PDA

View Full Version : Why do I suddenly have increased shedding?

Anya15
April 19th, 2016, 07:35 AM
I've been shedding a bit more than usual in the past week. No major diet changes. I do have finals so I am under a bit of stress I suppose. Should I worry about the shedding?

lapushka
April 19th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Shedding from stress usually shows 3 months after that event. It's not an immediate response. But spring is here, so most, well a lot of us go through what is called a "spring shed". You have a "fall shed" as well. If you shed more during those seasons, it's usually no big deal.

Anya15
April 19th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Oh. I remember seeing slightly increased shedding around October last year - would that be a fall shed?

Anje
April 19th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Oh. I remember seeing slightly increased shedding around October last year - would that be a fall shed?
Probably. I know I've notice that I at least tend to lose a bit more hair in the fall. Haven't seen any increase with it yet this spring.

I have no idea whether climate affects this.

Horrorpops
April 19th, 2016, 07:41 PM
Anou I am shedding like crazy as well!! Are our hairs connected somehow I feel like we're both having a lot of the same problems haha :o

I've put mine down to stress and summer ending - however I didn't realise stress affected hair shedding 3mths down the track. Thats really interesting Lapushka!

I wonder if more sustained stress (like 1yr+) could be affecting my hair?

I also find it hard to tell if I am just noticing sheds more the longer my hair gets? Who knows! :)

Anya15
April 19th, 2016, 08:10 PM
About climate, well, it is very hot right now, and we don't have a 'spring' and it's summer right now so... Not sure how that would affect my hair.

Horrorpops, we do have the same hairtype (except that mine is more M, but there are so many fine strands that I'd say about a third of it is F!), we are also at a similar length!

I suppose I should just wait and watch.

MsPharaohMoan
April 19th, 2016, 08:27 PM
These articles might be helpful:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/content.php?r=44-Essential-Oils-For-Hair-Loss-and-Shedding-by-jessie58

and

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/content.php?r=45-Essential-oils-for-hair-loss-and-shedding-Meg-s-Method-by-Meg_Evenstar

PurpleKitty11
April 21st, 2016, 04:54 PM
i am the exact same way! just yesterday i noticed a ton of unsual shedding. Normally i dont shed very much at at and i have made no changes so im guessing i am spring shedding, this has never happened to me before.

Horrorpops
April 21st, 2016, 07:05 PM
About climate, well, it is very hot right now, and we don't have a 'spring' and it's summer right now so... Not sure how that would affect my hair.

Horrorpops, we do have the same hairtype (except that mine is more M, but there are so many fine strands that I'd say about a third of it is F!), we are also at a similar length!

I suppose I should just wait and watch.

Hahahaha that's true! Well I hope both of our shedding improves soon :)

MsPharoahMoan - thanks for sharing those articled they're very interesting. Honestly I am not a big user of essential oils etc because they're so expensive to get where I live but if the shedding continues and I notice any changes in thickness I'll be glad to have those to try :)

lapushka
April 22nd, 2016, 07:00 AM
I've put mine down to stress and summer ending - however I didn't realise stress affected hair shedding 3mths down the track. Thats really interesting Lapushka!

It's a given around here. Not something I came up with, for sure.

Horrorpops
April 22nd, 2016, 07:30 AM
It's a given around here. Not something I came up with, for sure.

Yeah it definitely makes sense :o

casiopeia
April 22nd, 2016, 07:40 AM
I think it's seasonal shedding. I've been shedding more since the beginning of April too and now it has slowed down.

Anya15
April 22nd, 2016, 07:44 AM
My shedding dramatically went down a few days ago. Not sure what is going on. :hmm:

Pat Wright
April 22nd, 2016, 07:48 AM
Shedding from stress usually shows 3 months after that event. It's not an immediate response. But spring is here, so most, well a lot of us go through what is called a "spring shed". You have a "fall shed" as well. If you shed more during those seasons, it's usually no big deal.

You made my day! I've been shedding more too. I was hoping it was seasonal. I don't always eat perfectly (ED). but I do watch my protein and vitamins and minerals. Overall it's not too bad.

Pearly~91
April 22nd, 2016, 09:26 AM
I'm echoing others, probably a seasonal shed, but I wanted to add a bit. I find that my "seasonal shed" is exacerbated by changes in the weather. Extra humidity makes me shed more, or extra activity in humid weather (and the perspiration that comes with it) seems to give me short periods of extra shedding. It helps if I can keep my scalp as dry as possible.