PDA

View Full Version : Help! My hair's crying!

TruePenny
April 6th, 2016, 04:26 PM
I need some serious tcl advice, my hairs not felt quite this dry since the bleach disaster pre lhc. We've just started renovation on our new homestead, it's all knocking out fireplaces and rebuilding walls stage atm and I think all the plaster dust and dust dust in the air is making my hair upset as it feels so dry and horrid.

HELP?! I usually wash conditioner only and keep it plaited all the time and tucked in my clothes at the building site. And I have been using coconut oil as usual on the ends, only brushing with a tangle teezer (as normal) but it's not enough whilst we're fixing the house up :( my hairs not due a trim and I can't see any splits but I'm worried they will start if I don't come up with something better soon. Save me, hair heroes! :justy::justy:Xx

lapushka
April 6th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Maybe try a pre-poo with some coconut oil or olive oil (ears down only, and preferably longer lengths only), then CO-wash as usual and leave some oil (couple drops) in post wash.

TruePenny
April 6th, 2016, 04:32 PM
P.s. Forgot to mention that my length is hip :doh:

TruePenny
April 6th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Thankies! Do you think there's a super duper oil for protection against plaster dust demons? Can't help think coconut can't cut it.

XiaoBaiTu
April 6th, 2016, 05:15 PM
Thankies! Do you think there's a super duper oil for protection against plaster dust demons? Can't help think coconut can't cut it.

Not sure about this, but I did find this article (http://www.naturalhairrules.com/10-oils-natural-hair/) (not from LHC) about the properties of different oils and what they each do for hair. It seems pretty comprehensive, maybe some members with more experience using oils would care to chime in?

spidermom
April 6th, 2016, 05:47 PM
I'd tie it up with scarves or something.

MsPharaohMoan
April 6th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Oil attracts dirt and dust so I imagine you have lots of particles trapped in your mane causing more buildup than usual. I'd clarify scalp and length then deep condition and as spidermom suggested, keep it covered while doing dusty work.

Anje
April 6th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Honestly, I'd do a basic reset: Clarify, protein treatment, moisture treatment. Then cover it when you're doing dusty work -- I'd usually just do a buff or a bandana, but if having it in your clothes isn't enough, you might want to upgrade to a plastic shower cap, maybe tied under a bandana if you're worried about appearances.

Try a different oil too, but be aware that dust is going to stick to oiled hair a LOT more than to unoiled hair. Olive oil is heavy and super-easy to overdo (more so than most oils including coconut) and have it look greasy, but it always made my hair soft.

Qz
April 6th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Drywall and plaster dust are horrible to keep out of anything you don't want them in, including hair! The particles are so fine that they stay in the air and get into everything and just coat it. When we were remodeling the only thing I could do was keep my hair completely covered while working, and I still had to wash out the dust at the end of the day. It's awful stuff.

Lunearia
April 7th, 2016, 04:06 AM
Honestly, I'd do a basic reset: Clarify, protein treatment, moisture treatment. Then cover it when you're doing dusty work -- I'd usually just do a buff or a bandana, but if having it in your clothes isn't enough, you might want to upgrade to a plastic shower cap. -- Try a different oil too, but be aware that dust is going to stick to oiled hair a LOT more than to unoiled hair.
This is good advice!
Try wrapping your length around your head, and placing the snug cap or a beanie on to keep all of your hair unexposed. You can take it off during breaks to let your scalp breathe, I think it's a good idea especially if you're wearing the shower cap. :)

Deborah
April 7th, 2016, 09:55 AM
I would skip the oil, as it will attract more dust, and will hold on to the dust more than your hair without the added oil. If it were me I would cover my hair completely while in the building.

nakima
April 7th, 2016, 10:35 AM
I think after washing as you normally do I would just do a nice long deep conditioning and then keep it covered the best you can maybe instead of braiding and tucking it in your clothes you might just put it up and cover it with a do rag. Lots of good advice here. I just can't help but think that maybe keeping it tucked in is causing a lot of friction and could be contributing to the problem? good Luck!

Wusel
April 7th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Silk bonnet. I'd wear a silk bonnet or a scarf turban on my head everyday. I did so when I was renovating. Wash, moisture condition, oil and hide every single hair under a scarf.

TruePenny
April 9th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Gosh that's a lot of help thanks lovelies! I'll go shopping for a scarf Asap and try all your other ideas as well and find a winning combo. I'll let you know when my locks stop crying :rolleyes: xx

TruePenny
April 9th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Oh, while I'm here, any scarfs recommended? Maybe there's a post on here I've not come across yet.

MeganJoan
April 9th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Well, looks like you've already got a solid plan! I definitely would have suggested the scarf option as well.

It might be worth getting a few cheaper scarves if you can. That way you can wash and use a clean one every day. Obviously silk is the best option for your hair, but not the cheapest if you're buying multiple. I'd considering keeping it covered ASAP as the primary goal and depending on how long you'll be renovating for you can get some better materials as you go.

Wusel
April 10th, 2016, 03:32 AM
I recommend this one. Satin is similar to silk, good for hair and looks pretty. There are different colors. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Satin-Large-Scarf-Style/dp/B006OO0CG8/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1460280683&sr=8-2&keywords=satin+scarf

Three of them are enough so you can use a clean one every day and easily hand wash the other ones in the sink with some shampoo or soap.
Satin dries very fast.

Horrorpops
April 10th, 2016, 06:36 AM
I agree with PPs point that oil may just attract dust and plaster and make your hair feel drier. What I'd do is a nice deep conditioning treatment - shop bought or home made. Let it soak in for a few hours/overnight, not just oil but something moisturising like conditioner+a few drops of oil+ a spoon of honey or aloe. That kind of treatment moisturises my hair far more than oil alone. Let it marinade under a shower cap or clingfilm and then wash it out (don't shampoo after). This may help impart some more moisture to your bleached hair. :o
Hope this helps!

TruePenny
April 10th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Ah thanks, wusel. Found it on the uk site along with a pink 'never dry' version. Can't see how the 'built in moisturising conditioner' would work, but anything pink must be magic :pegasus:

Echileruwen
April 10th, 2016, 06:42 PM
When I had to do something similar, I wore a shower cap while I worked in the house. It won't win you any fashion awards, :) but at least it keeps all the debris out of your hair.