PDA

View Full Version : what to do with my hair

Chocowalnut
April 21st, 2016, 03:58 PM
Hey everyone :)
So I received an amazing gift from a friend. She is paying for me to get my hair done by her stylist- whatever I want, she said. It's kind of a big deal to me, someone who could only afford $10 trims lol. I am super excited and want kind of a change, but don't want to stray from my ultimate goal (hip length hair+)... Right now it is at BSL. The bottom half is attempted bleached-out henna, and the top is natural. The bottom is in somewhat decent shape but has some damage that I'd eventually want gone. I am not opposed to getting a little bit cut off for this reason, but obviously I'd like to keep as much length as possible.
I am thinking about things that will allow me to keep growing out my natural color and growing my length but that also will give my hair some much needed flair and shape. Because most of the time right now it just seems flat and dull. I really like the idea of a U-shaped cut. Also considering layers, even though I do love braids, I feel it would bring so much life back to my hair. And for color I was thinking a balayage or something, which would still keep my natural color, but make it all look more natural and pretty. I don't know what color I would do though.
If anyone can give me your experience with the ideas I've mentioned or suggestions on other hairstyles you recommend for my hair type I would really appreciate it. And here is a pic of my hair now:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22600&d=1461275679

Breezy
April 21st, 2016, 04:18 PM
wow how nice of your friend. If I were you, I'd get it lightly trimmed and have a deep conditioning treating. You have pretty hair.

Chocowalnut
April 21st, 2016, 04:24 PM
wow how nice of your friend. If I were you, I'd get it lightly trimmed and have a deep conditioning treating. You have pretty hair.

Yes I was shocked at the present, she is very nice. And thanks for the compliment :)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 21st, 2016, 05:09 PM
Your friend is lovely! If I were you I would have a conditioning treatment but not the trim, I would just trim it myself. Stylists sometimes don't only trim "a little bit" and you could end up losing more hair than you want to.

Chocowalnut
April 21st, 2016, 05:12 PM
Your friend is lovely! If I were you I would have a conditioning treatment but not the trim, I would just trim it myself. Stylists sometimes don't only trim "a little bit" and you could end up losing more hair than you want to.

That's definitely true. I know it's happened to me and many here. The only thing though is I am really kind of wanting a V or U shaped hemline and/or some long layers. I wouldn't want to do that myself.

Chocowalnut
April 21st, 2016, 05:17 PM
My hair isn't this long yet, but I was kind of wanting something like this, and I could grow into it...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22602&d=1461280596

Sarahlabyrinth
April 21st, 2016, 05:20 PM
That's very pretty and would suit your hair well :)

meteor
April 21st, 2016, 05:32 PM
Aww, what a lovely gift! :D That's so nice of your friend! :applause

I think if I were in that situation, I would probably just try a conditioning treatment, e.g. Olaplex standalone treatment or maybe Pro Fiber (L'Oreal Professional) treatment.
But yes, it's a great opportunity to get nice layers or a new hemline or balayage if that's what you've been thinking about doing for a while. I'd just bring very specific photos, instructions and my own detangling comb (just in case, sometimes theirs are way too small and fine) and maybe ask to cut on dry hair (it can help respect the wave/curl pattern while layering), since your hair is textured?

Whatever you decide to do, I really hope it will go wonderfully well for you! :cheer:

mermaid lullaby
April 21st, 2016, 05:35 PM
I agree, being afraid to mess up your hemline and not having it look good because I did a self trim and it came out a combination of a v and u cut. Why not ask to just shape it and leave the length at the ends? I would like to add that maybe chelete and do a deep moisturizing treatment would probably do the trick. It might be weighed down by possible buildup or oils.

Chocowalnut
April 21st, 2016, 06:49 PM
That's very pretty and would suit your hair well :)
Thank you, I thought our wave patterns were kind of similar and I really like that cut and how it has so much shape.

Aww, what a lovely gift! :D That's so nice of your friend! :applause

I think if I were in that situation, I would probably just try a conditioning treatment, e.g. Olaplex standalone treatment or maybe Pro Fiber (L'Oreal Professional) treatment.
But yes, it's a great opportunity to get nice layers or a new hemline or balayage if that's what you've been thinking about doing for a while. I'd just bring very specific photos, instructions and my own detangling comb (just in case, sometimes theirs are way too small and fine) and maybe ask to cut on dry hair (it can help respect the wave/curl pattern while layering), since your hair is textured?

Whatever you decide to do, I really hope it will go wonderfully well for you! :cheer:

Awesome idea on bringing the comb! I have had this problem before, they use such fine tooth combs to detangle it's crazy. I will definitely do that. And yes everyone seems to be agreeing on a deep conditioning treatment/opalex type thing and I think it's a good idea. Thank you!

I agree, being afraid to mess up your hemline and not having it look good because I did a self trim and it came out a combination of a v and u cut. Why not ask to just shape it and leave the length at the ends? I would like to add that maybe chelete and do a deep moisturizing treatment would probably do the trick. It might be weighed down by possible buildup or oils.

Good idea. Could you explain what exactly chelate treatment is? I know about clarifying but not chelate, are they similar? Because yes I do feel it's weighed down or has build up or something because it seems so limp.

Llama
April 21st, 2016, 06:51 PM
It sounds like your friend trusts this stylist, right? If your friend has never complained about this stylist taking off more than she asks then I wouldn't worry about it happening to you. I would have her shape the hemline and put in some subtle layers if that is what you want! I think it would look really pretty and would make the growing out process more enjoyable if you aren't happy with the shape of your hair now.
I wouldn't suggest any more bleach, though. Maybe go darker? I think it would be pretty but I can't see your face so can't be sure lol.
Your friend sounds really nice!

littlestarface
April 21st, 2016, 07:12 PM
If your gonna have any dying or bleaching done I suggest to put some coconut oil few hours before.

Your so lucky!!!!! If that was me id get round layers with a U cut and a sombre or a couple of caramel highlights on top.

Good luck sweeety and have a nice time!

Horrorpops
April 21st, 2016, 07:22 PM
Ahh what a lovely present! I agree with Llama - your friend obviously trusts the stylist so I think it's ok to get a trim haha, the layers are a lovely idea! They do make braids a little less neat but I wear braids all the time so they are still very much a hairstyle that looks good on layered hair.

The balayage would look beautiful, I agree. My only concern would be bleach damage, bleaching over already lightened henna... That could be a massive process. But if the stylist had olaplex and I coconut oilled beforehand I could be willing to risk some damage if a balayage look was something you really wanted. They could also possibly just colour correct and tone the henna, could be less damaging than lightening it and would bring it back closer to your root colour - but it wouldn't give you a balayage look unfortunately!

A deep conditioning treatment is always nice as well so there is that!

So many options!! Love it! Have a great time and please post pics! :o

Chocowalnut
April 21st, 2016, 07:34 PM
Thank you all so much. Yes she trusts her and says she is great, so I think I'll be okay. And I agree I don't want to do anymore bleach so if I can't do a balayage look without it I probably would just try to correct and tone the henna to match my natural color (what I tried to do myself but it's still orange)..

If your gonna have any dying or bleaching done I suggest to put some coconut oil few hours before.

Your so lucky!!!!! If that was me id get round layers with a U cut and a sombre or a couple of caramel highlights on top.

Good luck sweeety and have a nice time!

What are round layers and sombre? Is that dif from ombre or just a typo? lol.

littlestarface
April 21st, 2016, 07:42 PM
Thank you all so much. Yes she trusts her and says she is great, so I think I'll be okay. And I agree I don't want to do anymore bleach so if I can't do a balayage look without it I probably would just try to correct and tone the henna to match my natural color (what I tried to do myself but it's still orange)..

What are round layers and sombre? Is that dif from ombre or just a typo? lol.

Lol nah not typo here https://www.google.com/search?q=sombre+black+hair&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiqrfzLjaHMAhUJ0mMKHYg3COcQ_AUIBygB&biw=1366&bih=599#imgrc=VSCzug9PK6vDfM%3A

and round layers look like this abit http://vid.blogspot.website/Download/0lLqLk-pwfM/How-I-Cut-Layers-in-My-Hair-AT-HOME dont click on anything but that looks close.

Chocowalnut
April 21st, 2016, 07:55 PM
Lol nah not typo here https://www.google.com/search?q=sombre+black+hair&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiqrfzLjaHMAhUJ0mMKHYg3COcQ_AUIBygB&biw=1366&bih=599#imgrc=VSCzug9PK6vDfM%3A

and round layers look like this abit http://vid.blogspot.website/Download/0lLqLk-pwfM/How-I-Cut-Layers-in-My-Hair-AT-HOME dont click on anything but that looks close.

Oh ok, yes those are pretty :)

Horrorpops
April 21st, 2016, 08:05 PM
Actually, since your ends are already lighter than your roots the hairdresser may be able to do an balayage without bleaching, potentially by darkening up surrounding ends to make the henna+lightened ends look like a balayage... If that makes sense? I think that is a more difficult technique than just painting in highlights like normal, but it is possible :D

Chocowalnut
April 21st, 2016, 08:07 PM
Actually, since your ends are already lighter than your roots the hairdresser may be able to do an balayage without bleaching, potentially by darkening up surrounding ends to make the henna+lightened ends look like a balayage... If that makes sense? I think that is a more difficult technique than just painting in highlights like normal, but it is possible :D

That would be cool if she could do that, thanks for the idea :)

Chocowalnut
May 19th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Just giving an update on how the salon visit went. Overall very happy- she listened when I told her I'm trying to grow really long and also don't want to touch my natural color. I lost a little length but by the end of the year I should be at where I was or a little longer. Seems that I am still at bsl. It's mainly the sides that are shorter since I asked for a v-cut, which turned out really subtle anyways. But I'm happy it looks a lot more natural now and no more orange!! No more harsh demarcation line and hair color differences. Finally. Not that henna isn't awesome, part of me loves it. Also it is healthier (when I bleached the henna out on my own I couldn't really let it air dry b/c the ends were getting too frizzy). Now that bit is cut off and I can let it air dry again which is how I like to do it most washes.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23065&d=1463696866

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23064&d=1463696866