PDA

View Full Version : Classic maintainers!

lapushka
April 1st, 2016, 04:52 AM
I don't know if there is a real need for this thread, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. A thread for those of us who are maintaining classic, temporarily or indefinitely. Or, those of us wanting to maintain it in the future.

Who are you?

I am maintaining since I reached my goal in September 2015. Cutting my growth off as it gets here. Hi! :waving:

Simsy
April 1st, 2016, 04:54 AM
Hi:joy:, I'm considering maintaining at classic when I get there, just so I can decide where to go from there. Lovely idea for a thread.

endersworld
April 1st, 2016, 05:27 AM
I'm starting to think I may maintain at classic for a while. My hair is almost to the point where it's getting in my way more than it's providing me joy, and I always said that once it hit that point, I would cut it back and maintain. I'm a few inches from classic now, so there or slightly past seems like a good place to stop.

Theobroma
April 1st, 2016, 05:56 AM
This is the thread for me. :)

I just reached classic wurly after being at classic stretched for well over a year. Somehow the microtrims were always a tiny fraction less than my monthly growth, so a couple of extra inches crept up on me almost without my noticing. I have at least another three years of maintaining ahead of me to grow out the epic taper from my disastrous CO-washing hair loss, and I strongly suspect that I don't want to grow any longer in any case. Classic seems to be my sweet spot -- long enough to feel long, but not long enough to be too annoying when it's down.

Long story short: I'm subscribing to this thread. :)

lapushka
April 1st, 2016, 06:19 AM
Yay, welcome you guys! :D

Robot Ninja
April 1st, 2016, 07:25 AM
I'm pretty much maintaining at classic until I grow out my chemical dye. I keep going back and forth between wanting to maintain and wanting to grow longer, but then I get into a "yes, I should maintain" phase and grab the scissors, so I've only gained maybe an inch or two in the last year and a half.

Anya15
April 1st, 2016, 07:59 AM
I want to do this in the future. I have been thinking of growing till classic, and then maintaining it there till my other layers catch up. Then, I'll grow to terminal :D

MlleMC
April 1st, 2016, 08:12 AM
I'm considering it, but I'm not sure yet. I'm still an inch from classic anyway, so I'll wait until I actually reach it before I decide. I'd like to grow my hair longer, but I have about 6 inches of damage that I maybe should trim before growing longer...

Swan Maiden
April 1st, 2016, 08:28 AM
I'm here. I scraped in at Classic in December. I have been maintaining since then. I plan to maintain until my post partum shed and undercut (currently at bsl+-waist) catch up.

Once my thickness has regained in the lengths, I might travel to mid thigh or knee. I am happy with classic length as it is not extremely long or difficult to care for at this point. I would never go past knee I think.

MsPharaohMoan
April 1st, 2016, 09:01 AM
SOON... Soon...

LongCurlyTress
April 1st, 2016, 10:26 AM
Hey lapushka! Thank you for starting this thread!! Great idea... My goal is classic at 42 inches however, I am having a tough time just getting to TBL=37 in (@35in now) as I am still cutting out layers from June, 2014. My hair is very thick and heavy so once I reach classic, I am just going to stay put!! and hope my hair stays in my head due to increased shedding and breaking from tangling at the longer lengths. Unfortunately, layers create too many areas for frizzy ends to stick out of braids and buns, they increase tangling due to ends at different lengths velcrowing each other and I don't like the "feel" of the thinnest hemline layer... so this is not an option for me... plus the lower layers seem to get more fairy knots too. I am currently maintaining around...TBL until my layers are cut out... then it's on to---classic, hopefully!! It's all good!! :cheese:

lapushka
April 1st, 2016, 11:12 AM
35 to 42, that's about a years' worth of growth. It's awesome that you're maintaining TBL right now, and I'm sure you'll get to classic before you know it! :D :thumbsup:

MINAKO
April 1st, 2016, 11:18 AM
Me too!! I'm about 3 inches past classic and while i liked the look of fairytailing ends i didn't really enjoy the feel of it so i kept on trimming and my hemline is sorta blunt again, but not really. Will take some time for the thickness to entirely travel down.
Wearing my hair loose is already a struggle so i guess i stay here for a while until i'm used to it at least.

LongCurlyTress
April 1st, 2016, 11:22 AM
35 to 42, that's about a years' worth of growth. It's awesome that you're maintaining TBL right now, and I'm sure you'll get to classic before you know it! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks lapushka!! I hope so!! But... I was at 15 inches in March, 2011 and now at 35inches due to trimming.. so I am averaging 4 inches a year after trimming..:( so, more likely 2 years (about) to give myself some "growing/trimming" room.. lol... My hair grows, or rather plods along.. at 1/2 inch a month... lol... I know this is average for hairgrowth, but geesh... such a slow process!! :( I am happy with the length I am at just in case... ;) Or at least I am telling myself this!! ;D I am just trying to be super realistic so I don't get disappointed....;(

Pearly~91
April 1st, 2016, 12:37 PM
I'm not likely to maintain any time soon, although I might do some trimming after another year or so.

I just wanted to drop in and say that every time I see this thread title my brain reads it as "Classical Maintainers". I spend a split second wondering what sort of classical things are being maintained (music, literature, art?), and thinking how cool it is that there are people talking about preserving old things.

Then I go :doh: Hair. Being kept at Classic length. Right.

That's pretty cool too!

MedusaWarrior
April 1st, 2016, 02:51 PM
I'm maintaining around classic(when my hair is dry) too so that I can thicken up my hemline. The difference in thickness is more noticeable now after my excess shedding from last year.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 1st, 2016, 03:06 PM
Oh, I'm gonna be here when I reach classic! Two and a half inches to go! :joy::bluebiggr

lapushka
April 1st, 2016, 03:15 PM
I just wanted to drop in and say that every time I see this thread title my brain reads it as "Classical Maintainers". I spend a split second wondering what sort of classical things are being maintained (music, literature, art?), and thinking how cool it is that there are people talking about preserving old things.

Then I go :doh: Hair. Being kept at Classic length. Right.

Yeah, I thought the title was rather neat. :p I could have chosen maintaining at classic, but thought this one was more... fun! ;)

LongCurlyTress
April 1st, 2016, 03:19 PM
I'm maintaining around classic(when my hair is dry) too so that I can thicken up my hemline. The difference in thickness is more noticeable now after my excess shedding from last year.

Oh no! Do you know why you had excess shedding? I am so sorry this happened.:flowers: I love your hair!! :blossom:

MedusaWarrior
April 1st, 2016, 04:24 PM
Oh no! Do you know why you had excess shedding? I am so sorry this happened.:flowers: I love your hair!! :blossom:

Yeah it was because I was doing CWC and it wasn't really working for me. I was losing 2-3x more hair than I do now with a normal wash.:doh:

LongCurlyTress
April 1st, 2016, 05:57 PM
Yeah it was because I was doing CWC and it wasn't really working for me. I was losing 2-3x more hair than I do now with a normal wash.:doh:

I have heard that CO washing or even just getting conditioner on your scalp area can cause increased shedding. At least for me, it does seem like this happens. Well, at least now you know... :( I am so sorry this happened. ;( ((((Hugs!!)))):cry: Your hair is still gorgeous!! :blossom:

sumidha
April 1st, 2016, 06:25 PM
This is the thread for me!

I'll be maintaining at classic for the foreseeable future, aka until I don't have massive taper anymore. :)

Quahatundightu
April 1st, 2016, 06:48 PM
I'm maintaining a little above classic but I wouldn't mind growing back to classic and maintaining there, perhaps next year depending on my results from this year. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread :) love the name too!

rowie
April 1st, 2016, 07:29 PM
I'm here at classic with a few strands creeping down to my thighs. Classic is supposed to be my end goal but so far I'm just too afraid to touch the scissors. I don't know, I'll join because eventually I will do my very first trim and I'm thinking it will be right smack at classic again where I'm currently happy with. For now, I'll keep bunning and ignoring and keep buying hair toys to satisfy my boredom. :rollin:

endersworld
April 1st, 2016, 08:20 PM
I hate to get us off-topic, but Quahatundightu, where did you get that hair toy in your signature, and what is it called? It's beautiful!

jlw9222
April 1st, 2016, 09:02 PM
My new goal is Classic. I kept reaching my others and just couldn't stop. I do plan, however, to stop at Classic and plan to maintain that length while thickening up my ends. I had a HUGE shed about 1.5 years ago and now have this wavy mass of new hair just above my shoulders. Getting all that down to Classic seems like a crazy goal, but I don't care. :-) I'm about 5 inches away from Classic. I'm TBL now (40 inches). Does anyone else have a 5 inch differences between TBL and Classic? That distance seems HUGE to me. :-)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 1st, 2016, 09:18 PM
My new goal is Classic. I kept reaching my others and just couldn't stop. I do plan, however, to stop at Classic and plan to maintain that length while thickening up my ends. I had a HUGE shed about 1.5 years ago and now have this wavy mass of new hair just above my shoulders. Getting all that down to Classic seems like a crazy goal, but I don't care. :-) I'm about 5 inches away from Classic. I'm TBL now (40 inches). Does anyone else have a 5 inch differences between TBL and Classic? That distance seems HUGE to me. :-)

I have a 6" difference.... :(

mira-chan
April 1st, 2016, 09:23 PM
I was doing this for a while and may still cut back a bit. I'm maintaining at the classic to fingertip range. Waiting for the ends to thicken, and might stay at fingertip indefinitely.

LongCurlyTress
April 1st, 2016, 09:26 PM

LOL I am 5'2" tall, So... I am currently at 35 inches, TBL is at 37inches and Classic is at 42 inches on me, so yep! I do too (have a 5 inch difference between TBL and classic!) :( To make matters more complicated, I have to trim about an inch every two months to trim out the last 4 inches of layers in my hemline before I will continue on to classic... so it's gonna be a long, long time before I grow to classic, my goal length.

Quahatundightu
April 1st, 2016, 09:38 PM
I hate to get us off-topic, but Quahatundightu, where did you get that hair toy in your signature, and what is it called? It's beautiful!

It's a Maori heru (hair comb) from New Zealand. I believe this website (http://www.aotearoa.co.nz/shop/maori+art/Aeon+Giftware/Heru.+Maori+hair+comb+4+pin/x_sku/aeon_maori_heru_haircomb003.html?__utma=1.13866458 79.1459567947.1459567947.1459567947.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1459567947&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1459567947.1.1.utmcsr=aotearoa.co.nz|utmc cn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/shop/maori%20art/Aeon%20Giftware/Heru.%20Maori%20hair%20comb%20manaia%3Fsku=aeon_ma ori_heru_haircomb_manaia001.html&__utmv=-&__utmk=117068166) ships overseas. I will just say that they are quite small and light compared to most LHC preferred forks. I have had a few questions about them, there are more photos in my blog. I need to add a size comparison pic for those who are interested. :)

Edit: Added pics to comparison pics to this blog entry (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=123892).

jlw9222
April 1st, 2016, 10:12 PM
I have a 6" difference.... :(

6 INCHES!?!! Wow! Now I don't feel so bad. When I originally measured to Classic I thought, "you've got to be kidding me with this!!" :-) It's hard to believe it will take approximately a year to get there...Geez! I'm debating whether I should hold off on trims. I just gave myself a little .5 to 1 inch cut at the end of February, so I should be good for while. :-)

jlw9222
April 1st, 2016, 10:18 PM
LOL I am 5'2" tall, So... I am currently at 35 inches, TBL is at 37inches and Classic is at 42 inches on me, so yep! I do too (have a 5 inch difference between TBL and classic!) :( To make matters more complicated, I have to trim about an inch every two months to trim out the last 4 inches of layers in my hemline before I will continue on to classic... so it's gonna be a long, long time before I grow to classic, my goal length.

Geez. And I thought my trim or not trim conundrum was harsh. :-) I probably should trim like you are so my ends could start thickening up, but I don't feel like they're too thin just not where they usually would be. I try to keep my hair up mostly, so the length arrives almost without my noticing, so that's nice. Just think of all the great shaping you're doing with all those trims. Your hair looks amazing now. I can only image how it will look when you get it the way you want it. :-)

Groovy Granny
April 1st, 2016, 10:54 PM
I have heard that CO washing or even just getting conditioner on your scalp area can cause increased shedding. At least for me, it does seem like this happens. :

I have been co washing for 3 months now and actually just posted in the CO thread, that since CO my shedding has decreased dramatically,
I dilute a couple drops of shampoo with a large squirt of conditioner in 4oz water and apply it to my scalp (massage), with just conditioner on my ends then rinse.
A second conditioner application goes mainly on my ends and a wee bit on my roots...rinse.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2016, 03:35 AM
I have been co washing for 3 months now and actually just posted in the CO thread, that since CO my shedding has decreased dramatically,
I dilute a couple drops of shampoo with a large squirt of conditioner in 4oz water and apply it to my scalp (massage), with just conditioner on my ends then rinse.
A second conditioner application goes mainly on my ends and a wee bit on my roots...rinse.

If you mix shampoo & conditioner, might as well buy a 2-in-1. ;) :p No, but I get it. This way you'll know what's in your mixture. :)

LongCurlyTress
April 2nd, 2016, 09:45 AM

Sounds very similar to what I am doing. Great minds think alike GG!! ;)

Geez. And I thought my trim or not trim conundrum was harsh. :-) I probably should trim like you are so my ends could start thickening up, but I don't feel like they're too thin just not where they usually would be. I try to keep my hair up mostly, so the length arrives almost without my noticing, so that's nice. Just think of all the great shaping you're doing with all those trims. Your hair looks amazing now. I can only image how it will look when you get it the way you want it. :-)

Thank you!! I think the secret to growing long hair is to just try your best to love and appreciate the length you are at. Then your hair knows you love it, unconditionally and will surprise you.... Just sayin' LOL!:p

MlleMC
April 2nd, 2016, 04:26 PM
6 INCHES!?!! Wow! Now I don't feel so bad. When I originally measured to Classic I thought, "you've got to be kidding me with this!!" :-) It's hard to believe it will take approximately a year to get there...Geez! I'm debating whether I should hold off on trims. I just gave myself a little .5 to 1 inch cut at the end of February, so I should be good for while. :-)

I also have 6 inches between TBL and classic, but then again my classic is at 42 inches. You're probably a bit taller than I am. :shrug:

lapushka
April 2nd, 2016, 04:28 PM
I also have 6 inches between TBL and classic, but then again my classic is at 42 inches. You're probably a bit taller than I am. :shrug:

Yep me too, I thought it was 6 inches, but it took me 9 months to get there and I typically grow 1/2 inch a month. So more like 4,5 inches.

sumidha
April 2nd, 2016, 08:30 PM
So, just throwing it out there... This thread could use some pictures! :cool:

sumidha
April 26th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Woohoo! :happydance: I cut off about half an inch last week and this is today, officially maintaining at classic:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g469/blackcatpictures1/134_0609_zpsnzj6s0tg.jpg (http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/blackcatpictures1/media/134_0609_zpsnzj6s0tg.jpg.html)

cat11
April 26th, 2016, 03:33 PM
I don't plan on stopping at classic, but I do plan on maintaining there until my hem is completely blunt. I stil have some hairs that are growing out in the front and I decided that if they havent caught up by the time I'm at classic to maintain until everything is one length with acceptable taper.

It's a pretty length, too, and it might be nice to get used to having hair below my bottom and almost past my hands for a little while before I move on to fingertip and knee. And who knows, maybe at classic I will decide knee is too much. Im open to that idea, even though I do want knee length now.

lapushka
July 23rd, 2016, 06:57 AM
I almost started a new thread with the same title, then I suddenly remembered! It already existed.

I am still maintaining this "goal". Who else is with me?

Theobroma
July 23rd, 2016, 09:19 AM
I lopped off 6 cm early this month, putting me back at classic stretched. I guess that means I'm in!

lapushka
July 23rd, 2016, 02:25 PM
Yay! I'm in my growth stage again, last cut: June this year, so it's about half an inch beyond classic again. I'll see how long I can last this time before the scissors come out to let my mom cut back.

cathair
July 23rd, 2016, 06:37 PM
I'm with you. I'm a bit past classic now, but I very shortly going to start maintaining at classic. To see if I can grow out my very extreme taper/FTE or not.

The plan it to devise a way of measuring said taper/thinness of ends. I'm afraid if I can't measure it I will freak out and wonder what I am doing further down the line.

Then I need to photograph it, so I know exactly how bad it is. Then pick a method of trimming it.

Then I am going to clarify, chelate, touch up the blue and have my first trim in 7 years :bigeyes:

I'm not at all frightened(!) I need to start by the end of the summer, that is the deadline I gave myself at the beginning of the year.

I expect to maintain here for 3 or 4 years. I think it will take me as long to grow out what I suspect may be heat damage, as it took me to get to classic. So I may as well get comfortable here :)

lapushka
July 24th, 2016, 04:28 AM
Welcome cathair & Theobroma! :D

Sarahlabyrinth
July 27th, 2016, 01:13 AM
I may start maintaining next year :)

Ambystoma
August 2nd, 2016, 02:28 AM
I'm currently planning to grow to Classic, and then I'll be there for a good long while as while I'm around 5" away when wet/stretched, my bun waves eat another 5" easily, plus I have around 5" of layering at the bottom I'd like to trim away, so it will take ages before I'm there, unstretched with a fuller hemline.

I'll see how I feel about a little longer once I get there, but I think that might be where I stay.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2016, 04:31 AM
It's a nice length to be at, but I also fully enjoyed the TBL to classic journey, so... you'll get there!

Decoy24601
August 2nd, 2016, 06:38 AM
I'm still 3.5" away from classic, but I will be maintaining at classic for a little bit to start growing out my layers :). I'll eventually be growing my hair a few inches longer (probably about 6" past classic), but I don't plan on growing to knee.

LongCurlyTress
November 13th, 2016, 06:37 AM
I am so sad seeing this grow to classic thread. I was trying to maintain at TBL to thicken up my hemline, but due to increased tangling and breakage, I trimmed back from about 37 inches to 34 inches at the beginning of this month. My hemline is behaving alot better, but now I am questioning if I can maintain healthy strong unbroken hair at TBL or classic. :taz:

My hair tangles so easily and then breaks during detangling with conditioner in the shower. I am so sad!!:wail: It still feels long, but since it is curly, the shrinkage is horrible... my hair really needs the weight and those 3-4 inches I just trimmed off really make a weight difference. Oh well.. at least the breakage has decreased but now I have this horrible dumb halo from the broken hairs...:( Well, at least I can still appreciate those who are at classic here on this thread. :(:rolleyes::popcorn:

lapushka
November 13th, 2016, 07:13 AM
I am so sad seeing this grow to classic thread. I was trying to maintain at TBL to thicken up my hemline, but due to increased tangling and breakage, I trimmed back from about 37 inches to 34 inches at the beginning of this month. My hemline is behaving alot better, but now I am questioning if I can maintain healthy strong unbroken hair at TBL or classic. :taz:

My hair tangles so easily and then breaks during detangling with conditioner in the shower. I am so sad!!:wail: It still feels long, but since it is curly, the shrinkage is horrible... my hair really needs the weight and those 3-4 inches I just trimmed off really make a weight difference. Oh well.. at least the breakage has decreased but now I have this horrible dumb halo from the broken hairs...:( Well, at least I can still appreciate those who are at classic here on this thread. :(:rolleyes::popcorn:

Maybe try a "better" conditioner. Something with silicones in it? There's no reason it should break from detangling! I had a bad conditioner today too, and had a multi-strand knot on my hands and my hair almost refused to comb out (quite a bit of tangling). Normally, if I use my *good* conditioners, I don't have this - at all! (but I have to use up my stash)

LongCurlyTress
November 13th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Maybe try a "better" conditioner. Something with silicones in it? There's no reason it should break from detangling! I had a bad conditioner today too, and had a multi-strand knot on my hands and my hair almost refused to comb out (quite a bit of tangling). Normally, if I use my *good* conditioners, I don't have this - at all! (but I have to use up my stash)

Thanks Lapushka, but my hair is very fine and breaks easily during detangling. I do use Kirkland Shampoo and conditioner and both have cones...Usually, I can detangle in the shower using lots of the conditioner but I think my hair just tangled more than normal due to the weather getting rainy and humid. It just frizzed up....:( https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Moisture-Conditioner-Fluid/dp/B004W3GKVwater

cyclopentasiloxane cetearyl alcohol stearyl alcohol cetrimonium chloride behentrimonium methosulfate helianthus annus (sunflower) seed oil lycium barbarum fruit extract aloe barbadensis leaf extract camellia sinesis leaf extract cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract persea gratissima (avocado) fruit extract punica granatum extract melanin vitis vinifera (grape) seed extract helianthus annus (sunflower) seed extract glycereth-26 dimethiconol divinyldimethicone/dimethicone copolymer fragrance gluconolactone cetrimonium bromide panthenol ppg-3 benzyl ether myristate jojoba esters quaternium-91 amodimethicone hydroxyethylcelloulose cetrimonium methosulfate sodium benzoate c11-15 pareth-7 peg-45m laureth-9 aminomethly propanol glycerin butyrospermum parkii ( shea butter) c12-13 pareth-23 c12-13 pareth-3 cinnamidopropyltrimonium chloride (sunscreens) trideceth-12 citric acid ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate sodium ascorbyl phosphate butylene glycol hydrolyed soy protein tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e) hydrolyzed vegatable protein pg-propyl silanetriol O

Not sure what is normal... for me-- excessive tangling and knotting up when the weather gets rainy and humid makes it very tangle prone... hence the excess damage. Here are the ingredients in the Kirkland Conditioner.. do you see anything of concern?

Your multistrand knot does not sound like any fun at all. Hope you got it out ok without any breakage!! :)

lapushka
November 14th, 2016, 05:55 AM
cyclopentasiloxane cetearyl alcohol stearyl alcohol cetrimonium chloride behentrimonium methosulfate helianthus annus (sunflower) seed oil lycium barbarum fruit extract aloe barbadensis leaf extract camellia sinesis leaf extract cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract persea gratissima (avocado) fruit extract punica granatum extract melanin vitis vinifera (grape) seed extract helianthus annus (sunflower) seed extract glycereth-26 dimethiconol divinyldimethicone/dimethicone copolymer fragrance gluconolactone cetrimonium bromide panthenol ppg-3 benzyl ether myristate jojoba esters quaternium-91 amodimethicone hydroxyethylcelloulose cetrimonium methosulfate sodium benzoate c11-15 pareth-7 peg-45m laureth-9 aminomethly propanol glycerin butyrospermum parkii ( shea butter) c12-13 pareth-23 c12-13 pareth-3 cinnamidopropyltrimonium chloride (sunscreens) trideceth-12 citric acid ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate sodium ascorbyl phosphate butylene glycol hydrolyed soy protein tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e) hydrolyzed vegatable protein pg-propyl silanetriol O

Not sure what is normal... for me-- excessive tangling and knotting up when the weather gets rainy and humid makes it very tangle prone... hence the excess damage. Here are the ingredients in the Kirkland Conditioner.. do you see anything of concern?

Your multistrand knot does not sound like any fun at all. Hope you got it out ok without any breakage!! :)

Yes it has quite a bit of silicone in it - should be fine. Great ingredients, I think, personally! Maybe try switching it up some though with another conditioner. I'd try one for dry, damaged hair; those are the most moisturizing on the market (tip for you there ;)).

I got it out with fingers, and some tender love and care. :D Thank you!

LongCurlyTress
November 14th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Yes it has quite a bit of silicone in it - should be fine. Great ingredients, I think, personally! Maybe try switching it up some though with another conditioner. I'd try one for dry, damaged hair; those are the most moisturizing on the market (tip for you there ;)).

I got it out with fingers, and some tender love and care. :D Thank you!

Thank you!! ;) Not a bad idea to try other thick coney conditioners. What do you think of this one? I want her hair!!! :O I have her hair...just don't know how to get it...:(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol8_aBRRW-w&t=12s

And super yay!! for getting out your knot! :joy:

LillithTheFirst
November 17th, 2016, 04:18 AM
Def planning to maintain at classic, currently at BCL though so still got a year or so worth of growth still to go, assuming I'm not at terminal already. Which would make me sad. :(

hanne jensen
November 17th, 2016, 04:31 AM
Someday I'll be here. Someday. When I reach classic I'll maintain for a while to improve my hemline. Someday...

lapushka
November 17th, 2016, 05:13 AM
Thank you!! ;) Not a bad idea to try other thick coney conditioners. What do you think of this one? I want her hair!!! :O I have her hair...just don't know how to get it...:(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol8_aBRRW-w&t=12s

And super yay!! for getting out your knot! :joy:

You mean I had to view an entire YT video for you to ask me about the Pantene smooth&shine? :lol: By all means, try it. I can't predict what things are going to do in your hair, after all! ;)

Dessi
November 19th, 2016, 01:24 AM
That's a great idea for a thread! I've been feeling a little discouraged lately.. since reaching Classic I don't seem to be noticing much of a progress. My ends seem to be in a need of a trim faster then they did before I reached Classic, therefore this year I've been trimming about 2 cm every three months (and not less then 1 cm every three months as I did before) and since my hair doesn't grow that fast, if we don't count the length I've trimmed, I've gained about 6 cm since the beginning of the year. I want Thigh length so badly, but I fail to see any progress in length. Another thing that makes me trim more, more often is that my hair seems to be growing faster on one side than the other which makes my hemline uneven and I end up having to trim. If all of this continues, I may have to stop and maintain at Classic for some time, despite wanting to reach Thigh length so badly. I'm still not sure what to do. Thigh length is my ultimate goal and it will be nice if I manage to put up with my ends until reaching it and then I basically have all my life to maintain at Thigh length, since I have no desire to go longer.
What would you do? Would you wait until reaching FTL and then maintain or go back to Classic and maintain there?
First line showing CL, second one showing where I am now stretched (after my last trim):
http://i.imgur.com/PrBhQzf.png

lapushka
November 19th, 2016, 04:07 AM
What would you do? Would you wait until reaching FTL and then maintain or go back to Classic and maintain there?
First line showing CL, second one showing where I am now stretched (after my last trim):
http://i.imgur.com/PrBhQzf.png

I trim about 5 cm (2 inches) every 4 months, so that takes my growth right back off.

Well, this thread is about maintaining classic. If that's what you want to do, then by all means, go for it.

If it's not getting to be FTL, maybe more patience? How many months are you willing to give it?

Theobroma
November 19th, 2016, 06:43 AM
That's a great idea for a thread! I've been feeling a little discouraged lately.. since reaching Classic I don't seem to be noticing much of a progress. My ends seem to be in a need of a trim faster then they did before I reached Classic, therefore this year I've been trimming about 2 cm every three months (and not less then 1 cm every three months as I did before) and since my hair doesn't grow that fast, if we don't count the length I've trimmed, I've gained about 6 cm since the beginning of the year. I want Thigh length so badly, but I fail to see any progress in length. Another thing that makes me trim more, more often is that my hair seems to be growing faster on one side than the other which makes my hemline uneven and I end up having to trim. If all of this continues, I may have to stop and maintain at Classic for some time, despite wanting to reach Thigh length so badly. I'm still not sure what to do. Thigh length is my ultimate goal and it will be nice if I manage to put up with my ends until reaching it and then I basically have all my life to maintain at Thigh length, since I have no desire to go longer.

If I understand you correctly, started trimming 2 cm every three months at the beginning of this year, so you've been at it for less than eleven months? Because at these lengths that's nowhere near enough time to start getting visible results. A year is nothing in this game. I've been maintaining at classic since 2012 while regrowing from major CO-washing hairloss and I'm still nowhere near done. This year I've trimmed 13 cm so far (for a total growth of 15 cm) and I'd be lying if I said I noticed that it's made a difference. Though my mother insists that my hair looks longer every time she sees it down, which suggests that the thickness is slowly travelling down the length even though I can't see it. Improving a hemline so far down from the scalp just takes forever and isn't for the faint hearted!

Whether you maintain here for a while to thicken the hemline or grow down to your goal length and then maintain there really depends on what you'd rather have -- your goal length or something closer to your goal hemline. Any way you slice it, you aren't going to have them both any time soon (ask me how I know!), so you have to decide what your priority is. Mine was length (assuming that the ends were healthy, that is; thin I could live with, but thin and grabby I could not), so I grew down to classic and now I'm maintaining here until further notice. But yours may be different. And you may find that a sort of hybrid approach works best for you, especially if your hair tends to grow unevenly. While I was in my grow-down-to-goal-and-stuff-the-hemline phase, I did sometimes sneak in a bit of a trim because the ends had become thinner and more ragged than I was willing to tolerate, so it wasn't an all-out sprint to classic, more of a "play it by ear and see how it goes" sort of thing.

One way or another, it's a marathon and not a sprint! On the up side, though, "put it up and forget it" is excellent advice and a good hairtoy will conceal, and distract you from, a multitude of hemline woes. :)

Annalouise
November 19th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Dessi~:cool:

Hi. I'm a bit confused. By your statistics your hair is growing at a normal growth rate of roughly 6 inches per year, so I'm not sure why you consider that slow growth? You used to trim less hair, and therefore you saw more results after a year, that is logical. I understand that since hitting classic you have noticed an uneven growth and this bothers you and that is why you are trimming more now than you did before hitting classic.
My advice is if you want thigh length (I'm not sure what FTL means), then grow to that point and then trim. However, I am confused again because your stats show FTL being 2 inches past CL. 44" and 46". If all you need is 2" then technically you should gain that in 1 year at your current trimming schedule. With your growth rate if you did a year of no trimming you would gain 6" which is long past your goal length then you should be able to trim it back to FTL at the end of the year and still have a decent hemline.:)

Am I missing something?:puppy:

Dessi
November 19th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Thank you very much ladies for your opinions!
Annalouise, Classic on me is about 41'' inches. it's just the length I am now (44'') is neither Classic nor Thigh length so I left it as CL in my profile. But yes, I basically need 2 more inches until Thigh length so maybe I will grow and maintain there.
I'm sorry for the rant, I've been just feeling bad these days about my hair and needed to let it out. I should really put it up and forget about it for a while.

Annalouise
November 19th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Thank you very much ladies for your opinions!
Annalouise, Classic on me is about 41'' inches. it's just the length I am now (44'') is neither Classic nor Thigh length so I left it as CL in my profile. But yes, I basically need 2 more inches until Thigh length so maybe I will grow and maintain there.
I'm sorry for the rant, I've been just feeling bad these days about my hair and needed to let it out. I should really put it up and forget about it for a while.

Don't be sorry, that is what LHC is for! Ranting about hair!:D I think your hair is growing marvelously! I would love to grow 6" in one year. This past year my hair only gained...I think it was 2.5 inches TOTAL. I think your hair is doing great and I think you should hit your target in one year! Then you can trim when you get there. I just don't think you should cut it back to classic. :shake:

lapushka
November 19th, 2016, 10:42 AM
It's OK, Dessi. We all need to rant sometimes. Classic is my "good" length. Anything that goes beyond it, is a little too much, but I let it grow 2 inches beyond every time, before I trim back. It's do-able, but beyond that it gets difficult. Maybe you're experiencing the same thing? Where it is no longer comfortable? Or, am I wrong? :)

Dessi
November 19th, 2016, 12:00 PM
I just love this community and appreciate all the support and comfort I get here. I'm truly grateful. :flower:
And yes, it has really started getting more difficult now, especially when I want to wear my hair down, but I'll be patient and wait for these 2 more inches that I need to reach Thigh length. :) If I don't like it there when I reach it, I'd be probably here, maintaining at Classic, but I've been dreaming for Thigh length for so long that I cannot imagine not liking it there, even if it's difficult. :D

rapunzelna
November 20th, 2016, 04:15 AM
I may start maintaining next year :)

How long will it be then?

LongCurlyTress
November 22nd, 2016, 09:52 AM
You mean I had to view an entire YT video for you to ask me about the Pantene smooth&shine? :lol: By all means, try it. I can't predict what things are going to do in your hair, after all! ;)

LOL!!
Well, update... I trimmed some layers into my length using the Creaclip over my face to try to blend in the hair breakage.. now I have really f'd up my hair... :( Well, nothing that a good 8 months to a year of new growth can't fix... ugh.... So, I am currently back to 33inches at the longest layer from around 37 inches at TBL... It's all so frustrating! After I cut in the layers, I hated the pointy- thin mullet in the middle of my hemline so then I brought each side in front of me and trimmed to even out the hemline into a U shape. Just going to keep bunning it so I don't think about how much I just cut off, but actually, it is alot easier to detangle now and with alot less breakage so I guess that is a good thing, no?

Well good luck to all who are maintaining at classic. Don't think I will ever join you there--(super thick and curly and difficult to detangle...) due to my hair type.. I have no idea how some with my type of hair do grow to classic?? Well, see ya around LHC!! :(

lapushka
November 22nd, 2016, 10:43 AM
LOL!!
Well, update... I trimmed some layers into my length using the Creaclip over my face to try to blend in the hair breakage.. now I have really f'd up my hair... :( Well, nothing that a good 8 months to a year of new growth can't fix... ugh.... So, I am currently back to 33inches at the longest layer from around 37 inches at TBL... It's all so frustrating! After I cut in the layers, I hated the pointy- thin mullet in the middle of my hemline so then I brought each side in front of me and trimmed to even out the hemline into a U shape. Just going to keep bunning it so I don't think about how much I just cut off, but actually, it is alot easier to detangle now and with alot less breakage so I guess that is a good thing, no?

Well good luck to all who are maintaining at classic. Don't think I will ever join you there--(super thick and curly and difficult to detangle...) due to my hair type.. I have no idea how some with my type of hair do grow to classic?? Well, see ya around LHC!! :(

You didn't like the layers? Ponytail on top of forehead gives you a lot of shorter layering, but I could have told you that... before you snipped. Creaclip or not, it is the method that you used. I'm sorry you didn't like it.

LongCurlyTress
November 22nd, 2016, 11:48 AM
You didn't like the layers? Ponytail on top of forehead gives you a lot of shorter layering, but I could have told you that... before you snipped. Creaclip or not, it is the method that you used. I'm sorry you didn't like it.

LOL...I already knew your technique Lapushka from your previous posts on other threads but thanks anyways... I don't like shorter layers since my hair springs up with shorter lengths and looks like bozo... lol... I need longer length layers for the weight to pulll down the curls instead of out... ;) I just simply hate layers on me...due to my extreme thickness and curliness... I don't think your hair is as thick or curly as mine is so it probably does not get as bushy due to the thickness. I wish my hair was more like yours!! Thanks anyways...:(

lapushka
November 23rd, 2016, 09:37 AM
LOL...I already knew your technique Lapushka from your previous posts on other threads but thanks anyways... I don't like shorter layers since my hair springs up with shorter lengths and looks like bozo... lol... I need longer length layers for the weight to pulll down the curls instead of out... ;) I just simply hate layers on me...due to my extreme thickness and curliness... I don't think your hair is as thick or curly as mine is so it probably does not get as bushy due to the thickness. I wish my hair was more like yours!! Thanks anyways...:(

Might not be, but it gets thick enough to where it bothers me and I can stand to have layers. ;)

If you knew the method and the technique, can I ask why you didn't do the ponytail on the top of the head method - that would have given you more uniform, all over layers (not those very short ones).

LongCurlyTress
November 23rd, 2016, 06:27 PM
Might not be, but it gets thick enough to where it bothers me and I can stand to have layers. ;)

If you knew the method and the technique, can I ask why you didn't do the ponytail on the top of the head method - that would have given you more uniform, all over layers (not those very short ones).

The Creaclip gives a very similar cut as the ponytail method you use... it just spreads the hairs out more rather than grouping them together in ponytail. I only cut off about 2 inches from the hemline when I brushed my hair forward and then clipped the creaclip 2 inches above the hemline... but that made the halo layers too fluffy--- even though they werre not that much shorter... hope that makes sense... its all ok. I know you are just trying to help but I know how my hair behaves with layers and I should know better by now. Oh well... my new project.. growing out my layers llol... here I go again!! :/

My layers are not short, but still the layers -- any layers at any length...make my halo on my hair look too big. if that makes sense... hope it does... anyways now I am growing out my layers ... again!! ugh... :( I also cut in face framing layers in front of my ears... don't know if I mentioned that before.. so I really messed my hair up....;( I only cut back about an inch and a half into my hairline in front of my ears... but that also messedup my hair.. gaaaah!! I should never watch hair cutting you tube videos!! I do not have straight hair!! gaaahhhh!! When will I learn my lesson... :(

ETA update... I am learning too work with my layers both in the back as well as the face framing layers. Luckily, the shortest layers still reach below my collarbone, so I am trying to make the best of my haphazard decision to cut into my length and add the face framing layers. Before I did this, I was usually wearing my hair up in a nautilus bun, so that has pretty much stayed the same... since I can still do this bun... so it will just be a matter of months/a year plus??? until I maintain--- AGAIN!! at hip length to allow those face framing layers too catch up to my hemline... It's all good... thanks for your encouragement!! I am guessing this post is not on topic anymore so no need to further comment.... see you around LHC threads!! ;)

lapushka
November 24th, 2016, 02:57 PM
The Creaclip gives a very similar cut as the ponytail method you use... it just spreads the hairs out more rather than grouping them together in ponytail. I only cut off about 2 inches from the hemline when I brushed my hair forward and then clipped the creaclip 2 inches above the hemline... but that made the halo layers too fluffy--- even though they werre not that much shorter... hope that makes sense... its all ok. I know you are just trying to help but I know how my hair behaves with layers and I should know better by now. Oh well... my new project.. growing out my layers llol... here I go again!! :/

My layers are not short, but still the layers -- any layers at any length...make my halo on my hair look too big. if that makes sense... hope it does... anyways now I am growing out my layers ... again!! ugh... :( I also cut in face framing layers in front of my ears... don't know if I mentioned that before.. so I really messed my hair up....;( I only cut back about an inch and a half into my hairline in front of my ears... but that also messedup my hair.. gaaaah!! I should never watch hair cutting you tube videos!! I do not have straight hair!! gaaahhhh!! When will I learn my lesson... :(

ETA update... I am learning too work with my layers both in the back as well as the face framing layers. Luckily, the shortest layers still reach below my collarbone, so I am trying to make the best of my haphazard decision to cut into my length and add the face framing layers. Before I did this, I was usually wearing my hair up in a nautilus bun, so that has pretty much stayed the same... since I can still do this bun... so it will just be a matter of months/a year plus??? until I maintain--- AGAIN!! at hip length to allow those face framing layers too catch up to my hemline... It's all good... thanks for your encouragement!! I am guessing this post is not on topic anymore so no need to further comment.... see you around LHC threads!! ;)

Isn't there a product that is hefty enough to weigh it all down? Maybe your conditioner is too light?

Well, lesson learned, I guess. :o

Avital88
November 25th, 2016, 10:55 AM
I am maintaining until I am satisfied with the thickness of my ends. I had a bad post partum shed so it got a lot thinner. Now it is catching up but this takes some time. I am micro trimming by the moon phase to thicken up hair. I only reached classic recently though.

lapushka
November 26th, 2016, 03:56 AM
I'm back to waist, well, somewhere between waist & hip, but mostly waist. I can "just" (only "just") manage a LWB. My mom just took 12 cm off of my hair. Well, I eyeballed the amount to take off, she took it off, and then we measured. :lol:

So I'm out of this thread for a while. I might do the no-trimming thread for 2017, or I might end up taking more length off. It all will depend on wash day and on how my waves fall. But I think waist might be my limit - not sure yet.

Doom
November 26th, 2016, 10:09 AM
I'm still a long way to classic, although I hope to be a classic maintainer someday, but today I saw a girl with CL hair, thought of this thread and wondered whether she was aware of LHC. ;) Didn't ask her though.

LongCurlyTress
November 26th, 2016, 08:15 PM
I'm back to waist, well, somewhere between waist & hip, but mostly waist. I can "just" (only "just") manage a LWB. My mom just took 12 cm off of my hair. Well, I eyeballed the amount to take off, she took it off, and then we measured. :lol:

So I'm out of this thread for a while. I might do the no-trimming thread for 2017, or I might end up taking more length off. It all will depend on wash day and on how my waves fall. But I think waist might be my limit - not sure yet.

Oh Wow lapushka!! I also trimmed off my length to just at or above hip depending on dry shrinkage and fluffiness.. In addition I also cut in face framing layers.. or rather cut them in shorter.. just in front of my ear to top of my head, back into my hairline about 2 inches... I have mixed feelings now.. and feel a little or rather alot sad about this. It was raining today and my curls poofed up so I had to use bobby pins!! to hold the sides back into a nape length ponytail.. so depressing... ugh.. very much regretting my recent hair cutting, although I think I needed a change for emotional reasons too.. . well good luck to you. Guess we should go find the waist to hip thread now.. see you around LHC!!! ;)