PDA

View Full Version : Text-based Hair Tutorials

Katia_k
April 13th, 2016, 12:44 PM
MOD NOTE: This thread is now the central location for all Text-based Hair Tutorials. If you would like to improve an existing tutorial or add one that does not yet exist here, please report your post so that mods can add the link to the LHC Hairstyle Thesaurus (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554) stickied in the Mane Forum.

For improvements to existing tutorials, please coordinate with a mod to edit the existing post so existing linkages can be maintained.

Hi all,
So I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for sites/folks that have really good text-based hair tutorials? I'm blind, and so finding tutorials has been something of a challenge. I know many people type out descriptions along with their pics, but, for obvious reasons, it's usually easier to let the picture do the bulk of the explaining, since that's generally the most helpful. But I'm really trying to get more styles in my repetoir *eyes her currently collapsing bun*, and some good instruction would be super helpful.

It obviously doesn't have to be pictureless, or just text. Just any site or video that has really good/detailed description along with the images. I'm getting bored, and I'd like to experiment more. :)

Much obliged.

Anje
April 13th, 2016, 01:19 PM
There are definitely descriptions of what people do, but yeah, a lot of people use videos. As I recall, though, Torrin Paige on youtube narrates what she's doing pretty thoroughly. Here's a URL to a playlist of her videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF3508F6411A91FDE

If all else fails and you hear about a specific style you want to learn, feel free to ask. I'm sure any of a number of people here will happily describe how they do it, step by step.

meteor
April 13th, 2016, 01:56 PM
I know LHC member Arctic has an excellent blog where she often describes how she does her styles verbally in great detail. :)

I would recommend checking out her 3-strand disc bun. If you follow this link http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125332 and then scroll down to "3-STRAND DISC BUN HOW TO", you'll get her text-based instructions.

Also, there are a few buns we can probably explain right here:

Lazy Wrap Bun:
- First gather all your hair in a ponytail held by one hand.
- Bring your hair on top over your index finger (and as many other fingers as you need - the thicker the hair, the more fingers you need for the loop) and then bring hair behind your hand to the other side.
- Now bring the hair over your thumb. (The more you stretch out your fingers, the bigger the hair loop will be.)
- Wrap your hair around the base of your ponytail (multiple times, if needed, until there is no more hair left).
- Take your hair stick/fork and push it through along your index finger in your bun, grab some scalp hair with a weaving motion, go with a stick through the bun and bring it out - on the other side, where the thumb is.
- If there are any ends sticking out, tuck them under the bun.
Please let me know if you want me to explain the steps in more detail. :flower:

Also, cinnabun is pretty easy. Just grab hair in a ponytail hold and start twisting it. As it twists, start wrapping it around the base in a circle shape. Pin loops down as you go with U-pins.

Also, can you braid, Katia_k? If so, it's going to get much easier with bunning too. For example, you can simply make a knot with your braid and pin it with a stick (tucking ends under) or you can do a folded braid (just fold it upwards and use claw-clips or U-pins to pin it down) or just coil up your braid around the base in circle like a cinnabun and pin it in place with a stick, claw-clips, U-pins, etc. :)
Please let us know if there are specific styles you are curious about and we'll try to explain! :flower:

lillielil
April 13th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I found a few at Art For Hair. They have pictures, but are more text-based. The site has a number of dead links and the style instructions are interspersed with a blog, but I think I got them all here:

Cinnamon Bun (http://artforhair.blogspot.com/2008/06/styles-1-simple-cinnamon-bun.html)
Flip (http://artforhair.blogspot.com/2008/06/styles-2-flip.html)
Chinese Bun (http://artforhair.blogspot.com/2008/06/styles-3-chinese-bun.html)
Half-up Bun (http://artforhair.blogspot.com/2008/07/styles-4-half-up-bun.html)

If I come across more I will try to make a point of coming back to this thread and posting them.

Katia_k
April 13th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I know LHC member Arctic has an excellent blog where she often describes how she does her styles verbally in great detail. :)
[...]
Also, there are a few buns we can probably explain right here:

Lazy Wrap Bun:
- First gather all your hair in a ponytail held by one hand.
- Bring your hair on top over your index finger (and as many other fingers as you need - the thicker the hair, the more fingers you need for the loop) and then bring hair behind your hand to the other side.
- Now bring the hair over your thumb. (The more you stretch out your fingers, the bigger the hair loop will be.)
- Wrap your hair around the base of your ponytail (multiple times, if needed, until there is no more hair left).
- Take your hair stick/fork and push it through along your index finger in your bun, grab some scalp hair with a weaving motion, go with a stick through the bun and bring it out - on the other side, where the thumb is.
- If there are any ends sticking out, tuck them under the bun.
Please let me know if you want me to explain the steps in more detail. :flower:

Also, cinnabun is pretty easy. Just grab hair in a ponytail hold and start twisting it. As it twists, start wrapping it around the base in a circle shape. Pin loops down as you go with U-pins.

Also, can you braid, Katia_k? If so, it's going to get much easier with bunning too. For example, you can simply make a knot with your braid and pin it with a stick (tucking ends under) or you can do a folded braid (just fold it upwards and use claw-clips or U-pins to pin it down) or just coil up your braid around the base in circle like a cinnabun and pin it in place with a stick, claw-clips, U-pins, etc. :)
Please let us know if there are specific styles you are curious about and we'll try to explain! :flower:

Thanks for this! After reading this, I'm realizing that half my problem is the inability to picture hair things spatially (not a blind problem, just a me-problem). So I guess I will ask for one clarification; the hand holding the ponytail/being wrapped around, are you holding from the side, from beneath?

I think cinnabun is the one I'm doing on a semi-regular basis now, which has...a modicum of success. I do know how to braid, and do braided cinnabuns fairly regularly. Though I should specify that the only braid I can do with semi-regular consistency is the English braid. Me and the French braid are still building a slow and cautious relationship--we've both been hurt before. But I will try the braid fold; that sounds like it has potential.

If someone does feel like it, I've been trying to find a good simple description of the nautilus bun, since people keep saying it's wonderfully secure etc. My hair is fluffy and curly and not *quite* long enough for a lot of styles, so secure is always a sought factor.

MlleMC
April 13th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Thanks for this! After reading this, I'm realizing that half my problem is the inability to picture hair things spatially (not a blind problem, just a me-problem). So I guess I will ask for one clarification; the hand holding the ponytail/being wrapped around, are you holding from the side, from beneath?

I'd say you hold your hand from the side, so that that hair goes up when you bring it over your index finger.

SparrowWings
April 13th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I'd say you hold your hand from the side, so that that hair goes up when you bring it over your index finger.
I'll also add that to some extent it's based on what works for you. I have found that for me, starting with my hand on the side, but tilting it so it's actually pointing at a slight downward diagonal once I've wrapped the length over my index finger helps me. This puts my wrist at a somewhat awkward overly-bent angle, but it helps me stick my index finger farther out (keeps the length from sliding off the tip of my finger), and makes it easier for me to spread my thumb far enough away for a proper opposite-side length loop without losing control of the ponytail base.

Though, thinking about it, coming from the bottom sounds like it might work even better. I'll have to try that next time!

Anje
April 13th, 2016, 04:05 PM
To help you get an idea of how these things are shaped...

Lazy Wrap buns and Nautilus buns are both made by looping the hair first around the hand somehow to make a big loop, and then the remaining hair is wrapped around the base or stem of the ponytail closer to the head than that big loop. The big loop then goes more or less around the rest of the hair and is clipped in place somehow. I like to use a hairstick or two for this, but forks, pencils, spin pins, and clips like Ficcares (which have a decorative top and a bottom and sort of clamp the hair between the two like an alligator eating a truck tire) also work well.

For a Lazy Wrap, I grab the hair in a ponytail with my left hand, then use my right hand to wrap the hair over the 4 fingers of my left, going from the right side to the left. I release it then and reach under the left arm to grab the tail of the ponytail again. At this point I have a ponytail wrapped once counter-clockwise around the fingers of my left hand, and the remaining hair in my right. I then wrap that remaining hair around a few more times in the same counter-clockwise direction, so that it wraps underneath my left hand instead of around it. Once I run out of hair, I grab the loop of hair that's on my left hand with the fingers of the right, and with both hands I pull it toward my head, sort of stretching it so that it will lie around the outside of the wrapped up part. Finally, I'll use a smooth hairstick to hold it in place by passing it so that it's further out from my head than the outer loop on one side, goes under or through the middle part, and then further from my head than the other side of the big loop.

You will have to experiment with how many fingers to wrap around. My hair is a little thin and squishes down, but it's long and I've had to add a finger over time.

lillielil
April 13th, 2016, 04:10 PM
I will try to describe the nautilus, but will rely on someone else fact-checking me on this. Instructions will be right-handed.

Gather your hair into a ponytail (do not secure with an elastic). Hold the ponytail with your left hand.
Take your right hand and extend 1, 2, 3, or 4 fingers. 1 if you have short hair, 4 if you have very long hair, and 2 or 3 if your hair is something inbetween.
Place the extended fingers of your right hand below the gathered ponytail. Your palm should face down.
With your left hand, guide your hair over the extended fingers and around them, so that it loops around your fingers and points back up (the tail should be to the left of the base of your ponytail).
Don't let go of the tail with your left hand, but hold it gently so that it can move.
Bend the fingers of your right hand so grasp the hair. Your fingers will be at your palm.
Turn your right hand so that the knuckles move along the base of the ponytail and your palm faces forward, and straighten your fingers. You have now made a loop, which you will keep on the fingers of your right hand.
With your left hand, begin wrapping the length of your hair. If you are looking at the back of your head, it will go clockwise. Continue wrapping until you get to the ends.
With your right hand, spread the loop a bit if needed, add your thumb (entering the loop from the same side as your fingers), and slide the loop over the length that you just wrapped. Do not twist it again at this step.
Adjust by pushing some of the wrapped length through the loop.
Some people find that this holds find without any sticks/forks/pins. To secure with a stick, start from the right side and insert the stick between the original loop and the wrapped portion. Grab some scalp hair (or not - figure out what works best for you) and work the stick through the base of the ponytail and the wrapped length, and then guide the stick to exit between the wrapped length and the loop on the left side of the bun.

With your length/thickness a nautilus may be a bit tricky, so I would recommend practicing with a half-up first.

meteor
April 13th, 2016, 04:11 PM

The ponytail hold is like this: all fingers are above the pony but the thumb is underneath the pony. So it's like you are cupping the hair in a "C" shape (fingers above, thumb underneath). This is important because the length with go over your fingers - then over to the other side. And then from there it will go over the thumb and onto the next side, thus creating a loop.
This is pretty difficult to explain without showing. If you have a friend or relative that can watch a LWB video for you - then maybe they can show it on your hair by guiding your hand maybe? :flower: But please let me know if I can give more details on how it's done - and I'll do my best. Also, I've found a helpful video tutorial of both LWB and disc bun that has lots of verbal explanations: I think it will help :) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37ORDkKm0E

By the way, if Arctic's explanation (in her blog) of the 3-strand disc bun were clear to you, then that is exactly what's going on with the Lazy Wrap Bun as well :) , but the LWB is easier - because you only make one loop.

I think cinnabun is the one I'm doing on a semi-regular basis now, which has...a modicum of success. I do know how to braid, and do braided cinnabuns fairly regularly. Though I should specify that the only braid I can do with semi-regular consistency is the English braid. Me and the French braid are still building a slow and cautious relationship--we've both been hurt before. But I will try the braid fold; that sounds like it has potential.

If someone does feel like it, I've been trying to find a good simple description of the nautilus bun, since people keep saying it's wonderfully secure etc. My hair is fluffy and curly and not *quite* long enough for a lot of styles, so secure is always a sought factor.

I hope somebody else can help you with the Nautilus, because I can't make it myself, for some reason, sorry. :oops:
But this video (by Lucy's Corsetry) uses lots of clear verbal instructions and it might work, I think (if your hair isn't too thick for this bun): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37ORDkKm0E

Wow, it's awesome that you can make an English braid - it will really help expand the bun arsenal! :joy: Basically, almost any bun you can do with loose hair you can do starting with a braid as well! :thumbsup:

For example, you can do an Ellingwoman Braided Bun (it holds like a rock and works on lots of lengths):
1) Make a small English braid (kind of like a half-up, from top canopy hair only);
2) Add this small braid to the rest of your hair and braid all of your hair, together with that braided section;
3) Start coiling this big braid around the base (like if you were making a cinnabun) but push your big braid through the pocket formed between your little English braid and the scalp hair - keep wrapping and coiling the big braid like this through the pocket until you run out of hair.
4) Pin it all with a stick/fork by weaving the stick/fork through the bun, grabbing some scalp hair as you go. The weaving motion is as if you were making a stitch in sewing.

Katia_k
April 14th, 2016, 07:54 AM
You are all fabulous; thank you so much! I have so many new things to play with, and so so so appreciate the wonderfully detailed descriptions. I'm seeing huge potential for the nautilus eventually, but right now I think I'm too short to pull it off. Will be trying all of these throughout the coming weeks, and checking out these videos.

...I should really stop practicing buns at work and, you know, do my job. But this is way more fun.

teal
April 14th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Good idea for a thread! I have no sight impediments; I just don't like watching videos much. :lol: It's probably a function of reading very quickly and preferring to skim articles for info in short time rather than having to wait through someone's (usually long-winded) explanation of something. Although, the hair videos aren't too bad... the subject matter is quite compelling! :lol:

Do have a listen to torrinpaige's videos as they are quite good (detailed) and she's a master of long hair styles. And, if you find one you like that has some areas of ambiguity, tell us which video and what's not clear and we'll write it out. :)

Arctic
April 15th, 2016, 12:23 AM
Thanks for mentioning my blog, Meteor! Katia, yes I do have lot of written instructions too, those come the most natural for me. And like Meteor said, I often write quite a bit of notes and observations too. Making videos is my least favourite way of making a tutorial, and I also don't enjoy watching video tutorials. I do have other than text based ones too, so you'll need to do some digging.

Here's a link to the category of my blog posts that are about hair styles, tutorials, and instructions, for easier browsing: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=11704&blogcategoryid=3445

My own hair is thinner than yours, but I bet some of them would work for you and when you learn to adjust to your own hair, a whole new world of possible styles will open up for you!

yahirwaO.o
April 15th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Ha ha. I was going to mention Artic as well! :p Her tutorials go straight to the point, detailed enough without making a sadden bore or losing me and for my hair type are fantastically accurate. :o..... may I mention she is a great person too!

I like video tutorial too because I'm more of visual person but some of the in famous youtubers feel, without offence, like endless talkative little spoiled brats!

embee
April 15th, 2016, 04:39 AM
I am happy to see this thread. I dislike video and much prefer text, so this information will help me too!

Groovy Granny
April 15th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Ha ha. I was going to mention Artic as well! :p Her tutorials go straight to the point, detailed enough without making a sadden bore or losing me and for my hair type are fantastically accurate. :o..... may I mention she is a great person too!

I like video tutorial too because I'm more of visual person but some of the in famous youtubers feel, without offence, like endless talkative little spoiled brats!

I am enjoying this thread too....and agree re: the chatter :agree:

Half the time I fast fwd the video until I see them start styling and hit the mute button :laugh:

teal
April 15th, 2016, 02:07 PM

Half the time I fast fwd the video until I see them start styling and hit the mute button :laugh:

Me too! :lol:

Groovy Granny
April 15th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Me too! :lol:
Glad it's not just me :o

Even the music annoys me :p

I prefer just the demo and subtitles; it doesn't need to be a whole production ....or a lecture :shrug:

Katia_k
April 15th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Thanks for mentioning my blog, Meteor! Katia, yes I do have lot of written instructions too, those come the most natural for me. And like Meteor said, I often write quite a bit of notes and observations too. Making videos is my least favourite way of making a tutorial, and I also don't enjoy watching video tutorials. I do have other than text based ones too, so you'll need to do some digging.

Here's a link to the category of my blog posts that are about hair styles, tutorials, and instructions, for easier browsing: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=11704&blogcategoryid=3445

My own hair is thinner than yours, but I bet some of them would work for you and when you learn to adjust to your own hair, a whole new world of possible styles will open up for you!

I already did a bit of poking around in your blog, during that...time when I was still at work and still just kept goofing off. :D Your instructions are great, and so specific, so thank you! I'm still just mastering the basics, but even then I suddenly have so many more fun things to try, and my hair....actually does them which amazes me.

And I'm super glad other people are benefitting from this thread too. Sometimes it's just nice to have a sheet of instructions to refrence as you work. I usually don't like trotting out the blind thing--people make it awkward. But you've all been nothing but fantastically helpful, and I'm happy my inquiry is beneficial to others. :)

Arctic
April 16th, 2016, 02:40 AM

Thank you! You are awesome too! I agree about the talkative hair video makers.

Me too! Videos are great in showing hand movements, but the personalities and chatter of many youtubers gets on my nerves. I have tried making few videos where I talk, but came to the conclusion I never want to post them. I can be long-winded and find myself in endless sidetracts, and the video footage easily ends up - for a simple hair style - over 30 minutes long. Then the editing of such footage with freeware editing programs - oh the horrors! I will save everyone from the misery and will not make videos where I talk.

I like writing instructions the most, but I think I like reading pictoral+written instructions from other's the most.

I already did a bit of poking around in your blog, during that...time when I was still at work and still just kept goofing off. :D Your instructions are great, and so specific, so thank you! I'm still just mastering the basics, but even then I suddenly have so many more fun things to try, and my hair....actually does them which amazes me.

And I'm super glad other people are benefitting from this thread too. Sometimes it's just nice to have a sheet of instructions to refrence as you work. I usually don't like trotting out the blind thing--people make it awkward. But you've all been nothing but fantastically helpful, and I'm happy my inquiry is beneficial to others. :)

Thanks, I'm very glad if they will be of use to you! Please don't hesitate to ask clarifications either.

I had a friend who was blind at social field college where we studied at, and I have never met more capable person in my life! When we went to wall climbing class, my friend climbed very high, where-as I was too nervous to even try. :) She made such an impression on me that I often remember her as an inspiration. Not as in inspiring blind person, but an inspiring whole person who was my friend. And from reading your posts you remind me of my friend, you have the same "can do" attitude. I don't see blindness as "lacking". Asking questions and help is ok for everyone - regardless of reasons behind the questions. We all need help and ideas sometimes and this is a very knowlegeable community with people who love to help out!

And yes this will be very helpful thread to many, me included. Well written instructions often make the most sense to my brain, the way my brain is wired.

I hope you'll soon have an arsenal of secure, comfortable, good looking, interesting and easy to make hair styles!

neko_kawaii
January 21st, 2018, 04:42 PM
Spirit Bun

1. make a regular braid.
2. insert a stick horizontally through the hair near the base of the braid
3. insert a stick through the hair near the top of your head
4. take the braid and wrap it in a figure eight style around the two sticks.
5. then wrap the remaining hair around the figure 8 and viola there is your bun.

From: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-684.html

neko_kawaii
January 21st, 2018, 07:06 PM
Center Held Braided Bun

Start with any braid (any kind), insert tool of choice (stick, fork, barrette) before the braid starts, wrap the braid behind the tool, wrap the tail tight behind the bun. Stays in place without pins. (Add a pin or another stick for security or appearance.)

Aka pinless braided bun

Katia_k
January 21st, 2018, 10:12 PM
Thanks. :) I was just wondering where in the world this thread had gone to...so thanks for digging it up. :)

neko_kawaii
January 21st, 2018, 10:17 PM
You are welcome! I came across it while looking for other lists of hair styles. I'm going to paste any good text tutorials I find here and then link to the individual posts from the directory I'm working on. This project is going to take a while!

If anyone wants to help either finding existing tutorial text or creating their own, check out the list of hair styles I'm working from over here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145221&p=3501421&viewfull=1#post3501421). For now you can assume that if there isn't a text tutorial for a style in this thread, one needs to be added.

embee
January 22nd, 2018, 05:39 AM
I've posted this one before, it's ajr's orchid bun:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21324&page=2&p=1241677&viewfull=1#post1241677

I quote:

| Note... at the beginning, the stick is NOT through any hair, it is just held above the pony.
|
| 1. Hold hair in unsecured pony with left hand.
| Right hand hold a hairstick horizontally above the pony (pointing at 9 o'clock).
| 2. Flip the pony up over the stick, then down on the left side of the head.
| (The tail is now hanging behind the stick on the left side.
| 3. Rotate the stick CW. I usually rotate until it points at 1-2 o'clock position.
| Don't hold the tail firmly when you do this, let it loosen if it wants
| (as long as it's still wrapped around the stick), otherwise it will be too tight.
| 4. Wrap tail loosely in the CCW direction around the whole thing,
| behind the stick. Tuck ends under.
| 5. Pick up the scalp hair and invert the stick like normal
| (From 1-2 o'clock to 7-8 o'clock position). Come up over the loop(s) you made in step 4.
| The stick will keep the loop(s) in place. You may have to loosen these loops
| (that you made in step 4) a bit if it feels too tight.
|

neko_kawaii
January 22nd, 2018, 06:58 PM
Short how-to for a Chinese bun is:
1. Make a ponytail and put a hair-stick through the base of it, between the elastic and your scalp.
2. Divide the ponytail into two equal halves (left and right).
3. Put the right halve over the right end of the hair-stick and the left halve over the left hair-stick.
4. Wrap the remaining length around the base of the bun (between hair-stick and head) simultaneously. One strand clockwise the other one counterclockwise, crossing over each other on top or beneath the base of the bun.

From: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54946&p=1239946&viewfull=1#post1239946

neko_kawaii
January 22nd, 2018, 07:04 PM
Short how-to for a Japanese bun is:
1. Make a ponytail and put a hair-stick through the base of it, between the elastic and your scalp.
2. Divide the ponytail into two equal halves (left and right).
3. Cross strands under the bun.
4. Wrap the remaining length around the base of the bun (between hair-stick and head) simultaneously. One strand clockwise the other one counterclockwise, crossing over each other on top or beneath the base of the bun.

neko_kawaii
January 22nd, 2018, 08:22 PM
Coronet Bun

This style requires enough hair for 1/4 of the hair to wrap around the head when braided. For most people, this starts at about hip length. It's a great style for heavy thick hair as it distributes weight well. It also gives the crown braid effect without actually Dutch braiding it or having hair long enough for a full coronet braid.

There are two ways to do this. In both, 3/4 of the hair gets braided and then bunned, while the remaining 1/4 is braided then pinned around the head and the ends wrapped around the bun.

Version 1:

Put hair in a medium to low ponytail.

Separate hair into two parts, one 1/4 thickness the other 3/4.

Braid the sections.

Bun the thicker braid.

Wrap the thinner braid around the head and pin it.

Wrap the end of the braid around the bun and pin the end securely.

Version 2:

With this version, you do not need a ponytail first.

Separate about 1 inch (+/- to desired thickness) thick section of hair from under one ear to the other on the back of the head. English braid the hair above that and bun it.

With the hair left loose, dutch braid starting from one ear going towards the other until there is no more loose hair and then braid to the ends. Wrap the braid and pin around the head, wrapping ends around bun.

From: https://web.archive.org/web/20080813144951/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=62

neko_kawaii
January 22nd, 2018, 08:44 PM
Dianyla braid - sectioned English Braid

Create the front section by using finger or tool (hair sticks are great) across your head from left to right: ear to ear, temple to temple, across the top of your head. The second and third sections are the remainder sectioned straight down the middle to nape. Braid as usual.

This braid creates a slightly different appearance from the front (that first deliberate section) and some with thick hair find it to be more comfortable than three random sections.

neko_kawaii
January 26th, 2018, 07:04 PM
French Braid:

A French braid starts with three small sections of hair near the crown of the head, which are then braided together toward the nape of the neck, gradually adding more hair to each section as it crosses in from the side into the center of the braid structure. Cross a section over the next nearest section when bringing it to the center. The final result incorporates all of the hair into a smoothly woven pattern over the scalp.

neko_kawaii
January 26th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Dutch Braid:

A Dutch braid starts with three small sections of hair near the crown of the head, which are then braided together toward the nape of the neck, gradually adding more hair to each section as it crosses in from the side into the center of the braid structure. Cross a section under the next nearest section when bringing it to the center. The final result incorporates all of the hair into a raised braid in the center.

neko_kawaii
January 26th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Edwardian Twist

A two-strand lace braid along the front hair line. It is helpful, but not essential to first section out the front fair that will be incorporated into the Edwardian Twist. This helps prevent stray hairs from being pulled in the wrong direction. Create a part, often a deep side part, but it can be anywhere and then create the section all the way behind the ear in the direction the twist will run. Select a smaller section of hair closest to the part, divide in two. Put one section forward and the other over the first and back, creating an "x". Select the next small section of hair and add it to the forward section, cross forward section over and back to become the back section. Repeat, adding new sections with each cross over and back.

Once the ear is reached, the two strands from the twist can be turned into a rope braid and used as an accent, or left unbraided and incorporated into a bun along with the rest of the hair.

neko_kawaii
January 26th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Equilibrium Bun

This bun is the most basic using the "doubled twist." Gather all hair into a ponytail, hold the tail against the scalp with one hand (first hand- usually left for the right handed), two fingers extended over the tail and the other hand pulling the hair up over the two fingers to form a loop over the fingers. Continue holding the tail with the second hand, use the fingers of the first hand to slowly pull the length of the tail while making a twisting motion like drawing circles with the fingers, stop once the end of the tail reaches the beginning of the gathered ponytail. You will have effectively halved the length of the hair, simultaneously twisting it together and hiding the ends inside the twist. This is the doubled twist. Wrap the double twist into a cinnamon bun, keeping at least one finger inside the loop at the end. That loop is used as either the entry or exit point of a hair stick or tine of a fork depending on its position.

neko_kawaii
January 26th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Everyday Bun

Gather all hair into a ponytail, hold the tail against the scalp with one hand (first hand- usually left for the right handed), four fingers* extended over the tail (thumb under) and the other hand pulling the hair up over the fingers to form a loop over the fingers. Continue holding the tail with the second hand, use the first hand to slowly pull the length of the tail while making a twisting motion like drawing circles with the fingers. Make only one twist. For longer lengths, you may be able to wrap the loose length around the base. The loop still on the first hand is then placed around the base, forming an outermost ring. Insert fork through the middle, exiting over the outermost coil on the bottom of the bun.

*fewer depending on length/thickness, may take some experimentation to find the right size for each individual.

Hypnotica describes this one:
Make a ponytail. Then you make a loop, twirl your hand, grab the coiled piece of hair and secure it. When you stab that twisted hair, stab it somewhere in the middle. The fork should exit over the bottom coil.

HeartofHaleth
January 27th, 2018, 05:51 AM
(hmm, I'll give this a go)

Amish braids

Part hair all the way down the middle into two sections. Take the upper third of one section and begin English braiding it, without adding any sections in. Braid for a few "turns", then take the middle third of hair and add it to the braid all at once. Continue English braiding for a few turns (or until the braid reaches the remaining third of hair on that side), and add in the bottom third of hair. Continue English braiding to the ends of your hair. Repeat on the other side. You should now have two braids on either side of your head, beginning near the top of your head and anchored at two separate points, creating two braid "loops" on each side (these "loops" should be laying mostly flat along your head). Now take the end of each braid and lace it back and forth between these four "loops" until the length is used up. Tie the ends together with ribbon or pin them down.

This is the style I remember, but it may not be 100% clear or accurate.

neko_kawaii
January 27th, 2018, 07:46 PM
Bow bun (with braid):

Make a ponytail held with an elastic on the crown (very high!). Take a second elastic and holding a section of the ponytail in a loop secure the loop at the base of the original ponytail with the remaining length falling toward your face. This loop will become the two loops of the bow, so take that into consideration when creating the size of the loop. Braid the remaining length coming out of the ponytail. Divide the loop into equal loops - one toward each ear, pull the braid back and between the two loops. Depending on your length you may need to get creative to accommodate the length of the braid. At the perfect length, you should be able to fold the tassel back under the braid and pin right behind the bow. A solution for longer lengths may be to pin behind the bow and unbraid to that location, rebraid as two braids and use those braids like two cut ends of a ribbon, pin in place or allow to hang loose. Place a couple pins on the underside of the bow loops to secure them in place.

neko_kawaii
January 27th, 2018, 08:14 PM
Bweeta's Buns

From Torinpaige: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq0QSgCdeKU

Make pigtails secured with elastics evenly placed center back. Divide each pigtail into two sections (one slightly larger, one smaller). Braid the smaller sections in rope braids and the larger sections in English braids. Take each rope braid and wrap it around the pigtail it belongs to and pin, cinnamon bun style. Take the English braid from one side and wrap it under and over to go around the opposite bun and then depending on your length, back around the bun it came from. This should create a figure 8. Tuck tassel away and pin. Take other English braid and wrap it under and over to go around the opposite bun and back around the bun it came from, tuck tassel and pin.

neko_kawaii
January 27th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Cameo Bun

The basic idea is that this bun is formed from two sections: The center is a twisted bun such as the cinnamon bun, the second section becomes a braided "frame" for the first.

Section from ear to ear going around the crown of the head. This forms top and bottom sections. Braid the top section. Temporarily clip the braid out of the way. Create a cinnamon bun with the bottom section, pin securely. Take the braid and wrap around the cinnamon bun, pin securely.

This can be done with any bun/braid combination.

neko_kawaii
January 27th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Figure-8 Bun

Gather ponytail, place a little higher than usual. Twist. Start a twisted bun with the loops going behind the first (Like a Bee Butt Bun). Take top coil and flip it down. Insert hair stick through top coil and exit through bottom of flipped coil. Add pins or second stick if other upper coils want to come loose.

neko_kawaii
January 27th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Infinity Bun

Gather ponytail, place off-center. Twist. Start a twisted bun with the loops going behind the first (Like a Bee Butt Bun). Take top coil and flip it to the opposite side. Insert hair stick through top coil and exit through far side of flipped coil. Add pins or second stick if other coils want to come loose.

neko_kawaii
January 27th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Fishtail Braid

Gather a hair into a ponytail and divide into two equal halves (main sections). From each half take a small (even) section and cross each small section over to the opposite main section. Repeat. Secure the end of the braid. If the small sections are not taken evenly, the braid will twist and the volumes in the main sections will not remain even.

neko_kawaii
January 27th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Ammonite Bun

Create a fishtail braid (use a ponytail base if you want the bun centered in a specific location). Wrap the braid in the same spiral pattern as a Cinnamon Bun. Hide tassel, pin securely.

Finished bun resembles the interior structure of an ammonite fossil.

teal
January 28th, 2018, 12:10 PM
This thread has been on my mind - I wanted to add a post of mine from another thread that helped me with securing buns in general. The context is for hair that has grown longer and buns that previously worked are now not sitting right because the added length has changed the game.

Also in terms of holding with a single stick - I ran into a problem where I'd put the stick in and it'd rotate down and wobble, no matter how tight the bun was (my hair is very, very slippery, escaping from buns even past mid-thigh length). Very annoying, the weight shifted off balance and it looked unintentionally haphazard to boot. For that, I inserted into the side of the bun and down to the scalp at 12 o'clock, rotate stick to be tangential to head, then (for a right-hand insert) angled towards 4 o'clock to grab some hair, then sharply towards 7 or 8 o'clock through the center of the bun, dip to scalp to grab a bit more hair, then up and out.

Let me know if that needs clarification. :flower:

neko_kawaii
February 9th, 2018, 05:37 PM
How to do a married-status woman's Joseon bun. (From http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8344&p=2527638&viewfull=1#post2527638)

Step 1 - Part your hair down the center. Gather the hair at the very base of the neck. This is important, because it affects how the final bun will set. I smooth out the hair as best I can using a boar bristle brush (which I suspect is fake, go figure). Unlike a single woman's (or maiden's) braided hairstyle, there are no braids (french or laced) on the sides.
Step 2 - Braid the ponytail into a simple 3-strand braid. Take it as far towards the ends as possible. It's perfectly fine if you want to use hair extensions or a parandi/paranda to thicken your braid. During the Joseon era, it was common to use horse hair to thicken and/or lengthen the braid. In fact, the more fancy ones would do a few rounds of the loop. You'll understand in the later steps. The key here is that a thicker braid makes for a more balanced bun. For all you super long-hairs, I envy you. This bun is right up your alley.
Step 3 - Loop the end of the braid up under the base of the ponytail. Use a soft elastic to attach it, or use the super wide, long ribbon or a scarf needed in the next step. If you have layers, like me, the elastic may pull loose some of your layers within the braid... which it did to me.
Step 4 - Wrap the chosen item around the attached area. This covers the work you did to attach it. It also adds needed thickness to insert the Binyeo, or hair stick.
Step 5 - Now add the hair stick, pushing it through over-under-over. The loops hold it in place. It's best to use one of your longer hair sticks. It's perfect if you have a decorative hair stick, such as with a carving on the end. Most Binyeo have a larger end, typically pushed right-through-left, since being right-handed seemed common.

In Korean dramas, I usually see a much longer part, but my hair doesn't seem to cooperate that way. I realize my bun looks very "left heavy," but I did my best. Without extra hair, such as a synthetic add-in, I wouldn't get much out of it. In Korean dramas they usually use wigs anyway, and as I mentioned earlier, it was common to use horse hair. Don't even get me started on the wigs a Gisaeng would use, haha. I may update this post with the photos since my ponytail did not want to behave. I realize it keeps pointing left.

Speaking of Gisaeng, there's a similarity to the base portion of their hairstyle. I'd noticed they'd loop the braid as I've shown here, but it goes around the head entirely, just before the wig is attached. The wig is attached over the line the braid makes. The braid becomes a headband of sorts. I'm unsure how they would secure the braid, but my guess is small pins, just as the wig would need to be pinned down.

For a nobleman's daughter (unmarried maiden), I'm still on the fence between the side braids being a laced braid or teased dutch/coral braid in Korean dramas. The initial image from the OP's example does not look like what I've seen used commonly. If anything, that looks like a lazy version.

But an update on how I've seen the daenggi tied: I realize now that the one in the image is simply tied either once or twice the common way (one end over the other twice, to knot). The difference is the decorative pieces are carefully placed to be displayed. The half-rabbit ear loop I've mentioned before is commonly used for larger tied ribbons, such as a Yanban's decorative headband, the strings of his Gat (horse-hair shaded hat), and all Hanbok.

Since no one else has more accurately detailed info, I hope that my posts have been helpful enough.

neko_kawaii
February 9th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Knot Bun (from http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62565&p=1408991&viewfull=1#post1408991)

I think there's no tutorials about it, because it really just is a knot
Like, do a ponytail (with or without elastic at the base), make a knot into the length near your head and pin it with whatever works for your hair (sticks, u-pins, screws, scrunchies, hairfork/comb etc.).
If there's excess length you can wrap it around the bun or do the other version of this bun, which is sometimes referred to as "comet-knot", but it's basically a knot-bun with unpinned length.
The length is just left hanging down, instead of wrapped around the bun. A great style to "shorten" the length of a ponytail which distributes the weight of it better and makes an ordinary ponytail look a bit more fancy.

neko_kawaii
February 11th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Disc Bun (Modified from http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125332)

1. Gather your hair in a ponytail at the height you want the bun to be. If you need to secure the pony do so, but if you can avoid it, I'd skip that step. (I'm right handed and I hold the pony with my left hand.)

2. While you hold the ponytail with one hand, divide it into 2 sections and use your fingers to keep them separated (I keep one section between ring and middle finger and the other between thumb and fore finger). Separate the sections properly by raking through them.

3. Take the first section, I always start from the one I have between ring and middle fingers. Fold that section over your ring finger and make a loop by wrapping the rest of the tail around the base of the ponytail (I don't make my loop tight, in fact I loosen it a bit manually before I start wrapping). I wrap in anti-clockwise direction. Tuck the ends carefully under the base of the ponytail/bun.

4. Repeat the same with the other section, only this time fold it over the thumb (again loosely) and wrap in other direction, that is, clockwise. Tuck ends carefully. I want to avoid any pinning, but my ends are blunt and will easily start poking out and unravel. I have found out I can avoid than with very careful tucking.

5. Secure with a stick, inserting through one finger held loop and exiting through the other.

neko_kawaii
February 11th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Three-Strand Disc Bun (From http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125332)

3-STRAND DISC BUN HOW TO:

1. Gather your hair in a ponytail at the height you want the bun to be. If you need to secure the pony do so, but if you can avoid it, I'd skip that step. (I'm right handed and I hold the pony with my left hand.)

2. While you hold the ponytail with one hand, divide it into 3 sections and use your fingers to keep them separated (I keep one section between ring and middle finger, one between middle and fore finger and the last between thumb and fore finger). Separate the sections properly by raking through them.

3. Take the first section, I always start from the one I have between ring and middle fingers but it's not that important where you start (also feel free to play with the wrapping directions). Fold that section over your ring finger and make a loop by wrapping the rest of the tail around the base of the ponytail (I don't make my loop tight, in fact I loosen it a bit manually before I start wrapping). I wrap in anti-clockwise direction. Tuck the ends carefully under the base of the ponytail/bun.

4. Repeat the same with the second section, which for me is the one between middle and fore finger. Fold it over middle finger and again form a loose loop. When I wrap anti-clockwise I guide this section under the first loop. Tuck the ends carefully.

5. Repeat the same with the last section, only this time fold it over the thumb (again loosely) and wrap in other direction, that is, clockwise. Tuck ends carefully. I want to avoid any pinning, but my ends are blunt and will easily start poking out and unravel. I have found out I can avoid than with very careful tucking.

6. Secure with 2 sticks. Both come out from the thumb-loop and go in from their own loops at the other side of the bun.

So everything is the same as in normal disc bun, but with one extra section/loop. I even tested this with 4 loops but haven't yet been able to make a sturdy bun that way. This one holds well, is comfortable, hair friendly, no twisting bun; and while it takes a bit longer than normal disc bun, is still a style I consider quick.

neko_kawaii
February 11th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Lazy Wrap Ponytail

Gather hair in a pony where you want the base of the ponytail. Section out one small section that will be used to wrap and secure the ponytail. The amount of this section will depend on your thickness. Continue holding all hair in the ponytail with one hand and extend 1-2 fingers from that hand, wrap section up in front of the fingers and then behind the pinkie of the same hand and then around the base of the ponytail until all length is used and ends are tucked in. The fingers have been holding a loop, insert stick, fork, ficcare, etc through one end of the loop and out the other using the fingers holding the loop as guides. Done.

neko_kawaii
February 11th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Link Bun

Origin thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123612&highlight=link

Gather hair into a ponytail, wrap all hair over and down behind two fingers, then under and around base of ponytail. Make a second loop over and down behind the same two fingers and then wrap the remaining length around the base. Insert stick through one loop and out the other.

neko_kawaii
February 11th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Link Link Bun

Constructed like a Link Bun (but keep linking), I found that the first loop needed to be smaller than the second and twisted or it slid off the end of the stick. Twist and wrap on index finger, wrap around base, wrap around index and middle fingers, wrap around base, wrap around middle finger, around base, around middle finger, and around base. Phew! Then insert stick through the second, third, and fourth loops (pull loops toward tip of middle finger and insert stick while removing finger) and out through the first. This probably wont work on thicker hair! You can twist the whole length through the wrapping but it isn't structurally necessary for more than the first loop.

neko_kawaii
February 11th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Log Roll

Gather ponytail and twist your hair a bit upwards into a "column", loop it around your thumb or a finger or two (whatever hold is most comfortable) and then wrap the rest of the hair around the column. Another way to describe this, the column is that distance between the base where the ponytail was initially gathered and the loop formed by holding the hair with thumb or finger(s), the length is wrapped around this section, so the distance between the base and the fingers will depend on your thickness and length. Tuck in the ends and secure with a Ficcare, other clip or sticks through (or over depending on tool) the loop held up and against the scalp hair.

Note: twisting not required for bun structure, substitute wrapping if preferred.

neko_kawaii
February 11th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Neoma Knot Bun

Neoma Knot Bun (from: https://imgur.com/a/70kZU)

1. Gather hair in a ponytail in the middle of your head. Do not secure it with an elastic.
2. Hold the ponytail with your left hand, fingers on the top of the pony, thumb underneath.
3. With your right hand, lift the ponytail over the top of your left hand and drape it over the palm side of your left hand.
4. With your right hand, bring the ponytail to the right til it reaches the donut hole in th eloop that you just created with your ponytail. Do not wrap the ponytail around another time.
5. Continue to hold the ponytail with your right hand.
6. Use the index and middle fingers of your left hand to pull the ponytail partway through the donut hole, only until you make a loop. Do not pull the pony all the way throug the donut hole.
7. Thi is where it gets a little tricky. . .At this point, you should be holding on to two loops: the donut hole and the second loop. Use your right hand to open the second loop just a little.
8. Put the thumb of your left hand through the donut hole to keep it open and put the pad of your thumb against your scalp.
9. Insert the index finger of your left hand into the second loop and rest the pad of your index finger on your scalp.
10. Use your right hand to wrap the remaining hair counter clockwise under the two loops, which will resemble a figure-8.
11. Insert a hairstick through the top loop, picking up scalp hairs along the way. Exit the bun through the bottom loop.

Viola! You are finished. It looks and sounds complicated, but it only takes me a few seconds, and it holds securely all day.

neko_kawaii
February 11th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Off Coil Bun

aka Tri-Coil Bun

A twisted bun, but instead of the twists wrapping around each other (cinnamon bun) or behind each other (bee butt bun), they are artfully arranged partially overlapped. Depending on thickness and dexterity, it may be necessary to pin each coil as it is created.

neko_kawaii
February 19th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Palmier Bun

Bparnell's original description:

Let me see if I can describe it. pony goes under two fingers and up and around them. Then making the shape of a figure eight around the thumb and back round the original two fingers over and over until the length is used up. tightly holding the hair around the two fingers slip it off and put the fork right into the middle of that first loop, under original pony and through the loop that came off of the thumb. I kinda squeeze the two loops together as I put on the fork. Neither arm ever goes over the head. That's the best I can do. I will work on camera and way to record a tutorial then post it........THE PALMIER "NO BUN" BUN.

Input from Wispe:

Okay, I had to try it out for myself because reasons. I think I got it! I can hold it with a fork but all mine obscure the loops, which kind of defeats the point IMO, so I tried and just managed it with a stick, but it's less secure this way. The way it wraps likes to stick out weird from a side view, but it is minimized if I twist the tail before wrapping around the fingers. I suspect if I had a french barrette or smaller slide I could pin that bump down right above the bun and it'd look fine, but I don't own any clips like that as they all just slip right out of my hair. I get better hold and less of a hump if I braid nearly down to the nape, then twist/bun the remainder and make sure the stick goes under/through the last stitch of the braid...

neko_kawaii
February 19th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Pansy Bun

Gather hair into ponytail, doubled twist once to create a loop, twist and wrap length around loop, wrap end behind and tightly for security, spread loop up and over wrapped length (will not surround wrapped length on the bottom), insert tool just inside loop, behind center, and out just inside loop on opposite side.

neko_kawaii
February 19th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Paracord Wrap (from http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117810)

Alright, so I’ve had a couple requests for an explanation on how to do hair wraps with paracord, so get ready for a bunch of pictures!

The wrap is really just a bunch of hitches in a row around the length of the hair. You can see this method on sailboats as ‘coxcombing’.

There are two main looks do doing this hair wrap, straight bar, and spiral. I’m doing the straight version in this tutorial, but if you want to do a spiral, don’t reverse the direction of each hitch, this will make sense once you’re actually doing it. Coxcombing is normally the spiral version. You can mix it up a little by alternating hitch directions at a different rate, like 3 left, 3 right, repeat, that would make a small zig zag pattern.

Paracord works well for this wrap, since it’s thin, strong, and smooth. For this tutorial I’m using some hemp rope I made because it shows up better in pictures, but you probably shouldn’t use something that thick (5mm) unless you have very thick hair all the way down your length. With a cord this big the hitches get unwieldy around a thin (<5” circumference) amount of hair. So use paracord at first, and once you get comfortable with it, you can try other things.

I would recommend starting with 10’ of paracord, the end result won’t be really long, but it’ll help you get an understanding of what the basic steps are. Plus, a really long wrap with paracord is stiff, and you likely won’t be used to having a stick growing from the back of your head.

You’ll probably want to start off by putting your hair in a ponytail, you won’t need to as you get better at doing this, but while you’re still learning, it’ll help a lot! I should have used one for this, as doing things with one hand and trying to take pictures with the other really messed me up.

TL;DR: Get 10’ of paracord and stick your hair in a ponytail.

Step 1: Find your ends

Step 2: Find the center of your rope. The little loop here is called a bight.

Step 3: Move your bight down the rope to form two loops. The bit my thumb is touching is the center of the rope.

Step 4: Fold the loops together, with the center of the rope wrapped around them.

Step 5: Put your hand in it like you would a ponytail holder. Keeping your pinky on the outside will help to keep the shape.

Step 6: Put that loop on your hair like a pony tail holder, and carefully tighten. Take note that the rest of the rope, which I’ll now call the tail, is pointing to the right.

Step 7: Make a loop, with the tail pointing to the left. Even if you do a spiral, the first hitch should be in the opposite direction of the ponytail loop to make it hold in place.

Step 8: Pull your hair through the loop like a ponytail.

Step 9: You’ll probably notice that now the two strands of the tail are wrapped up, rather than parallel. Make sure you have a little slack, and untwist them.

Step 10: Carefully tighten the hitch.

Step 11: If you want to do the straight bar, make a loop with the tail pointing the opposite direction of the last one.
If you want to do the spiral, make a loop with the tail pointing the same direction of the last one.

Step 12: Pull you hair through the loop like a ponytail, uncross the strands, carefully tighten the hitch.

Repeat Steps 11-12 a lot.

Really, a lot.

Keep going.

Step 13: You’ve reached your ends, they might be even, they might not be. You can either continue hitches until only the tiny nubs of the ends remain, or you can knot them. If they’re uneven, you’ll probably want to knot them.

Step 13b: Wrap the ends around your hair so they’re on the underside of your wrap. Tie them in an overhand knot.

Step 13c: Make another overhand knot, forming a reef knot.

Step 13d: Twist the ends so they point vertically and are less likely to be seen.

Step 14: All done! Make sure to check in the mirror and carefully form the wrap into a straight line, they can get a little wavy. See my mess up at the bottom? I did two hitches in a row with tails to the left.

Remember how I warned you about stiffness?

If you get a tangle in your hair, try adding slack to the loop, moving it upward and out of the way. Then you can detangle and continue hitching.

neko_kawaii
February 19th, 2018, 06:26 PM
Paranda

Habioku's instructions (adapted from http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490)

How to make a yarn paranda:
Choose material similar or contrasting to your hair color.

Number of strands depends on your hair thickness and your preference.

Measure the length of your ponytail and add about 10-15cm/4-6inches to this length; your wool strands have to be twice as long as this.

I use my table plate (90cm/35inches) to wrap the wool around (number have to be divisible by three), then I cut the strands on one end, so I get 180cm/70inch long strands (if you have no suitable item to wrap the wool around, you can simply measure the size you need)

Divide your strands in 3 equal parts and fold them in half.

Use the loop ends to knot all 3 strands together.

You can decorate the ends with tassels (traditional), pearls or other stuff; or just leave it like this if you want to wear them in buns (like I do).

How to use paranda:

I place the joint of the Paranda in the back of my neck, one strand over each shoulder and one down my back.

I part my hair, add the left Paranda strand to the left strand of my hair and the right Paranda strand to the right strand of my hair.

The joint of the Paranda is now right beneath the middle strand. Begin normal braiding (every strand of hair is thickened by the Paranda).

I finish the braid by wrapping 2-3 single wool strand around the braid and tie them to 2-3 other wool strands.

neko_kawaii
February 19th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Pha Bun

Gather hair in ponytail, place hair stick or small fork along left side of ponytail, and pulling ponytail to the left over the stick twist the stick so that the tip of the stick is not pointing straight up. Holding stick with right hand, twist and wrap length around and behind the stick until ends are tucked in, lift top of stick straight up carefully inserting stick close to scalp and behind wrapped length and then out through the bottom loop.

neko_kawaii
February 19th, 2018, 07:55 PM
Puffed Not-ilus

From Neoma's Nautilus tutorial (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137377&p=3208325&viewfull=1#post3208325):
Gather your hair into a ponytail (do not secure with an elastic). Hold the ponytail with your left hand.
Take your right hand and extend 1, 2, 3, or 4 fingers. 1 if you have short hair, 4 if you have very long hair, and 2 or 3 if your hair is something inbetween.
Place the extended fingers of your right hand below the gathered ponytail. Your palm should face down.
With your left hand, guide your hair over the extended fingers and around them, so that it loops around your fingers and points back up (the tail should be to the left of the base of your ponytail).
Don't let go of the tail with your left hand, but hold it gently so that it can move.
Bend the fingers of your right hand so grasp the hair. Your fingers will be at your palm.
Turn your right hand so that the knuckles move along the base of the ponytail and your palm faces forward, and straighten your fingers. You have now made a loop, which you will keep on the fingers of your right hand.
With your left hand, begin wrapping the length of your hair. If you are looking at the back of your head, it will go clockwise. Continue wrapping until you get to the ends.
With your right hand, spread the loop a bit if needed, add your thumb (entering the loop from the same side as your fingers), and slide the loop over the length that you just wrapped. Do not twist it again at this step.

Modification:
Grab the center of the bun, the part that was wrapped and lift it up and over the loop toward the crown.
Secure with a fork through the pulled wrap at the top and out through the bottom of the loop.

neko_kawaii
February 19th, 2018, 08:14 PM
Rag curls

Start with damp hair. Rags can vary in size depending on desired outcome and hair length. They need to be long enough to tie after wrapping.

Position a rag about 1 inch from the bottom of a section of hair. Gently wind the tail of the hair around the rag and use your fingers to hold the tail in place as you roll the rag up toward your head, until the hair winding around it holds it in place. Roll it all the way up to your head and tie a square knot in it.

A useful modification to the traditional rag curl uses a sharpie or other fat pen with a clip. Slip end of rag behind pen clip leaving about an inch sticking out of the clip at the top and rag draped down the length of the pen. Begin wrapping hair around pen and rag. When wrapped all the way up (or as high as you want) slide the end of the rag out of the clip and slide the hair off the pen. Tie the two ends of the rag together in a square knot.

Once set, carefully untie the rags and unwrap the hair. Gently separate sections into smaller sections.

neko_kawaii
February 19th, 2018, 08:24 PM
Rope Braid

Gather hair in a ponytail (to keep this braid centered it may be easiest to secure with an elastic before braiding) and divide in two sections. Twist each section independently in the same direction and then twist them together in the opposite direction of the independent twist. This is a traditional rope making method. The opposing twists keep the two strands together while maintaining visually distinct twisted strands. If the two sections are not distinguishable then there is an error in the twisting, likely the two sections are being twisted together in the same direction of the independent twists.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Rose Bun

This is a rope braid that is coiled into a cinnamon bun and has a very distinct appearance.

Rope Braid

Gather hair in a ponytail (to keep this braid centered it may be easiest to secure with an elastic before braiding) and divide in two sections. Twist each section independently in the same direction and then twist them together in the opposite direction of the independent twist. This is a traditional rope making method. The opposing twists keep the two strands together while maintaining visually distinct twisted strands. If the two sections are not distinguishable then there is an error in the twisting, likely the two sections are being twisted together in the same direction of the independent twists.

Rose Bun
Start twisting the rope braid at the base in the same direction as the final twist (otherwise you will untwist the braid). As it twists, start wrapping it around the base in a circle shape. Pin loops down as you go with pins. Can be held by other methods such as claws, hairsticks and forks.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 09:35 AM
Seashell Bun (aka Moezland bun)

from: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65935
1. Make a mid-high ponytail. Do not secure.
2. Coil your hair up (it doesn’t have to be coiled all the way to the ends)
3. Take two fingers from your right hand and put them underneath your long coil
4. Take the coil and wrap it behind your fingers
5. Wrap again, but this time wrap your hair around just your index finger
6. Flip to the left and slide your fingers out slowly
7. If your tail sticks out, tuck it underneath the top right side of the bun. Insert your hair stick beginning at the top right, catch hair in the middle, and poke out of the left side coil.

Voila! Beautiful seashell bun!

Tips:
~This bun is much more secure if you wear it with two sticks. I like to put mine in an X shape
~For longer hair, this bun works if you first wrap it around 4 fingers, and then wrap it between 2 fingers instead of the 2 and then the 1
~Weaving your hair sticks through the bun helps secure it too
~This bun can also be secured with hair pins, Amish pins, spin pins or hair screws, claw clips, beak clips, and Ficcares. Sticks are my personal favorite way to secure it though. However, if the sticks don't work for you, you can try a number of different ways to secure it

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Serpentine Medusa Wiggle Bun

Like the mythical Medusa, this bun is made up of multiple snake-like coils.

Gather hair into a ponytail and secure with a hair tie. Section as many times as you desire for appearance, thickness, and length. Tightly twist each section until it coils upon itself and pin. Pin each twisted section next to each other until all hair is coiled and pinned.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Brioche Bun

Gather hair into a ponytail, wrap hair around hand once and then around the base of the ponytail until it reaches the fingers sticking out of the loop. Using fingers grasp length and pull through loop fully to form a knot. Wrap remaining length behind knot. Flip knot down, separating it from the wrapped length. Secure with two sticks or fork.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Seubian Knot

Gather hair into a ponytail, twist and wrap around hand once and then around the base of the ponytail until it reaches the fingers sticking out of the loop. Using fingers grasp length and pull through partially for form a loop sticking out of a knot. Wrap remaining length behind knot and secure with pins, stick, fork, etc.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Shell's Everyday Bun

Gather hair into a ponytail and wrap around two fingers once (creating loop 1) and then around the base of the ponytail until it reaches the fingers sticking out of loop 1. Grasp length between two fingers, insert one finger from free hand in loop 1 and pull opposite the fingers pulling the length part way through loop 1 to create a small loop 2. Switch fingers so that loop 2 is held by thumb and loop 1 by a finger. Wrap remaining length behind knot. Insert stick through one loop and out the other.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Sock Bun

If using an actual sock, the common recommendation is ankle or mid-shin length. Cut the toe off the sock. If the material of the sock unravels darn the edges or choose another. A sock close in color to your hair color will blend in best. For less added volume, use a ring of pantyhose.
Put your hair in a ponytail, secure with elastic. Roll up the sock so that it forms a ring and slip it over the ponytail. Pull it to the base of the ponytail so that all of the hair is gathered inside of it.

Pull the sock to the ends of your hair as close to the ends as you can. Tuck the hair around the side and into the center. Roll the sock down. Hold the ends of your hair at the center of the sock and roll the fabric down towards the base of the ponytail. The hair will gather in a ring around the sock. Rotate the sock as you roll it down so that it is completely covered by your hair.

When the sock has reached the base of the ponytail, adjust the edges so that none of the sock can be seen through your hair. Use bobby pins to secure the bun to your scalp if it feels loose or moves around at all.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Spidermom's Bun

Gather hair into a ponytail. Wrap length up over two fingers and down twice to create two loops. Wrap remaining length behind. Insert stick through one loop, behind center, and out other loop. Hair can be twisted while forming bun, but it is not necessary. If no twisting is used, the top layer of hair can be gently spread across the bun for a sleek look.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Spock Bun

Named for the starting position of the holding hand: pinky and ring fingers together, middle and index fingers together, and thumb extended: The Vulcan salute. "Live long and prosper."

Gather hair in a ponytail, form the Vulcan salute with one hand and place hand so ponytail emerges in V between fingers, wrap hair down over lower fingers, around and up again, then start as if wrapping around the base of the ponytail. When you reach the thumb, make sure thumb catches hair to hold a loop extended from the base. Maintain hold and continue wrapping around base. Insert fork through first loop held by fingers and out through loop held by thumb.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Vortex Bun

A multi strand cinnamon bun. Gather hair into a ponytail and secure with a hair tie. Create sections, the number depends on your thickness. Twist one section and wrap 1/2 turn around ponytail base and pin. Twist next section outside the first, not quite as far and pin. Continue until all sections have started. Pick up first section and wrap outside bun that has already formed until you reach the last pinned portion of the last section. Continue with each section, twisting and pinning around the exterior of the pinned bun until all length is bunned.

Some with thicker hair find this sectioning allows for better distribution that a single section cinnamon bun. Resulting bun is also flatter than a cinnamon bun.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Woven Bun

From: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5502
What you need:

Metal-free hair band
2 hairsticks
Hair pins (whatever you usually use to pin your hair will do)

Instructions:

Ponytail your hair and fasten with a metal-free hair band.
Place the 2 sticks in an X shape (the sticks need to form 90° angles) behind the hair band in your hair.
We will name the 4 ends of the shape “X” formed by the sticks like this: upper-left is A, lower-left is B, lower-right is C and upper-right is D. The X in the ‘diagram’ represents the 2 sticks.

AOOOD
OOXOO
BOOOC

Now, divide your hair in 4 equal-sized sections by first parting the ponytail in a vertical way, like this: l; then parting both halfs horizontally, like this: __. Once you have finished the style, you will see a plus-shape (+) in your bun.
Number the strands: upper-left is 1, lower-left is 2, lower-right is 3, upper-left is 4.

1OlO4
-------
2OlO3

Now we will start the weaving. Take strand 1 (upper-left) and bring it UNDER point A (again, upper-left), OVER point B, UNDER point C, OVER point D, … Repeat this alternating under-over-movement until you run out of hair. Tuck the ends in and pin your first strand in place.
Pick up strand 2. Bring it under B, over C, under D, over A, … Tuck and pin your second strand in place.
Now pick up strand 3. Bring it under C, over D, under A, over B, … Tuck and pin the third strand in place.
Pick up your last strand. Bring it under D, over A, under B, over C, … Tuck and pin the final strand in place.
Done! Admire your work. Take a pic

So, the general pattern is: bring the strand under the nearest stick-end (1A, 2B, 3C, 4D), over the next, under-over-under-over-under-over-…
If the instructions don't seem to make any sense at first, I suggest you just try it out. When I first saw the original ones, I was a bit confused, but as soon as I tried it, the pieces fell into place

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Bump - how to add volume to the front without a bump-it

From Nightshade:
Although being a member of the Tight-Bunned Mean Ladies Club is fun, sometimes a gentler, softer look is wanted.

This has been annoying me for awhile, that if I get a bit of lift at the front of my hair, the updo tends to be loose enough that it just pulls it flat again with the weight. So after some experimentation, I think I've struck on a method to get that lift while still meeting my must-have criteria:

When finished the updo must have-

No additional bobby pins, clips, rats/etc. Just one fork/stick.
Needed to be fast and easy
No product

Step 1- Make a half-up:
Taking a section of hair at the crown of the head, I made a half-up and held the mini-ponytail at the top of the back of my head. Then I gave it a few twists (still holding it).

Then I pushed the twist up a bit, until a had a more soft lifted look at the front (don't worry if it looks a bit malformed at this stage, we'll fix that later).

To secure this (just for a bit) get either a bobby pin or a tiny claw clip. Secure the twist in the back.

Step 2- Make a Bun
I've only tried this with buns that start with a twisted rope, such as a cinnabun or a Gibraltar bun, but I imagine it would work well for other variations as well. Being careful not to mess up the bobby pin too much, I gather all of the hair (halfup tail included) into a ponytail just below the point where the bobby pin is, and twist. Then make a bun and secure it with a stick, leaving the bobby pin/clip in place.

Step 3- Remove the Pin & Adjust Top/Front of Updo
Take the pin out, and the uber-poof you had going is will relax a bit. Then, with your fingers, you can adust the top of the updo so the lift is more uniform. The halfup twist will stay in the same location at the back of your head, so unlike just a loose bun, it won't slouch backwards and pull your hair tight to your skull.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 07:02 PM
KarenLynn (KL) Knot Bun

From: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18183
You make a loop around two fingers, then wrap the length all the way clockwise around the base of loop, and then pull the length part way through forming a loop. Insert stick in one loop and out the other. Wrap the length around behind the stick.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Celtic Knot Bun

With the celtic knot, you wrap the hair around two fingers and then pull only PART of the length through, so you end up with three loops: One from wrapping hair around two fingers, second one pulled part through the first loop, and the third from wrapping around the base. Wrap length behind as one hand holds these three loops. Secure with fork through first two loops and out third, or two hair sticks, one each through upper loops and both out third at bottom.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Pretzel Bun

Gather hair into a ponytail, wrap up over hand and down, then around base clockwise, twice (may vary with length/thickness), then pull remaining length through loop around hand, pull length up and tuck behind bun. Secure on the sides with claw clips.

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Scarf Bun

From: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=102628
STEP 1.
-Start with making a pony. It doesn't have to be so high up if you don't want it to.
-Tie a little scarf somewhere in the middle of your pony's length. Make sure that it ties all the layers together. The knot should face forward (facing your forehead)

Wrap the length of the bottom half of the ponytail around the scarf, near the knot. Then roll the scarf and hair up the ponytail, towards your head. All the length should now be wrapped like a tube around the scarf.

STEP 2
When everything is rolled up, tie the ends of the scarf around behind the bun to secure it. Then tuck the ends of the scarf round inside the ends of the 'tube' of rolled hair.

STEP 3
-place Amish/bobby pins to combine two parts of the roll at the bottom. It doesn't have to be perfect.
-"spread" it well and adjust anything that might stick out.
-it should resemble a sock bun at this point

STEP 4
-either tie a decorative scarf/wide band/ribbon around it or use a scrunchie to hide any imperfections.
And you're ready to go!

*Thank you to MusicalSpoons for contributions to this post! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145221&p=3518906&viewfull=1#post3518906

Lady Godiva
March 17th, 2024, 11:59 AM
In my original Log Roll tutorial from ages ago (2005/06/07?) at the old forums, there was no initial twisting as described here and in the YouTube video. I simply did just one initial twist of my hair at the nape, twisting the hair against itself and then moving onto the repeated wraps, also never twisted. The benefit is that multiple twists in one direction only become something that has to be untwisted after dropping the Log Roll (at least for super long hair), while twisting hair just one time against itself literally undoes all twisting upon dropping the Log Roll. As a related aside, this is why I never do rope braids; all that untwisting is a heck of a task to remove. Maybe it's my very fine hair, but just one twist in the Log Roll, and boom, the whole thing it nearly already detangled.