PDA

View Full Version : Small knots caused by tiny thread-like things

Estrid
April 18th, 2016, 10:52 AM
I've experiences more and more of these with my hair getting longer. At first I thought that it was just that my ends were damaged, but now I see that in every little tangle (~ 5-10 hairs involved) there is a little fabric fragment, those tiny thread-like things... not sure how to explain it but I hope you understand.

I suppose I might get less of them if I have my hair up all the time, but can I really do anything else to prevent those from making little tangles in my hair?

This is really driving me nuts.

Hairkay
April 18th, 2016, 11:12 AM
I've experiences more and more of these with my hair getting longer. At first I thought that it was just that my ends were damaged, but now I see that in every little tangle (~ 5-10 hairs involved) there is a little fabric fragment, those tiny thread-like things... not sure how to explain it but I hope you understand.

I suppose I might get less of them if I have my hair up all the time, but can I really do anything else to prevent those from making little tangles in my hair?

This is really driving me nuts.

That's lint. It comes from clothing especially fluffy materials. It may help sleeping on a silk/satin pillowcase and or use a bonnet of the same material if you haven't already done so. Hats may need to be silk/satin lined and the same with some collars. Since your hair is longer there's more of it to brush on clothing.

Estrid
April 18th, 2016, 11:31 AM
That's lint. It comes from clothing especially fluffy materials. It may help sleeping on a silk/satin pillowcase and or use a bonnet of the same material if you haven't already done so. Hats may need to be silk/satin lined and the same with some collars. Since your hair is longer there's more of it to brush on clothing.

Thank you, I couldn't find the word at all, and now I know why: I don't think I've ever heard the word before, not even in my own language x)

I have a silk bonnet, but I rarely use it because it falls down over my eyes CONSTANTLY, but I have thought about investing in a scarf. I don't think I'll ever have money or patience enough to line everything with silk, but I could have my hair up or use the silk scarf while at home, and then just deal with it if I go out and decide to have my hair down...

Hmm...

Marika
April 18th, 2016, 12:22 PM
I have the same problem. What's been helping me is brushing (I use Tangle Teezer) because it removes the lint quite effectively. I had been strictly a 'wide tooth comb only' for 10+ years, so the brushing feels amazing after all these years! :) I don't use oils anymore because after oiling, my hair was always extra-linty (that's not a word, is it?)! :D I guess oils attract lint, probably all the leave-in products. I always wear my hair up (buns) but that doesn't seem to help :confused: I have no idea where the lint comes from but I would love to get rid of it.

Anje
April 18th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Yep, sounds like you've got lint. (We also use the word to describe the fluff that collects on the filter in the hot air tumbling clothes dryers that are common in the USA.)

It might be worth trying a different type of towel, since terrycloth (normal towel material) is often quite linty. Also pay attention to your shirts -- the worst I ever had for such things was a chenille sweater that left my hair (and skin) coated in fuzzy material.

The fine undercoat hair from my cats is another common source for lint for me, and not one I'm likely to escape from.

Personally, I've found that oiled hair tends to collect it worse. Some people opt for serum for that reason, but I personally find serum drying, so I prefer oil or nothing at all. When it's really bad is the only time I use a BBB in my hair. I'll start from the ends and work my way up, just like detangling, filling the brush with all the lint that was in my hair.

Kimberly
April 18th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Lint makes my hair tangle and makes terrible knots. I switched to a satin pillowcase and gave up using flannel sheets, which create a lot of lint. Just these two things made a big difference. Also, as others have said, brushing is great for lint removal.

Estrid
April 21st, 2016, 12:08 AM
I guess I will start brushing my hair every day, get that silk scarf, and try to avoid fabrics that are... "linty" :p

I never oil my hair except in the shower (rinse out oil), but it was a while ago now (got lazy).

Thank you all for the answers, hopefully it gets better with the silk scarf and brushing ;)

Komao
April 21st, 2016, 07:43 AM
I'm going to try all the suggestions here as well as I've been experiencing the same problem as my hair is halfway between bcl and classic. Thanks for starting this thread, ESTRID.

LongCurlyTress
April 21st, 2016, 08:56 AM
I get these "fairy knots" from detangling my curls mostly... I think the individual hairs just knot up once in awhile. I just clip it out and carry on. Don't tear them out... as this will tear the cuticle. Just cut the strand above the knot straight across. Mine are usually way too tight to try to pick the knot out with a pin, so one snip and done. ;)