PDA

View Full Version : S & D Question -

Snowlily
April 8th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Amongst a handful of things I have lost, my hairdressing scissors were one of them but today i found them woop woop....

I am now going to have a nice friday night in snipping away at my splitz and white dots - my question is, how far up the hair do you cut from said white dots/splitz?

I don't want to snip too much growth off but enough to nip the splitz in the bud!

Nique1202
April 8th, 2016, 10:36 AM
I usually only go about 1/4 inch above a white dot. For a split, some of my splits start at the end of the hair and move upward, some of my splits start partway up the shaft and split downward. Either way I look for the highest point where the hair shaft is damaged and go 1/4 inch above that. I don't think you need to go any more than that, and maybe even less if you have the coordination to go, say, 1/8 inch above the damaged spot. I usually get a little unsteady when I focus too hard so I aim for 1/4.

Snowlily
April 8th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Awesome - thank you! Now time to not get too scissorhappy ...

lapushka
April 8th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Here we always went about half a cm to a cm above it (split/white dot).

Snowlily
April 8th, 2016, 11:33 AM
So I started and it slowly dawned on me that most of the hair around my face was rocking a split or a white dot - so I just chopped a wedge of hair out that frames my face and most of the remaining dye with it....maybe that was a bit reckless as I am now rocking a bit of a 'Rachel' BUT the hairs were just breaking off in my fingers before the scissors touched them...maybe the hairs were like lemmings and wanted to jump off a cliff before the scissors got to them :p I can still put it up in a claw clip though! and I now have a nice marker to work with....when the cut hair gets to APL, the rest of my hair will be BSL!!!

Happy days

casiopeia
April 8th, 2016, 11:42 AM
As little as I can, about 1-2 mm above the split.

restless
April 8th, 2016, 01:32 PM

Yeah, same here. Works for me.

Platzhalter
April 8th, 2016, 01:55 PM

Been doing the same most of the time so I cut as little as possible.