PDA

View Full Version : NON-Center-Held Buns

SparrowWings
April 11th, 2016, 08:23 PM
I know a lot of people around here really love the center-held buns (lazy wrap, nautilus, etc). And there are numerous non-bun updos, primarily braid-based (Ellingwoman, woven braids, etc). Certainly, there is no shortage of styling options between those two categories.

But what are the options for non-center-held buns? The only one I know of that is still considered to really be a bun is the cinnabun. That can't be the only one, though, can it? If there is already a list somewhere, please point it out, but if not, let's start one!

neko_kawaii
April 11th, 2016, 08:32 PM
Hum, "center held" would be a useful notation to add to this list: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112682

missmagoo
April 11th, 2016, 08:32 PM
Celtic knot? At least for me, this one is not center held. Spidermom's bun? When I do the Spidermom's bun (and my version of a lazy wrap, really) my stick goes through the loop on either side of the center, so for me the hold is created further towards the edges of the bun.

MsPharaohMoan
April 11th, 2016, 08:40 PM
hmm, does disc fall under this category?

SparrowWings
April 11th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Celtic knot? At least for me, this one is not center held. Spidermom's bun? When I do the Spidermom's bun (and my version of a lazy wrap, really) my stick goes through the loop on either side of the center, so for me the hold is created further towards the edges of the bun.
Well now I'm just confused. How is the same bun center-held for some people, yet not for others? Everything I've seen around here suggests that the LWB is center-held by its very definition, so if there's a way to do the LWB and have it not be center-held, do we need to (re)define center-held first? What are the common traits or qualities required to be deemed "center-held"? Is it a black and white center-held vs not center-held? Or is it more grey, with some definitely center-held, some partially, and some not at all?

Wildcat Diva
April 11th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Seashell bun.

missmagoo
April 11th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Well now I'm just confused. How is the same bun center-held for some people, yet not for others? Everything I've seen around here suggests that the LWB is center-held by its very definition, so if there's a way to do the LWB and have it not be center-held, do we need to (re)define center-held first? What are the common traits or qualities required to be deemed "center-held"? Is it a black and white center-held vs not center-held? Or is it more grey, with some definitely center-held, some partially, and some not at all?
I think the important thing would be to know why you need something non-center held. I think everyone does various buns differently depending on their hair and their personal preferences. Knowing what you're looking for would probably help. I find that there are great variations in how a lazy wrap(for instance) is held I my hair depending on how many fingers I wrap my hair around. 4 fingers definitely makes for a center held bun, 2-3 fingers make for more of an off-centered, knot-looking bun that is definitely not center-held (and probably has some other name!)

maria_asa
April 11th, 2016, 11:18 PM
I don't consider the Celtic blossom bun nor the Pha bun to be center held. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I can come up with right now.

SparrowWings
April 12th, 2016, 05:47 AM
I think the important thing would be to know why you need something non-center held.
I'm just curious what else is out there. The typical response to hairstyle questions seems to be "cinnabuns are hard to secure; the center-held buns in this list are great." And since the commonly-listed buns seem to be a lot of peoples' go-to styles, it's great! But I always want to know more. :)

I'll have to find some links and see what the buns already mentioned look like. I don't recall ever having heard a couple of the names before. Thanks, folks!

MsPharaohMoan
April 12th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Enjoy the exp-hair-imentation, SparrowWings! -slaps knee-

SparrowWings
April 12th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Enjoy the exp-hair-imentation, SparrowWings! -slaps knee-
:doh: :rolleyes:

Now I just need to find some time to try a ton of buns and see what I like! The comforting thing is that the vast majority of them, center-held or otherwise, seem to use most of the same moves, just in slightly different orders or directions, so that should help me learn (or mutate...) a whole bunch of them pretty quickly!

Anje
April 12th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Let's see...

Gibralter bun isn't really center-held. Woven bun isn't. Vortex bun is sort of a cinnamon bun on steroids, but it's not center-held. Bee butt bun isn't center-held.

I think the thing with buns is that most of them need to have a way to secure the inner loop and then the outer wraps. You can:
Pull the inner loop out somehow and secure it all with one object (stick, etc), as is the case with nautilus, lazy wraps, pha bun, disc bun, gibralter, celtic knot, and a whole bunch of others.
Secure the outer wraps separately from the inner one, or have hair that wraps around enough times that it tucks in and stays on its own that way. Cinnamon bun and vortex bun do this. So do many of the more complicated woven buns that need a bunch of pins.
Let the innermost wrap come off the head entirely. Bee butt buns do this, but I think it's not a very common bun feature.
Tuck the length of the hair in underneath the rest of it somehow, like you get with french twists. Whether these are buns, well, I don't know. When is a bun no longer a bun?

lillielil
April 12th, 2016, 10:59 AM
In my experience flipped buns are not center held. I think they fall under Anje's "tuck the length of the hair in underneath the rest of it somehow" category, and are definitely buns.

daPerley
April 12th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I would say you could do most buns off center, where I place my buns depends on how I want to part my hair (and if I want to part my hair or not). :)