rd, 2016, 09:16 AM
I'm back at home. The hairdresser told me they couldn't do a balayage or something lighter because I have to much copper colored hair and it would be a disaster when they should bleach it. They chose a darker brown color and say that I better not bleach it at my temples because I have hudge hairfall due to alopecia androgenetica.

Picture:http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l359/Lucius1988/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160423_170750_zps2xflbg9v.jpg

meteor
April 23rd, 2016, 09:36 AM
^ Yay! Your hair looks so awesome!! :applause I'm so happy you managed to avoid the bleach - your hair will thank you for it! ;) And I love how responsible that hairdresser was! :thumbsup:

lapushka
April 23rd, 2016, 09:47 AM
It looks nice, but isn't it bad for your alopecia to undergo such dyeing processes at the hairdresser? Just wondering...

Aubren
April 23rd, 2016, 01:14 PM
I think you look beautiful, even more beautiful now than you originally did. Try not to pay any mind to the negative nancies.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2016, 01:41 PM
I think you look beautiful, even more beautiful now than you originally did. Try not to pay any mind to the negative nancies.

I wonder where you see the "negative nancies"? I haven't heard one negative comment on her hair yet.

MidnightMoon
April 23rd, 2016, 03:43 PM
I think that if the OP was asking for advice on what dye job would be best for her, not advice on how to care or encouragement not to bleach there was no point in giving it. Also, I believe she is probably aware of her condition or has google to educate herself on what she should or shouldnt do... its probably a bit discouraging and boring to read unsolicited advice on a topic meant to be more fun and adventurous. When someone is going for a change it isnt the best idea to go against ones wishes, specially if one shows no hesitation...so it seems a bit off. Thats what I think Aubren meant to say...
Ps. I bet you had good intentions lapushka but sometimes its good to just relax and not worry too much. Your advice is very well appreciated when people are in need of it :)

lapushka
April 23rd, 2016, 03:51 PM
I think that if the OP was asking for advice on what dye job would be best for her, not advice on how to care or encouragement not to bleach there was no point in giving it. Also, I believe she is probably aware of her condition or has google to educate herself on what she should or shouldnt do... its probably a bit discouraging and boring to read unsolicited advice on a topic meant to be more fun and adventurous. When someone is going for a change it isnt the best idea to go against ones wishes, specially if one shows no hesitation...so it seems a bit off. Thats what I think Aubren meant to say...
Ps. I bet you had good intentions lapushka but sometimes its good to just relax and not worry too much. Your advice is very well appreciated when people are in need of it :)

I'm not the only one who gave such advice, thankyouverymuch! I don't think it's very fair to single me out and pick on me for doing so. Besides, the OP doesn't seem to mind. :)

MidnightMoon
April 23rd, 2016, 03:59 PM
Well, youre the only who took Aubrens comment personally, so I assumed you were both addressing each other. I dont mean to offend anyone or start a discussion, I was only interpreting what she said and stating an opinion as well. If it were my thread Id feel discouraged and annoyed (Im sensitive like that) as there is a time and place for everything. Im glad its not the case to our knowledge, and see no reason to extend this conversation.

I like the OPs hair colour by the way, makes me think of gold and chocolate *-*

MidnightMoon
April 23rd, 2016, 04:05 PM
Ah, I forgot to comment on Guy Tang! I love his work too! I have probably watched most of his videos. He seems so fun and is so talented. I appreciate how much time he takes doing every persons hair in order for everything to end up perfect and the attention to detail. I specially love his fantasy dye jobs, and Im usually nervous/anxious during bleaching as sometimes his customers have very different hair colours and previous dyes and you never know how will they turn out once you wash away the bleach! The colour applying part is my favourite as its harder to mess that up haha. I then allow myself to relax and enjoy the final result.

meteor
April 23rd, 2016, 04:44 PM
I'm loving that gorgeous reverse ombre, summergame! :crush: It looks unique and the colors suit you so beautifully! :applause
By the way, in the original post, you mentioned planning to have an Olaplex treatment done during the color service... How did you like it? :) Did you notice a difference in condition, manageability, etc? :) Inquiring minds want to know. :eyebrows:

summergame
April 24th, 2016, 01:10 AM
It looks nice, but isn't it bad for your alopecia to undergo such dyeing processes at the hairdresser? Just wondering...

I know it is not the best thing I have done for it but the red copper was really ugly to grow out and it was bleached due to the sun in Thailand.
I don't think that I will go for ballayage in the future because of it.

summergame
April 24th, 2016, 01:11 AM
^ Yay! Your hair looks so awesome!! :applause I'm so happy you managed to avoid the bleach - your hair will thank you for it! ;) And I love how responsible that hairdresser was! :thumbsup:

Thanks Meteor! :)

summergame
April 24th, 2016, 01:12 AM

Thank you very much! :)

summergame
April 24th, 2016, 01:21 AM
I'm loving that gorgeous reverse ombre, summergame! :crush: It looks unique and the colors suit you so beautifully! :applause
By the way, in the original post, you mentioned planning to have an Olaplex treatment done during the color service... How did you like it? :) Did you notice a difference in condition, manageability, etc? :) Inquiring minds want to know. :eyebrows:

Thanks Meteor :) . it is funny becauce it wasn't mentioned to be an reverse ombre. They took 2 colors because my roots are much more lighted than the lenght and because the copper would be completly gone. I asked for Olaplex but they told me that a simple colorproces didn't need it and it would be a waste of money they said. So I didn't do it and my hair is still soft. :)

summergame
April 24th, 2016, 01:23 AM

Thank you!
I was indeed a bit discourated but I'm also a sensitive person. I understand the reaction also. :)

Agnieszka
April 24th, 2016, 02:37 AM
Thank you!
I was indeed a bit discourated but I'm also a sensitive person. I understand the reaction also. :)

:-( I'm really sorry you felt that way!!!:blossom: I'm sure everyone intentions were good. I like your new colour. Your hair looks healthy and shiny.

lapushka
April 24th, 2016, 03:36 AM
I know it is not the best thing I have done for it but the red copper was really ugly to grow out and it was bleached due to the sun in Thailand.
I don't think that I will go for ballayage in the future because of it.

You have to be careful, of course! I understand that all too well. Good luck! :D