PDA

View Full Version : Hair cuts: Questions about layers

Persiangirl01
April 20th, 2016, 02:12 AM
Hi everyone!

So I have had an itch lately to get subtle layers put in my hair the next time I go for a trim (August). I really want a few face framing pieces or maybe even side bangs and then subtle layers that start from just above the breast, but I want to keep my thick hemline, and not get the V-cut that happens with heavy layering. Is it possible to get a hairstyle like this? What should I be asking my hairstylist for her to give me the cut i want?:hmm:

I remember asking for bangs a few years back and the hairdresser I went to at that time said that if she did that, she would have to start my layers from my jawline to "blend it in". I told her to please make the layers longer, since I didn't need it to blend in that perfectly, but she did not listen to me and I ended up with a cut that looked like a bob from the front!! I was absolutely horrified and have been cutting out layers ever since.:couch:

Now I think that the layers will help add a bit of movement to my hair, now that it is getting longer. Has anyone here got subtle layers? And has it helped to give your hair a bit more movement and shape perhaps?

Pictures would definitely be appreciated! :flower:

Horrorpops
April 20th, 2016, 02:20 AM
I think it works best if you can find a few pictures of the layers you like, rather than trying to explain it all to your hair dresser. That way it reduces (but not eliminates unfortunately) the risk of miscommunication. With pictures you can also then point to the parts you like the best etc :o

I love having my layers because I do think it gives me good movement and wave in my hair!

Anya15
April 20th, 2016, 04:37 AM
You should absolutely take a picture with you! Or if you're into it, cut your hair yourself.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=133125 This thread explains the 'compact cut' method - you can get some long layers with that. User Lapushka has used this technique and she has nice subtle layers without the V hemline you mention. I also like this video by Loepsie where she shows how to cut long layers with angles and face framing pieces. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCfPAYxCahA

Btw, I am currently growing out that "front looks like a bob" stage! :lol: The layers I have at the back have grown long, but the front ones really do look like a bob. I am never going to get my hair cut at a salon again.

lapushka
April 20th, 2016, 05:59 AM
You should absolutely take a picture with you! Or if you're into it, cut your hair yourself.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=133125 This thread explains the 'compact cut' method - you can get some long layers with that. User Lapushka has used this technique and she has nice subtle layers without the V hemline you mention. I also like this video by Loepsie where she shows how to cut long layers with angles and face framing pieces. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCfPAYxCahA

Btw, I am currently growing out that "front looks like a bob" stage! :lol: The layers I have at the back have grown long, but the front ones really do look like a bob. I am never going to get my hair cut at a salon again.

No I do have a V-hem, anou! The compact cut method (either technique), whether you use the ponytail on the top of the head method, or the ponytail on the top of the forehead method - they will both give you a V hem. But after that you could use Feye's self-trimming method for a blunt cut and cut a bit off. You might lose quite a bit of length, though to even out the V in back! I think at least the 6 inches you cut off trying to layer well.

Anya15
April 20th, 2016, 06:18 AM
No I do have a V-hem, anou! The compact cut method (either technique), whether you use the ponytail on the top of the head method, or the ponytail on the top of the forehead method - they will both give you a V hem. But after that you could use Feye's self-trimming method for a blunt cut and cut a bit off. You might lose quite a bit of length, though to even out the V in back! I think at least the 6 inches you cut off trying to layer well.

But it's not that super deep V you can get with heavy layering, is it?

Robot Ninja
April 20th, 2016, 06:37 AM

If you put the ponytail at the hairline it's definitely a deep V. I don't cut very much off but my front bits are at hip, while the longest bits are just past classic; that's at least a 10-inch difference.

lapushka
April 20th, 2016, 07:08 AM

No, it *is* that heavy, even heavier, because the inside of the V is layered as well, so you'll have quite wispy hair in the bottom 10 inches of your hair if you're less than a iii.

I don't recommend these methods for hair shorter than or around BSL anyway, because it layers a *lot* and you'll have quite short bits in front if you cut it from that length!

Anya15
April 20th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Oh sorry, I assumed it wasn't that deep because it didn't look deep in your photos xD

lapushka
April 20th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Oh sorry, I assumed it wasn't that deep because it didn't look deep in your photos xD

It depends on how the hair lays. I do have a V, I promise you. :D

LongCurlyTress
April 20th, 2016, 08:28 AM
If face- framing layers are what interests you, there are many self-trimming tutorial videos that show how to do this on your own hair. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp0uuLlvgMI This is just one, but it will lead you to many others to learn from.

Something you can do is just part your hair from front of ear-over the crown to the other ear and section off this front area. Then do the compact cut starting at chin length as your guide, so this would only layer into the front and sides, and not the back length. Then you could blend the sides into the back length if you don't go too short, and keep your shortest layers beginning at chin length or maybe a bit longer.

I will never ever ever!! trust a hairstylist again. EVER!!! ;) Did I say "ever" enough? Just checking...lol...:p I have PTSD from the last stylist who chopped my hair up and then dyed it almost black...level 3 when I am naturally a level 6. That was when I had to do a big chin length curly bob chop whiich had been at waist or longer... to get rid of the dye. Never again!:guns::taz::taz::taz::taz:

hobbitlocks
April 20th, 2016, 02:51 PM
I think I have about what you're asking for - The last time I got a professional haircut (sept 2015) I asked for long layers all around and and then really long side swept bangs (and no blending!) and I liked it :) I don't think I have a pronounced v hemline, but I'm also really bad at length pictures. I'm going to wash my hair tonight so maybe I will try to get a good one tomorrow. It's a bit grown out now, but my layers are mostly from bsl down now (I'm a bit past waist at the longest) with some of what was my face framing pieces (they were like chin length, cut to be like really long side swept bangs because i like to be able to put them behind my ears) are maybe apl now? maybe shorter (my hair is currently braided so i can't check). Although I'm growing out damage from my bike helmet around my hair line, so I still have lots of shorter pieces around my face! :)

I think the really long/subtle layers are hard to do by yourself. At least, I haven't figured out a way - I think the compact cut would make the layers much shorter. I have to be really firm on the "no blending" with hair dressers. I have kind of a round face and when they angle out blended layers starting at my chin it is SO unflattering. I would say if a hairdressers doesn't want to do the cut without it just leave.

Nique1202
April 20th, 2016, 04:52 PM
The further back you do a compact cut, the less steep the V will be. Right now I have layers from a compact cut straight up from my crown and while my wurls might distort the effect a little, it's not pointy at the bottom at all, it's really a deep U more than a V since there's less of a difference between the longest and shortest sections, and the longest sections have less far to stretch so they don't thin out so significantly.

What that means, though, is that if you just want a few inches layered at the bottom you could do a ponytail straight off the back of your head to cut off. If you make a medium-height ponytail (right at the bony occipital bulge above the spine, if that makes sense, about halfway between the nape and the crown) then you should just have a few inches of layers at the bottom to add movement, and the U/V effect should be almost invisible. The higher you do the ponytail, the more layering you'll get, and the lower, the less.

I wish I could get pictures of my hair as it is now to show the difference, but the lighting in my bathroom is terrible and the bottom of my hair is no longer visible in the mirror anyway because I'm so short.

spidermom
April 20th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Something you can do is just part your hair from front of ear-over the crown to the other ear and section off this front area. Then do the compact cut starting at chin length as your guide, so this would only layer into the front and sides, and not the back length. Then you could blend the sides into the back length if you don't go too short, and keep your shortest layers beginning at chin length or maybe a bit longer.

I was going to say this. Also, if you position the ponytail for all your hair at the top/back of your head for the compact cut method, the layers will only be in the ends. I think I have a picture from when I did that.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/summerlength.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/summerlength.jpg.html)

Oh, and after doing the compact cut method, I brought half of my hair in front of each shoulder and combed it all together into a ponytail under my chin. I then slid a closed book down the ponytail to pull everything absolutely even and straight and cut about 1/2 inch from the very bottom. I don't like for my ends to look too wispy.

Persiangirl01
April 21st, 2016, 02:17 AM

It is the worst length right! It doesn't matter what your length is at the back, your hair still looks so short to most people because they see your "bob" shudder:

I don't recommend these methods for hair shorter than or around BSL anyway, because it layers a *lot* and you'll have quite short bits in front if you cut it from that length!

Thank you for that Lapushka! I will definitely not try that then :agree:

If face- framing layers are what interests you, there are many self-trimming tutorial videos that show how to do this on your own hair. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp0uuLlvgMI This is just one, but it will lead you to many others to learn from.

I will never ever ever!! trust a hairstylist again. EVER!!! ;) Did I say "ever" enough? Just checking...lol...:p I have PTSD from the last stylist who chopped my hair up and then dyed it almost black...level 3 when I am naturally a level 6. That was when I had to do a big chin length curly bob chop whiich had been at waist or longer... to get rid of the dye. Never again

Thank you for the video! I'll be sure to check it out. I did Youtube a few videos, but I am rather nervous to cut layers into my own hair. I've never even trimmed my own hair before! :laugh:

Your method for cutting layers is brilliant though! If I really am too scared to get my hairstylist to do it, then I think that is what I'll try. When I go to her again I'll tell her and show her what I want, and if she doesn't agree, I will just leave! I do trust her though. I've been to her twice, 6 months apart so I don't think she even knows who I am. She always asked me if what she was about to trim off was okay. So if there is anyone I will trust to do my layers, it would be her!

Persiangirl01
April 21st, 2016, 02:23 AM
I think I have about what you're asking for - The last time I got a professional haircut (sept 2015) I asked for long layers all around and and then really long side swept bangs (and no blending!) and I liked it :) I don't think I have a pronounced v hemline, but I'm also really bad at length pictures. I'm going to wash my hair tonight so maybe I will try to get a good one tomorrow. It's a bit grown out now, but my layers are mostly from bsl down now (I'm a bit past waist at the longest) with some of what was my face framing pieces (they were like chin length, cut to be like really long side swept bangs because i like to be able to put them behind my ears) are maybe apl now? maybe shorter (my hair is currently braided so i can't check). Although I'm growing out damage from my bike helmet around my hair line, so I still have lots of shorter pieces around my face! :)

I think the really long/subtle layers are hard to do by yourself. At least, I haven't figured out a way - I think the compact cut would make the layers much shorter. I have to be really firm on the "no blending" with hair dressers. I have kind of a round face and when they angle out blended layers starting at my chin it is SO unflattering. I would say if a hairdressers doesn't want to do the cut without it just leave.

Please, please, please would you put pics here of what it looks like from the front and back, Hobbitlocks? :pray: That does sound like it is exactly what I am looking for! I am definitely going to tell my hairdresser to not blend at all! I think we know what works better for our face shapes than what they do, no offense to them! And at the end of the day WE have to live with the cut they give us, not them. :wigtongue

Persiangirl01
April 21st, 2016, 02:28 AM
I was going to say this. Also, if you position the ponytail for all your hair at the top/back of your head for the compact cut method, the layers will only be in the ends. I think I have a picture from when I did that.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/summerlength.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/summerlength.jpg.html)

Oh, and after doing the compact cut method, I brought half of my hair in front of each shoulder and combed it all together into a ponytail under my chin. I then slid a closed book down the ponytail to pull everything absolutely even and straight and cut about 1/2 inch from the very bottom. I don't like for my ends to look too wispy.

Your hair is absolutely gorgeous! And it doesn't look heavily layered at all! If I am brave enough to try cut my own hair, I will definitely follow those tips. Thank you so much! :)

Anya15
April 21st, 2016, 04:39 AM
It is the worst length right! It doesn't matter what your length is at the back, your hair still looks so short to most people because they see your "bob" :shudder:

The "bob" layers are shoulder+ right now and since they are so short, they are straightish (I am a wurly so the rest of my hair is well...wurly.) They have begun to have flippy ends now (will probably form waves when they are longer) they look so awkward right now!!! Weird straightish bob layers and the rest, wurly hair :lol:

lapushka
April 21st, 2016, 05:10 AM
I think my shortest layers are about BSL now with a compact cut (forehead ponytail) up to classic - so you see how short it layers? That is why I don't recommend it when your hair is BSL, you'll for sure have shoulder to chin length pieces (I think, I'm guessing).

Nique1202
April 21st, 2016, 06:26 AM
I think my shortest layers are about BSL now with a compact cut (forehead ponytail) up to classic - so you see how short it layers? That is why I don't recommend it when your hair is BSL, you'll for sure have shoulder to chin length pieces (I think, I'm guessing).

Yup, when I did the front hairline ponytail at my waist length I had sections at the front that weren't even chin length and wouldn't go into ponytails, let alone buns, for a month or two afterward. HUGE mistake. My waist length is about equivalent to most folks' BSL or midback (27.5 inches from front hairline to longest section) so I'd definitely recommend waiting at until at least most folks' hip length or BCL to even try a front hairline compact cut, and I'd still probably recommend they start with compact cuts further back on the head first to see if they even like the effect.

lapushka
April 21st, 2016, 06:56 AM
Yup, when I did the front hairline ponytail at my waist length I had sections at the front that weren't even chin length and wouldn't go into ponytails, let alone buns, for a month or two afterward. HUGE mistake. My waist length is about equivalent to most folks' BSL or midback (27.5 inches from front hairline to longest section) so I'd definitely recommend waiting at until at least most folks' hip length or BCL to even try a front hairline compact cut, and I'd still probably recommend they start with compact cuts further back on the head first to see if they even like the effect.

Well there's only 2 techniques in the "real" compact cut method, the one from the book, "Haircutting for dummies". The one technique is where you place the ponytail on the forehead. The other is where you place the ponytail on the top of the head. But nothing stops you from -indeed- trying it further down the head. I'm not sure about the results but it seems that spidermom tested it out for us and had good results. Where did you place the ponytail, again, spidermom?

Nique1202
April 21st, 2016, 07:25 AM
Well there's only 2 techniques in the "real" compact cut method, the one from the book, "Haircutting for dummies". The one technique is where you place the ponytail on the forehead. The other is where you place the ponytail on the top of the head. But nothing stops you from -indeed- trying it further down the head. I'm not sure about the results but it seems that spidermom tested it out for us and had good results. Where did you place the ponytail, again, spidermom?

I've done it as well, from the crown, as I posted earlier in the thread. From the crown, at least, it's more like a very deep U, the longest sections more rounded off rather than pointed. I plan to work my way with the same method down the back of my head to keep the layers even as I grow them out, rather than just trimming off the bottom and having my hemline angled down to a flat line.

I've never been one to stay inside the box when I see a way to adapt things to work the way I want them to.

LongCurlyTress
April 21st, 2016, 09:33 AM
@ spidermom... your length looks thick and beautiful!!

@ Persiangirl01 ... good luck!! I am glad you like the video I posted. No matter which technique you use, I would start very conservatively and only cut a little at a time beginning with only the front section as I mentioned below. I am currently trying to grow out my layers from a Creaclip in June 2014 and those last 3ish thinner layers in my hemline (in siggy pic) are driving me nuts right now. Just sayin'.... :rolleyes: I really, really regret cutting them in, but many love their layers... so ya gotta do what feels right for you... ;) IMO, layers do look beautiful if you wear your hair down alot, but if you bun it alot, then they can drive you nuts like mine do me.... :couch: