PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of the hairspray

Edelweiss
April 10th, 2016, 03:01 AM
Hi, I had to put many products on my hair yesterday, including hairspray and some serum.
As I already washed my hair 2 days ago (I usually wash it once a week) I wondered what was the best way to get rid of the product.
I was thinking about a SMT maybe ?

lapushka
April 10th, 2016, 04:05 AM
Just shampoo will get rid of hairspray just fine. You can continue with regular conditioning after, but if you want something special an SMT is always nice.

Horrorpops
April 10th, 2016, 06:18 AM
I agree. Normal shampoo is enough, if you want to go nuclear you can always clarify and then do a deep conditioning/SMT to reduce the dryness. That's what I do if I feel like there is a bit of build-up from products etc. :)

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2016, 07:47 AM
As the other two posters have said, if it's a light application of hairspray then a regular shampoo should remove it but I would suggest using a sulphate one for this. If you are concerned that it might not do the job you could put some cheap conditioner on your hair for a few hours to soften up the spray then shampoo it off later. My ex used to use hairspray every day for a week, just wetting it own then applying more then tying the hair back. The build up was awful and regular shampoo just didn't get rid of it, leaving white plastic looking bits on the hair. The conditioner trick allowed the stuff to be thoroughly removed and was gentler on the hair.
In the first salon I worked in shampoo and sets were very popular with many clients using strong hold spray daily without washing, this led to terrible build up and the salution there was to use some kind of solvent to strip it off but that was for hair that had lots and lots of buil up on the hair not just one use. I prefer the cheap conditioner idea!

yahirwaO.o
April 10th, 2016, 12:55 PM
As the other two posters have said, if it's a light application of hairspray then a regular shampoo should remove it but I would suggest using a sulphate one for this. If you are concerned that it might not do the job you could put some cheap conditioner on your hair for a few hours to soften up the spray then shampoo it off later. My ex used to use hairspray every day for a week, just wetting it own then applying more then tying the hair back. The build up was awful and regular shampoo just didn't get rid of it, leaving white plastic looking bits on the hair. The conditioner trick allowed the stuff to be thoroughly removed and was gentler on the hair.
In the first salon I worked in shampoo and sets were very popular with many clients using strong hold spray daily without washing, this led to terrible build up and the salution there was to use some kind of solvent to strip it off but that was for hair that had lots and lots of buil up on the hair not just one use. I prefer the cheap conditioner idea!

Oh my gosh solvents on hair???? :thud:

... yeah there are some heavy hairsprays going on, one tresemme can had that build up plastic thing around and no longer was able to spray because it was stuck with that ha ha!

I spray my front frits every day with hairspray but mine is pretty light and Im able to run a brush at night. Still I just wash my hair and its back to my messy stravy texture!

lapushka
April 10th, 2016, 01:44 PM

My mom uses a mild to strong hold hairspray on her bang-area daily, and only washes her hair about monthly. By then it is pretty much gunked up with spray, and it washes out *perfectly* with just a light application of a mild (sulfate) shampoo (for dry hair)!

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Oh my gosh solvents on hair???? :thud:

... yeah there are some heavy hairsprays going on, one tresemme can had that build up plastic thing around and no longer was able to spray because it was stuck with that ha ha!

I spray my front frits every day with hairspray but mine is pretty light and Im able to run a brush at night. Still I just wash my hair and its back to my messy stravy texture!

Yep this stuff had an awful solvent type smell, it would really strip the hair but they generally kept their hair short, permed and then roller set with setting lotion then sprayed with hair spray. Not all had this done, it was just the really hardcore types that had it every few months because no shampooing as enough to get rid of it all after a while.

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2016, 03:45 PM
My mom uses a mild to strong hold hairspray on her bang-area daily, and only washes her hair about monthly. By then it is pretty much gunked up with spray, and it washes out *perfectly* with just a light application of a mild (sulfate) shampoo (for dry hair)!

Well I can assure you these women were not managing to remove the build up with just shampoo washing once per week (most had regular weekly appointments). You could literally see the white plastic stuff kind of welded to their hair strands after washing even with quite strong sulphate shampoos. Bear in mind they had VERY strong spray used on their hair and so much that their hair felt almost like a concrete helmet once finished, I'm sure a full blown hurricane wouldn't have messed their do's too much!

I don't mean to imply that everyone should do this, I have used hair spray and got it out fine using shampoo but I thought I would just share the story as it seemed somewhat relevant, just an extreme one.

meteor
April 10th, 2016, 03:46 PM
It kind of depends on the type of product (specific ingredients and concentration of ingredients specifically for hold and shine) and amounts you used.

Sometimes just rinsing with water will be enough. :)
If in doubt, any mild shampoo or cleanser will work in most cases.
In case of pretty serious build-up, I'd use a clarifying shampoo (followed by a moisturizing treatment, preferably).

Anje
April 10th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Given that most hairsprays are acrylates, I'm also in favor of just shampooing it out. It might not be your regularly scheduled wash, but if your hair is gunky and needs cleaned, then it needs cleaned. There's nothing wrong with that.

If you want something that'll rinse clean without detergents, I'd try a different compound for hold. I've heard good things about misting hair with sugar water, for example.