PDA

View Full Version : Curlies - do you get this?

LadyCelestina
April 15th, 2016, 01:07 AM
Ok so to sum it up, my hair likes to make clumpy spiral curls at the bottom and it makes my hemline look piecey/thin. It typically hapens after sleeping in a braid, gelled hair or not though gelled and product-ed hair is more likely to do this. Currently I gently separate them with fingers (causes some frizz) or put it up or wear it draped over my shoulders.

I know this is a 2nd day hair issue and it might not be solvable. I'm not entirely opposed to combing or brushing them out if it helps.

1. how do I avoid this happening?
2. if it has already happened ,how do I undo it?
3. is it normal for curlies to have a piecey hemline? I don't really know, doesn't it look weird to you ?

My hair thickness might be more towards ii not iii as I had some shedding, but this issue is caused by clumping not because of thin hemline.

Anya15
April 15th, 2016, 01:20 AM
I am not a curly, but my waves/wurls do this ALL THE TIME. If anyone has any tips on how to handle this I'd like to know too :)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 15th, 2016, 01:47 AM
I think clumping is just a thing with curlies and to some extent wavies too.

LadyCelestina
April 15th, 2016, 02:21 AM
I am not a curly, but my waves/wurls do this ALL THE TIME. If anyone has any tips on how to handle this I'd like to know too :)

Good to know I'm not the only one ! :D For me the clumps start about halfway through my length.

I think clumping is just a thing with curlies and to some extent wavies too.

I think semi-straight hair types get this too, but they can just comb it out and it's gone... as I said I'm not really against combing or brushing it out a bit if it helps and doesn't look too poofy, but I'm currently growing without trims and prefer not to add to the damage I already have.

butter52
April 15th, 2016, 02:31 AM
Im not very sure what you mean. Clumping is something usually desirable because it enhances the curly hair patern.

Do you have a picture?

LadyCelestina
April 15th, 2016, 02:38 AM
Im not very sure what you mean. Clumping is something usually desirable because it enhances the curly hair patern.

Do you have a picture?

Sure I can find some! Will edit this reply. I have a hairtype which forms "sausage curls" especially at the bottom , and for me the clumps are very big and the hair is coiled tightly, so it looks like I have two or three fat rolls of hair down my back, not an actual hemline.
ETA : The best explanation is that I naturally get the effect straighties do when they curl their hair but don't comb it out. Something like this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/61/27/9c/61279c669197639d07b79c2656c218a8.jpg

Simsy
April 15th, 2016, 03:47 AM
As a curly who never really mastered clumping...it's desirable if you like the effect. My curl pattern is more "Shirley Temple" ringlets, and my hair hates clumping. It becomes manky (sorry, only word I know that works) and horrible.

2. if it has already happened ,how do I undo it?
For your position, I would gently separate the clumps into smaller bunches and then gently twist the bunches back into a curl. You may need/prefer to wet it first, this will depend on your hair. If you brush it, you may end up with big waves instead, if you're in the mood for something different. For the frizz, a little oil or gel may help

1. how do I avoid this happening?
To try and stop it from fully forming in the first place, try coiling your hair while it's still damp into as many bunches as you want. You may need to pin the coils up to stop them unraveling, this will depend on your hair. This should let your hair dry into smaller clumps.

3. is it normal for curlies to have a piecey hemline? I don't really know, doesn't it look weird to you ?
As for the piecey hemline, depends on the hair, the curl pattern and the style it has been trimmed into; you get a similar look with fairy tale hems. As for looking weird, it's entirely personal preference. If you like the look, cool. If you're not a fan, also cool. Smaller clumps will ease the look, brushing will make it look thicker by separating the curls. If you have thickness building higher up the length, growing that down may help. My hemline starts looking piecey about 2-3 days before it gets washed, but I don't generally have my hair loose so its not really an issue with me.

lapushka
April 15th, 2016, 04:26 AM
And here I am thinking clumping is a good thing. :lol:

I have no answers. Maybe try refreshing with a mist (distilled water + squirt of conditioner) then separating with fingers, to "re-clump".

Anya15
April 15th, 2016, 07:01 AM
And here I am thinking clumping is a good thing. :lol:

I have no answers. Maybe try refreshing with a mist (distilled water + squirt of conditioner) then separating with fingers, to "re-clump".

I always thought clumping would be good for curlies, but as a wavy it just looks...not nice :lol: My hair is beginning to show signs of spiralling at the ends, though, as it grows. I used to have definite spiral clumps at the ends when I had longer hair. I'm hoping it goes back to looking like that when my hair hits longer lengths, I used to have people asking me if I'd used a curling iron because it looked nice. :D

lapushka
April 15th, 2016, 07:06 AM
I always thought clumping would be good for curlies, but as a wavy it just looks...not nice :lol: My hair is beginning to show signs of spiralling at the ends, though, as it grows. I used to have definite spiral clumps at the ends when I had longer hair. I'm hoping it goes back to looking like that when my hair hits longer lengths, I used to have people asking me if I'd used a curling iron because it looked nice. :D

Some spiraling is normal for 2b/c hair, sometimes. Sometimes I have a spiral here and there, sometimes I don't, or I don't notice. That's why I certainly don't go full 2c. My hair sometimes even refuses to clump. Yay me. :( I hate that!

Anya15
April 15th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Some spiraling is normal for 2b/c hair, sometimes. Sometimes I have a spiral here and there, sometimes I don't, or I don't notice. That's why I certainly don't go full 2c. My hair sometimes even refuses to clump. Yay me. :( I hate that!

This is so much like my hair. My longer hair almost always had spirals at the ends, but I still wouldn't type it as a full 2c since the rest of it looked like 2b. Currently I sometimes get spirals, sometimes I don't. The ends are TRYING to spiral though, I guess they just need more length. Tbh my hair is never the same on any 2 given days :lol: it's like it has its own mood!

It also sometimes stretches to a full 2b. Depending on how many days past wash day I am. Some days it just decides to become a poofy mess.

lapushka
April 15th, 2016, 08:34 AM
This is so much like my hair. My longer hair almost always had spirals at the ends, but I still wouldn't type it as a full 2c since the rest of it looked like 2b. Currently I sometimes get spirals, sometimes I don't. The ends are TRYING to spiral though, I guess they just need more length. Tbh my hair is never the same on any 2 given days :lol: it's like it has its own mood!

It also sometimes stretches to a full 2b. Depending on how many days past wash day I am. Some days it just decides to become a poofy mess.

Totally get what you mean on the poofy mess, well mess sounds just about right, I don't much get the "poofy" bits because I always slick it well down with moisture. :lol:

LadyCelestina
April 15th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Thank you very much for the detailed reply Simsy! :flower: I will definitely try this :

For your position, I would gently separate the clumps into smaller bunches and then gently twist the bunches back into a curl. You may need/prefer to wet it first, this will depend on your hair. If you brush it, you may end up with big waves instead, if you're in the mood for something different. For the frizz, a little oil or gel may help

And I might post before after if anyone is interested. I can't brush at the moment because I don't have a brush right now. The clumps aren't an issue on 1st day hair so I won't fuss with it while it's damp... But I might re-wet my hair before going to bed and doing what you described.

LadyCelestina
April 15th, 2016, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=lapushka;3209281]And here I am thinking clumping is a good thing. :lol:

I have no answers. Maybe try refreshing with a mist (distilled water + squirt of conditioner) then separating with fingers, to "re-clump".[/QUOTE

You have a different texture and your hair is also thicker than mine :) I think people whose hair doesn't clump very much naturally or have hair thick enough to want to decrease it's volume might be in the majority :D

Beborani
April 15th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Yes, this is pretty much the norm for me. If you want to wear your hair down then probably rewetting or rewashing is needed but if it is going up then use the piecy ends to dress up your bun-- they are already protected in the clumps so you can let them be free.

LadyCelestina
April 15th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Yes, this is pretty much the norm for me. If you want to wear your hair down then probably rewetting or rewashing is needed but if it is going up then use the piecy ends to dress up your bun-- they are already protected in the clumps so you can let them be free.

Yes, pony's also look pretty good with them. I will try what Simsy said and check back in.

ExpectoPatronum
April 15th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Ooh I like your clumps. Your hair looks gorgeous!

Anyway, clumping is a natural part of having curly hair. Mine does it. Brushing it when wet immediately before styling helps my clumps from getting too large, though I'll still have some sections that just can't stand the thought of being separate -_-

What I do, is a take a tiny amount of product - usually a cream, though a small bit of oil can help too - and I just carefully go through the larger clumps and separate them out with my fingers. Having a little product on your hands helps keep frizz at bay, and can help them stay separated longer.

Obsidian
April 15th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Here I thought my hair was just problematic, never really occurred to me large clumping was normal for curlies. With my length, I get three big clumps 2-3 days after washing and they suck right up tight to my nape. Sometime I can brush them out for waves but more often than not, it goes frizzy if I try. Re-wetting helps but for me, washing is the ultimate fix. This is why I spent so many years straightening my hair, I just couldn't deal with the clumping ringlets.

lapushka
April 15th, 2016, 09:50 AM
You have a different texture and your hair is also thicker than mine :) I think people whose hair doesn't clump very much naturally or have hair thick enough to want to decrease it's volume might be in the majority :D

True. You are ii/iii though, so that's not that much different, as I'm just over iii. ;) And you have a bit more "wave/curl" than me.

Hairkay
April 15th, 2016, 10:15 AM
I'm happy with my tight curls clumping because I spent all of my childhood and about a decade trying to brush every clump out of my hair. It made the ends of my hair break off so my hair stayed the same length for all that time. You can always separate the curls with your hands and twirl each section how you want it. I don't think it will be easy to prevent this from happening because this is what curls do.

lazuliblue
April 15th, 2016, 11:13 AM
I think for me, when my waves/spirals clump together, it can make my hemline look thinner than if they are separated out by finger combing etc. I have to strike a careful balance between allowing natural clumping, and gently making them less...stuck together without it becoming a fluffy, wavy mess. But I have quite a bit of taper after BSL so it's even more of a challenge to make sure that it doesn't look exceptionally thin.

LadyCelestina
April 15th, 2016, 12:17 PM
I'm very relieved that you other curlies know what I am talking about! I thought it was only me :lol:

LadyCelestina
April 15th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Ooh I like your clumps. Your hair looks gorgeous!

Anyway, clumping is a natural part of having curly hair. Mine does it. Brushing it when wet immediately before styling helps my clumps from getting too large, though I'll still have some sections that just can't stand the thought of being separate -_-

What I do, is a take a tiny amount of product - usually a cream, though a small bit of oil can help too - and I just carefully go through the larger clumps and separate them out with my fingers. Having a little product on your hands helps keep frizz at bay, and can help them stay separated longer.
Oh but that is not my hair there! I just posted it as an example of what I mean by clumping :O I have never tried brushing my hair while wet. Even combing while wet makes me break hairs because I'm super clumsy :D

I'm happy with my tight curls clumping because I spend all of my childhood and about a decade trying to brush every clump out of my hair. It made the ends of my hair break off so my hair stayed the same length for all that time. You can always separate the curls with your hands and twirl each section how you want it. I don't think it will be easy to prevent this from happening because this is what curls do.
I though I might be able to prevent it because for me, it's a 2nd day hair issue, and I sleep in a braid, which mean 8 hours or more of compressed hair. ETA: Oh damn I forgot to put that in the OP :(

Salwety
April 15th, 2016, 11:47 PM
I second what you said Hairkay

For me, I try to style and arrange my hair the way I want it to be(it doesn't always follow my orders though) , then leave it alone till it is totally dry before I touch it. That way it holds the look and frizz is limited, and the curls doesn't reclump together. I sleep in a loose high bun to keep it in the same shape.

If you prefer to braid at night, try not to comb your waves or curls and do more than one braid, you can section your hair as manny as you can.

LadyCelestina
April 16th, 2016, 03:26 AM
True. You are ii/iii though, so that's not that much different, as I'm just over iii. ;) And you have a bit more "wave/curl" than me.

I always thought you have super thick hair :) because of your pictures and the fact you cannot do a nautilus bun, whereas I can do it at around WL stretched... I might have my stats wrong though. At the time I joined LHC, my hair was really quite thick, then stuff happenned and now I guess I'm ii. I also mentioned this earlier in my post. When I measure my hair, I get 9-10 cm, when my sister did it, asking her to compress it as much as possible,she said it's 8-9 (hits the divider between them).

LadyCelestina
April 16th, 2016, 03:30 AM
If you prefer to braid at night, try not to comb your waves or curls and do more than one braid, you can section your hair as manny as you can.
This somehow never occured to me. Thanks!

lapushka
April 16th, 2016, 04:06 AM
I always thought you have super thick hair :) because of your pictures and the fact you cannot do a nautilus bun, whereas I can do it at around WL stretched... I might have my stats wrong though. At the time I joined LHC, my hair was really quite thick, then stuff happenned and now I guess I'm ii. I also mentioned this earlier in my post. When I measure my hair, I get 9-10 cm, when my sister did it, asking her to compress it as much as possible,she said it's 8-9 (hits the divider between them).

I'm 11 cm last time I checked, so that's about 4.25", a little over. The reason I can't do a nautilus now is mostly due to the layers, I think. At around classic, normally I should be able to manage one.

Anya15
April 16th, 2016, 04:12 AM
I'm 11 cm last time I checked, so that's about 4.25", a little over. The reason I can't do a nautilus now is mostly due to the layers, I think. At around classic, normally I should be able to manage one.

^THIS. My layers are making every hairstyle fall apart :lol: But I think I will be able to manage a nautilus when my hair hits waist unstretched. Because I have a lot of short layers so the entire length of my hair wont be as thick as it would be if I had a blunt cut. I'm 12.7 cm - that's 5".

The nautilus variation that was posted on the forum today is working, though, but I'll have to wear it for a while and see if it 1. holds up when I am up and about, and 2. pulls on my scalp or not

LadyCelestina
April 16th, 2016, 04:27 AM
I tried this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-BQ5OMV2Y and it also fell apart and I couldn't get loop over the base... what I do is wrap it from above not underneath, and don't fully coil the hair around the base,I leave enough ends left so I can grab them with the hand I have the coil around. Am I doing it right?

ETA - I'm at waist,layered, though not as thick as you two :)
ETA - I'm having some sort of nautili enlightenment moment right now :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5gTy1gCyqE the first one is what I do,but leave some of the hair out to help pull the loop. I can do it even if I wrap the hair around fully.

I can't do the one in Hypnotica's because either the loop is too small to go over the base, or the base is too big to fit into loop.

LadyCelestina
April 16th, 2016, 05:06 AM
My roots hurt like hill right now...

Anya15
April 16th, 2016, 05:12 AM
The second video - I used to be able to do that kind of nautilus a few years ago, but my hair was a. TBL, b. thinner - 4", and c. not layered. So yeah. But 4" is still a fair amount of hair so I would find it difficult to do without twisting the hair. I used to wear a braided nautilus a lot, that was the best of the lot.

Right now, well...I can't do any of them :lol:

LadyCelestina
April 16th, 2016, 05:40 AM
Yeah, I can imagine that :) I just started wondering if I was doing the nautilus bun right after reading your comments, then I found out about these two variations and thought maybe that the other one might work better for some people. I can't do a comfortable braided nautilus right now as my hair is too short, but I wish I could because I hear they are rock solid ! :D

Anya15
April 16th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Yes! Braided nautilus would hold like a rock for me. :) Oh god, when will my hair get long enough, and when will I grow out these pesky layers...

Salwety
April 16th, 2016, 10:45 PM
And this is one of the moments that you will not find any where but the LHC ... when you are waist length and say that your hair is short.

I know for myself that waist length is my short goal for long hair, but even when I reached it I will see my hair as short too.
Good luck LadyCelestina in finding a comfortable solution. I am not a bun expert at all :rolleyes: . Wish to be one day when I have enough hair.

LadyCelestina
April 17th, 2016, 06:27 AM
And this is one of the moments that you will not find any where but the LHC ... when you are waist length and say that your hair is short.

I know for myself that waist length is my short goal for long hair, but even when I reached it I will see my hair as short too.
Good luck LadyCelestina in finding a comfortable solution. I am not a bun expert at all :rolleyes: . Wish to be one day when I have enough hair.

I mean it's too short for a braided nautilus :) I don't really find my hair to be short right now. I did when I was very active about growing it. But I am currently growing from a chop where I intended to keep my hair short but was too lazy to mantain it, stopped trimming at all and my hair grew super quickly so being all of sudden at waist is like lol what how did I get there :lol: .

also I think curlies can consider their hair long even if it looks short due to shrinkage...

butter52
April 17th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Sure I can find some! Will edit this reply. I have a hairtype which forms "sausage curls" especially at the bottom , and for me the clumps are very big and the hair is coiled tightly, so it looks like I have two or three fat rolls of hair down my back, not an actual hemline.
ETA : The best explanation is that I naturally get the effect straighties do when they curl their hair but don't comb it out. Something like this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/61/27/9c/61279c669197639d07b79c2656c218a8.jpg

ohhh I see. I cant think of anything else than combing with the fingers. sorry

rhosyn_du
April 17th, 2016, 04:46 PM
I get this. When my hair is past about APL, I get super-clumpy rope-like curls, and there is nothing in the world that will make them non-clumpy except constantly combing my hair as it dries, and that gives me poofy frizz instead. At shorter lengths, I don't really it due to the see-through ends factor, but around hip or so, the ropey clumps get this sort of wild, bog-witch aesthetic that I quite like. Last time I was growing out my hair, I mostly just kept my hair up during the awkward, weird clumps length. Mine actually looked pretty cool in comet buns of various types, because they were all gathered together instead of spread across my entire back. LadyCelestina, have you tried a comet-style nautilus?

Jennah
April 17th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Yes, I get this all the time.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22070&d=1458340418

What I do if I want to break the clumping is to flip my head down to the front and let the hair fall towards the floor, then put my fingers on my scalp and massage it and it breaks the clumps from the roots and it makes your hair big.

You have to do this when the hair is dry and frizz free, otherwise you can make it look frizzy instead.

LadyCelestina
April 18th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Yes, I get this all the time.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22070&d=1458340418

What I do if I want to break the clumping is to flip my head down to the front and let the hair fall towards the floor, then put my fingers on my scalp and massage it and it breaks the clumps from the roots and it makes your hair big.

You have to do this when the hair is dry and frizz free, otherwise you can make it look frizzy instead.

Jennah, I like your clumps in the picture :) Mine get much clumpier and not so nice. I do that too for volume,but it does nothing for the clumps lower down the length.

mamaherrera
April 22nd, 2016, 03:35 PM
This bugs me too. When my hair was looking better, I don't know whats wrong with it now. . if it's the cut. . I don't want to think it's hair loss because I"m shedding normal quantities. But look I like my clumps when they look like this. . . . http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=21517

Now lately I can't replicate that look, now it looks like this . .. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=22591 and there's definitely less volume and poof. I like poofy clumps.

Now with lots of KCCC, it looks like this, and I dislike honestly. . . http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=22609
I prefer the big poofy clumps, less in quantity, than lots of scragly thin clumps. . . but I hear ya. . . I too have lost 1/4 inch of my ponytail but I dont think that would be the sole cause of this change in my clumps.

girlcat36
April 22nd, 2016, 07:09 PM
My hemline always looks piece-y, even at shoulder length. I've been checking out other curlies hemlines out in the 'wild' and it seems to be the norm. It seems only ridiculously thick/coarse curly hair is capable of a solid hemline.
My hair is quite thin, and I spent my first few years at LHC patiently trimming off half my growth each month to get a solid hemline, but it never happened.
I've learned to accept it finally. Don't be fooled by my siggy photo. I'm cheating with a dark shirt which always makes me hair appear less clumped.

luluj
April 23rd, 2016, 06:32 AM
My hair does this also, although more so when it is longer and layered. Right now I am all one length (for the first time in a very long time) and there is much less "clumping" going on, especially after washing. By day two the clumps do start to form again.....it is just the nature of the hair type I believe.