PDA

View Full Version : Best for my hair - wanting tips

Tyrinaniel
October 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hello once again!

Since you all were so helpful to me in the other thread, I've done a lot of reading, thinking, and trying to decide what's best to do for my hair.

Right now I'm still job hunting. (I'm not blaming the economy like everyone else. The Dow's up on the rise, get happy!) So, all I'm doing right now is just buying shampoo and conditioner. Nothing special can be done to my hair since I can't really afford it. My water isn't hard, and so far my hair's been pretty decent.

The things I can't stand that my hair has/is doing:

Shedding: While it isn't bad, I notice my hairs in various places. My boyfriend says that when I leave his car, he'll find a hair or two float onto his arm :p He finds it funny, but it kind of makes me worried.

Fly-aways: Is this normal? I've seen torrinpaige (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige) hair on youtube, and I don't see one fly-away in her hair, who's hair I just adorrree. These fly aways have gotten longer, but I still have some shorties in there. I thought it might be from wearing my hair up a lot, though I don't use any metal in my ponytail holders. They're soft, elastic, and I love them.

Oily: Well, after 2 days I've tested how my hair reacts, and it seems to get oily at the crown and forehead area. The rest of my hair isn't as bad, though from reading, I've notice most wash their hair every 3-4 days. Right now I'm just sticking to every other day. My dad used to have long hair in the 70's, which he kept nice and clean and he was very proud of :D Metal head. Anyway. He had a problem with oily hair until a friend told him to wash in the morning. I usually do also, right after my workout.

So, what would any of you suggest I do on any of these points? I think that I'm doing a decent job. My hair gets too dry if I wash every day. During this season going into the winter, my hair easily acquires static, though during the summer I barely have dry hair problems. I haven't been as hair concious until the past few years, and I've mostly had long hair. I tried cutting it because of the head aches I'd get. Though, now that I've found this forum, I want my hair long again, since many of you have great tips on good hairstyles that won't give a head ache.

You all rock :cheese:

Blessings,
~Tyrin

dor3girl
October 15th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Cutting down on fats in your diet might help with the oily scalp. Also, if you avoid clarifying shampoos or shampoos that strip the oils--what happens is, they dry the scalp & then the glands produce MORE oil to compensate... Also--keep the intensive conditioners to the ends, or where the hair is dryest. Have you tried the CWC method? Some people with oily scalp seem to like this (as the scalp gets clean, but the hair gets extra care).

Leabhar
October 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM
What shampoos and conditioner are you using? It might be too strong for your scalp, stripping the oils when you wash, making your scalp overcompensate.

One easy fix for that would be to dilute the shampoo if you don't already, and to add a dilute vinegar rinse to restore acid to your scalp.

I have tons of flyaways! Unless I'm taking pictures (and even then) I just deal with them. You can try water, dilute conditioner, or any aloe-glycerin-Xmaterial mix people use. Check out the recipe boards for tons more.

Islandgrrl
October 15th, 2008, 02:00 PM
The things I can't stand that my hair has/is doing:

Shedding: While it isn't bad, I notice my hairs in various places. My boyfriend says that when I leave his car, he'll find a hair or two float onto his arm :p He finds it funny, but it kind of makes me worried.

Fly-aways: Is this normal? I've seen torrinpaige (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige) hair on youtube, and I don't see one fly-away in her hair, who's hair I just adorrree. These fly aways have gotten longer, but I still have some shorties in there. I thought it might be from wearing my hair up a lot, though I don't use any metal in my ponytail holders. They're soft, elastic, and I love them.

Oily: Well, after 2 days I've tested how my hair reacts, and it seems to get oily at the crown and forehead area. The rest of my hair isn't as bad, though from reading, I've notice most wash their hair every 3-4 days. Right now I'm just sticking to every other day. My dad used to have long hair in the 70's, which he kept nice and clean and he was very proud of :D Metal head. Anyway. He had a problem with oily hair until a friend told him to wash in the morning. I usually do also, right after my workout.

So, what would any of you suggest I do on any of these points? I think that I'm doing a decent job. My hair gets too dry if I wash every day. During this season going into the winter, my hair easily acquires static, though during the summer I barely have dry hair problems. I haven't been as hair concious until the past few years, and I've mostly had long hair. I tried cutting it because of the head aches I'd get. Though, now that I've found this forum, I want my hair long again, since many of you have great tips on good hairstyles that won't give a head ache.

Shedding: Some shed is normal. I've heard 50-100 hairs a day is within normal limits. While it seems like a lot, consider how many thousands of hairs you have on your head. Normal shedding is the result of individual hairs reaching the end of their growth cycle. They fall out, they start over. If it's a few hairs, no worries. If it's huge amounts, there's something else going on.

Fly-Aways: Since all the hairs on your head are in various stages of growth, even as your hair gets longer you're going to always have shorties in there somewhere. And of course they want to stick out and make their presence known. You might try using a little Aloe Vera gel to try to make them behave. I've personally NEVER had luck with this. They always do what they want.

Oily: I used to wash my hair every day because it was an oil slick if I didn't. I learned though, that by slowly increasing the amount of time in between washes that I could sort of retrain my head into not producing the overabundance of oil I was accustomed to. I now wash every 3-4 days, sometimes I can go as long as 6 days.

As for static, I love, love, love and cannot say enough about Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray. The stuff just smacks the static right off my head. It's pure :magic:.
I used to get headaches from my hair, and I'm not really sure about how to best deal with it. My hair isn't long enough anymore to give me the huge updo headaches. There are others here who have ultralong hair who can better address that. I think it involves correct weight distribution of the updo on the back of the head....

Kirin
October 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
For my own oily hair, I tried stretching washes, but this never worked. Some people's scalp like mine, produces X amount of oil a day, regardless of what else we do. To combat it, I wash 2-4 times a week with a dilluted shampoo. On the non shampoo days, I use V05 clarifying conditioners as a wash, and its worked fantastic for me. I just recently started using LaBella henna & placenta conditioner (which stunk as an after shampoo conditioner) for washing alone, and this has kept my hair almost totally oil free.

AmselJoey
October 15th, 2008, 03:26 PM
As for static, I love, love, love and cannot say enough about Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray. The stuff just smacks the static right off my head. It's pure :magic:
I TOTALLY second that. I started using it this summer and that plus a little extra aloe vera tames my frizz like nothing else. I'm addicted to the stuff!!! :rockerdud

<She>
October 15th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I agree with everything said above, and I could mention the shampoo ingredients - is your shampoo rich with emollients or silicones or conditioning agents? That could also be a reason for the scalp to get oily quickly. If it is and you use it all the time i.e. not alternate with other shampoo, you could have build-up.

Tyrinaniel
October 16th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Thank you all for your input so far!!

To answer some questions, I'm currently using V05 shampoo for normal hair, and the conditioner is V05 fruit smoothie (sounds so yummy!). I tried CWC last time and my hair was definitely more smooth and I had no trouble with static. I've been trying every other day, and so far I haven't had as much trouble with the oiliness. I may stick to this and post the progress. Before this I used to use Suave Shampoo + Conditioner, but that was because my mom was being nice and helping me out. When I do have a job (sniff) I buy my own products easily. Right now it's just tough. *Rants under breath.*

By-the-way, I haven't really looked at my hair to see the length, but it's growing even faster than I think. Before I thought it was barely shoulder length, but it's actually almost past my shoulders. I've never been impatient for my hair to grow before.

Sorry if I sound like a geek. It's because I am! :cheese:

Blessings,
~Tyrin

plainjanegirl
October 16th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I recently found torrinpaige's videos on youtube. And I adore her hair too. It is so thick looking and healthy looking.

Welcome to the LHC.

A word of advice don't try a bunch of new things at once. Pick something and try it for a week or two and then evaluate and go from there.

Tyrinaniel
December 3rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Just an update. I've tried the "every other day" method and it's working great. Next I'd really love to buy some horn combs. I have a horrible plastic comb that puts static in my hair. I rarely use it unless I need to part my hair. I have a bristle brush and larger-toothed that are good on my hair, though. I'm quite proud of myself.

By the way, my hair was almost chin length, and now it's down to about 13 inches.

Old:

That's a Cookie Puppy, by-the-way. There's a story behind it dealing with a Puppy shaped like a Cookie....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/fire_senshi/MeCookiePuppy.jpg

New:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/fire_senshi/000_4426.jpg