PDA

View Full Version : Need an advice

Stray_mind
April 3rd, 2016, 05:13 AM
Hey, guys,

My hair gets wet really hard, i have to run the water on it for a long time and it still feels like it's only damp, the strand of my hair floats in the water and it dries really fast in the air. Does it mean it's low porosity?

If so, what products should i use to properly hydrate my hair?

lapushka
April 3rd, 2016, 05:20 AM
It takes a lot more to "test" for porosity. If your hair can tolerate chemical processes and dyeing processes well, it's probably "normal" porosity. Low porosity hair can't tolerate dye or perms or the like, so it is *very* exceptional. I don't like people throwing "low porosity" around in vain. It really is very rare.

My hair is normal porosity and it takes a long time to wet down as well. Just comes with having long hair!

Sarahm
April 3rd, 2016, 05:22 AM
Since I have normal porosity hair, I can't give you a lot of advice on how to deal with your issue. But I found a website article about moisturizing low porosity hair for you: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.be/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

I hope you'll be able to find some answers there. :)

Stray_mind
April 3rd, 2016, 05:23 AM
It takes a lot more to "test" for porosity. If your hair can tolerate chemical processes and dyeing processes well, it's probably "normal" porosity. Low porosity hair can't tolerate dye or perms or the like, so it is *very* exceptional. I don't like people throwing "low porosity" around in vain. It really is very rare.

My hair is normal porosity and it takes a long time to wet down as well. Just comes with having long hair!

But it's allways been like that. And what do you mean by "can't tolerate chemical processes"?

Sarahm
April 3rd, 2016, 09:21 AM
But it's allways been like that. And what do you mean by "can't tolerate chemical processes"?

On the Naturally Curly website, they say that 'Low porosity hair repels moisture when you try to wet it and is hard to process since it resists penetration of chemicals.' Maybe that's what Lapushka means?

Wusel
April 3rd, 2016, 09:28 AM
Hey, guys,

My hair gets wet really hard, i have to run the water on it for a long time and it still feels like it's only damp, the strand of my hair floats in the water and it dries really fast in the air. Does it mean it's low porosity?

If so, what products should i use to properly hydrate my hair?

Same for me. It takes a while to get it wet and it dries extremely fast. I've made a thread about it some weeks ago but can't find it now...

Edit: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136936 here it is :)

lapushka
April 3rd, 2016, 09:30 AM
On the Naturally Curly website, they say that 'Low porosity hair repels moisture when you try to wet it and is hard to process since it resists penetration of chemicals.' Maybe that's what Lapushka means?

Exactly. :) So it's *very* rare! Most hair can take dye and perming. Or hairdressers would have a lot to contend with, I think. ;)

Stray_mind
April 3rd, 2016, 10:49 AM
Hmmm. I don't know. My hair does take the dye pretty averagely. It's floating in the water for quite a long time and doesn't get wet easilly, but it dries in 15 or 20 minutes and afterwards feels very dry even if i put oil or conditioner in it.

Anje
April 3rd, 2016, 01:30 PM
So, if you're hair is slow to absorb stuff, probably the best thing you can do when it's dry is apply conditioning products for longer and keep them warm during the process. I'm really fond of SMTs for moisture -- you might want to leave them in a bit longer (maybe 45 minutes instead of 30, there's still no reason to do this for hours as you'll just get sticky and perhaps give your hair hygral fatigue) and make sure it's nice and warm when you put it in. Maybe get a heat cap for deep treatments.

The good thing is that if your hair is low porosity, it probably doesn't need much hydration. And if it's normal, what I've suggested above won't hurt anything.