PDA

View Full Version : Today's shed count: 200

Samikha
October 15th, 2008, 01:36 PM
First of all, I'm not freaking out. I've been stressed lately, it's autumn, I have thick hair etc. I'm not worried. I am, however, somewhat amused that all this hair dropped from my head. And there are still some hairs in there that haven't dropped out.

However, out of curiosity: those of you who have counted your shed hairs lately, what was your number?

LaurelSpring
October 15th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I was freaking out about 50 but its been better lately.

NightDaemon
October 15th, 2008, 01:50 PM
More than I can count due to large-scale detangling.

hennared
October 15th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I have been shedding on average about 100 in the morning alone, for the 3 months I've counted.

I have it logged, since I've been definitely losing hair. I log it to see if anything I'm doing to stem the shed is helping!

A one time count of 200 would be no great big deal to me, *if* I was basically maintaining my former thickness. I never counted before I noticed how thin the ponytail had got.

Juneii
October 15th, 2008, 10:27 PM
and here I feel sad when I count out 20 strands in the morning >__<

if I actually sit down and count the number I lose I think it would go to 50-75 strands a day

Chrissy
October 15th, 2008, 10:49 PM
So do people actually sit there and count there shed hair? I've always wondered this. If so why? I'm not trying to be snarky, it just seems like such a tedious waste of time. I just think hair sheds and regrows in different phases. To me unless it's coming out in big clumps it's nothing to worry about; or is there something I'm missing? If so please educate me! I've been a member here for years and have always wanted to ask this without offending anyone. Thanks! :)

Samikha
October 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM
So do people actually sit there and count there shed hair? I've always wondered this. If so why? I'm not trying to be snarky, it just seems like such a tedious waste of time. I just think hair sheds and regrows in different phases. To me unless it's coming out in big clumps it's nothing to worry about; or is there something I'm missing? If so please educate me! I've been a member here for years and have always wanted to ask this without offending anyone. Thanks! :)

I don't usually do this, but when all this hair came out I got curious and wondered, how much is there really in there? And I suppose for those seeking an increase in thickness it could be helpful to monitor their shed rate as well as their circumference to see if what they're doing has any effect. And since I counted yesterday, I did today as well, and I must say 70 is a much nicer number than two hundred:cool:

manderly
October 15th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I stopped counting at around 150 last time.

I am also terribly amused at how so much hair can fall out of my head on a daily basis and I'm not bald. It fuddles my mind. My mind is befuddled.

Xanthippe
October 16th, 2008, 01:31 AM
So are you counting hair from combing out your hair in the morning? I usually detangle once in the morning and once in the evening, so I guess I'd have to add the numbers together to get a daily shed count. I've never done that before, but I'm curious now. Just guesstimating now, I got something like 50 sheds. I'd guess I shed that much about four times a day, but I've never counted.

It fuddles my mind. My mind is befuddled.

Heehee! :lol:

hennared
October 16th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Chrissy, I started counting my shed hairs because there obviously WAS a problem;
a problem defined by my ponytail circumference going down by 30&#37;, and other
signs of noticeable thinning; that is, knowing I'm losing hair w/o regrowth. I count to
see if dietary and other changes I am making are making a difference in my shedding.

Hair loss is not exactly an uncommon problem in women. Yet, others luckily never
experience it. For us UNlucky ones, however.... counting is a way of attempting some
control/understanding of what is happening.

IMHO.

Samikha
October 16th, 2008, 10:31 AM
and here I feel sad when I count out 20 strands in the morning >__<

if I actually sit down and count the number I lose I think it would go to 50-75 strands a day

Yeah, I had around sixty-some the last time it was enough that I counted it, sometime this summer. That seems fairly normal.

I stopped counting at around 150 last time.

I am also terribly amused at how so much hair can fall out of my head on a daily basis and I'm not bald. It fuddles my mind. My mind is befuddled.

We are two befuddled ones:D Seriously though, this isn't normal for me, so I expect it to stop soon or at least lessen. But it's kinda funny, isn't it? One hair, two hairs, one hundred and seventy-three hairs...

So are you counting hair from combing out your hair in the morning? I usually detangle once in the morning and once in the evening, so I guess I'd have to add the numbers together to get a daily shed count. I've never done that before, but I'm curious now. Just guesstimating now, I got something like 50 sheds. I'd guess I shed that much about four times a day, but I've never counted.

From combing out in the morning, yes. My hair is not prone to tangling, so combing is mostly to get the shed hairs out and to make it look nicer. Plus, I love combing my hair:o I'd be interested in knowing what your numbers are! Not that it really matters, but you know, morbid curiosity and that stuff.

FrannyG
October 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM
How long was it since you last combed your hair before this count? If you haven't washed your hair for a few days, or if you've kept it bunned, you could have a few days worth of shed hair there. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, at this point.

LaurelSpring
October 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM

I never counted until I noticed there was definately something out of the ordinary going on. I didnt know whether to worry or not worry ( people here talk about their summer shed) because I had no frame of reference for what was normal for me. The only way to establish "normal" was to start counting and also find out from others what is normal for them.

Iylivarae
October 16th, 2008, 10:42 AM
At the moment I mostly count about 50, which is ok, because I only lose hairs while combing. A while ago, I counted over 500, but that was my SD kicking in.

spidermom
October 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Nope - I've never counted my shed hairs, and I never will. The one time I noticed that I seemed to be shedding a lot more than normal, I reviewed my routine and my diet, made improvements where I thought improvements could be made, and went on with my life. Once the hairs have been shed, there's nothing you can do for those hairs anyway, so why count them? Be more concerned about the hairs still on your head; spend your counting time doing something constructive for the hairs you still have.

hennared
October 16th, 2008, 12:20 PM
First, I realize I'm taking this a bit too personally, forgive me. But, second:

I consider understanding my health issues to better manage them 'constructive'.

If hair sheds excessively over months, for no apparent reason, and hair suddenly becomes _much_ thinner, 'getting on with your life' is a bit more challenging, and it can indicate a condition worth knowing about (ie, thyroid). If you never had a hair loss issue, I think it's difficult to relate to.

This is NOT to say anyone shedding a bit more than normal should be alarmed. But in my case, I had a reason to be alarmed. Believe me, I really have better things to do than count my shed hair for no good reason.

Ok I'll stop being slightly offended, now...

Samikha
October 17th, 2008, 12:50 AM
How long was it since you last combed your hair before this count? If you haven't washed your hair for a few days, or if you've kept it bunned, you could have a few days worth of shed hair there. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, at this point.

And I am not :) I wash a lot less these days, so most of my hair will come out during combing. I don't worry about it or think about it much. There's just something amusing about such a high number;)

Once the hairs have been shed, there's nothing you can do for those hairs anyway, so why count them? Be more concerned about the hairs still on your head; spend your counting time doing something constructive for the hairs you still have.

Well, in my case it was purely for my own amusement. It's not a habit and I doubt it will ever become one. It just struck me as funny to count the individual strands in the hair ball I was left with. Then again, I have a strange sense of humour.

But I will argue that for those concerned with shedding and thinning hair, counting sheds and measuring circumference is pretty much the only thing that will give them an indication of where they stand and if wht they're trying is making any progress. Of course there is nothing you can do about it, but at least you know where you're at.

I consider understanding my health issues to better manage them 'constructive'.

If hair sheds excessively over months, for no apparent reason, and hair suddenly becomes _much_ thinner, 'getting on with your life' is a bit more challenging, and it can indicate a condition worth knowing about (ie, thyroid). If you never had a hair loss issue, I think it's difficult to relate to.

Yes, this is what I mean. It's a way of mapping changes and seeing how it's doing for those that need it. For tose of us with quite thick hair it is difficult to understand that small changes can matter. And some people worry overmuch about their shedding; counting and discovering it ain't that bad can be calming.

Nat242
October 17th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I've never counted - I seem to shed a fairly steady amount, and my hair is still fairly thick, and I can see myself getting overly stressed or obsessed if I started counting.

However, I do see that it could be useful if you do have a possible health problem - especially as a way to map improvement or other changes, and to see if treatments are being effective.

In sum, I have no idea how much I shed!

Lilibet
October 17th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I've been shedding a lot more for the past couple of months, I've not counted before but curiousity and reading this thread has got the better of me, so I'm going to count next time I wash.

Little_Bird
October 17th, 2008, 06:53 AM
My last count was after washing my hair 2 weeks ago (I wash once a week only) and it was about 450 strands.

I think I win... :rolleyes:

Samikha
October 17th, 2008, 07:05 AM
My last count was after washing my hair 2 weeks ago (I wash once a week only) and it was about 450 strands.

I think I win... :rolleyes:

Curses! You beat me!:D

Chrissy
October 17th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Sorry I've been amiss. We just moved. Thanks to those who explained why they count. :) I appreciate that. I always ask questions if I don't understand something. I hope those of you who are shedding a lot can find a solution. Good luck and great growing! Have a great day all of you.

rhubarbarin
October 17th, 2008, 08:34 AM
The last time I counted sheds after a wash (2 1/2 days since the last wash, my hair had been up most of that time, and I don't brush or comb my hair) I got 342 hairs. That's somewhere around 140 hairs a day.

This is normal for me. I have average thickness (2.5" circ), and I shed like crazy, just like my mom.

Manderly, I wonder sometimes too how I still have hair!

I have a lot of short hairs all around my hairline (always have - you should have seen my halo as a kid, and I always have fuzzy nape and ear curls) that never grow longer that 8", and about half the sheds I count are between 6-8". So that's one reason my circ. isn't affected.

mellie
October 17th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I have tried counting a few different times. I shed way less now that I use henna instead of chemical dye, and also way less using soapnuts than commercial shampoo. So compared to back then which would have been over 50 on an average day, all that I've noticed lately is maybe 15 or so! Yay!! Much less disturbing to clean the bathtub drain!

BrownieLocks
October 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Yes, I count everyday. I only lose two hairs o_o;.

angelthadiva
October 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks for asking the ??? Chrissy!! I often wondered that myself.

I very carefully viewed this thread and made note of the hair types, and thicknesses in those who were experiencing the most shedding...Guess what? It was the members with the thicker hair.

My hair is on the thicker side as well, I've never counted my sheds, but I do notice having my hair up more (nearly a year now) had drastically decreased my shedding. I can't say that this is the only reason, but I have been taking better care of my hair this last year...The longer I stretch out washings; the more shedding I see.

I had been saving my sheds to make a hair rat...Between myself and DD we've had enough sheds this year to create one, and we are working on #2. :D

BrownieLocks
October 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM
My hair is very thick, and yet on average I lose 2-4 strands of hair a day. Usually closer to 2.

spidermom
October 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I apologize for offending. My main concern about counting shed hairs is that this is likely to cause anxiety, which can then increase shedding. I had a massive shedding myself at the end of summer 2005. I was literally leaving piles of hair on the floor when I combed. So I do understand how alarming this can be. I wish you well and hope the shedding stops soon. Be prepared for a halo of sticky-out, short baby hairs.

LaurelSpring
October 17th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I apologize for offending. My main concern about counting shed hairs is that this is likely to cause anxiety, which can then increase shedding. I had a massive shedding myself at the end of summer 2005. I was literally leaving piles of hair on the floor when I combed. So I do understand how alarming this can be. I wish you well and hope the shedding stops soon. Be prepared for a halo of sticky-out, short baby hairs.

I think in my case the counting initially increased my anxiety( anxiety over the shedding caused the desire to count) but then decreased it when I was able to post and get some feedback on what was a normal range. I just really needed to know...ya know?