PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with MASSIVE frizz :(

Anya15
April 14th, 2016, 07:14 AM
The humidity here is increasing day by day and my hair is having a frizz explosion.

My hair has always had a frizz problem while air drying, the little coarse kinky hair strands I have close to my scalp usually frizz a lot and give me that "halo" look. I usually solve this by detangling and a light oiling after it dries. But right now it's frizzy ALL THE TIME. I do not know how to deal with this!!

Any of you wavies/wurlies have any tips for dealing with frizz?

morrigan*
April 14th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Maybe try oiling it while damp ? Or leave in conditioner ?

Now i only experience frizz if there is really humid, but when my hair was damaged it was constantly frizzy.

lapushka
April 14th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Maybe the rinse-out oil (only use this on the lengths of your hair, though). The link is in my signature to check out, if you want. Basically it means you shampoo as normal, take 10 drops of an oil, spread well through palms and run over the lengths or very tips of your hair (your choice), then rinse, then apply your conditioner. You can also apply your conditioner directly and then rinse - you just have to experiment a little with what works for you.

I would try a serum or maybe some aloe vera gel, for now, until you can wash again.

catasa
April 14th, 2016, 08:22 AM
My lengths are much happier and less frizzy with lapuskaīs ROO/rinse-out-oil method, itīs great! :) The canopy is trickier since I want to avoid getting conditioner or oils on my scalp. I usually do apply a very little of my leave in mineral oil on the canopy top layer (by stroking my palms over the canopy after stroking the lengths and applying most of the oil there) and it helps a little. Also blowdrying on cool/warmish, from above and down the canopy/lengths, help my wiry halo hairs to be smoother and calmer (but I am unsure whether they will really stay smoother once you go out if it is really humid/rainy). No better suggestions unfortunately... Iīll be stalking this thread to see if anyone else has a good tip that I havenīt tried!

Anya15
April 14th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Morrigan, I do oil while damp as I do a variation of LOC.
Lapushka, I will try the rinse-out oil in my next wash! What kind of oil is best? I have M hair predominantly (though about a third of it is F.) I usually do oiling as a pre-poo treatment though - do I continue doing this along with rinse-out oil? I am a bit confused.
Catasa, thank you for the tip! Maybe I can increase the amount of oil I use, but I don't want to end up with a greasy scalp-as it is, I wash twice a week.

I have decided to begin using conditioner as my hair is getting longer and the ends get a bit dry. But since I am sulfate-free I need a silicone free conditioner, which I ordered online so I will have to wait until it arrives.

I will look at some serums, and for now I will use aloe gel. I need to really search for a silicone free one as my hair does not like silicones! Nearly everything sold here for hair has silicones in it. I have even seen some hair oils with silicones... :/

Thanks a ton! :flowers:

genlilliana
April 14th, 2016, 08:56 AM
It seems that I suffer from this issue as well. I've tried oiling, leave-in conditioner and still have an issue with frizzy hairs on top of my head. I find that the majority of them are new growth. The only thing that seems to work is adding in a little gel and I hate to do that - I only go that method when I've got an event. If you find another method that helps, please share!

Mademoiselle
April 14th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Hi anou, maybe I can help you, my mother have the same problem whit the frizz (she have curly and frizzy hair) she prepares a natural gel whit linseed and her hair looks very good everytime, without frizz.
I give you the recipe if you want to try:
-0,5liter of water
-3 tablespoon of linseed
-1 tablespoon of coconut oil or almod oil
She puts it all into the pot to boil for half an hour and then she sneaks it. When the liquid is cooled will catch gel texture, you must keep in the fridge to hold more days.
She uses it with wet hair like any gel and removes any frizz.
if you decide to try I hope work you too:)

Ferryl
April 14th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Try the Ethic section in the hair aisle of your stores. I've found they have more silicone free/natural ingredients in a larger portion of their products. Good luck!

spidermom
April 14th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Styling gel.
Put small dab of gel into palm. Wet the other hand. Rub hands together. Run palms down hair.

This is my last step in styling on frizzy days. Sometimes I have to do it twice. Comb out carefully at the end of the day.

catasa
April 14th, 2016, 10:05 AM
snip
I have decided to begin using conditioner as my hair is getting longer and the ends get a bit dry. But since I am sulfate-free I need a silicone free conditioner, which I ordered online so I will have to wait until it arrives.

I will look at some serums, and for now I will use aloe gel. I need to really search for a silicone free one as my hair does not like silicones! Nearly everything sold here for hair has silicones in it. I have even seen some hair oils with silicones... :/

Thanks a ton! :flowers:

If you have a hard time finding a conditioner you like you could try pure honey - that is what I use as my hair hates regular conditioner/aquires buildup very easily. I use the honey exactly as a normal conditioner - shampoo hair, squeeze excess moisture from lengths, apply my rinse-out-oil to lengths from ears/nape down (I use mineral oil, about 6-8 drops), apply the honey also only to the lengths, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse. This works very well for me and seem to cause very little buildup, if any at all. Maybe the honey could actually also be used on the canopy without getting "oily" or weighing the scalp hair down very much, but I havenīt tried this (I am quite afraid of anything moisturizing on my scalp since my CO experiment = massive shedding).

I hope you find something that works! :blossom:

Anya15
April 14th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Catasa, will honey make my hair sticky?

I will try everything. Mineral oil, styling gel, everything. one by one. I am annoyed with this sudden horrible frizz explosion.

catasa
April 14th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Catasa, will honey make my hair sticky?

I will try everything. Mineral oil, styling gel, everything. one by one. I am annoyed with this sudden horrible frizz explosion.

No, since I rinse the honey out thoroughly it does not make my hair sticky at all. But it would if I left it in there I guess :)

yogagirl
April 14th, 2016, 12:50 PM
What do you do when your hair is drying? I have noticed the less I touch it or move it, the less frizz I have. Basically I try to let it just hang there while it is drying. No combing/brushing, no towel drying, no flipping it around, no putting it up or braiding it, etc.

Anya15
April 14th, 2016, 12:54 PM
What do you do when your hair is drying? I have noticed the less I touch it or move it, the less frizz I have. Basically I try to let it just hang there while it is drying. No combing/brushing, no towel drying, no flipping it around, no putting it up or braiding it, etc.

I use the plopping method for an hour and after that it's just left down to air dry. I detangle with my fingers before doing my damp oiling. But since one of my wash days is usually a weekday, I walk to class with my hair bouncing around, and I constantly have to push the front layers out of my face (they are very short and at an annoying length right now.) Perhaps that is contributing to the extra frizz.

lapushka
April 14th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Lapushka, I will try the rinse-out oil in my next wash! What kind of oil is best? I have M hair predominantly (though about a third of it is F.) I usually do oiling as a pre-poo treatment though - do I continue doing this along with rinse-out oil? I am a bit confused.

I use baby oil myself, 10 drops is *just* right for me. 15 is way too smoothing, and with 5 I don't notice that much. You could use olive oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba, macadamia nut oil. It's all good; whatever you have will be fine!

I wouldn't use the pre-poo when you do rinse-out oil, you want to be able to judge the method for what it is.

Anya15
April 14th, 2016, 09:12 PM
I use baby oil myself, 10 drops is *just* right for me. 15 is way too smoothing, and with 5 I don't notice that much. You could use olive oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba, macadamia nut oil. It's all good; whatever you have will be fine!

I wouldn't use the pre-poo when you do rinse-out oil, you want to be able to judge the method for what it is.

Thank you! I will now have to find me some of these oils :D
My scalp has been suddenly very itchy and irritated for the past couple days-wondering if this and the sudden frizz are related.

Kimberly
April 15th, 2016, 12:08 PM
When my hair gets frizzy I stretch washes more, use less of my shampoo bar, and do coconut oil pre-treatment if it continues. Between washes, I spray with homemade rose water to calm frizz (just high quality rose oil in water, no glycerin) or use a tiny dab of Panacea.

Anya15
April 16th, 2016, 02:24 AM
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w405/anuluff/WIN_20160416_13_18_41_Pro_zps3la4ub1z.jpg

Sorry about the pic quality, it's my webcam, but you can see how much frizz I have. Hair is damp from a wash and left to air dry. :(

lapushka
April 16th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Thank you! I will now have to find me some of these oils :D
My scalp has been suddenly very itchy and irritated for the past couple days-wondering if this and the sudden frizz are related.

Just don't let the oils touch your scalp. If you have SD the oils will "feed" the fungal growth - not good!

Anya15
April 16th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Yes, I have been oiling the length and ends :)

girlcat36
April 16th, 2016, 11:15 AM
There's frizz, and then there's massive frizz. I always have some frizz due to hair type; but I find massive frizz happens when I have build up, and the only thing that cures it is a baking soda rinse. Not everyone's hair agrees with baking soda, though.

lapushka
April 16th, 2016, 04:13 PM
There's frizz, and then there's massive frizz. I always have some frizz due to hair type; but I find massive frizz happens when I have build up, and the only thing that cures it is a baking soda rinse. Not everyone's hair agrees with baking soda, though.

No. BS is *very* alkaline and generally not suited for hair. YMMV, of course. I have SD (it's mostly under control, but sometimes the itchiness and the flakes pop up), and somehow BS doesn't agree with me. Also, I get velcro-y tangly hair from it! Yuck. It's definitely not for me!!!

girlcat36
April 16th, 2016, 05:29 PM
yes, baking soda is alkaline; but I have extremely low porosity hair, so baking soda always make it better. Most people prefer vinegar, which my hair hates.