PDA

View Full Version : Bunning hair for sleeping

Stepo_NiNha
April 12th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Hi everyone,

As my hair is getting longer (some ends are touching waist), it starts to be uncomfartable to sleep with my hair loose as I toss and turn at night like crazy :D

I bunned my hair yesterday for bedtime. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong because I woke up with some frizz.

I put my head upside down and twisted the whole hair on top of head to create the bun. Then, I tied it with 2 scrunchies: a bigger one (I wrapped twice), and a smaller one over the bigger one ( I just put it there and din't wrap). I was wearing this type of scrunchy with no metal and did it carefully not to pull it too much (sorry image too big). It was really comfortable; I loved it (so I think alopecia from pulling hair wouldnt be a problem because it was not really tight). The thing is: I want to do it again but I'm afraid it might lead to breakage ( I have very fine hair with some old damage). Do you recommend the 2 scrunchies? Is this sort of frizz normal? I don't like sticks or forks, they don't make me feel comfortable. Braids are also uncomfortable to sleep ( I just braid my hair during the day).

Thanks,:o

http://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-photo-pink-soft-hair-scrunchy-isolated-on-white-84611791.jpg

lithostoic
April 12th, 2016, 07:29 AM
Frizz is definitely normal. I used to use this method when I was a scene kid to get more volume.

missrandie
April 12th, 2016, 08:21 AM
What kind of pillowcase do you use? A silk material or polyester satin material would cause less frizz, whether as a pillowcase or a sleep cap.

Also, while those scrunchies should be alright, there are some silky/satiny ones that are SD that would be less likely to damage your fragile ends.

catasa
April 12th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I use a silk scrunchie, to hold a loose bun or a loose ponytail with a half-pull-through, on the top of my head. Since it is quite loose it doesnīt really stay completely put the whole night, but it is usually at least somewhat contained by morning. I think a silk scrunchie would probably be more gentle and less frizz-provoking than the type you used in the long run (that said, I still mostly canīt wear second-day hair loose, that happens only if I was lucky enough to get the moisture balance exactly right in my last wash, and if I did I find that my hair can take quite a lot of handling/bunning without frizzing up).

I also second the silk pillow case, this made a huge difference for me!

genlilliana
April 12th, 2016, 08:55 AM
I use a satin scrunchie to hold my hair at night and keep it as loose as possible without the bun falling out...I also purchased 2 satin pillowcases and sleep on those. I got both tips from the ladies at this site and they work! I have much less frizz, fly-aways and tangles than before.

Anya15
April 12th, 2016, 09:30 AM
I used satin scrunchies for a very long time to hold my buns... But I began to notice that whenever I would remove the scrunchies, there would be breakage. Probably from tossing and turning at night. So now I make a cinnabun at the top of my head and secure it with a claw clip on the front side. Absolutely no breakage! :D

Horrorpops
April 12th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I find a single French braid works better than a bun for me as I sleep on my side and any bun ribs against the pillow and unravels and causes frizz. Have you tried one single braid if you're a side sleeper vs two braids if you sleep on your back? I think picking the correct number can help a lot with comfort. :)

Your elastics look good and hair safe :) and it sounds like you've got some good ideas on this thread for frizz taming too!

Stepo_NiNha
April 12th, 2016, 10:17 AM
I find a single French braid works better than a bun for me as I sleep on my side and any bun ribs against the pillow and unravels and causes frizz. Have you tried one single braid if you're a side sleeper vs two braids if you sleep on your back? I think picking the correct number can help a lot with comfort. :)

Your elastics look good and hair safe :) and it sounds like you've got some good ideas on this thread for frizz taming too!

Thank you for the reply :)

Actually, I tried the 2 braids and side braid but I still find it uncomfortable. Last night I had a pleasant night lol :o (while sleeping;)) because the bun was really comfortable, the only problem was the frizzy look. But maybe I'll try the braids again so that I can have more options for bedtime :)

Good to know the elastics are not that harmful :o

Stepo_NiNha
April 12th, 2016, 10:25 AM
I used satin scrunchies for a very long time to hold my buns... But I began to notice that whenever I would remove the scrunchies, there would be breakage. Probably from tossing and turning at night. So now I make a cinnabun at the top of my head and secure it with a claw clip on the front side. Absolutely no breakage! :D

Hi Anou,

Thank you for replying

I already tried the claw clips (I wear them when I'm at home during the day and evening) but they don't hold quite well on my hair when I'm sleeping. I think I'll try to alternate with braids (though I'm not used to sleep with the braids because I always find them below me and I pull them while turning).

:)

Stepo_NiNha
April 12th, 2016, 10:30 AM
I use a satin scrunchie to hold my hair at night and keep it as loose as possible without the bun falling out...I also purchased 2 satin pillowcases and sleep on those. I got both tips from the ladies at this site and they work! I have much less frizz, fly-aways and tangles than before.

Hi,

Yes, I'll see about the satin scrunchies, maybe I should buy 2 of those silky scrunchies just for sleeping and wake up with less frizz :)

Stepo_NiNha
April 12th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Frizz is definitely normal. I used to use this method when I was a scene kid to get more volume.

Hi lithostoic,

Yeah the volume I get is actually the best thing! :)

I have ii hair but gets i when weighed down so bunning this way even with some frizz at the end could be a good trick for some bad hair days ;)

Stepo_NiNha
April 12th, 2016, 10:42 AM
What kind of pillowcase do you use? A silk material or polyester satin material would cause less frizz, whether as a pillowcase or a sleep cap.

Also, while those scrunchies should be alright, there are some silky/satiny ones that are SD that would be less:eek: likely to damage your fragile ends.

Hi Missrandie,

Yes, I've been thinking about it and satin/silky scrunchies definitely would make my hair less frizzy so I think I'll buy them. But luckily these ones I already have are not that bad and this was my biggest fear :)

As far as pillowcases, they are not satin though; but I didn't move home yet, I'll do it in some months ;) Still on mum's place and she won't change the pillowcases :o

catasa
April 13th, 2016, 12:59 AM
As for braiding and sleep comfort; for a while I did a top-of-the-head braid for sleeping, i e I bent over so that my hair was hanging towards the floor and braided it "upside down" at the top of my head. Looked rather funny when standing up but worked well for sleeping comfortably. I stopped because my hair really donīt go well with braiding, it destroys my natural pattern and makes it very frizzy. But it could maybe work for you if you like to sleep with braids!

Horrorpops
April 13th, 2016, 01:22 AM
Thank you for the reply :)

Actually, I tried the 2 braids and side braid but I still find it uncomfortable. Last night I had a pleasant night lol :o (while sleeping;)) because the bun was really comfortable, the only problem was the frizzy look. But maybe I'll try the braids again so that I can have more options for bedtime :)

Good to know the elastics are not that harmful :o

Oh that's a shame, maybe they're just not for you!I wonder what the difference is between afraid and a bun while you sleep - the placement, the tightness? Regardless maybe a silk pillow case or little sleep cap would be the best option to reduce frizz while letting you keep your hair banned for sleep. :)

Simsy
April 13th, 2016, 02:32 AM
Hi everyone,

As my hair is getting longer (some ends are touching waist), it starts to be uncomfartable to sleep with my hair loose as I toss and turn at night like crazy :D

I bunned my hair yesterday for bedtime. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong because I woke up with some frizz.

I put my head upside down and twisted the whole hair on top of head to create the bun. Then, I tied it with 2 scrunchies: a bigger one (I wrapped twice), and a smaller one over the bigger one ( I just put it there and din't wrap). I was wearing this type of scrunchy with no metal and did it carefully not to pull it too much (sorry image too big). It was really comfortable; I loved it (so I think alopecia from pulling hair wouldnt be a problem because it was not really tight). The thing is: I want to do it again but I'm afraid it might lead to breakage ( I have very fine hair with some old damage). Do you recommend the 2 scrunchies? Is this sort of frizz normal? I don't like sticks or forks, they don't make me feel comfortable. Braids are also uncomfortable to sleep ( I just braid my hair during the day).

Thanks,:o

I use a low sideways Nautalis bun with a short, plain fork running parallel with my spine. I sleep on my side mostly, so I find it very comfortable to sleep with and the Mop is mostly presentable come morning. I'm also an active sleeper and I have been known to dismantle buns or loose braids overnight.

Just a quick thought, if your hair isn't normally pulled up, it can result in more frizz as the strands are not used to being pulled in that direction.

browneyedsusan
April 14th, 2016, 06:14 AM
I sleep with my hair top-knotted every night. My ends stay nicer. With braids, the ends get all frizzy and tangled, no matter how low I place the ties.

Stepo_NiNha
April 14th, 2016, 06:37 AM
Thank you :)

browneyedsusan
April 14th, 2016, 07:45 AM
You'll just have to mess around with sleep styles until you find one that works. Probably nothing will be perfect, but it's better than waking up with a bird's nest on your head! :)
I put the topknot right on top, so I'm not laying on it, and it gets anchored with an elastic. (I roll all over the bed and my slippy hair throws sticks, pins, and hairscrews hither and yon!) Some people prefer braids, others prefer sleep caps, some can get by with a satin pillow case. I thrash around too much in the night, and a topknot works best for me. If you like a bun, wear a bun! :) Maybe you can stick a satin cap or buff (http://buffusa.com/)over it to keep it from rubbing against the bedding?

Stepo_NiNha
April 14th, 2016, 08:20 AM
You'll just have to mess around with sleep styles until you find one that works. Probably nothing will be perfect, but it's better than waking up with a bird's nest on your head! :)
I put the topknot right on top, so I'm not laying on it, and it gets anchored with an elastic. (I roll all over the bed and my slippy hair throws sticks, pins, and hairscrews hither and yon!) Some people prefer braids, others prefer sleep caps, some can get by with a satin pillow case. I thrash around too much in the night, and a topknot works best for me. If you like a bun, wear a bun! :) Maybe you can stick a satin cap or buff (http://buffusa.com/)over it to keep it from rubbing against the bedding?

A bun is definitely my favourite hair style for sleeping and I also do the topknot with the elastic.

Last night was the 3rd night sleeping in this type of bun and the frizz seems to be disappearing. Maybe my hair is getting used to this new position?
I hope so !! ;)

And the ends are protected and it's the best for me :)

Thank you guys for all tips!

PixieP
April 14th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I use a bun at the top of my head for sleeping, up until a week ago I made a bantu-type bun, but after reading here about what twisting hair in a bun does, and looking at all the wispies and short strands I have around my hairline, I figured there might be a connection there, so I'm trying out other types of buns. I secure them with a silky schruncie type tie. I'm a restless sleeper, so I rotate around from side, back, stomach and everything in between, so I need a bun that is secure or else it'll just unravel.

gthlvrmx
April 14th, 2016, 02:01 PM
I seem to say this many times, but have you tried spin pins for your sleep bun? You just screw it into your bun and it holds pretty comfortably. It works for me and there is less to worry about with the whole cotton material damaging the hair (or at least taking out moisture from my hair, even if it's minimal).

Stepo_NiNha
April 14th, 2016, 02:20 PM
I seem to say this many times, but have you tried spin pins for your sleep bun? You just screw it into your bun and it holds pretty comfortably. It works for me and there is less to worry about with the whole cotton material damaging the hair (or at least taking out moisture from my hair, even if it's minimal).

Thats a good idea and I'll also try it
My hair is getting used to the bun so its not frizzing as much as in the 1st day but it seems i still lose some moisture.

PixieP
April 14th, 2016, 02:33 PM

This is one of the things I'm planning on trying :)

Stepo_NiNha
April 15th, 2016, 03:27 AM
This is one of the things I'm planning on trying :)

Yep and I'll also try te silky srunchies as you suggested.

enting
April 17th, 2016, 03:24 AM
I like sleeping with a topknot secured with either spin pins or hair pins. I'm finding that hair pins actually pull less in my hair than the spin pins do. I do get a bit frizzy and wispy around the hairline and a few inches out, but the hair that was bunned stays rather nice. If the hair in the actual bun is getting frizzy, you could wear a bun cover to sleep. Otherwise, the other suggestions of a satin pillowcase or sleep cap sound excellent. Good luck in trying different things out!

reilly0167
April 17th, 2016, 07:12 AM
I sleep with high top knot, held by a stick I made from a chopstick. I'm trying not to use elastics all the time. I am just a tad past bsl(yea), any who I made the stick shorter about three inches, that way it doesn't get in the way and interrupt sleep and its very comfortable.

reilly0167
April 17th, 2016, 07:18 AM
http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/reilly0167/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160417_091719_zpsnmpehrt0.jpg.html?filters[user]=144633773&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
Here's is what use at night.

Hailwidis
April 18th, 2016, 09:04 AM
So, I've reached an impasse in my experimentation.
- braiding makes my hair tangly, my ends crunchy, and I don't really like braid waves. But sleeping with a braid is comfortable.
- rope braiding is the same as braiding, though maybe not quite as bad. Also comfortable.
- a high bun gives me the best results in terms of waves and tangle (almost perfect) but gives me terrible scalp ache randomly. Not the most comfortable when sleeping either, as it loosens and I can feel it when I turn.

Basically, there are pros and cons for each, and none is a miracle solution. I'm wondering what to do next.

Stepo_NiNha
April 18th, 2016, 10:50 AM
- braiding makes my hair tangly, my ends crunchy, and I don't really like braid waves. But sleeping with a braid is comfortable.
- rope braiding is the same as braiding, though maybe not quite as bad. Also comfortable.
- a high bun gives me the best results in terms of waves and tangle (almost perfect) but gives me terrible scalp ache randomly. Not the most comfortable when sleeping either, as it loosens and I can feel it when I turn.

Basically, there are pros and cons for each, and none is a miracle solution. I'm wondering what to do next.

Thats it. But still is better than loose hair, especially if your hair is prone to breakage.

enting
April 20th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Hailwidis, what about a banded ponytail? I've also seen it referred to as a caterpillar ponytail. It's a ponytail with more elastics down the length. You can gather it into the first elastic at your nape, or even a little further down, it doesn't have to be a tight ponytail at all. That way the feel of it on your scalp would be similar to a braid or rope. Or, you can start out with a braid for just two bumps or so, just to get it started, and then continue as a banded ponytail. It shouldn't leave you with many braid waves then.

Horrorpops
April 20th, 2016, 08:34 AM

Ah that's a pity none of the above work perfectly in every regard :/ I guess you can always prioritise and so if you know you want nice waves the next day -bun, but if you want a good night's sleep and a comfortable scalp you can braid?

I think my nightime hair routine has changed since I stopped wearing it loose (from plaits, to a bun, to a single French braid) and I've been able to tailor it to what I like best over time. Maybe you'll find a similar thing and you'll perfect your nightime hair with time?

As for the crunchy braid ends I've heard silk pillow cases or a silk scalf over the braid and braid ends (and silk scrunchie) is really good for keeping your ends nice a smooth. I however had never needed to try this, although I am looking into it now :)

Similarly I think buns cause scalp ache when the scalp isn't used to having the hair that way for that long, or if the weight isn't evenly distributed. Could either of these be the reason some of your buns cause your scalp to be sore?

meteor
April 20th, 2016, 08:44 AM

Those are all great methods. :D
If you want to try something else, there are a couple other things I'd try:

- If you get scalp ache from sleeping with a bun, how about removing the hair stick/fork/clip/etc and covering the bun with a silky scarf/bonnet? It will probably get undone through the night, but likely won't tangle as much. Removing the hair tool will remove the tension and keep your scalp more comfortable.

- Put silky material/scarf between the pillow and the headboard or put it in the groove between the mattress and the headboard and place your loose hair there. You can also loosely wrap hair in a silky scarf or do a ponytail with a silky ribbon/scarf to keep the length lightly contained. It will probably get undone through the night, but can still keep tangles at bay.

Cg
April 20th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I make a loose topknot braid, roll it down, and anchor with an octopus clip. If really lazy, I just do a very loosely twisted rolled topknot, same clip.