PDA

View Full Version : (Frustrating) bangs question

Llama
April 1st, 2016, 04:09 PM
So I've always had some sort of bangs and have liked them alright I guess. But the last time I cut them I couldn't get them to blend all that well. Looks like it just goes from bangs to long hair in the front if that makes sense.
I cut them a couple months ago and I still don't like them. They almost reach my jawbone but not quite. I feel like they look pretty awkward so I always pin them back. I'm sure if I curled them back a little it would look alright but I don't know if I want to get into the habit of using heat on my bangs...
I'm wondering if I just keep pushing/pinning them away from my face if eventually it wouldn't bother me so much once they have grown more. I don't think I've ever grown them out as far as my collarbone but maybe it would look less awkward there?
Or would it still look weird since my bangs are so separate looking from the rest of my hair?
Has anyone tried growing out awkward bangs and found it looked better at a longer length?

lapushka
April 1st, 2016, 04:23 PM
I think it will get better once it gets past chin length. Collarbone and it will already feel like part of the rest of your hair. Hang in there! Don't go cutting them back in, especially not if you don't like them. :)

Llama
April 1st, 2016, 04:47 PM
Thanks Lapushka :) I have grown them to a little past my chin and that's usually when I feel the need to cut them. I am going to really try to grow them out longer.

Zesty
April 1st, 2016, 05:03 PM
I grew out weird bangs similar to what you're describing (my roommate had been cutting them for me and there was definitely the "separate" look).They softened up and looked better starting at about collarbone, and after that they just looked like a layer. I actually got compliments here on the LHC on my "haircut" which was really just grown out bangs and extremely neglected "face-framing" layers. :p

Hope that helps, not sure if it answers your question. :flower:

ETA: This is what they looked like: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=97054

Llama
April 1st, 2016, 05:57 PM
I grew out weird bangs similar to what you're describing (my roommate had been cutting them for me and there was definitely the "separate" look).They softened up and looked better starting at about collarbone, and after that they just looked like a layer. I actually got compliments here on the LHC on my "haircut" which was really just grown out bangs and extremely neglected "face-framing" layers. :p

Hope that helps, not sure if it answers your question. :flower:

ETA: This is what they looked like: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=97054

Yes! I think that is what I will aim for. Just looks like a nice face framing layer- doesn't look like a block of hair or anything. Thank you, Zesty!

Horrorpops
April 1st, 2016, 06:07 PM
Ummm, I think I found my bangs much less awkward when they were past chin because that's when they became long enough to stay in a pony tail or bun!

As far as the bangs/front hair contrast the only real way I know to fix that is either grow out the bangs (like you are already doing :o) or cut layers into the front hairs. Basically you're looking for something to bridge the divide.

Loktra
April 1st, 2016, 06:11 PM
I believe I have the kind of bangs you are describing. Growing them out now, last time I tried I got a little past chin.
They were really blunt bangs with no blending to speak of, so when they got that long I just sort of feathered/blended/whatchcalledit them myself so they looked better left out of updos.
That meant that if I had kept growing them they'd not be as blunt as the rest of my hair, but it made them look good in the meantime.

Horrorpops
April 1st, 2016, 06:14 PM
I believe I have the kind of bangs you are describing. Growing them out now, last time I tried I got a little past chin.
They were really blunt bangs with no blending to speak of, so when they got that long I just sort of feathered/blended/whatchcalledit them myself so they looked better left out of updos.
That meant that if I had kept growing them they'd not be as blunt as the rest of my hair, but it made them look good in the meantime.

Yes this! I am also a strong believer in bang shaping as they grow out to keep them looking nice and blending well. I did mine myself, but if you have a trusted hair dresser that would work as well, just little trims as they grow to maybe turn front bangs to more layered side bangs etc :)

MsBubbles
April 1st, 2016, 08:38 PM
I have the same situation with my front shorter pieces. I just blamed it on my hair type. It hangs like strings.

Llama
April 1st, 2016, 09:21 PM
I feel like I was blending them for an hour back when I cut them and it still looked off. I didn't want to thin them out too much so I gave up and just accepted they wouldn't' look right. I don't have a trusted stylist at the moment or else I would have someone else have a go at it. Bangs are so much work when you are doing them on yourself!

Horrorpops
April 2nd, 2016, 05:39 AM
I feel like I was blending them for an hour back when I cut them and it still looked off. I didn't want to thin them out too much so I gave up and just accepted they wouldn't' look right. I don't have a trusted stylist at the moment or else I would have someone else have a go at it. Bangs are so much work when you are doing them on yourself!
Ahh that's a pity - that's true about the work they require!! As I said above it really does get better with time, so maybe pinning and braiding them back is the best option. :o