PDA

View Full Version : White dots

Nadine <3
April 15th, 2016, 01:12 PM
So it seams I have a sudden bunch of white dots and I can't figure out why. My routine had been working really well and my hair has been coming out of washes perfectly moisturized, and not weighed down. I have really fine and thin hair and even though it soaks up oils and conditioner like a sponge, I still have to be careful when and how much I put on or I risk looking...wet. Plus, I find that oil applied to my tips somehow travels up the length and makes my hair dirtier faster than usual. I have SD so I have to me mindful of that or I get itchy.

Anyways, I usually just wash once or twice a week with suave shampoo and conditioner. I condition twice, and for a leave in I use a mix of almond oil and cocoa butter, and sometimes I throw in a coney serum. This simple routine had been working great, but today my nearing waist length hair is tangle city and I spotted a few white dots, some about a half inch from the ends. If I gently tug them, they break :( I dye my hair with manic panic and I always clarify well right before I dye it, so I don't think it could be build up. I dyed my hair 2 weeks ago (ish) but I jumped in the shower and clarified well and then plopped a mixture of sauve conditioner, raw honey, olive oil, and about half a packet of knox gelatin for some protein. Hopefully that will help. I'm just so sad that my poor hairs seem to be sad when they were doing so well!

Mademoiselle
April 15th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Hi beautiful ! I have the same problem two years ago,because dyes and wicks had white dots at various heights of my hair if he ran his hand broke, I cut the ends every two months so I would continue so to end all damaged.Luckily a friend recommended me a mask and stopped appearing points and leave hair broken =) I love use oils at home, but that did not help me at that time my hair was very fragile. I do not want to do any advertising, if you think it can help you too then say it and I say the name of the mask ok? it really helps me at that moment :)

gthlvrmx
April 15th, 2016, 01:54 PM
I am wondering if maybe the manic panic dye is damaging your hair somehow. Does anyone else know how manic panic works that can chime in? Is there some sort of peroxide thing involved with the dying? If so, then that might be the cause. The most I know about any dye is henna.

lapushka
April 15th, 2016, 02:28 PM
A few white dots isn't that bad, honestly. As long as it's not half of your hair, you'll be fine. I'd not pull them, but leave them alone. They can resist quite a bit before they finally do break off. I had mine from shoulder all the way to hip, when my mom did a major S&D session for me. They were all still intact. A few had broken off along the way (unavoidable) but not the majority of them. So, take it slow.

I'd also reconsider the Manic Panic. Maybe that is why it is happening? I don't see fault with the rest of your routine.

kendraf
April 15th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Manic Panic is a veggie dye and at best should moisturize hair (as long as it's on virgin hair with no pre-lightening beforehand). Considering you and I have similar hair Nadine, I would guess maybe using a different deep treatment routine to see if your hair just isn't getting enough moisture? It is strange.

You don't have any prior damage to the ends (old traditional dye/bleach or heat/mechanical damage) correct?

Nadine <3
April 15th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Manic panic doesn't lighten your hair at all. It's just conditioner that is pigmented, really. My hair actually feels fabulous after I dye it. I leave the stuff on for 4 hours or so so I get a really nice stain.

I just rinsed out the DT I put in. Hopefully that takes care of the tangling at least.

Nadine <3
April 15th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Manic Panic is a veggie dye and at best should moisturize hair (as long as it's on virgin hair with no pre-lightening beforehand). Considering you and I have similar hair Nadine, I would guess maybe using a different deep treatment routine to see if your hair just isn't getting enough moisture? It is strange.

You don't have any prior damage to the ends (old traditional dye/bleach or heat/mechanical damage) correct?

Nah, I had the last of my old layers cut out a few months ago. A bad layering job was my only real issue, I've never used a lot of heat and I've never bleached my hair. I've only used the manic panic on it. Maybe I just need to be less lazy with my routine lol

Chocowalnut
April 15th, 2016, 03:23 PM
I think after bsl its easier to get white dots. You usually wear your hair up right? Try to prevent your hair from getting tangled as much as you can (don't wear it down). Nothing wrong with manic panic. I second doing a deep moisturizing treatment once a week or so that has like oils and silk and cones in it. Just a few white dots should be fine though, unless you start getting a bunch.

Nadine <3
April 15th, 2016, 03:36 PM
For the most part my hair is kept up in a bun. Sometimes I wear a pony tail so I can show off whatever color I have on my ends, but it's not often just because it gets in my way. I always make sure the elastic isn't placed to tight and I carefully detangle it when I'm done being majestic. I do it maybe once a month, maybe. I never just wear it down. It's getting to long for that to be practical :)

I'm going to add a weekly moisture treatment to try and combat them. Maybe some S&D but I'm generally far to impatient to do that.

Nadine <3
April 15th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Well the DT and clarify helped big time with all the tangles I had. My hair feels much better. Hopefully doing that once a week will nip the white dot issue in the butt.

Llama
April 15th, 2016, 04:50 PM
White dots are the bane of my existence :P I'm sorry you are having to fight them.
Be vigilant with S&Ding the white dots. Also, does your hair like coconut oil? I didn't do a coconut oil treatment for months and after I finally did one my hair feels a lot better. Much less tangly.

RainbowBowser
April 15th, 2016, 07:12 PM
I was about to suggest clarifying but I see that helped with the DT :D
Glad that worked out, had a similar issue last week.

Horrorpops
April 15th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Nadine, I am struggling with this as well, all of a sudden the lower 3 inches of hair have all these white dots.. Maybe I am paying the piper from wearing my hair down so much! :(

Anya15
April 15th, 2016, 08:45 PM
I am having this problem too, Nadine! As my hair is getting closer to waist, I have been noticing a number of splits. So I have started S&Ding. Strangely, it's only my fine hairs that have the splits. The medium to coarse ones are totally fine.

I guess it's normal to get them at this length. S&D should take care of it. :)

gthlvrmx
April 15th, 2016, 09:00 PM
I want to point out that sometimes due to certain lighting, a hair strand can look like it has a white dot but it's completely fine. I found this to be very true for me many times. I have had a hair before that looked like it had a white dot, then I cut it off with my scissors over and over again, and each time it still looked like it had a white dot. I moved to a different lighting and then the white dot was gone. :p

MsPharaohMoan
April 15th, 2016, 09:07 PM
White dots are the bane of my existence.

Basically this. After some intense s+ding these past few months I got rid of all splits, but white dots... :scared: I'm sure if you were super religious about s+ding you would probably see them less frequently, but as Lapushka sometimes points out if you have a bunch of damage than s+ding will eat your hemline (your majestic hemline :rolling:). It's up to you what you want to do to contain the dots, whether you want to do occasional s+d (my method), or trim the hemline (helpful if that's where most of them are). So long as you have good moisture and protein balance and are gentle, it'll take time for the white dots to turn into splits. I suppose it just comes with the t-hair-itory

:henny:

-second hair pun this week, crawls behind rock-

Mrstran
November 12th, 2016, 12:16 PM
My hair had those white tips ( I think that's what you are talking about) all through it. The majority of my strands had the white dots after dying my hair several times. It looked like I had singed it with a lighter. I never noticed these dots when my hair was in healthier conditions, so I assumed it was chemical or heat damage. I left them in trying to retain length, and my hair kept getting shorter. :( ... makes me cringe. And to think it was only last September.

Now when I see one I am compelled to snip it ASAP. I'm a bit traumatized

spidermom
November 12th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Honestly, I think it's the age of the fragile ends. I did everything I could stand to do for my hair, and I could never get past hip length without thousands of split ends.

Flipgirl24
November 12th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Have you changed your diet at all? Has there been a change in your health? Environment?

I love breaking the hair where the white dots are. Kinda like popping a pimple. But I know it's bad.