PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with different textures...

Anya15
April 3rd, 2016, 06:34 AM
Hello! :)

I typed my hair at 2b/2c, however this isn't true for the shortest layer of my hair. (It's shoulder length.) The rest of my hair is definitely2b/2c, but this particular layer behaves so differently. (more like 1c). It just doesn't...blend with the rest of my hair. (I believe it'll become wavier as it grows longer?) I personally think it looks very weird. :( How do I deal with it? It's not much of a problem when I have my hair in a braid or bun or a ponytail, but when it's down...

lapushka
April 3rd, 2016, 07:04 AM
Just treat it like the rest of the hair, same routine, same hair treatment(s). Hair usually isn't all uniform all over.

Horrorpops
April 3rd, 2016, 07:12 AM
Yes!!! My hair does this too!! My top layer is always more straight than the wavy lower layers. I have no idea why but it's just how my hair is so I roll with it :o it's been like this since my hair was way shorter, it hasn't changed much as my hair has grown but I treat it exactly the same as the rest of my hair.

You can kind of see it in my length pics, it's straight until the top layer stops where you see some waves.

Sorry I am not of more help :) but you are not alone haha

meteor
April 3rd, 2016, 06:26 PM
I have multi-textured hair, too, and yes, anou, I agree that added length usually helps: it weighs everything down to make everything more uniform.

Back when my hair was in the SL - APL range, I could never know what my hair would look like the next day, because the waves definitely had a life of their own.
Now, it's all fine, but it would be more complicated if my hair was layered, since it gives more movement to all the different sections of hair.

With multi-textured hair layers can be a bit tricky, so if you go for anything other than simple blunt cuts, I'd recommend making sure you go to a pretty good hairdresser (somebody experienced at cutting layers on wavy/curly textured hair) and cut on dry hair to respect the natural texture and the way hair falls naturally.

I think one of the best tricks for multi-textured hair is wet-setting hair (for example, with satin-covered foam rollers or by bunning or braiding hair overnight and sleeping with a silk bonnet/scarf to preserve the style without frizz). This imposes a more uniform texture on the whole mane, and in the morning it's just easy to undo it and rock the bun/braid-waves.

Also oils/serums and doing some variation of the LOC routine can help, I think.

Here are a couple good threads that I think can be of help ;) :
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123021
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-116949.html

Anya15
April 3rd, 2016, 09:02 PM
Thanks all!

Meteor, when I got my hair cut to APL with layers my texture had changed to 1b/1c, so it wasn't a problem. But now it has gone back to 2b/2c. I am just trying to grow the layers out xD I guess I'll try wet-setting. And just wait for this short layer to grow.

meteor
April 3rd, 2016, 09:17 PM
^ Oh yes! :) Sometimes the curls/waves need some length to fully develop: it really depends on the exact type/tightness of curl/wave going on and the length...
And then, the exact way the texture is "expressed" tends to change with the specific type of cut (different layers, blunt, etc) and the length added (great lengths tend to weigh down on the curl pattern and "relax" it somewhat from all that weight). I really hope that wet-setting in your preferred way can help somewhat. :blossom:
Things like diluted conditioner (which works like a setting lotion) or flaxseed gel (for hold) can really help with wet-sets, too.

spirals
April 3rd, 2016, 09:28 PM
Just treat it like the rest of the hair, same routine, same hair treatment(s). Hair usually isn't all uniform all over.

This is what I do. I have mostly 2c/3a but there are 1b strands above my ears.