PDA

View Full Version : In serious need of some hairstyle inspiration...

Anya15
April 10th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Hello! I am looking for hairstyle ideas that I can add to my (limited) repertoire.

The major problems I am facing are:

1. My length. Unstretched, it is BSL+ and heavily layered. This makes most buns off limits to me. I can do an LWB but I have to be careful with the layers and it falls apart sometimes if my hair is silky (usually on wash day or the day after)

2. My thickness (I am a iii). Buns are a problem because of both length and thickness. The only updo I can manage is a peacock twist (now that my hair is a bit longer, I think this updo looks weird on me)

3. The climate. It is summer here, very hot and humid so I prefer styles that keep the hair away from my face and neck area.

So far, the hairstyles that I can do are:

1.French braid (usually becomes messy because of the layers). Sometimes I fold the braid and tuck it under if it's hot outside.
2.Dutch braid (same problem as french braid)
3.Fishtail braid (less messy than french/dutch braids)
4.Regular english braid

I would also like to sometimes wear my hair down (like in a half-up?) if it's not too hot out, so that I can show off my waves. :) But most of the time I'd like to use protective styles because I want my hair to grow :D

Show me your styles, people! :D

Simsy
April 10th, 2016, 09:29 PM
I'm a fan of the Nautalis bun, and you can change the height. Since length is an issue at the moment, have you considered stacking buns? Nautilus, LWB, or pencil buns should all work rather well. Disc bun might work, I haven't yet worked this one out but your mileage may vary. Cinnibuns might be possible, may have to stack these.

One of my tricks with braids was to tie the braid off, then feed it back up through itself. With a french braid, I managed to get the whole thing up and off my neck just by winding around the bulk of the braided section on my head.

pailin
April 10th, 2016, 09:48 PM
I think I only just started wearing buns around BSL. Simple cinnabon; I was able to manage a lazy wrap but couldn't make it stay for long (stays better now at waist). Still can't manage a nautilus without pulling my hair. I'm on the thick side of ii, so you may need your hair to be longer to bun easily.
What about a frame bun? Basically, make a bun with the top half of your hair only; secure it then take the bottom half of your hair and wrap around the base. Use pins or mini-claw clips to keep the ends in as needed. I think it has a similar effect to doing 2 buns, for enabling you to bun your hair at a shorter length, but you still end up with only one bun.
And in general, I'd consider mini-claw clips or pins to get the layers under control.

spirals
April 11th, 2016, 01:49 AM
Twin french braids might work better than one and they are very cute. Also, buns are easier if you divide your hair first and use the second half as the tail. I still have to do that at waist+ because of thickness and lots of taper (due to layers I'm still trimming out).

Anya15
April 11th, 2016, 04:03 AM
I'm a fan of the Nautalis bun, and you can change the height. Since length is an issue at the moment, have you considered stacking buns? Nautilus, LWB, or pencil buns should all work rather well. Disc bun might work, I haven't yet worked this one out but your mileage may vary. Cinnibuns might be possible, may have to stack these.

One of my tricks with braids was to tie the braid off, then feed it back up through itself. With a french braid, I managed to get the whole thing up and off my neck just by winding around the bulk of the braided section on my head.

What exactly is a stacked bun? Sorry if it's a silly question, but I am a non-native english speaker :)

I don't know how to do a disc or a pencil bun, will look them up! But I really doubt I'll be able to do it properly. Even an LWB pulls on my scalp a lot because of the thickness issue.

I think I only just started wearing buns around BSL. Simple cinnabon; I was able to manage a lazy wrap but couldn't make it stay for long (stays better now at waist). Still can't manage a nautilus without pulling my hair. I'm on the thick side of ii, so you may need your hair to be longer to bun easily.
What about a frame bun? Basically, make a bun with the top half of your hair only; secure it then take the bottom half of your hair and wrap around the base. Use pins or mini-claw clips to keep the ends in as needed. I think it has a similar effect to doing 2 buns, for enabling you to bun your hair at a shorter length, but you still end up with only one bun.
And in general, I'd consider mini-claw clips or pins to get the layers under control.

This is actually a good idea. I am going to try it out!

Twin french braids might work better than one and they are very cute. Also, buns are easier if you divide your hair first and use the second half as the tail. I still have to do that at waist+ because of thickness and lots of taper (due to layers I'm still trimming out).

I tried them once and they made me look younger than my age (which may or may not be a good thing.) But they are cute!

Also: practically no one wears buns here. No one my age I mean. Any tips on what kind of outfits generally go with buns? :)

lapushka
April 11th, 2016, 05:35 AM
I'm a iii and I wore a peacock twist from around APL all the way to waist/hip, because buns weren't at all comfortable, and at longer lengths still way too tight for my liking. A peacock twist was also called a "tails up" by the late flexi8 site.

Anya15
April 11th, 2016, 05:55 AM
I'm a iii and I wore a peacock twist from around APL all the way to waist/hip, because buns weren't at all comfortable, and at longer lengths still way too tight for my liking. A peacock twist was also called a "tails up" by the late flexi8 site.

I've been wearing peacock twists a lot! The problem is the "tail" - my hair has gotten longer so the tail part sort of flaps around on my head like a weird poofy ponytail...is there some secret to making it work as the length gets longer? :)

browneyedsusan
April 11th, 2016, 06:33 AM
I've been wearing peacock twists a lot! The problem is the "tail" - my hair has gotten longer so the tail part sort of flaps around on my head like a weird poofy ponytail...is there some secret to making it work as the length gets longer? :)

Wrap the tail around the base - like you do with a nautilus bun- until it's short enough. :)

Robot Ninja
April 11th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Disc buns can be done with shorter hair because you split the hair in half to make the bun. So you're not dealing with as much thickness at once.

You might also want to try a sock or donut bun; they might actually be easier with shorter hair.

If you want to wear twin French braids without looking too young, you could start them low, just above the ears, braid toward the back, and then bun them.

Or a French twist might be doable, if you want something that is really grown-up and sophisticated.

Horrorpops
April 11th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Ok so you've already got braids covered - awesome!

I personally am loving wearing:
- a half up top knot style (like this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4b/d2/2f/4bd22f9a5d63c4117c809007521ac7bb.jpg) braided one, or this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b1/d8/97/b1d89737081dc34fe62060d2aaca6737.jpg) one)
- Milkmaid braids (like this (http://hairstyleforwomen.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Milkmaid-Braid-Hairstyles-for-Women-messy-milk-maid-braid.jpg))
- Twin Dutch braids (like this (https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e35/12918393_1681551915445613_1740114484_n.jpg?ig_cach e_key=MTIxNjcxOTgwOTY5NTk5MzYyNA%3D%3D.2))

These are both cute styles that are fun to do, I could do on BSL iii hair and are a little different than just the same old braids day in day out. I see you're 23 (me too) and I know it can be hard to find trendy looking hair styles for longer hair that don't use a lot of heat etc, but these both do the job :o

lapushka
April 11th, 2016, 08:45 AM

I just folded it under when it got to be too long. More like a log roll, if you will. With a claw clip on top. At the very last, before I started to wear buns, I could fold it twice before pushing it into my claw clip. At the precise moment my claw almost no longer fit, I could start to do buns! :D

Anya15
April 11th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Browneyedsusan and Lapushka, I'll try doing that with my peacock twists. :) Thanks!

Robotninja and Horrorpops, I'll try out those styles! I really like those half-ups, they'd be a good idea for cooler days :D

MlleMC
April 11th, 2016, 09:22 AM
I tried them once and they made me look younger than my age (which may or may not be a good thing.) But they are cute!

I also find that twin braids make me look younger, but yesterday I made twin Dutch braids that follow the hairline instead of being on top of the head, and adding hair only from the hairline side, and I found that it looks much better (less childish). Like this (http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/mclairel/IMG_20160411_110932192_HDR.jpg), except less frayed (I went swimming with my braids and didn't redo them yet). I've seen other people around my age wearing French/Dutch braids in this style too.

Anya15
April 11th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I also find that twin braids make me look younger, but yesterday I made twin Dutch braids that follow the hairline instead of being on top of the head, and adding hair only from the hairline side, and I found that it looks much better (less childish). Like this (http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/mclairel/IMG_20160411_110932192_HDR.jpg), except less frayed (I went swimming with my braids and didn't redo them yet). I've seen other people around my age wearing French/Dutch braids in this style too.

I like how this looks! The only possible problem I can foresee is my layers sticking out everywhere, but it's worth a try :D

Arctic
April 11th, 2016, 11:44 AM
3-strand disc bun? Instructions in my blog. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125332)

Messy buns are more youthful as are high buns. Accessorize otherwise in the style you would like to express, hair is just one component of style/look.

If you bun/braid when your hair is damp it should stay neated looking. Something like aloe gel or flax seed gel might also help, maybe oiling too (not to mention conventional styling products).

Kake
April 11th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Torrinpaige has a YouTube video that might help you. Search for Torrinpaige and the video is:
Torrin's tips for getting thick hair all the way up.

MlleMC
April 11th, 2016, 12:25 PM
I like how this looks! The only possible problem I can foresee is my layers sticking out everywhere, but it's worth a try :D

You can do them a little further from the hairline if your layers are too short, but I have a friend who's growing out a pixie (currently at shoulder, but with tons of layers), and she can do them with only a pair of bobby pins to keep the shortest layer in.

PixieP
April 11th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Could possibly be worth trying Arctic's fan bun? I love that bun :D I'll probably live in it come summer.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136761

Horrorpops
April 11th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Browneyedsusan and Lapushka, I'll try doing that with my peacock twists. :) Thanks!

Robotninja and Horrorpops, I'll try out those styles! I really like those half-ups, they'd be a good idea for cooler days :D

It's coming out of summer where I am, and I'm excited for the return of the half up as well!! The other two are perfect for hot sticky weather to keep hair away from your face but still look good :) sounds like you've got a ton of ideas from this thread!

Also I can't recommend YouTube enough there are so many channels that post hair styling options it's easy to find someone with hair length similar to you. :)

Simsy
April 11th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Stacked buns is when you make 2 or 3 buns in a line either down or across your head. It looks a bit like a Mohawk, see below if the word is different where you are.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjbkKaP74fMAhUiH6YKHR_rA14QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsweethairstyle.info%2Fwomen-hairstyles%2Fmohawk-hairstyles-for-black-women%2F&bvm=bv.119408272,d.cGc&psig=AFQjCNEDFf0ZUpaazE8v6btnWY4b8YoJRA&ust=1460508119259024

missmagoo
April 11th, 2016, 08:29 PM
For me, I dress the same regardless of my hair, to some extent. I'm a high school teacher, but our environment is casual (most teachers wear jeans and a nicer top). Most days I wear black skinny jeans and a blouse with a blazer and flats, ankle boots, or tall boots depending on the weather . I wear a lot of black and neutrals. I would not say I follow trends too much, but I also think I am pretty on-trend with how I dress. I generally wear my hair up at work. I wear it up in a high bun (lazy wrap, nautilus, Gibraltar) that's somewhat messy, or I wear it low and with a deep side part, same buns. Some outfits look better with a high bun, others a low bun. I think some of it is getting used to how your face looks without a bunch of hair around it.

I personally do not wear braids to work with any regularity. I feel like they look too conservative/outdated with the clothes I wear and with my longish face shape.

Anya15
April 11th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Arctic, I'll try your disc bun soon :)

PixieP, that one looks good! I'll need to bust out the bobby pins though, I don't have spin pins.

I will also look at some youtube channels. :D

Captamericium
April 11th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Have you seen the seashell bun yet? :flower:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65935

Anya15
April 11th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Have you seen the seashell bun yet? :flower:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65935

No I haven't! :D Woo, so many new hairstyles to try. I love you guys! :flowers: