PDA

View Full Version : Death hawks/ shaved sides with long hair

lithostoic
April 5th, 2016, 08:31 PM
I would LOVE to do something like that. I did a test with bobby pins and I totally have thick enough hair that you wouldn't notice shaved sides if my hair was parted down the middle. Which it does naturally.

It would be SO versatile and way less sweaty in the summer. I know the growing out part can be a pain but honestly I wouldn't care. I'm not remotely vain enough XD Plus I think it'd look super cool with my goal length of waist/hip.

What do y'all think?

Like this but longer hair
http://40.media.tumblr.com/4771a4b6052db65e4fdb08190570e6f4/tumblr_mwvlryMSU11roenq9o1_500.jpg

MsPharaohMoan
April 5th, 2016, 09:08 PM
I always thought shaved sides would look so cool with a long dutch braid going down the center! Warrior queen-esque. Would you leave the sideburns, as the girl in the image has?

rhosyn_du
April 6th, 2016, 12:22 AM
Having recently grown out a side cut, I want to offer a warning that very short shaved hair acts like velcro for surrounding longer hairs, so the longer hairs end up stuck in the shorter part, which looks weird and can pull unpleasantly. If you decide to keep your shaved sides about 1/4" or longer, it shouldn't be a problem, but if you shave it as short as in the picture you linked, it could be an issue. It really was for me.

lapushka
April 6th, 2016, 06:20 AM
Honestly you're at an awkward length right now and you'll grasp at anything at this time to have a change in your hair (been there, done that multiple times over), it's classic, it's what you go through. I would try and get to APL first, then see what you think. ;)

Robot Ninja
April 6th, 2016, 06:29 AM
I had shaved sides with waist length hair. It looked awesome while I had it, didn't show at all when I had my hair down, but was a huge pain to grow out. It would indeed look super cool with a Dutch braid. Or you could part it on one side and have it look like a sidecut. If you wanted to put it up though you'd have to tease the hell out of it, and I'm not even sure how well that would work with waist-length hair; I'm pretty sure the longer deathhawks are shorter in the front. And if you have any friends belonging to a post-punk subculture, they will be forever asking to put your mohawk up for you.

I didn't shave my sides, I buzzed them, so I can't speak to the velcro effect, but it did feel really cool and fuzzy. Ultimately I got tired of the upkeep and I missed my thickness. There was a really awkward growing out phase, before they got long enough to lie flat or be gelled back, when I couldn't do anything but wear my hair down, and the sides made it look like I had a funny-shaped head.

-Huldra-
April 6th, 2016, 07:37 AM
I always thought shaved sides would look so cool with a long dutch braid going down the center! Warrior queen-esque. Would you leave the sideburns, as the girl in the image has?

Totally agree!!

lithostoic
April 6th, 2016, 09:41 AM
MsPharaohMoan Yes I would

rhosyn_du Oh yeah I'd use an electric shaver, not a razor. Probably like 1/3 inch.

lapushka I am APL, just haven't called it because it's barely there :P

Robot Ninja Very cool c: I usually wear my hair down anyway, teasing it up would mainly be for occasion. And my hair teases VERY easily. I teased it all completely for a zombie themed event years ago and it went from mid back to shoulder! With no product.

-Huldra- :)

Robot Ninja
April 6th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Robot Ninja Very cool c: I usually wear my hair down anyway, teasing it up would mainly be for occasion. And my hair teases VERY easily. I teased it all completely for a zombie themed event years ago and it went from mid back to shoulder! With no product.

Teasing is very damaging though, so if you're trying to get to hip it's probably a big no-no, even for special occasions.

lithostoic
April 6th, 2016, 12:36 PM
In my experience I had no problem making it to waist when I treated my hair like s**t every day.

Eastbound&Down
April 6th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I say if you are comfortable with the idea of playing with it, go for it! It's hair and it will grow, hell that's what it does. If I thought I could pull it off, and had the ability to (military, so can't do anything fun) I think that would be fun to do. Maybe even dye it a fun color while I was at it, rainbow even!

lithostoic
April 6th, 2016, 01:50 PM
I say if you are comfortable with the idea of playing with it, go for it! It's hair and it will grow, hell that's what it does. If I thought I could pull it off, and had the ability to (military, so can't do anything fun) I think that would be fun to do. Maybe even dye it a fun color while I was at it, rainbow even!

Thanks ^-^ and thank you for your service

Eastbound&Down
April 6th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Thanks ^-^ and thank you for your service

Thank you. If you decide to do it, post pictures please!!