PDA

View Full Version : can you "train" hair to go a different direction

lillielil
April 6th, 2016, 03:52 PM
So this stupid question is not about my own hair, but about my son's. His hair lies very close to the scalp and goes straight forward. Right now he has a haircut with a very unfortunate name (buzzed sides and back, long on top... you know the one), and the top bit is always plastered down to his eyebrows. I try to comb it to the side while it is wet, but within a few minutes it is straight down again. Short of using cement serious gel, is there anything I can do to get it to not do that?

lapushka
April 6th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I would try and make a side part and wax or gel it down (comb it through). Then see what that does. Did it always used to spring straight forward or is it maybe this blasted haircut?

lillielil
April 6th, 2016, 04:04 PM
It always went straight forward when left on its own, but the haircut sure accentuates it! When he was really little and it was longer I used to clip it up in a little fountain ponytail, but even then the front would poof out because it wanted to go down toward his face. Any kind of wax or gel you recommend? I have used Suavecito pomade in the past - it holds like the dickens and washes right out, but I can't stand the smell of it.

lapushka
April 6th, 2016, 04:07 PM
For wax the Garnier Fructis pure clean finishing paste. For gel Eco Styler (I have the olive oil version) - it won't flake because the gel doesn't have alcohol or silicones, and you don't need much of it!

lillielil
April 6th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Excellent! I will go sniff them (I'm bad and smell stuff in store before I buy it) and give them a try if they are inoffensive. I've never used a wax. How is different than a gel? And does it wash out easily?

lapushka
April 6th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Washes out very easily. The wax is something my dad uses. The gel is really easy to wash out, but I use a coinsize amount for my classic length hair. Just a fingertip's worth might be enough. And they sell Eco Styler in big big tubs, but also in smaller containers. The bigger tub (about 1L) is about 6 euro where I live. Is probably even less in the US!

lillielil
April 6th, 2016, 06:27 PM
I found the Garnier paste at the grocery store and took a whiff; it is not for me. I'll have to look elsewhere for the gel you recommended.

AJNinami
April 6th, 2016, 06:28 PM
It can be trained, it takes a long time though. Those in the "emo/scene" community who have that cowlick bangs hairstyle see this a lot. When they first start doing that with their hair they have to use lots of gel and hairspray and heat tools to get their hair to move in front of their face to the side, but after (I think it's a year, not sure) they don't have to use a single product anymore. I've noticed it on my own hair, too. I have a natural center part but it makes me look tired, so a few years ago I started forcing myself to have a side part. Now my hair flips that way naturally and absolutely refuses to part on the other side of my head. To do it on someone else's head might be a bit difficult, though. It takes doing it every single day and making sure it stays there throughout the day.
Good luck! :flower: