PDA

View Full Version : Thick hair (iii and over) - the inbetween stages!

lapushka
April 16th, 2016, 06:53 AM
This is a thread to get and post ideas on how to do updos in the in-between stages for those of us who are thick haired and can't do regular buns yet.

What's your solution?

I wore a peacock twist (folded under at longer lengths, more "log roll" style) with a claw clip, until I hit waist/hip and could just about manage a LWB for the first time.

What's your go-to? Or what do you struggle with. Let us know.

Anya15
April 16th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Oooh Lapushka this is the perfect thread for me. :D

I realised today that I need a bigger claw clip, my peacock twists have stopped holding well. Too much hair.

Hair is in a french braid for now, at least it keeps the hair away from my neck...

endersworld
April 16th, 2016, 07:50 AM
I know when my hair was short enough where it wouldn't stay in a bun at all (probably about APL or BSL), I used to braid it with a long, fairly thick paranda and use the end of that as extra length.
Now that's it's long enough to do stuff, my current go-to is a Nautilus bun held with a walnut stick.

LongCurlyTress
April 16th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Yay! Another iii thread!! &:D!!!!

I also did a french peacock twist with a claw clip until the top part folded back down too much and then the claw clip was not big enough to hold the twist and the folded down part. Plus, it pulled on the back of my scalp hair and also had a dinosaur scales look since it stuck out so far!! I started doing a cinnamon bun using two one inch claw clips, one on either side of the bun, and to this day, at TBL, this holds a damp bun comfortably and securely at nape length all day. My other bun favorites are the lwb or a nautilus with or without a hairstick, but almost always at nape length. Just one more idea, is a 2 inch claw clip on one side of my cinnabun/lwb and a couple of Amish pins holding down the left side of the bun, since imo that looks prettier than two claw clips. (Avatar pic) Hope this helps! :cool:

ETA I am also becoming very fond of an English nape braid with only one hairtie at the tassel end. I often pull this over my shoulder so the braid length shows in front. If I am tired, my scalp does not seem to deal with the weight of my hair in a bun and I notice more hairs pulling uncomfortably so that is when a long simple braid comes into play. Scarves do look pretty, especially paranda style, but they also create extra weight and this adds to the scalp hairs pulling. :rolleyes:

lapushka
April 16th, 2016, 09:02 AM
A good tip is to split the hair into two sections and do separate buns or bun one half, then bun the other half and add that part to the previous bun. I never did that much, I pretty much relied on my peacock twist, but it's doable as well.

littlestarface
April 16th, 2016, 10:40 AM
For me its whats holding it and nothing holds up my hair, not a scrunchy, claw, bobbles, nothing and my hair just falls slowly out of the bun. Spin pins is the only thing that works for me, and the bun has to be very high up my head to stay still. My go to style is just 2 braids thats the only thing that contains my hair but its terrible when you clean and have to bend over.

Anya15
April 16th, 2016, 11:11 AM
One thing that I've been wanting to try: bunning just the top half of my hair, and then putting the bottom half into two braids and wrapping them around the bun. In theory this should make the bunning easier and at the same time, take care of my pesky layers.

When I do try this, I will share pictures!

meteor
April 16th, 2016, 11:30 AM
^ I used to do this a lot, anou! :) It's a great, complex-looking, but really easy to do style. And this style distributes iii weight like a champ around the scalp! Perfect solution for those with sensitive scalps. :crush: :thumbsup:

Also, when my hair was shorter than waist, I simply wore braids all the time. iii hair can be extremely annoying to wear down (due to heat, blinkers effect and hair getting into everything), but half-ups (for removing blinkers) and braids (for corralling thickness a bit) really do help.
I really think braids provide some great solutions for iii hair that's not bunnable yet. :)
And when the braid gets long enough, one can start folding it upward - Folded Braid and, when it gets even longer, kind of doing a cinnabun/cinnablob/cinna-knot from that braid... And much later, a braided LWB becomes possible and then some other styles...

Here is a great video (by torrinpaige) on how to get thicker hair all the way up: by sectioning: half-up bun + wrap remaining hair (twisted or braided) around that base: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

This Youtuber (Divya Naidu) has done some great, well-distributed styles which work well for iii+ hair: https://www.youtube.com/user/divyan2586

Double buns (side by side or stacked, one on top of another) and multiple buns work very well, as well, because the more sections you break your hair into, the easier it is to put it all the way up, even before the length allows standard buns. Sectioning is really a great solution for thick hair before it gets bunnable. ;)

Anya15
April 16th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Littlestarface I am in love with your sig bun picture :love:

Meteor, I must try this soon then! I love folded braids but the only problem with that is my layers. They stick out from everywhere. :(

Will check out the videos and experiment with sectioning a bit. I would totally wear half up buns, I just LOVE the look but there is a heat wave here.

meteor
April 16th, 2016, 11:57 AM
I would totally wear half up buns, I just LOVE the look but there is a heat wave here.

You can just wrap the bottom loose hair around the half-up bun to put it all up. ;) If you braid or twist that hair before wrapping, it will stay put much better. I use claw-clips along the perimeter to pin/hold up the braids around the base half-up bun.

LongCurlyTress
April 16th, 2016, 12:24 PM
meteor... what are "blinkers/blinkers effect"? Thanks! ;)

Lisa Long4Life
April 16th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Up until today I thought I was ii but I've measured and I'm coming out with an inch diameter, so that makes me a iii.
I didn't think it was particularly thick, especially towards the ends. Am I measuring wrong?

meteor
April 16th, 2016, 12:44 PM
meteor... what are "blinkers/blinkers effect"? Thanks! ;)

He-he , it's just what I call it informally , sorry :oops: : when hair isn't hanging behind shoulders neatly, but instead gets into the face and covers sides - kind of what's used on horses for races (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinkers_(horse_tack)).

Anya15
April 16th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Up until today I thought I was ii but I've measured and I'm coming out with an inch diameter, so that makes me a iii.
I didn't think it was particularly thick, especially towards the ends. Am I measuring wrong?

I think that's a typo in your post? What is your pony circumference?
If it is 4" or more, you're a iii. :)

Lisa Long4Life
April 16th, 2016, 01:17 PM
I think that's a typo in your post? What is your pony circumference?
If it is 4" or more, you're a iii. :)

Diameter is 1" so that makes circumference 6" using the equation C=2πr - I measured at the top, where my band would be.

lapushka
April 16th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Diameter is 1" so that makes circumference 6" using the equation C=2πr - I measured at the top, where my band would be.

Wouldn't it be easier to just pony and measure your circumference. Getting a diameter on a ponytail can be inaccurate.

Lisa Long4Life
April 16th, 2016, 01:29 PM
doh. my bad :doh:

littlestarface
April 16th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Littlestarface I am in love with your sig bun picture :love:

Meteor, I must try this soon then! I love folded braids but the only problem with that is my layers. They stick out from everywhere. :(

Will check out the videos and experiment with sectioning a bit. I would totally wear half up buns, I just LOVE the look but there is a heat wave here.

Thanks sweety, I have to confess even that bun didnt stay that day lol

Lisa Long4Life
April 16th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I've done it wrong, I used the wrong equation/ put the diameter in instead of the radius. I was right that I am ii then. I shall exit the thread :)

LongCurlyTress
April 16th, 2016, 05:20 PM
You can just wrap the bottom loose hair around the half-up bun to put it all up. ;) If you braid or twist that hair before wrapping, it will stay put much better. I use claw-clips along the perimeter to pin/hold up the braids around the base half-up bun.

Excellent idea! Plus then the crown area might have some more lift/ ie a small poof, since the half up bun doesn't seem to pull the crown area so slicked back like a nape bun does... Great idea!! Then just split the back into two and wrap each around the half up bun. Great idea and sounds so pretty too!! :blossom::applause:blossom::applause

He-he , it's just what I call it informally , sorry :oops: : when hair isn't hanging behind shoulders neatly, but instead gets into the face and covers sides - kind of what's used on horses for races (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinkers_(horse_tack)).

Oh!! LOL.. We call those "horse blinders" here! Too funny!! Thank you for the explanation!

meteor
April 16th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Excellent idea! Plus then the crown area might have some more lift/ ie a small poof, since the half up bun doesn't seem to pull the crown area so slicked back like a nape bun does... Great idea!! Then just split the back into two and wrap each around the half up bun. Great idea and sounds so pretty too!! :blossom::applause:blossom::applause

Oh!! LOL.. We call those "horse blinders" here! Too funny!! Thank you for the explanation!

Thanks a lot, LongCurlyTress! :flowers: Oh yes, "blinders" seems like a much more logical term for those things! :agree: Thank you! :D

Yes, that sectioned-from-half-up bun (I've seen it referred to as a "frame bun", as well) is pretty and it looks complex while it's actually super-easy and it distributes weight very well compared to an unsectioned bun. And it's easy to make it more interesting, for example, by braiding only one bottom half, and twisting the other, or by using different kinds of braids on different sections (e.g. rope braid or fishtail/herringbone or a 5-strander...) or using one of the braids as a coronet/headband braid(s) - the combinations are almost limitless. ;)

There are many different variations on this theme and they all look different, e.g.:
- Swept-up braided bun: http://babesinhairland.com/hairstyles/swept-up-braided-bun/ (top section in half-up bun, bottom section split in 2 and each braided and wrapped around the bun)
- Braided beehive (by Haartraum): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQ15IxkWMA (bunning bottom braid, wrapping top 2 braids around, one after the other)
- The Countess (by torrinpaige): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidfxVXUyNw (sock bun, then 2 braids from overflow, wrapped around like a frame-bun plus a coronet)
- Regency updo (by kmemuse): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXu9enBrK0 (soft bun in the back, 2 braids - one wrapped around the bun, another used as a coronet/headband)
- etc, etc...

Another thing I thought about for iii hair specifically with layers... twisting/braiding only top (mohawk, canopy) area before adding it to the bun/style helps distribute the weight a bit too, IMHO. Kind of like the Ellingwoman braided bun (https://ellingwoman.wikispaces.com/file/view/15r1gg6.png/327820854/15r1gg6.png), even without making a "pocket" with the small braid...
This smaller-braid-into-bigger-braid trick can help those with shorter, exploding layers, because this style collects layers before joining them into the main braid/bun.

Robi-Bird
April 16th, 2016, 06:35 PM
I went from the peacock twist to the French twist. To be honest, I didn't notice the in between stages because I wasn't consciously growing out my hair.

LongCurlyTress
April 16th, 2016, 10:55 PM

Thanks a lot, LongCurlyTress! :flowers: Oh yes, "blinders" seems like a much more logical term for those things! :agree: Thank you! :D

Yes, that sectioned-from-half-up bun (I've seen it referred to as a "frame bun", as well) is pretty and it looks complex while it's actually super-easy and it distributes weight very well compared to an unsectioned bun. And it's easy to make it more interesting, for example, by braiding only one bottom half, and twisting the other, or by using different kinds of braids on different sections (e.g. rope braid or fishtail/herringbone or a 5-strander...) or using one of the braids as a coronet/headband braid(s) - the combinations are almost limitless. ;)

There are many different variations on this theme and they all look different, e.g.:
- Swept-up braided bun: http://babesinhairland.com/hairstyles/swept-up-braided-bun/ (top section in half-up bun, bottom section split in 2 and each braided and wrapped around the bun)
- Braided beehive (by Haartraum): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQ15IxkWMA (bunning bottom braid, wrapping top 2 braids around, one after the other)
- The Countess (by torrinpaige): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidfxVXUyNw (sock bun, then 2 braids from overflow, wrapped around like a frame-bun plus a coronet)
- Regency updo (by kmemuse): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXu9enBrK0 (soft bun in the back, 2 braids - one wrapped around the bun, another used as a coronet/headband)
- etc, etc...

Another thing I thought about for iii hair specifically with layers... twisting/braiding only top (mohawk, canopy) area before adding it to the bun/style helps distribute the weight a bit too, IMHO. Kind of like the Ellingwoman braided bun (https://ellingwoman.wikispaces.com/file/view/15r1gg6.png/327820854/15r1gg6.png), even without making a "pocket" with the small braid...
This smaller-braid-into-bigger-braid trick can help those with shorter, exploding layers, because this style collects layers before joining them into the main braid/bun.

All fantastic ideas, as usual meteor! I can't wait to watch each video!! Thank you sooooo much!! :blossom::blossom: ETA Book marking reference here.... hence the entire requote...;) Thanks again!! ;)

Anya15
April 16th, 2016, 11:44 PM
Thanks, Meteor! I must bookmark these videos to watch later! :)

FantasyBoudicca
April 17th, 2016, 03:02 AM
Braids, until my hair got long enough for me to coil up into a bun. Then I started using old-school straight pins to hold them up, or if I needed extra hold I'd braid it first then coil it. My grandmother was/is my mentor in such matters.

meteor
April 17th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Thank you so much, LongCurlyTress and anou! :smooch:

I think "divide and conquer" is the way to go with thickness. ;)

Braids, until my hair got long enough for me to coil up into a bun. Then I started using old-school straight pins to hold them up, or if I needed extra hold I'd braid it first then coil it. My grandmother was/is my mentor in such matters.

Oh, that is so cool! :thud: It's really awesome that your grandma is your hairstyling mentor!! :applause

And welcome to the LHC, FantasyBoudicca! :cheer:

Anya15
April 17th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Any of you thickhaired folks try the french fishtail? I tried it a while ago and couldn't get it to work! (It just looked like a french braid because the sections I was adding were too thick.) I added only hair that was close to my hairline, and still ended up with thick sections and when I got to the nape there was this huge amount of hair that hadn't been added to the braid and was just hanging there...so yeah. It didn't look nice and beautiful like a french fishtail should look.

Basically the problem is - even with what I thought were thin sections I ended up with thick sections, and I was only adding the hair that was close to my hairline! So I had a load of hair that hadn't been added by the time I reached the nape area.

Arctic
April 18th, 2016, 12:17 AM
Any of you thickhaired folks try the french fishtail? I tried it a while ago and couldn't get it to work! (It just looked like a french braid because the sections I was adding were too thick.) I added only hair that was close to my hairline, and still ended up with thick sections and when I got to the nape there was this huge amount of hair that hadn't been added to the braid and was just hanging there...so yeah. It didn't look nice and beautiful like a french fishtail should look.

Basically the problem is - even with what I thought were thin sections I ended up with thick sections, and I was only adding the hair that was close to my hairline! So I had a load of hair that hadn't been added by the time I reached the nape area.

Not a thick haired person myself, but I have some ideas for you. Firstly, you will need to keep practicing, and you will eventually learn a good way of distribute your hair so that it will work.

Secondly I wouldn't start from the front hairline with tiny sections. I would first make a relatively hefty halfup, to get lot of hair out of the way. Say, making an approx. horseshoe sectioning from behind ear over the head to behind the other ear, or larger section - try to get as much bulk into this half-up as possible while still being able to start your french fishtail from relatively high. Divide this halfup into 2 and then start your fishtail from the crown/back-top of the head. When you do it this way you will have less hair to incorporate into your braid, because there is already lot of hair "inside" the braid.

Thirdly, when you add sections, add them as horizontally (squished, almost sideways x-shape [more like = shape but still crossing eachother] as opposed to more diagonally like normal x) as possible and make the braid very snug. Be aware of how much hair you have left.

Other than these, the practicing will take care of your problem, and you will learn what works for your hair very soon.

Anya15
April 18th, 2016, 12:46 AM
Thank you so much for the tips Arctic! I will give it another shot very soon :)

I watched Torrin's videos on doing the sectioned buns and succeded in doing a cinnabun, it is a tad messy but holds like a rock. Plus hair is all up which is perfect for the heat wave.
Will post a pic soon!

LongCurlyTress
April 18th, 2016, 09:39 AM

Your hair is still a great length to do these fancy braids. Mine is sadly? (lol) too long... and the ends velcro up and tear apart... even after serious detangling!! Two and three strand braids are my go-to's at this length, being a curly girl 3b....:p

Atarah
April 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Oh, joining in! I need more ideas.
My circumference measured just over 4" a couple months ago, and I'd swear it has been feeling even thicker the last week. I spent some time Friday afternoon watching hair videos and found torrinpaige's thick hair bun tips. So.... first time ever, I was able to do a nautilus by doing a half up! Yay! It was so comfortable I even did it again today; this time dividing the rest into two rope braids and twisting them around it.

Until it gets longer I've just been doing braids (3 or 5 strand), the Celtic knot bun, and the Ellingwoman braided bun.

Now to go look up what some of these styles you've mentioned are...

Anya15
April 18th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Well here's the bun, it held all day and I even took a nap with it. It's a tad messy and you can see my bobby pins everywhere but it kept my hair away from my face and neck so it works!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22559&d=1460998742

lapushka
April 18th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Well here's the bun, it held all day and I even took a nap with it. It's a tad messy and you can see my bobby pins everywhere but it kept my hair away from my face and neck so it works!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22559&d=1460998742

It looks really elegant! :D Very nice, anou!

meteor
April 19th, 2016, 03:13 PM
That's so beautiful, anou! :applause I love how shiny, soft, and romantic that updo looks! :crush:

Atarah, those are excellent styles for thick hair! :D And it's so cool that you can already get the Celtic Knot Bun to hold! Yay! :cheer:

Anya15
April 19th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Thank you! I am very happy that I was able to put all my hair up. :)

Anya15
May 29th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Hey all you thick haired folks! I bought a beak clip today and managed this.

My hair is twisted into some kind of nautilus (I used only two fingers instead of four to make the first twist, i don't have that kind of length of course!) and i just pushed this beak clip in. It's holding like a rock. :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23211&d=1464546146

Okay, my layers are sticking out and it looks like my bun has horns and I have wispies everywhere, BUT MY HAIR IS UP! :applause:

lapushka
May 29th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Ha! Congrats anou! :)

MINAKO
May 29th, 2016, 02:38 PM
I was wearing my buns with hairties when i was in that stage, at least i payed attention to use the gentle kind cut from stockings. Just a single loop tied and the ends split in two sections and wrapped around the base, then secured with two pins. I think i was past waist already when i figured how to make a fork or two sticks work.

pili
May 29th, 2016, 06:42 PM
At my length, the only things I can manage are a peacock twist held by two claw clips, double French/Dutch braids with the ends tucked under each other, or a curly/poofy high ponytail. My hair is too layered to do even a single French/Dutch braid, all the little pieces come out. When it gets to BSL, I'll be able to do a bun like you talked about above, top half in a cinnamon bun, and the bottom sectioned and twisted around the base. I've never been long enough to do anything else, or had the knowledge to try anything else. I have a 5.25" circumfrance, can I ask those who are already longer where/when you felt you were past the "awkward" growing out stage for a iii?

MINAKO
May 29th, 2016, 07:38 PM
My circumference is about 4.8 but since alot of it is on the finer side and very dense it can pouf up quite a bit in the lengths. Tailbone was a length when it started to get fun for me to try different buns and actually could get most of them to work. I do not have layers but a bit of taper from a grown out super blunt cut.

Anya15
May 29th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I can't do any kind of hair stick/fork bun unless it's sectioned! Or even a cinnabun for that matter.

I have a 5" circ but a lot of layers. If I had a blunt cut things might've been harder for me I think :lol:

I totally get the braid problem, pili! You'll have better luck when you reach BSL. I find French braids better than English braids because with a French braid, my shorter layers get snugly tucked into the braid whereas with English, they fall out and get into my face. I leave a very long tassel though.

Dutch braids just look ridiculous on me because all the pieces stick out.

LongCurlyTress
May 29th, 2016, 08:34 PM
At my length, the only things I can manage are a peacock twist held by two claw clips, double French/Dutch braids with the ends tucked under each other, or a curly/poofy high ponytail. My hair is too layered to do even a single French/Dutch braid, all the little pieces come out. When it gets to BSL, I'll be able to do a bun like you talked about above, top half in a cinnamon bun, and the bottom sectioned and twisted around the base. I've never been long enough to do anything else, or had the knowledge to try anything else. I have a 5.25" circumfrance, can I ask those who are already longer where/when you felt you were past the "awkward" growing out stage for a iii?
Hi pilli... I know exactly where you are at with being frustrated. I did a big chop in March, 2011 to a chin length curly 3b bob and it was he** to grow it out. My hair had been waist length and I cut it up to shoulder and then chopped off the dyed brassy length once the line of demarcation grew out to chin length. It was traumatic and horrible with super thick hair and all I can say is I will never ever have short hair, again. As soon as my hair grew to where I could put it into a french peacock twist with a 3 inch claw clip holding both sides back to the middle vertically. I continued to grow out my bangs and straightened them and kept them cut to chin length forever. I straightened my hair with a straightner, and actually my hubby liked it and said I looked like a newscaster or a realtor but it was really a pain to blow it dry enough to be able to straighten it without frying it. I did alot of half ups too.... I bought a salsaloosa from wigs.com and that helped me to feel like I had long hair... I also got a few hair wiglets that I used around my smalll pontail stump....http://www.wigs.com/salsaloosa-by-dancing-with-the-stars.html

Well, I use no heat, eat alot of protein (I swear by a tablespoon of peanut butter every morning on a half of a blueberry bagel) I do wash my hair everyday with diluted shampoo but I really massage my scalp completely everyday to stimulate the hair follicles with the hot water.... all I know is that... knock wood, my hair grows usually a half inch a month consistently so I don't complain. Try to keep your hair up in a peacock twist maybe straighten your bangs, earrings, makeup and in 6 months your hair will b 3 inches longer. I just reached TBL so I have been exactly where you are. Hugs!! :blossom: Oh and hide those scissors. Don't microtrim your hair... at all ... just use bobby pins to hold back the shorter sides with hairspray and before you know it your hair will be longer. Don't cut it at all!! :) Just use evoo or coconut oil on the ends at night. I did this everynight and I hardly ever get split ends.... Good luck!!!

pili
May 29th, 2016, 09:53 PM
My circumference is about 4.8 but since alot of it is on the finer side and very dense it can pouf up quite a bit in the lengths. Tailbone was a length when it started to get fun for me to try different buns and actually could get most of them to work. I do not have layers but a bit of taper from a grown out super blunt cut.
Tailbone is my goal!

Yeah, I can't do any kind of hair stick/fork bun unless it's sectioned! Or even a cinnabun for that matter.

I have a 5" circ but a lot of layers. If I had a blunt cut things might've been harder for me I think :lol:

I totally get the braid problem, pili! You'll have better luck when you reach BSL. I find French braids better than English braids because with a French braid, my shorter layers get snugly tucked into the braid whereas with English, they fall out and get into my face. I leave a very long tassel though.

Dutch braids just look ridiculous on me because all the pieces stick out.
Yeah, blunt ends and I have never been friends. I remember how hard it was to try to get the ends tucked in before getting long layers. However, the layers I have now are just...a LOT.

Hi pilli... I know exactly where you are at with being frustrated. I did a big chop in March, 2011 to a chin length curly 3b bob and it was he** to grow it out. My hair had been waist length and I cut it up to shoulder and then chopped off the dyed brassy length once the line of demarcation grew out to chin length. It was traumatic and horrible with super thick hair and all I can say is I will never ever have short hair, again. As soon as my hair grew to where I could put it into a french peacock twist with a 3 inch claw clip holding both sides back to the middle vertically. I continued to grow out my bangs and straightened them and kept them cut to chin length forever. I straightened my hair with a straightner, and actually my hubby liked it and said I looked like a newscaster or a realtor but it was really a pain to blow it dry enough to be able to straighten it without frying it. I did alot of half ups too.... I bought a salsaloosa from wigs.com and that helped me to feel like I had long hair... I also got a few hair wiglets that I used around my smalll pontail stump....http://www.wigs.com/salsaloosa-by-dancing-with-the-stars.html

Well, I use no heat, eat alot of protein (I swear by a tablespoon of peanut butter every morning on a half of a blueberry bagel) I do wash my hair everyday with diluted shampoo but I really massage my scalp completely everyday to stimulate the hair follicles with the hot water.... all I know is that... knock wood, my hair grows usually a half inch a month consistently so I don't complain. Try to keep your hair up in a peacock twist maybe straighten your bangs, earrings, makeup and in 6 months your hair will b 3 inches longer. I just reached TBL so I have been exactly where you are. Hugs!! :blossom: Oh and hide those scissors. Don't microtrim your hair... at all ... just use bobby pins to hold back the shorter sides with hairspray and before you know it your hair will be longer. Don't cut it at all!! :) Just use evoo or coconut oil on the ends at night. I did this everynight and I hardly ever get split ends.... Good luck!!!

See, I started at a pixie in Jan 2012, and through many bad decisions and an inability to just forget about it I am no where near where I wanted to be!

Thanks everyone. I feel like I have such a long way to go. It's good to know that my goal length will be enjoyable.

littlestarface
May 29th, 2016, 10:01 PM

No way lol my hair is 4.7 ^_^

LongCurlyTress
May 29th, 2016, 10:13 PM
@pili--

Instead of trying to force your shorter layers into a bun, do you ever dry your hair with a vented brush and layer it like Farah Fawcett? With your layers, I bet this would look cute!! First dry your hair upside down for height at the roots, and then use a vented brush to blow out your hair layers. ;) Then use a straightening iron on it to control the layered look. ;) This is what I did when my hair was first growing out. I cut layers into the front section using a Creaclip from top of one ear accross the top and over to other top of ear. Layers were chin length when my hair was pulled in front of my face if this makes any sense. Anyways, I dried my hair and straightened it like Diane Keaton. Loved this style! https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNjU5NjMwOTk2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODg1NzY0._V1_U Y317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000473/&h=317&w=214&tbnid=5LD7EaO5C-K2-M:&tbnh=186&tbnw=125&docid=i5T_7pidxbMoVM&itg=1&usg=__EojuOTAJ7Yd_WvabwuUkiRxll8U=

I am certainly not an advocate of using heat or straightening hair, this was just survival mode for me until my hair grew some length and it grew out of the awkward length stage. ;)

AZDesertRose
May 29th, 2016, 10:34 PM
anou, your hair is gorgeous! It reminds me of one of my first in-person hair crushes (as opposed to celebrity hair crushes, LOL). When I was in my late teens or early twenties, I had a primary care doctor who was a resident, so she probably wasn't actually that much older than I was. She had the most beautiful, thick, glossy, blue-black hair, and she had grown it at least waist length, maybe hip. If she wore it in a single braid, her braid was easily as thick as my forearm (NOT my wrist, further up!); like, if I'd wrapped my fingers around her braid, I wouldn't have been able to encircle it without squeezing it a little bit (and I have long fingers). (She was also a great doctor; I was disappointed when she graduated from her residency and left the resident's clinic where I was a patient and therefore I got transferred to another resident's care.)

Anyway, your hair looks very like my former doctor's hair that I thought was so gorgeous! :D

Anya15
May 30th, 2016, 06:47 AM
anou, your hair is gorgeous! It reminds me of one of my first in-person hair crushes (as opposed to celebrity hair crushes, LOL). When I was in my late teens or early twenties, I had a primary care doctor who was a resident, so she probably wasn't actually that much older than I was. She had the most beautiful, thick, glossy, blue-black hair, and she had grown it at least waist length, maybe hip. If she wore it in a single braid, her braid was easily as thick as my forearm (NOT my wrist, further up!); like, if I'd wrapped my fingers around her braid, I wouldn't have been able to encircle it without squeezing it a little bit (and I have long fingers). (She was also a great doctor; I was disappointed when she graduated from her residency and left the resident's clinic where I was a patient and therefore I got transferred to another resident's care.)

Anyway, your hair looks very like my former doctor's hair that I thought was so gorgeous! :D

Thank you! Of course, I don't think my hair is as thick as your former doctor's - she seems to have legendary thickness :agape:

MINAKO
May 30th, 2016, 07:17 AM
No way lol my hair is 4.7 ^_^

Hah, another thing we have in common!! :beerchug:

LongCurlyTress
May 30th, 2016, 09:36 AM
OMG!! 4.7 and 4.8 thickness? WOW!! :toast:How/when do you ever detangle your hair with that kind of thickness? Mine is at 4inches and it's a struggle!! Please share any detangling secrets? What are your goal lengths littlestarface and Minako?

Do you detangle in the shower with conditioner? Out of the shower on a towel with a comb and detangler? Thanks for your help!:rolleyes:

Anya15
May 30th, 2016, 10:21 AM
LongCurlyTress, I'm a 5" and I stopped getting tangles after joining LHC. I get a few, but nothing that my fingers and a WT comb can't solve without any fuss. Some days I don't even need the comb! I used to get massive tangles earlier, so I think the key is moisture/oil/conditioner. I finger detangle both pre-wash(when I have oil in my hair) and post wash (after rinsing out my conditioner). If you detangle pre wash it stops all the shed hairs from getting tangled up in your hair. Another thing is that I wear my hair up or in a braid 90% of the time. Oh, and S&D. Velcro-y ends=more tangles. Also your texture is very different from mine, so you might need to use more moisture items.

Before I do my daily detangling I again use a bit of oil.

Hope this helped! :)

littlestarface
May 30th, 2016, 11:03 AM
OMG!! 4.7 and 4.8 thickness? WOW!! :toast:How/when do you ever detangle your hair with that kind of thickness? Mine is at 4inches and it's a struggle!! Please share any detangling secrets? What are your goal lengths littlestarface and Minako?

Do you detangle in the shower with conditioner? Out of the shower on a towel with a comb and detangler? Thanks for your help!:rolleyes:

To me it feels thin ha! I only detangle 2nd day hair when dry and I do it in little sections at a time or the comb wont go through. I cant detangle when wet or i'll get angry hair, cuz i'm a wavy whos' hair doesnt like clumping or any cg ways. I had a goal then it stopped, i'm staying at fingertip length, any longer and I have too much thin at the end.

I got to knees my first goal alot of times hell I just cut back to fingertip a couple of days ago but for some reason the bulk of my hair ends at tbl. So that's the end for me.

MINAKO
May 30th, 2016, 11:42 AM
I never thought of 4.8 as insane thickness as i have seen people with much more hair on here than myself, probably close to 5.5 or even 6 inches. my body frame is very slim so i think i would look really funny if it was thicker. I'm definitely satisfied with what i have.
I don't think detangling is necessarily more difficult for thicker hair and depends more on texture and condition. I don't really get tangles, much like Anou described. In case i run into snarling ends i know its time for a trim sooner or later and thats pretty much it.
I reached my goal length of upper thigh and will maintain there cause i want to wear my hair out sometimes. I don't really like it any longer for that and the feeling of it possibly touching the floor when i sit down or whatever makes me uncomfortable anyways.

pili
May 30th, 2016, 02:02 PM

Way back when my hair was hip length I didn't have many problems with tangling. I was strictly CG back then and only ever de tangled in the showers with conditioner and finger combing. And I'm pretty sure my thickness was closer to 6" before kids. Even now I don't have a problem when I detangle pre-wash with oil and a wood comb.

I think it may have something to do with how course my hair is. It does not seem to get affected by little pieces of lint from clothes or pillows. My daughter's hair is 4" thickness, but she is a 1c/2a/F/iii. Her hair tangles horribly because of all these pieces of lint she picks up. To the point where she would get mats.

LongCurlyTress
May 30th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Way back when my hair was hip length I didn't have many problems with tangling. I was strictly CG back then and only ever de tangled in the showers with conditioner and finger combing. And I'm pretty sure my thickness was closer to 6" before kids. Even now I don't have a problem when I detangle pre-wash with oil and a wood comb.

I think it may have something to do with how course my hair is. It does not seem to get affected by little pieces of lint from clothes or pillows. My daughter's hair is 4" thickness, but she is a 1c/2a/F/iii. Her hair tangles horribly because of all these pieces of lint she picks up. To the point where she would get mats.

I think you might be onto something. My hair 4+ and is very curly- 3b/3c, iii and very fine so I bet that contributes to the tangles and yes, my hair mats up also like your daughter's....but I don't think mine is due to lint. I think it is just from being fine and curly and rubbing- the friction on my pillow case when I am sleeping or on my clothes. Imagine an old fashioned telephone cord that gets all tangled up...LOL! But, I am happy to say that today went well as I detangled with a comb with gobs of conditioner! Yay! I only lost a few hairs too. :joy: ETAIn my siggy pic-- I let my hair dry detangled and in a damp bun which makes it dry wavy instead of curly Q...;) This really helps with avoiding tangles. ;)

MINAKO
May 30th, 2016, 03:10 PM

Same for me, depending on the clothes i wear or sheets i have on my bed i really need to be careful with lint too . It's not a hige problem but this type of snarl is so hard to undo if it happens. Also a reason why i clean combs and brushes every single day.

hayheadsbird
June 13th, 2016, 10:58 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/hayheadsbird/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsg6d2kfyz.jpeg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/hayheadsbird/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsg6d2kfyz.jpeg.html)

So there whispys everywhere, ends not quite all tucked away, but it's all up! And secure! This was on the ferry journey home - it's lasted through a whole day tramping through burns, rescuing sheep and running around after small children.

Big thanks to all the ideas here, and arctic for the crownbraids ideas on another thread :D I'm so chuffed right now despite the not yet perfect look!

lapushka
June 13th, 2016, 12:01 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/hayheadsbird/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsg6d2kfyz.jpeg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/hayheadsbird/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsg6d2kfyz.jpeg.html)

So there whispys everywhere, ends not quite all tucked away, but it's all up! And secure! This was on the ferry journey home - it's lasted through a whole day tramping through burns, rescuing sheep and running around after small children.

Big thanks to all the ideas here, and arctic for the crownbraids ideas on another thread :D I'm so chuffed right now despite the not yet perfect look!

That's an amazing updo! :)

pili
June 19th, 2016, 08:46 AM

Really pretty!

Anya15
June 19th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Very pretty, Hayheadsbird!

I am getting sick of claw clips. Honestly. My hair is past waist now when stretched but the layers are creating trouble...

hayheadsbird
June 19th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Spin pins? That's my answer to everything though!

Shepherdess
June 19th, 2016, 12:38 PM
That style bun is beautiful, hayheadsbird!!

hayheadsbird
June 19th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Aw thank you guys :D

Anya15
June 20th, 2016, 03:29 AM
Heat wave is gone which means I can wear half-ups again!!! :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23601&d=1466414596

Nautilus half up. My hair is too thick and layered to do a full nautilus. This is 4th day hair, the wurly waves have sagged quite a bit and I have some 'S' braidwaves.

Also, my hair looks long all of a sudden. I suppose it's because you cant see my shorter layers since they're in the half-up. :D

I think I'll be able to call waist unstretched soon (It's hard to tell in the photo because that shirt is very loose!) :)

lithostoic
June 25th, 2016, 07:33 AM
sighs dreamily

lapushka
June 25th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Very pretty, anou!

Hairkay
June 25th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Heat wave is gone which means I can wear half-ups again!!! :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23601&d=1466414596

Nautilus half up. My hair is too thick and layered to do a full nautilus. This is 4th day hair, the wurly waves have sagged quite a bit and I have some 'S' braidwaves.

Also, my hair looks long all of a sudden. I suppose it's because you cant see my shorter layers since they're in the half-up. :D

I think I'll be able to call waist unstretched soon (It's hard to tell in the photo because that shirt is very loose!) :)

Lovely hair Anou.

hayheadsbird
June 25th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Beautiful anou!

H o n є y ❤
June 25th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Gorgeous!!!

Andthetalltrees
June 25th, 2016, 02:02 PM
My hair has a nearly 6" circumference. Peacock or French twists have never worked or felt comfortable to me. Above collarbone length I mostly just braid or pin the very front section of my hair back so it wont get in my face. Around collarbone I can start doing double French/Dutch braids and at waist+ I started experimenting with disc buns(two of them to), And they worked great. But unfortunately I cut my hair again before I really had a chance to do much with buns

lapushka
June 25th, 2016, 04:10 PM
My hair has a nearly 6" circumference. Peacock or French twists have never worked or felt comfortable to me. Above collarbone length I mostly just braid or pin the very front section of my hair back so it wont get in my face. Around collarbone I can start doing double French/Dutch braids and at waist+ I started experimenting with disc buns(two of them to), And they worked great. But unfortunately I cut my hair again before I really had a chance to do much with buns

Aw that's too bad. I couldn't do a LWB until I was waist/hip, and I'm only slightly over 4 inches circumference, so I can imagine what it must be like for you and the frustration of not being able to do a single bun. Separating the styles into a half-up and adding the rest to the bun, is often a solution.

hayheadsbird
June 25th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Aw that's too bad. I couldn't do a LWB until I was waist/hip, and I'm only slightly over 4 inches circumference,

This gives me hope! I'm about 12 months from waist...LWB here we come!

lapushka
June 25th, 2016, 04:43 PM
This gives me hope! I'm about 12 months from waist...LWB here we come!

Ooh exiting! :D :thumbsup: Here's to hoping you'll be able to do one soon.

Anya15
June 26th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Thanks everyone!

Andthetalltrees,I still cannot do any bun other than a very messy cinnablob! And my hair is past waist when stretched! :lol: You can section the bun and do it until your hair grows longer :flower: I have a 5" circ, and I struggle, I think I will struggle even more once I grow out my layers (but my hair will probably be long enough then). I cannot imagine how difficult it must be with 6"!

I'm pretty sure I was well over 5" when I was younger (My old childhood photos have such thick braids!) but back then my mom braided my hair so well I didn't have to deal with it :D

meteor
June 26th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Anou, that half-up is absolutely gorgeous! :crush:

About LWBs and buns in general... interestingly, I found that I could get the braided versions done first (I managed braided LWB at around hip-tailbone)... If the hair is still short, the braiding may need to be a bit creative: for example, starting bun with 3 braids held together or smaller braid going into larger braid (e.g. Ellingwoman bun), etc...
I think it's somewhat thickness related: basically with thick hair you need more length to do the wrapping of the ends around, but thick ends stick out everywhere more, however, braiding hair first kind of lets you control the thickness a bit. I think this is particularly useful for those with heavy layering (thick hair that could stick out of updos is held down by the braid intersections more).

Garnetgem
June 26th, 2016, 10:06 AM
I am starting to struggle with how to tie it up too...its in that awkward stage where many give up...my bun wont stay slithers out and is getting heavy claw clips ar not to great either...but will watch this thread for tips :)

Anya15
June 26th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Anou, that half-up is absolutely gorgeous! :crush:

About LWBs and buns in general... interestingly, I found that I could get the braided versions done first (I managed braided LWB at around hip-tailbone)... If the hair is still short, the braiding may need to be a bit creative: for example, starting bun with 3 braids held together or smaller braid going into larger braid (e.g. Ellingwoman bun), etc...
I think it's somewhat thickness related: basically with thick hair you need more length to do the wrapping of the ends around, but thick ends stick out everywhere more, however, braiding hair first kind of lets you control the thickness a bit. I think this is particularly useful for those with heavy layering (thick hair that could stick out of updos is held down by the braid intersections more).

This is very true. I cannot manage a braided LWB right now for sure but I can do a braided cinnabun held with U-pins. The unbraided version just falls apart unless it's a sectioned bun.

Thank you Meteor :flower: I am going to wear half-up buns more often because my hair really doesn't look/feel long with all my layers visible. :(

meteor
June 26th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Thank you, anou! :flower:

Hey, guys! I just saw a new updo style by Silvousplaits based on 2 English braids that should be really good for thick hair that's hard to bun (it should work with spin pins, U-pins, claw-clips, etc...).
It's kind of similar to "braided beehive" bun, but it places things more diagonally, off-center in an interesting shape. I thought I'd share it here :) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0UeDo_vs0c