PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching already bleached hair?

grecianmermaid
April 3rd, 2016, 03:02 AM
Hi everyone! I've been trying to grow out my hair since an unfortunate big chop back in january 2015. I had to cut it all off as my hair was extremely over processed, as I bleach my hair blonde with highlights. I also got lowlights in order to lessen the damage I was doing when dying it.

I've babied my hair and now my hair is nearly waist length! However, for the summer I want to dye my hair back to light blonde, but im scared of over processing it again! ... So what I wanted to know is ' can u redye already bleached hair lighter?'

Maybe I need to ask this to a hairdresser, but i'm scared that they won't be honest and care about the health of my hair.

Thank you!

Wusel
April 3rd, 2016, 03:27 AM
I tend to advising you against it... You had to cut it once because it was over processed and now you want to take that risk again and eventually loose al that length?

lapushka
April 3rd, 2016, 03:28 AM
Lowlights is not that much less damage, TBH. It's the very same only a dye goes over the bleach. It's not a regular dye. It's bleach that is toned with a dye.

I think you're in for another disaster if you keep bleaching it, IMMHO. :flower: You don't have to believe me, but I've been there, way too many times, and both times I ended up with a chin length bob again. It never got long. But if you prefer that over length, go for it. I'm not saying you can't have long bleached hair, because you can, but processing already processed hair is dangerous.

shu217
April 3rd, 2016, 05:05 AM
You already no bleaching changes the chemical structure of the hair. There are products that can help afterwards. Olaplex helps before, during, and after use of bleach and dyes. Find a salon that uses it. It is worth it for your hair. Two coworkers use it and swear by it. One has waist length bleached hair.

Nellon
April 3rd, 2016, 05:24 AM
Well... that means your virgin hair is to about ear length, or ear lobe length. So that's new and healthy hair that could probably take the bleach if done right. About the rest... Who knows. But be prepared to chop a bit off if you go through with it I'd say.

I think, if it was me, I'd wait another year before going for the bleach, just to have the hair a chance to rest and grow out healthy. Boring, I know ;) But not worth the risk, imo!

Or, if you're badly bitten by the blonde bug :) i guess you could risk it, and possibly have to cut a bit off... But I'd wait at least half a year more.. If not more.

ETA: another thought.. perhaps you could compromise and get some few thin thin highlights on your virgin hair (so called baby lights) on the top of your head, and where it shows when you put your hair up... Just having those thin highlights around the face and on the top layers might make a big difference. That way you might not have to process the length of your hair at all! Just have them paint the highlights so that they meet they blonde bits :)

Just some thoughts :) Good luck with whatever you decide.

grecianmermaid
April 3rd, 2016, 06:10 AM
I don't really want to lighten my hair, as I really want to make it healthy. However, I have a huge family event and hundreds, maybe thousands of people are going to be there, and its important to look good, and I personally think I look prettiest with brighter blonde hair, hence why i want to brighten it. However after this summer, i'm not dying my hair for as long as possible

Nellon
April 3rd, 2016, 06:35 AM
Aw, sweetie! If you don't want to do it, please don't!! It's your hair and you need to like it. Are there other ways to look your best for this event you can think of? Putting it up, sticking some flowers in your hair, wearing a nice dress... Nice makeup? Please don't destroy your hair because you think that's what's expected of you! Whatever you do you should do it for you, not for someone else! :heart:

Horrorpops
April 3rd, 2016, 06:49 AM
I think most hairdressers don't like bleaching previously lightened hair, as the damage can be greater then bleaching virgin hair. However it is done a lot, so I guess should could if you really want to. Although by your second post you don't seem that keen! :o

Frankenstein
April 3rd, 2016, 08:20 AM
You can lighten bleached hair but I wouldn't recommend it. I lightened all of my hair two times after having it bleached and it broke off from past waist all the way to shoulder/APL... But it's ultimately up to you.

Nellon
April 3rd, 2016, 09:14 AM
What's your natural hair colour?

*Stella*
April 3rd, 2016, 10:20 AM
Just remember that bleach damage (any chemical damage) is permanent and cumulative, so it all adds up over time.

Wusel
April 3rd, 2016, 11:51 AM
I don't really want to lighten my hair, as I really want to make it healthy. However, I have a huge family event and hundreds, maybe thousands of people are going to be there, and its important to look good, and I personally think I look prettiest with brighter blonde hair, hence why i want to brighten it. However after this summer, i'm not dying my hair for as long as possible

You want to kill your hair because of a family event...? Think about this: There's quite a big chance that after frying the color out of your hair you go to the event WITHOUT hair.

meteor
April 3rd, 2016, 12:01 PM
Hi everyone! I've been trying to grow out my hair since an unfortunate big chop back in january 2015. I had to cut it all off as my hair was extremely over processed, as I bleach my hair blonde with highlights. I also got lowlights in order to lessen the damage I was doing when dying it.

I've babied my hair and now my hair is nearly waist length! However, for the summer I want to dye my hair back to light blonde, but im scared of over processing it again! ... So what I wanted to know is ' can u redye already bleached hair lighter?'

Maybe I need to ask this to a hairdresser, but i'm scared that they won't be honest and care about the health of my hair.

Thank you!

First of all, low-lights are usually done with dye with peroxide, as well, for better lasting power. You cannot make hair "healthier" with low-lights, you can, at best, just use toner (deposit-only, without developer) to create low-lights, but even in that case:
1) you have to double-check that your colorist actually uses peroxide-free product on you (they often prefer demis instead, so you need to discuss this in advance);
2) if underneath that, the color has already been lifted, then that damage is still there. Damage is cumulative, because hair is dead and cannot be permanently "restored".

If your plan is to grow hair much longer in great condition, bleach should probably kept to an absolute minimum, unfortunately, I'm sorry. :flower: It's just that damaging. It's really hard to keep hair just as long (without splitting), thick (without added taper) and shiny as it would naturally be, with repeated peroxide treatments.

If you do decide to resort to bleach, please look into the following things that can slightly help with damage control:
- coconut oil or argan oil + coconut oil as a heavy pre-bleach soak (without washing it out): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495
- hydrolyzed protein treatments for temporary patch-repair (e.g. Aphogee 2 Step, Joico K-Pak Reconstruct, Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus, DIY gelatin masks: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html)
- read up on Olaplex: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=124721
- 18-MEA and ceramides in products: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120288

Just remember that bleach damage (any chemical damage) is permanent and cumulative, so it all adds up over time.

Absolutely! :agree:

To give an illustration, here is microscopic photography of strands after 15 minutes and 30 minutes of bleach treatments (6% vs. 9% vs. untreated hair), separately after one treatment, and then after 2 treatments - so you can see the cumulative effect:
https://everydaybiochemistry.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/scanning-electron-microscope-hair.jpg

Aw, sweetie! If you don't want to do it, please don't!! It's your hair and you need to like it. Are there other ways to look your best for this event you can think of? Putting it up, sticking some flowers in your hair, wearing a nice dress... Nice makeup? Please don't destroy your hair because you think that's what's expected of you! Whatever you do you should do it for you, not for someone else! :heart:

I absolutely agree with Nellon! :agree:

There will always be important events that can keep you feeling like you need that one more bleach job before stopping (I swear, highlighting can be like an addiction! And I've been addicted to highlights myself, so I know it can be a tough habit to break.)

I would look into things like light blonde wigs or maybe Halo (a.k.a. Hidden Crown) extensions (for the under-lights effect), if you really want to look much blonder for an event.
Also, try half-ups, accent braids, crown-braids, Dutch/French/lace braids - they all help break up the demarcation line and work beautifully with root-y hair colors and ombres.

In the long run, try to figure out what ideal color you want in the long term and what you can live with (as in: root maintenance, overall quality and damage control, etc...) - try to imagine the end result of the hair you want in the *long* term, and then reverse-engineer from that back to now and how to treat hair now to get there in the future. I'm sure you'll get lots of support on the LHC about how to get there! :flower:

Best of luck, grecianmermaid! :D And happy growing! :cheer:

Centaurée
April 5th, 2016, 07:48 AM
You should use a colour B4, it takes off chemical dye to show only your base colour. Once you've done that, your hair is a bit dry but it doesn't really damage it! You can then tone down the warmness of your hair with violet semi-dye in white conditioner (+ you get to condition after the treatment) and you're good to go.

AJNinami
April 6th, 2016, 10:01 AM
I'm going to throw this video in here, just because I found it interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoIQElEG9c8

I recently over-processed my hair by bleaching 3 times and toning with high developer toner (about 5 or 6 months ago) and just this past weekend I went to one of two high school proms I have to attend this year. My natural hair is a golden blonde, but my bleach is pure platinum. I'll admit, it does look a little weird. BUT I went on pinterest and found an updo involving braiding the scalp hair (this hides the demarcation line) and honestly my hair has never looked prettier in an updo. You can't let other people's opinions damage your own goals and what you want to do. Especially if what you're doing is for a good reason. It's only one day, right? Would you rather say you did what YOU want for YOU, or damaged your hair yet again for the sake of other people thinking you look nice for a day. I'm sorry if this is coming across as harsh, but it's something I've had to tell myself recently.

I will tell you, over-processed hair is not fun to deal with. Mine doesn't pull out of itself like hers does in the video, but it tangles like no other, has endless splits and only looks nice one day a week.

Wusel
April 6th, 2016, 01:59 PM
You can't let other people's opinions damage your own goals and what you want to do. Especially if what you're doing is for a good reason. It's only one day, right? Would you rather say you did what YOU want for YOU, or damaged your hair yet again for the sake of other people thinking you look nice for a day. I'm sorry if this is coming across as harsh, but it's something I've had to tell myself recently.

You are a smart girl, AJNinami. Exactly my opinion.