PDA

View Full Version : Biting your tongue in the hair products aisle

Silverbrumby
April 20th, 2016, 04:49 PM
I succeeded in not giving unsolicited advice at CVS pharmacy today. A young teen gal and her dad were searching for a product to protect her very curly hair from hair iron damage and straightening. Managed to 'not' inject myself into the situation as I could tell to this girl, having straight hair was important. It was difficult to watch the dad pick up products and say "oh this will protect your hair from heat". Me thinking 'oh NO it wont'.

Anyway, I hope she one day embraces those wonderful curls.

spidermom
April 20th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Good for you! Unasked-for advice usually doesn't go over very well.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 20th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Oh, I KNOW - this happens to me so often and I have to restrain myself from giving unsolicited advice.... it's so hard not to say something.....

Nique1202
April 20th, 2016, 05:02 PM
It's hard sometimes to not give unsolicited advice, so it's an admirable thing to do to not butt in even if you know that the marketing of these products is misleading at best. I hope I don't come across as condescending or patronizing if I say congratulations on being a kind stranger instead of an interfering one. :applause :blossom:

(Depending on her hair length and microscopic structure it might not matter anyway, especially if heat is the only damage she's doing to it. Some hair is especially prone to heat damage but mostly people don't see a lot of effects from it except dryness until midback or so anyway and some folks can straighten after every wash and not see problems for much longer still. So, you can take some comfort at least if you imagine she's in the latter group. :whistle: )

endlessly
April 20th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Good for you! I've been there before, too, and it's definitely tempting...like when you hear someone complaining about their hair not growing and how they need to get it cut to stimulate growth. Honestly, I mostly just shake my head a lot.

Stormynights
April 20th, 2016, 09:25 PM
I will tell girls that I think their curls are beautiful. No, they do not listen but if they hear it often enough one of these days it might sink in.

lapushka
April 21st, 2016, 05:44 AM
I know what I was like as a teen - I don't think I would have accepted advice from anyone. I think my mom knew that. :lol: She actually liked the crimping because my hair was such a wavy poofy mess (I didn't know how to deal with the waves and yes, brushed it all out *every time*).

Anya15
April 21st, 2016, 06:50 AM
I think you did well :)

A lot of people I knew as a teen would flat-iron their hair with a...well, clothes iron :D I remember asking my mom if I could try it and she said a big firm NO. Now I thank her for it - at least I don't have any heat damage!