PDA

View Full Version : Hair-related annoyances that other long-hairs will understand

AZDesertRose
April 7th, 2016, 05:56 PM
I looked for a thread for these and didn't find anything that wasn't archived.

So I thought I'd start a thread for the little aggravating hair-related things that people with long hair will understand but others might not get. :cheese:

I'll go first. Today I have my hair in an English braid. I went to the supermarket for some stuff and upon getting out of my car, I got the end of my braid caught under the strap of my cross-body purse, so I set down something and moved the purse strap off my braid. Well, in the process, I apparently caused my hair tie to slide off the end of my braid. Now, it's just a hair tie, but it was a hair tie in a type I really liked and haven't been able to find, and it was the last one of that type I had. So not the end of the world or anything but just aggravating. Grr.

I figured y'all would understand my annoyance.

Simsy
April 7th, 2016, 06:31 PM
I looked for a thread for these and didn't find anything that wasn't archived.

Well, in the process, I apparently caused my hair tie to slide off the end of my braid. Now, it's just a hair tie, but it was a hair tie in a type I really liked and haven't been able to find, and it was the last one of that type I had. So not the end of the world or anything but just aggravating. Grr.

Losing or snapping the only hair tie you have stretched out to a comfortable length, so you have to start again with a new too-tight hair tie. So annoying.

Pulling the mane into different 4 or 5 times because the b***dy thing keeps pulling, but as soon as you go back to the first bun, the whole just sits there behaving itself. (rather like a toddler, drives you completely bonkers while looking like an angle who could do no wrong)

I like this thread :grin: :laugh:

Captamericium
April 7th, 2016, 07:28 PM
When I braid and as im braiding, some shed hairs get tangled with the strands along with my fingers :rolleyes: its super annoying...I hope i'm not the only one with this problem haha :p

spirals
April 7th, 2016, 10:59 PM
I'm going to love this thread. The other day I went to my neighbor's apt and just as her hubs opened the door and asked how I was I scowled because yet again my purse was sliding off my arm and taking my hair with it. It was the 5th time that day and I was so annoyed by that point. I also understand the re-doing the bun thing. Every time I do a bun or a braid there's always a strand that pulls and hurts.

AZDesertRose
April 7th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Oh, spirals, I have SO been there. I carry a cross-body purse because carrying a single-shoulder bag hurts my neck (don'tcha just love getting older? Oh well, it beats the alternative). Anyway, when I put my purse on or take it off, the strap goes over my head, and if I'm wearing a hair stick or fork, I seem to invariably catch the strap on the hair toy. Sometimes it just snags, but sometimes it dislodges the hair toy and causes my hairdo to fall apart; it seems like the latter tends to happen when I'm in a hurry (but that's probably confirmation bias talking).

tiffycakes
April 8th, 2016, 12:29 AM
MY hair is not really super long yet, but compared with a few months ago when it was shorter I've definitely found a few annoying things.

When I'm lying in bed and my toddler decides to walk around and steps all over my hair. It's so painful!

Using a backpack when my hair is down and having to move it so that the backpack doesn't pull it.

Unlatching my Flexi-clip and finding broken hairs that were caught between the beads.

catasa
April 8th, 2016, 12:58 AM
I'll go first. Today I have my hair in an English braid. I went to the supermarket for some stuff and upon getting out of my car, I got the end of my braid caught under the strap of my cross-body purse, so I set down something and moved the purse strap off my braid. Well, in the process, I apparently caused my hair tie to slide off the end of my braid. Now, it's just a hair tie, but it was a hair tie in a type I really liked and haven't been able to find, and it was the last one of that type I had. So not the end of the world or anything but just aggravating. Grr.

I figured y'all would understand my annoyance.

I totally understand your frustration!

My main annoyance currently is that all the silk scrunchies I use for messy buns at home are stretched out too much and donŽt really hold anymore. And doing an extra loop is too tight. Grr. I am seriously thinking of sewing some silk scrunchies myself with a flap/hole in them so that I can easily replace the elastic inside when needed!

chen bao jun
April 8th, 2016, 06:09 AM
I totally understand your frustration!

My main annoyance currently is that all the silk scrunchies I use for messy buns at home are stretched out too much and donŽt really hold anymore. And doing an extra loop is too tight. Grr. I am seriously thinking of sewing some silk scrunchies myself with a flap/hole in them so that I can easily replace the elastic inside when needed!

YOu can also take a seam ripper, rip out about an inch of the sewing of he ones you have, take the elastic out, put elastic back in, resew the elastic and resew the scrunchie closed. The fabric hasn't stretched, but only the elastic has. Of course if the fabric has got dirty, has holes or something you might just want to make more. Making scrunchies is very easy, but repairing them does save you the steps of cutting out the fabric and sewing it together.
Instruction are on youtube somewhere I'm sure.

Ponymad21
April 8th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Shutting your hair in the car door ����

restless
April 8th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Long, shed hairs everywhere. Everywhere! YouŽll find them in places you didnt even think were possible.

mindwiped
April 8th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Shutting your hair in the car door ����

Lord yes...my hair was tightly braided yesterday, and the Kansas' winds pulled enough of the mess loose to get it in the car door. Yippee, I'm back at that length! :happydance: yippee...i'm at /that/ length :doh:

Garnetgem
April 8th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Catching your long braid on a door handle and if the door swings shut then its agony,and that pain when you walk past a door with your hair loose and snag some strands around the door hand while your walking fast....it takes half your hair out!

catasa
April 8th, 2016, 10:22 AM
YOu can also take a seam ripper, rip out about an inch of the sewing of he ones you have, take the elastic out, put elastic back in, resew the elastic and resew the scrunchie closed. The fabric hasn't stretched, but only the elastic has. Of course if the fabric has got dirty, has holes or something you might just want to make more. Making scrunchies is very easy, but repairing them does save you the steps of cutting out the fabric and sewing it together.
Instruction are on youtube somewhere I'm sure.

Thanks, yes, ripping out and then re-sewing is much quicker of course. I thought about it briefly but then my mind kind of got stuck in "if I have to sew anyway, I might as well do new ones" but maybe IŽll re-think that :)

MlleMC
April 8th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Long, shed hairs everywhere. Everywhere! YouŽll find them in places you didnt even think were possible.

Yes! I have had some pretty incredible ones, like in my computer mouse and on the ceiling (I'm still wondering how this one got there).

Also, my braids constantly get caught in buttons on my clothes.

Hairkay
April 8th, 2016, 01:54 PM

Ah yes the tumbleweed of hairs that ends up on the floor and blows around when you're trying to sweep or vacuum it up. It ends up on the floor after I attempted to put it in the bin but it's light enough to blow or drift anywhere but the bin you're aiming at.

restless
April 8th, 2016, 02:35 PM
It ends up on the floor after I attempted to put it in the bin but it's light enough to blow or drift anywhere but the bin you're aiming at.

lol I know this all too well :D

SparrowWings
April 8th, 2016, 03:11 PM
It ends up on the floor after I attempted to put it in the bin but it's light enough to blow or drift anywhere but the bin you're aiming at.
Oh yes. Topped off by being blind without my glasses, yet needing them out of the way to deal with my hair, and there tend to be an awful lot of accusations of me "not even trying" to be tidy with my hair...

Or when the hair does make the trash, but only part of it goes in properly before the rest gets caught by a breeze and drapes over the edge for someone (some pet...) later to rub against and drag somewhere new altogether.

How about getting shed hair caught around your toes, or woven into your socks, so that everything pulls in a funny and annoying way?

Inga-Marjukka
April 8th, 2016, 03:55 PM
When you realise that despite your efforts, your hair has loads and loads of breakage and continues to break into bits when you brush and comb. When your bleached hair gets yellower and yellower. When you braid your hair and move it over your shoulder to braid the ends and the twist comes along and you don't know how not to make it happen.

:meditate::justy:

lillielil
April 8th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Armpit hairballs. It used to happen whenever I wore a sweater with my hair down. D:

Laur
April 8th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Long hair woven into your towels/socks/other stretchy fabric in the laundry. Butt-crack hairs (shed ones so far, but I'm getting close to having attached hairs that long). Hair tumbleweeds in the bathroom. Cutting hair out of the beater brush in the vacuum cleaner.

Oh and hair-stick tantrums! When no matter what you do, your hair WILL NOT stay up in an updo!

endlessly
April 8th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Broken hair clips are a major annoyance for me. I've gone through a dozen or so in the last few years and my favorite one just snapped in half the other day before work.

spirals
April 8th, 2016, 08:49 PM
Oh and hair-stick tantrums! When no matter what you do, your hair WILL NOT stay up in an updo!

That was me today, and I must've had an annoyed look on my face; my customer looked displeased. I felt bad, but what can you do? I (had to have it up because I was covering my coworker's break and she works with food.)

SteelRose
April 9th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Having to cut the hair that has wrapped itself around the roller brush of the vacuum cleaner. The bad part for me is that this is usually the kids' hair here. Mine is always up, so less shedding outside of certain rooms.