PDA

View Full Version : Hair toys in an office setting

Zesty
April 4th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone! I just got a call I've been waiting for for a month -- I got a new job! Which means that I will no longer be working from home in my jeans every day. And that leads me to my beloved hair toy collection. (I did look for threads like this and there were a couple, but not exactly what I was looking for and/or they were really ancient.)

Obviously the official company policy is not going to say "no hair forks" because they do not know wtf a hair fork even is. This is what the information they gave me says: "Unnatural hair colors are not allowed. Hair should be worn in a conservative style. Hats are not allowed." No pink hair, check. No hats, check. But... what does conservative mean? For dress they call it "business casual" but it seems a little more formal than that, i.e. men have to wear ties or sport coats unless they're wearing a company polo. Obviously for women it's a little less cut and dry.

I think a bun is conservative, obviously, and I wear those every day. (Is a side braid "conservative" though?) But what about bun adornments? I'm not going to bust out my bright pink LI or anything, but would sticks and forks in natural woods or acrylics in muted colors be acceptable? Or am I limited to Ficcares and spin pins and maybe Flexis? What is YOUR work environment like, if you work in a professional setting?

Game plan for now is to err on the side of caution until I get a better feel for the dress code, so Ficcare and non-showing pins it is. But I'm gonna bet right now that there won't be others wearing hair sticks for me to look to, so does anyone have any advice for someone who's clueless about these things? (Clueless as in I have literally one professional outfit, so I'm definitely going to have to go shopping...)

missrandie
April 4th, 2016, 12:43 PM
I think you might be able to get some clues from looking at the other ladies and seeing what they do for jewelry. If they wear statement jewelry, dangly earrings, etc. Then liken your hair toys to that.

That's the best I've got.

Zesty
April 4th, 2016, 12:46 PM
I think you might be able to get some clues from looking at the other ladies and seeing what they do for jewelry. If they wear statement jewelry, dangly earrings, etc. Then liken your hair toys to that.

That's the best I've got.

That's a really good idea, thank you!

-Huldra-
April 4th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Something that sort of blends in with your haircolor should be safe.

Arctic
April 4th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Of course I can't know for sure, but I would imagine neutral and not too big hair toys should be ok. I mean sticks that barely stick out of the bun, and are not huge propellers, forks that have simple and small top part (what is it called?).

It's a good idea to observe a bit at first, but I think it might be equally good to start wearing those neutral, small hair toys pretty soon, so people would get used to them as fast as possible.

And about side braids, I assume they are not conservative. At least to me they seem very relaxed and trendy, and in that context even sloppy.

I also just started working, and want to look professional. I have no dress code, really, though. But I want to make a good impression, so I aim for something like bordering business casual. For hair my main concern is my habit of touching, playing and swirling my hair without noticing, which I want to avoid with all cost. So I have a plan to have my hair in updos all the time. I also am going to use hair spray and more pins than I normally would, so they style stays neat all work day, and that my layers and ends wont stick out. I do plan to wear my hair accessories, but mine are all pretty neutral to begin with.

One thing about dressing and how you dress yourself (including hair, etc). The advice is to dress for the part your want, not where you are at. So it's good to put lot of thought into the whole and into the details.

Good luck and congratulations!

Anje
April 4th, 2016, 01:03 PM
I'm going to guess that just about anything you normally wear to secure a bun day-to-day is conservative enough. To me, a non-conservative hairstyle would be if you shaved one side or gelled a pixie into spikes. The usual idea is to make your appearance inoffensive to a bunch of judgmental people you might be having to deal with, probably so the HR people don't have to listen the said judgmental people whining to them. No one is going to cause an HR fuss because you wore a bright Ficcare or a sparkly hairstick. :) Even a neat braid is more likely to be admired than annoy people.

Zesty
April 4th, 2016, 01:09 PM
I'm going to guess that just about anything you normally wear to secure a bun day-to-day is conservative enough. To me, a non-conservative hairstyle would be if you shaved one side or gelled a pixie into spikes. The usual idea is to make your appearance inoffensive to a bunch of judgmental people you might be having to deal with, probably so the HR people don't have to listen the said judgmental people whining to them. No one is going to cause an HR fuss because you wore a bright Ficcare or a sparkly hairstick. :) Even a neat braid is more likely to be admired than annoy people.

I hope you're right. My taste in hair toys isn't generally super in-your-face anyway. The other thing about this job is that it's largely phone-based, so the only people who will see me regularly are coworkers. If a client comes to visit apparently we're given notice. So I guess it depends on whether my coworkers are b****y snitches. ;)

Quasiquixotic
April 4th, 2016, 01:16 PM
I think Quattro forks, that have little tine showing and or upins or decorative pins would be fine as well. Braided buns or tidy crown/Heidi braids as well.

Nightshade
April 4th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I work in a large office for a very large company, and I've had zero problems with hair toys of all sorts :) Start off with your more boring ones and once people get over a bun with sticks in it, which sticks are in the bun cease to matter in a couple months.

pinutzz
April 4th, 2016, 01:33 PM
I would recommend very simple designs (especially at the beginning):

minimalist brass hair fork by Kiehl's Klunker (http://de.dawanda.com/product/95706823-haarforke-aus-messing)
http://i.imgur.com/ZGDX7Mn.png

Senza Limiti: Bon Bon hair stick, preferably with a neutral sphere (http://www.senzalimiti.net/deutsch/kollektion/holz/popups/Mess-bonbon.htm) (mine is way too large, get something that fits...)
http://i.imgur.com/rfJ3o3c.png

I don't have any pictures yet of me wearing my newest acquisitions, but these toys would probably also work well:

black wooden fork (https://www.etsy.com/listing/247224319/5-ebonised-red-oak-hair-fork-square-top) (you would need something bigger though)

elymwold with inlays (https://www.etsy.com/listing/271259006/reserved-hair-stick-152mm-handmade-from)

This one also seems very work approptiate to me (again with a neutral sphere):
another hair fork with sphere (https://www.etsy.com/listing/235731940/pearl-white-hair-fork-in-bronze-your?ref=shop_home_active_5)

I would absolutely avoid anything made from colorful acrylic, dymondwood and most flexis (with a few exceptions like tree of life (https://shop.lillarose.biz/MemberToolsDotNet/ShoppingCartv3/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=20161&CatalogueID=211&PartyID=0&PartyGuestID=0&InternalUse=1&ProductGroupString=109.110)).
And for those with puny buns like me a tortoise slide barrette (https://www.etsy.com/listing/263709995/faux-tortoise-hair-slide-and-stick-made?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=tortoise%20slide&ref=sr_gallery_3) could also look polished imho.

lapushka
April 4th, 2016, 01:40 PM
I think a bun should be okay, and I'd use spin pins to be on the safe side.

April 4th, 2016, 01:50 PM
I wear formal all the time, even after work. I mostly wear black/navy/white/gray suits or lace dresses. I bun my hair and secure with black ribbon or dark big wooden hairstick. Sometimes braid and secure with black ribbon. That said I sometimes used bright green ribbon or worn very bright blue suit or bright blue lace dress. I see other women wearing pink suit jackets all the time. So I guess it depends on your specific workplace. If you're unsure wear neutral colors and if you see other women wearing more daring stuff then go for it. Heck, I've been wearing wet look most of the time, I don't recommend it though, for obvious reasons, lol. That's too daring if you don't want problems.

reilly0167
April 4th, 2016, 02:05 PM
My work place says the same thing, what I consider conservative hair is a style that is an everyday normal style as long as is neat and proper such as hair buns, wearing your hair down etc. Adornments such as hairsticks should be fine as long as it's simple nothing over the top for example in a shape of a sword( which I love). I wear my hair in a bun with a simple stick. And its perfectly fine and I work for a company with very strict image that they work hard to maintain. Congrats on your new job.

Seeshami
April 4th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I have never had anyone say anything about my hair keeper uppers at work be them a giant claw clip or a largish fork. Now I wouldn't wear my pumpkin fascinator to work but my CanadianInspirations and Hacksaw forks no one has fussed over ever. I also worked in a corporate setting that would send you home if your shoes were not all the same color. Yes shoe, stitching, and sole had to be entirely brown or entirely black.

I wore neon colored hair sticks, rainbow sticks and forks no one said anything. Well they would comment if it was new or they had never seen it but I was never told to take my hair down. I would also do elaborate updos when I felt like it.

Wear a simple bun with a simple stick on you first day and take your more adventurous hair items with you and ask, my current employer doesn't care and asked me to show his daughter my crazy colors. My boss regularly sends me crazy color ideas. It really just depends on the employer.

A braid is never a good option because people like my coworkers will play with it. All. The. Gosh. danged. time.

Wusel
April 4th, 2016, 02:19 PM
A bun with a small size wooden stick or fork conservative enough. No problem OMHO. But no colorful stuff.

lillielil
April 4th, 2016, 02:46 PM
I work in a conservative setting and do wear a little color on occasion. I have a few flexi-8s that I wear, and also frequently wear a purple fork that matches perfectly with one of my sweaters. I reserve antler forks for casual Friday. I do, however, keep my hair toys small and proportional to my bun. Definitely no propeller-head. My other jewlery is very minimal - the same roman glass necklace every day (usually covered up by a scarf) and small earrings. Wooden hair toys should be absolutely fine and a bun is definitely conservative.

FWIW, I also have a nose ring, some unconventional inner-ear piercings, and a tattoo on the back of my neck that may or may not peek out on any given day. So maybe my work environment isn't that conservative.

cat11
April 4th, 2016, 03:00 PM
I work in an office setting and I wear a hair toy every day- either a flexi or sticks in whatever color I think looks good with that outfit. I've gotten nothing but compliments on them and I think of them no different than a headband, scrunchie, or clip.

LongCurlyTress
April 4th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Since your hair is at waist length (according to your profile info ;) I would think a nape English braid with a hairtie at the bottom that matches your hair color would work for now until you experience the work environment. Maybe some small pearl earrings and just scope out what the other ladies are wearing. ;) I wouldn't do anything to "out there" at first... Good luck at your new job!! Mei Fa hairstix are very conservative and elegant and don't stick out far. Here is a link for Shaune Bazner hairtoys: http://shaunebazner.com/

A cinnamon bun using two of Mei Fa hairsticks would be very pretty and conservative. :magic:

Kendrix
April 4th, 2016, 05:08 PM
I too worried about whether my toys fit to dress code and the only one that has ever set up an annoying day is my moon. People think it looks like devil horns no matter what angle I use, so I don't wear it. I often wear a french twist held by sticks/ficcare if I am worried about looking too casual, but most of my hair toys pair well with a blazer. That's probably my rule of thumb: does it look out of place with my blazer?

EdG
April 4th, 2016, 06:16 PM
This is what the information they gave me says: "Unnatural hair colors are not allowed."My Silver Swirl is completely natural. :joy:

Hair should be worn in a conservative style.The Silver Swirl is an elegant hair style, the epitome of conservatism. :joy:

For dress they call it "business casual" but it seems a little more formal than that, i.e. men have to wear ties or sport coats unless they're wearing a company polo. Rats, I would flunk that requirement. :lol: :rollin:
Ed

Mavi
April 4th, 2016, 06:22 PM
My general rule is that I try not to wear anything that is going to distract the person I am talking to. This generally means nothing that dangles. When I'm telling someone how to properly administer a medication to their pet I want them to be focusing on what I'm saying, not on a hair toy bauble swinging back and forth. Colour receives a similar vetting process... if it matches my clothes, it will probably not be an issue.
Of course sometimes this doesn't work. Today a client said "Hey, isn't that a ginkgo biloba?" when they saw my wooden fork. It happens, I told him he was the first person to know what it was, he seemed pleased with himself, and everything else went smoothly from there, no further distractions.

chen bao jun
April 5th, 2016, 05:47 AM
A plain ficcare, such as tortoise ought also to work. It can hold a french twist or bun

truepeacenik
April 5th, 2016, 09:38 AM
I discovered hair toys while in a business casual office.
Let's say I made some interesting and unfortunate choices.

I learned that anything cutesy was a fail, overly high contrast with unnatural materials (in my case, light blue in red hair in acrylic) was a sad choice, and streamlined was the winner.

So, sticks without much showing, decorations that are subtle (as defined by what the other women wear as jewelry, especially as earrings- that the closest jewelry analog), zero propeller head, and deciding on any given day if your hair stick/fork will be your main jewelry or subtle worked for me.
Natural woods, metal, natural stones, not a lot of bling factor, and tidy style all made great options.

For the interview, chingon/log roll, bun or braided bun. Spin pins (or how your avatar style is secured), short unobtrusive stick/fork and aloe gel to tame wispiness.
I would not wear anything showing length. Bun the braid. A loose braid might be elegant, but it isn't professional. I heard about it every review.

Cg
April 5th, 2016, 10:53 AM
In my corporate setting, nothing cutesy or flashy would be acceptable. Always bunned, never attention-seeking, is my rule of thumb.

BoopAllCats
April 5th, 2016, 01:22 PM
I work in a casual office, and no one has ever commented on any of my hair toys. Flexis, sticks, forks... they all seem to be acceptable. I wouldn't wear a hair sword or anything that stuck out past my ears, though.

I would say that in a more formal environment you might to start with a stick that blends with your hair color, or perhaps a rectangle barrette holding a lwb.

Zesty
April 5th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice and for sharing your experiences! (And to everyone who congratulated me.) I will get a feel for it and start with safe styles/toys. I appreciate all of you! :flowers:

teal
April 5th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I work in a large office for a very large company, and I've had zero problems with hair toys of all sorts :) Start off with your more boring ones and once people get over a bun with sticks in it, which sticks are in the bun cease to matter in a couple months.

Ditto, and can confirm this also. "Conservative" hairdos are usually updos or tidy-but-inoffensive short styles. Start with natural woods or muted colours coordinated with your outfits. If your tacky-detection-meter is broken (mine certainly is! :lol:), stick with simple designs and dark or natural colours until you get a feel for the office culture and dress code. Err on the side of caution. Doubly so if you're in a fire-at-will state.

Congrats on landing the new job! :flower:

Edit: For what it's worth, my coworkers like seeing the more colourful stuff I've got jammed in my hair. :lol: