PDA

View Full Version : 5-strand braid folding in on itself?

Chocowalnut
April 12th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Idk if anyone will understand what I mean by this but I need some help. I did my first 5-strand braid today. It took a few tries but I worked out how to do it and I managed a decent one. The only problem is the final product wont stay as a flat braid; it kind of folds in from both sides to make like a 3-D triangle braid lol. It actually takes away from how the braid is supposed to look. I tried flattening it out but it just folds back in. Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this or what I did wrong?

Zesty
April 12th, 2016, 07:24 PM
I just tug on the sections and generally loosen the braid so that it lays flat. It tends to fold when you've braided relatively tightly. You might need to slide the hair tie down a little to get it looser. I don't know if that will help, but that's how I solved the problem, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Chocowalnut
April 12th, 2016, 07:32 PM
I just tug on the sections and generally loosen the braid so that it lays flat. It tends to fold when you've braided relatively tightly. You might need to slide the hair tie down a little to get it looser. I don't know if that will help, but that's how I solved the problem, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Ok yes that fixed it, thank you! I tried to do that and it stayed the same but I guess I just wasn't loosening it enough. Had to loosen it quite a bit for it to lay flat. Thanks :)

Entangled
April 12th, 2016, 09:22 PM
My sister's hair does that when I try a five strand! I just attributed it to her hair being really thick, and figure tension may have affected it. Trial and error, I guess?

Chocowalnut
April 13th, 2016, 04:57 PM
My sister's hair does that when I try a five strand! I just attributed it to her hair being really thick, and figure tension may have affected it. Trial and error, I guess?

Well my hair's pretty thin/fine, but I think it was just too tight. I did one again today and tried to keep and loose and did not have a problem. So maybe try to keep it loose when you do her hair.