PDA

View Full Version : Hair fork tutorials?

Curly276mom
April 10th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Hi! I'm holding my own with my new hair forks and loving using them. I'm pretty sure what I'm doing is the nautilus bun. But one thing I've learned in my short time here is that the LHC knows all and is very creative. So..... what theads, tutes, hairstyles names, ideas etc should I look at for learning more styles for my forks?

Thanks!

meteor
April 10th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Pretty much all the video tutorials you see with a stick can be done (or at least attempted) with a fork, too. ;) The same weaving motion is used. You may need to slightly loosen it though: the more prongs, the more loosely one can usually bun.

For specific hairstyle recommendations, a lot depends on your current length, thickness, texture, and aesthetic preferences. I find that braided buns are really easy and hold extremely well, so if you know how to braid, you can just fold or coil or wrap that braid and pin it down with a fork for an easy and hair-friendly updo. ;)

2 threads that might be of help for tutorials:
- Favorite YouTube Hair Channels? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61722
- Favorite hair related youtube videos: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=115913

Here are some YouTube channels that might be a good starting point:

- Emi longhairedatheart (she covered beautifully almost all buns out there, plus many variations in great detail!)
- Torrinpaige (so much great variety in hairstyles of all kinds and she shows and explains everything step-by-step which is very helpful)
- Janet Stephens (great historical hairstyles)
- Haartraum (great, easy-to-follow hair styling ideas, some useful adjustments for thick hair)
- Silvousplaits (really cool fantasy hairstyles, pretty advanced)
- Loepsie (interesting curling ideas, some great historical hairstyles recreations)
- Ladollyvita333 (great hairstyles from shows/movies and some interesting new ideas for updos, I'd say, they tend to rely on quite advanced braiding skills)
- PansPage / Pantha (really interesting ideas for simple, but complex-looking and comfortable updos)
- 4ypn0tica / Hypnotica (excellent ideas for new buns and new twists on old buns)
- JJJLongHair / LadyLongLocks (excellent updo ideas for really great lengths)
- Beautyklove (great heatless waves/curls ideas)
- Gossamer (amazing updos and new twists on updos, very easy to follow and great hair tips/advice)
- Willow Lien / WaitingSoLong (amazing new updo styles, very easy to follow instructions)
- Kmemuse (some unique hairstyle ideas, especially for twists on historical styles)
- Schmetterlinchen (excellent tutorials for adjusting standard buns for thicker/longer hair)
- Sameese79 (great updo ideas for very long hair)
- Laura Grout / LadyLongHair (very clear instructions for buns)
- CinnamonHair (excellent bun tutorials)
- Firefromwithin (great ideas for French twists)
- CraftyRenate/Jadestorm (lovely hair tips and updo ideas, easy to follow)
- SarahlabyrinthLHC (some unique updos, really helpful and easy to follow instructions)
- Wildcat Diva (really helpful twists and variations on buns, very easy to follow instructions)
- Divya Naidu (excellent ideas for sectioning and braiding/bunning thick hair in simple ways)
- etc, etc...

Curly276mom
April 10th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Thank you thank you! I'll work my way thru that list. My hair is relatively short but lhc standards, but quite thin so I have access to updos a thicker haired person wouldn't. Plus my hair loves it up, and my curls grips well to hold style (except the fly away bits... there is just nothing taming my "horns").

butter52
April 10th, 2016, 05:17 PM
Any recomendations for medium lenght hair? Im just lerning to use stick and forks but all i can do is a ballet bun and im still figuting out the french twist.

meteor
April 10th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Great, Curly276mom! :D

I think some of the really good updos to try with a fork (again, it depends on thickness and length a lot) would be:
- the wrap styles: Lazy Wrap Bun (or Gibraltar Bun - i.e. Twisted LWB), the Disc Bun (this one can be done on shorter hair),
- the Cinnabun,
- Knots, e.g. the Knot Bun, the Celtic Knot bun (requires more length than the Knot), the Pretzel Bun...

^ And all these styles can be started with a braid base for stronger hold. ;)

Some great styles for shorter hair are:
- French Twist,
- Peacock Twist... (they will probably hold better with more prongs on the fork)
By the way, please let me know if you are having trouble finding any of these (or other) styles on YouTube, and I can provide links. ;)

It does take quite a bit of experimentation to find the styles that work with one's hair the best... :flower: I hope you'll find something that works well for you! :D

Best of luck! :D And happy bunning! :cheer:

butter52
April 10th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Thank you!!

meteor
April 10th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Any recomendations for medium lenght hair? Im just lerning to use stick and forks but all i can do is a ballet bun and im still figuting out the french twist.

How about the Lazy Wrap Bun or the Disc Bun (it basically splits ponytail in 2 and does LWB motion in each direction, so can be done on shorter hair than LWB).

What about a braided cinnabun? :) Or Pinless French Braided Bun?
Or Braided Beehive (3 braids stacked wrapped into a bun)?
Or simplified Ellingwoman Braided bun? This one holds extremely well and it's good for medium length. :)
There are many styles to try. If you let us know more details (e.g. which styles don't hold for you or how long/thick the hair is, it will be easier to recommend something). HTH! :flower:

Try sectioning if a full bun doesn't work ;) (e.g. start a bun with half-up and twist and wrap the bottom hair around the half-up bun).

meteor
April 10th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Oh, and I totally forgot to share the Bun Progression List: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82713 - it's pretty awesome because it gives a pretty reliable progression on at which stage (length) to try which buns. The vast majority of them work well with forks! ;)

Happy hairstyling! :cheer: