PDA

View Full Version : I want hair like Pantene Pro V ladies

SophieGrowGrow
October 16th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I think Pantene Pro V is evil, I have used pantene and it makes my hair dry, frizzy, gives me dandruff & fluffy.Ive tried alot of their hair stuff. LIES, all lies.

this was when I moved up to more expencive brands which do have a better results but no matter what, the hair on pantene pro v adverts seems something of a dream, even keeping in mind that there is some digital trickery ive seen girls with super shiney hair.

this bothers me, so I need tips on how to make my virgin naturally raven black curly/wavey hair shiney and soft otherwise I may have to protest outside their HQ.

Shanarana
October 16th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I'm not a big Pantene fan anymore, though I do like to use cones once and a while I just use different products.

I usually don't buy into the expensive brands...you can do just as well with the lower cost items. I use the Suave or VO5 brands and have great results. Those are non-cones and my hair seems to like that best.

lora410
October 16th, 2008, 06:11 AM
well you better get the glossing spray and soft box light out..j/k anyway yes my hair hated pantene to. I use non cones, oil on damp hair, and just stay away from all bad stuff. My hair isn't gonna blind anyone anytime soon, but at least it looks moisturized and healthy :)

SophieGrowGrow
October 16th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I would wash my hair with toilet water if it ended up looking like hair from those adverts. So a soft box light dosn't seem like that big of an ask, or that bad of an idea! :P

Presto
October 16th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I read somewhere that the Pantene hair in commercials is photoshopped or altered somewhat. Could be true, who knows. Pantene does not work for my hair either, but I'm a CO girl now, and I have Pantene hair without Pantene. Not everyone would agree, but it looks so much better than before it's Pantene hair now in my mind. :D

RavennaNight
October 16th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I find my hair gets super shiny when I use VO5 and air dry with coconut oil and aloe gel. I do on occasion use cones, I particularly like Prann's line of products for coney stuff. The cones aren't high on the ingredient lists, either. I get superior shine from the Prann as well.

lora410
October 16th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I would wash my hair with toilet water if it ended up looking like hair from those adverts. So a soft box light dosn't seem like that big of an ask, or that bad of an idea! :P

Honestly, I would love to see what these pantene ladies hair looks like when its not in a commercial :evil:

Carolyn
October 16th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Honestly, I would love to see what these pantene ladies hair looks like when its not in a commercial :evil:I would too :p I bet LHC hair looks a lot better. I've read that the models only have to have Pantene products used on their hair on the day of the photoshoot. They don't have to use the products daily in their real lives. I've also read there is special lighting used and products to make the hair shine. So that would say that "Pantene" hair is only achievable under those circumstances ;)

Lady Verity
October 16th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Smoke and mirrors, I think.

I've used Pantene when it's on cheapo offers - the pink one - and it smells good and the cones are nice, but otherwise I'm not overly impressed.

Curlsgirl
October 16th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I can get that same hair in a good salon with a good blow-drying and the right products. BUT in the long run it would KILL my hair to do all that stuff to it. I would rather have healthy natural hair (well except for my highlights ;) ). I quit trying a long time ago to get someone's elses hair. I would say work WITH your own natural wave and hair because it is just frustrating otherwise.

BTW, my hair despises Pantene except for the curl gel.

paper
October 16th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Pantene made my hair dry and frizzy too. I now use Giovanni Smooth As Silk. Love it!

mortiziia
October 16th, 2008, 07:19 AM
One of my brother's friends won the Pantene Hair Prize in Spain last year, check the commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3FKhh7IO7s) (it's in Spanish, just look at the girl's hair). I know this girl personally, she uses nothing but Pantene in her hair and she actually HAS that hair in real life, it's not a commercial trick. I don't think Pantene is bad per se, but you have to be blessed by nature with that sort of hair, otherwise it doesn't matter how many good products, how many expensive treatmens you use, your hair (nor mine) will never look that way.

Now, my mother has never used conditioner in her life, washes her hair daily with whatever's cheapest (sometimes with washing up liquid, no kidding) and has the most perfect, silky, shiny, smooth, flawless straight black hair (now with a lot of whites, too, she's going to be 50 next month). No Pantene, no nothing, just nature. I wish I had inherited her hair (sigh!!).

Tap Dancer
October 16th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I love their new Beautiful Lengths conditioner. It works better than their other conditioners, IMO. I haven't tried the shampoo, though.

mira-chan
October 16th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Pantene makes my hair look like plastic doll hair, not the pretty kind. Makes it feel like that too. I've had better results in getting that shine with fenugreek herb masks and coconut oil.

Loviatar
October 16th, 2008, 07:56 AM
My hair loathes Pantene, after the first wash - but I get the Pantene shine through using henna, honey in my conditioner (I CO wash), and oil on damp hair. I used coconut oil last night and my hair is 'blinding but not greasy' today.

Chanterelle
October 16th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I used coconut oil last night and my hair is 'blinding but not greasy' today.
Lucky you!
I tried coconut oiling for the first time last night and was bitterly disappointed. All I got was absolutely unmanageable hair with dry brittle ends. I'm feeling so frustrated. :( Maybe I did something wrong or maybe I just expected too much. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I hate Pantene.

plainjanegirl
October 16th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I love their new Beautiful Lengths conditioner. It works better than their other conditioners, IMO. I haven't tried the shampoo, though.

I bought the Beautiful Lengths shampoo and also the conditioner last week. These have made my hair really soft. I will probably switch it up to another brand when these are gone since that is always a good rule of thumb but I am sure I will come back to this often.

I am shocked by how many people do not like Pantene.

serious
October 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I agree with mira-chan,fenugreek really does miracles !

Angelica
October 16th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Most of the commercials regarding shampoos etc., feature models/actresses who wear hair extensions. This is being stated now in small print in magazines.

gallows_gallery
October 16th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Sophie,

I found that pantene was great on my natural, undyed hair when I was about 12-17, but after I dyed it, the effect wasn't as good.

Have you ever tried Redken Heavy Cream? If you're anti-cones then it's not for you, but if you don't mind...IT IS AMAZING. It comes in a huge gold tub, and although it's expensive it lasts for ever and is absolutely worth it. It is the closest I can get to Pantene-advert hair!

I have fine, straight hair, and it works absolute wonders on it - it's like silk. One of the most awesome things about this product is that I swear it lasts for about another 2-3 washes. You know how when you do a treatment, after the next wash it's gone? This one's soft and silky effect seems to stay for almost a week. Yes - this could be because it is putting some evil coating on my hair - but I've been using it for ages and never noticed any build up. Its just GREAT.

My boyfriend has super thick, coarse hair with big curls. It's about chest-length, and feels like frizzy iron wool. He lets me brush and play with his hair, and one night he let me put the heavy cream in it (we sat with gladwrap heads and watched mean girls - I love him) the results were amazing - his hair was 50000000 times silkier, softer and the curls looked a lot more flowing and relaxed. Not to mention amazing shine and no frizz. My sister and another friend of mine Alex all swear by it.

If you decide to use it, the instructions say to leave it on for 10 minutes...leave it for for AT LEAST an hour. This gives the best results.

Chanterelle
October 16th, 2008, 12:27 PM
gallows_gallery,

Your advice wasn't for me but thanks a lot. I'm definitely going to try it :)

sunspark*
October 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I have tried the Pantene products too and results were NOTHING like the commercials - I just got the dry, frizzy hair you all talk about. Deceptive advertising!!

And thanks gallows_gallery, I will try the conditioner you mentioned - it sounds good.

Anje
October 16th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Lucky you!
I tried coconut oiling for the first time last night and was bitterly disappointed. All I got was absolutely unmanageable hair with dry brittle ends. I'm feeling so frustrated. :( Maybe I did something wrong or maybe I just expected too much. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I hate Pantene.
Wash the coconut oil out. Try getting your ends totally wet, then smushing coconut oil in and squeezing out the excess. A lot of us get crunchy ends from coconut oil if we apply it to dry hair.

I now return you to your Pantene rants and raves.
I haven't used the stuff in ages, but I don't remember it being anything special, good or bad, in my hair. I'd like the Pantene-look hair, but I don't have the hair heaviness for it. My hair is floaty instead of swingy.

longhairedfairy
October 16th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I actually really liked Pantene when I was in Jr. High/High School. Fructis also worked well for me, but I think the cones weigh my hair down because it's kind of fine.

vidgrl007
October 16th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I actually like pantene,but I use so much other stuff that it doesn't have time for the buildup.

spidermom
October 16th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Unfortunately curly/wavy hair doesn't reflect light the way smooth, straight hair does. Alas!
See the difference in shine between my hair straightened:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/SV0708after.jpg
and natural:

Chanterelle
October 16th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Wash the coconut oil out. Try getting your ends totally wet, then smushing coconut oil in and squeezing out the excess. A lot of us get crunchy ends from coconut oil if we apply it to dry hair.

Thanks a lot. :) I actually sprayed my hair with water before applying oil but it looks like it wasn't enough.
I'll give another try :)

Sorry for off-topic. :o

mandeloo
October 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I mostly do CO now, but I will shampoo maybe twice a week. If you do as I do and decide to stop shampooing so often you can afford the salon grade stuff for your hair. I would do that first, and I find that shampoos designated for color treated hair have little or none of that sulfate harsh stuff that dries your hair to hell and back. I would invest in a small bottle of Aveda Sap Moss. Dilute it when you shampoo. Seriously, the one thing that chick on that commerical says is "healthy hair definitely behaves better" and she's right. The less you shampoo your hair and the more natural oils/moisture is returned to it the healthier it will be.

jojo
October 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I hate the shampoo and conditioner it makes my hair also feel like plastic but I love the ice serum, only use it every now and again but my hair is in love with it.

Tangles
October 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I want hair like the girl wearing the headband on their old web site. I can't find it anymore but they were showing how to get volumized, bouncy curls and it looked so perfect.

mandeloo
October 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM
oh i forgot, I actually use the root lift spray. Works well.

Dolly
October 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks a lot. :) I actually sprayed my hair with water before applying oil but it looks like it wasn't enough.
I'll give another try :)

Sorry for off-topic. :o

My hair is just the opposite. I got not-so-good results when I did an oiling on wet hair. I do mine dry and my hair seems to drink it up!

Melisande
October 16th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I used Panten only once, when I slept over at a friends' house and Pantene was all she had >:-(

I absolutely disliked it, it covered my hair with plastic. I knew nothing about cones then but I knew this was baaad. I used other coney shampoos without complaint but Pantene, never again.

My SIL has Pantene hair without ever using Pantene. She has amazingly thick, straight, dark, full hair with a rich shine. Better than Pantene hair actually - no plasticky shine but natural shine. What did she do with it? Yeah, you guessed it, she chopped it off after she had her first baby.

There IS such hair but products can't give it to you, only nature can.

But then, every head of hair has its beauties. Fine, silky hair, wild curls, as long as we let our hair live and enhance its character, it's beautiful.

Oskimosa
October 16th, 2008, 05:27 PM
We used to wash our Pomeranian with Pantene, so now every time I smell it I think of wet dog. :puppy:

:lol:

Regardless, I've never liked pantene on my own hair, I thought it was greasy and overpriced. I get better results, like many others here, with Suave or V05. My husband likes it, but his hair is curly and finer than mine.

flapjack
October 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I think you can get hair like that, but it takes a combo of good genes and really good hair care.

paper
October 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM
We used to wash our Pomeranian with Pantene, so now every time I smell it I think of wet dog. :puppy:

:hmm: Now I know what I can do with my left over Pantene!

Buddaphlyy
October 16th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I love Pantene, but I know using it won't give me Pantene hair. Heck, even Pantene models don't have Pantene hair from using the products. However, in order to be a hair model, one does have to have healthy hair to begin with, so I don't think their off-camera efforts should be dismissed. I think in the long run, one should just strive to have the best hair for themselves and find the regimen and products (Pantene or otherwise) to make it a reality.

spidermom
October 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM
My hair stylist told me that Pantene is excellent for scrubbing the garage floor. hahaha
It probably is a good grease cutter.

zen_oven
October 16th, 2008, 08:23 PM
This is more or less an aside, but it's Pantene-related. . .

I'm getting ready to leave on a trip tomorrow, and I was washing out some travel bottles to fill with Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner, since I do CWC these days and use a ton of conditioner. Well, one of the bottles had Pantene conditioner left in it from over a year ago when I still used that crap. It took about 15 minutes of me repeated filling the bottle, shaking it, pouring it out, filling again, etc to get it all out of there. My hands feel coated and smell like it now and it smells. . . well, like chemicals. EWWW. I can't believe I used to put that stuff on my hair every day!

Kleis
October 16th, 2008, 08:35 PM
You know, there's (at least one) member here who uses Pantene...and has some of the most gorgeous hair on the forum. It does work for some people. :twocents:

And for shiny hair in photographs? Easy. Whether it is straight or wavy, keep it smooth. Then use a flash while is a slightly muted light situation. I have reams of shiny-haired photos with this method, of straight hair, wavy hair and curly hair. That's not to say it looks shiny outside these particular conditions, but I doubt anyone's hair maintains perfection all the time, no matter the method in caring for it.

Barca
October 16th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I used to use Pantene Relaxed and Natural b/c I thought it made my hair smooth and softer than the non-cone shampoo conditioner I was using before (whole foods 365-- that made my hair feel awful). I recently switched to Suave Naturals coconut shampoo/conditioner, and I realize my hair wasn't smooth from the Pantene-- it was waxy! Now you will have to pry that Suave from my cold dead fingers! ;)

WaimeaWahine
October 16th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Interesting timing! You know how Frieda came out with shampoos for each hair color? Now Pantene is doing and I just tried a sample the other day. Golly it was sooo nasty and didn't even lather. I smelled like a wet dog. Yuck! :taz:

Cameras work wonders and so does Final Cut Pro which they edit many videos, ads, and films with. I've never seen a woman with perfectly stick straight hair all in place with super perfect shine and no splits or frizz or fly aways where it just flows so perfectly from side to side.

Paper smooth complexion
Teeth as white as tile
Malibu perfection
Pepsidented smile
Over sexed and over sized
Popular and pasteurized

And all the pretty people
In their latex gloves
Living fortified and sugar free
Riding off together
In billboard love
That's the only kind of love for me

SophieGrowGrow
October 16th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Sophie,

I found that pantene was great on my natural, undyed hair when I was about 12-17, but after I dyed it, the effect wasn't as good.

Have you ever tried Redken Heavy Cream? If you're anti-cones then it's not for you, but if you don't mind...IT IS AMAZING. It comes in a huge gold tub, and although it's expensive it lasts for ever and is absolutely worth it. It is the closest I can get to Pantene-advert hair!

I have fine, straight hair, and it works absolute wonders on it - it's like silk. One of the most awesome things about this product is that I swear it lasts for about another 2-3 washes. You know how when you do a treatment, after the next wash it's gone? This one's soft and silky effect seems to stay for almost a week. Yes - this could be because it is putting some evil coating on my hair - but I've been using it for ages and never noticed any build up. Its just GREAT.

My boyfriend has super thick, coarse hair with big curls. It's about chest-length, and feels like frizzy iron wool. He lets me brush and play with his hair, and one night he let me put the heavy cream in it (we sat with gladwrap heads and watched mean girls - I love him) the results were amazing - his hair was 50000000 times silkier, softer and the curls looked a lot more flowing and relaxed. Not to mention amazing shine and no frizz. My sister and another friend of mine Alex all swear by it.

If you decide to use it, the instructions say to leave it on for 10 minutes...leave it for for AT LEAST an hour. This gives the best results.

I was actually looking at that yesterday on ebay, I was a bit .. hmm worried that I would be disapointed but now after my hair oils thats the next thing im going to buy!

As for this straight shine vs. curly wavey shine. I notice a very large diffrence when I straighten my hair. It gets super shiney plus the fact im using GHD's and some serious heat protectant.

Off topic question about curly hair though, when I was younger I had VERY straight hair, straighter than all my asian friends who would occasionally get waves or kinks. However when I hit pubery my hair suddenly decided it did not like being naturally straight and shiney and decided it wanted to become wavey, and over the years ( im 16 now and my hair started to get wavey at the age of 10 ) my hair has become more and more curly, at one point I had a head full of ringlets which died down about a year ago ( not sure why! my hair was not damaged ). The only thing I could put it down to is hormones? does anyone else have another explination?