PDA

View Full Version : Starting Over! chopped from waist to apl

Sparklylady82
April 1st, 2016, 12:33 AM
I haven't been active on LHC for awhile but I wanted to check in with some news. I decided to chop my waist length hair back to apl. It took me 1 year 8 months to get to waist when I started from apl the last time (July 2014- March 2016). I just chopped a few weeks ago right after I hit my waist length milestone.

The reason I chopped was because I had a lot of damage that was appearing and it made me sad and too focused on the negative about my hair. I believe the breakage and split ends was due to continued bad hair habits. I couldn't let go of highlighting my hair. I'd try to stop by dyeing it a natural brown but then I'd highlight again. I did this several times during the time I was growing out plus my hair was already damaged from heat styling also. I tried everything the last few months to save it but nothing was working.

My hair feels really really healthy now that I chopped and I'm more confident that I'll take better care of it this time around! It is quite a shock going from waist to apl. The hair stylist cut waaaay too much so I really wasn't expecting to go this short but it is what it is. I'll be self trimming from now on. I'll post a before chop and after picture...
After
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww233/sparklylady82/20160329_090814_zpsfboru5zx.jpg (http://s723.photobucket.com/user/sparklylady82/media/20160329_090814_zpsfboru5zx.jpg.html)

Before...
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww233/sparklylady82/FB_IMG_1455577239844_zpskgbsuvqk.jpg (http://s723.photobucket.com/user/sparklylady82/media/FB_IMG_1455577239844_zpskgbsuvqk.jpg.html)

Simsy
April 1st, 2016, 12:57 AM
:eek:, that's a big chop...your length looks awesome by the way.

Good luck with the growing. Have you got a goal in mind to aim for?

Mirabele
April 1st, 2016, 01:06 AM
You have beautiful hair, i love these waves. It is really a big change, you are so brave! ;) enjoy your new length, it is good to hear that is makes you happy instead of previuosly focusing on damage.
Happy growing again!

Wusel
April 1st, 2016, 01:39 AM
You have wonderful waves! :crush: Happy growing!

spirals
April 1st, 2016, 01:43 AM
It's gorgeous and while I don't think it looked too bad before, it looks so thick and healthy now. I'm glad you get to start over with that. I bet it reaches waist faster this time, like a year.

lapushka
April 1st, 2016, 06:30 AM
Yes, looks like she took about 2 years' worth of growth off. :( But if it was damaged and you feel better now, then that is all that really matters. I love your wave pattern. Maybe you can do more with your waves and go CG or do the LOC method on it after washing or something like that, if you don't already - experiment with methods. Now is the time!

Nesoi
April 1st, 2016, 06:35 AM
Oh wow! I've always loved your wave pattern and I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows this time! :D

-Huldra-
April 1st, 2016, 11:06 AM
Good luck, and wonderful waves!

Sparklylady82
April 1st, 2016, 02:10 PM
:eek:, that's a big chop...your length looks awesome by the way.

Good luck with the growing. Have you got a goal in mind to aim for?

Thank you Simsy! My previous goal was waist length so I am sticking with that for now. If I can handle it, I love the look of TBL but I don't think I'd go much longer than that.

You have beautiful hair, i love these waves. It is really a big change, you are so brave! ;) enjoy your new length, it is good to hear that is makes you happy instead of previuosly focusing on damage.
Happy growing again!

Thank you Mirabele for complimenting my waves. I definitely have a "love-hate" relationship with them myself! Thank you for the support!

You have wonderful waves! :crush: Happy growing!

Thank you Wusel!

It's gorgeous and while I don't think it looked too bad before, it looks so thick and healthy now. I'm glad you get to start over with that. I bet it reaches waist faster this time, like a year.

Hi Spirals thank you! It really didn't look bad to others but I knew the damage was there. I have no split ends or breakage now so I am really excited to see how it turns out as I grow out. I'm doubtful that I could reach waist in a year but one can wish!!!

Yes, looks like she took about 2 years' worth of growth off. :( But if it was damaged and you feel better now, then that is all that really matters. I love your wave pattern. Maybe you can do more with your waves and go CG or do the LOC method on it after washing or something like that, if you don't already - experiment with methods. Now is the time!

Hi Lapushka, am I the "she" you are talking about? haha! I do feel better about my hair now and for me what I've learned this past 2 years is that quality matters to me above quantity.

Oh wow! I've always loved your wave pattern and I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows this time! :D

Thanks Nesoi, I'm excited too!

Good luck, and wonderful waves!

Thank you Huldra!!!

Kiiruna
April 1st, 2016, 03:50 PM
I guess Lapushka meant your hairdresser ;) Your hair is beautiful in both lengths, I'm happy to hear that your hair feels better now! :blossom:

Sparklylady82
April 1st, 2016, 03:52 PM
I guess Lapushka meant your hairdresser ;) Your hair is beautiful in both lengths, I'm happy to hear that your hair feels better now! :blossom:

You are probably right that she meant my hairdresser! I hadn't read it that way. Thank you!

LongCurlyTress
April 1st, 2016, 04:08 PM
Hey Sparkleylady82!! Welcome back!!!:toast: Your hair is pretty ALWAYS!! It will grow back nice and healthy this time around. I had to do a big chop, and yes, it was a bit/traumatic/ difficult to cut off my waist? length hair to apl and then to the chin length curly bob, but time passed by and my hair grew back without the damage from dying it. Yay!! You did the right thing!! Health before length!! :flowers: Try to have fun with this shorter length now, since it won't be long, (lol pun intended) before your hair will be too long to do a pretty, feminine, peacock french twist with chin length side bangs. ;) This was one of my favorite hairstyles to do as my hair grew back and allowed me to forget about the length it used to be before messing around with highlights and dying etc. Good luck hon!!:blossom::blossom:

papayatree
April 1st, 2016, 04:11 PM
Welcome back to the site. Looks like we will grow at the same time, hope we reach our goals sooner than later!

lapushka
April 1st, 2016, 04:21 PM
Hi Lapushka, am I the "she" you are talking about? haha! I do feel better about my hair now and for me what I've learned this past 2 years is that quality matters to me above quantity.

No I was referring to your stylist. :) I seem to remember you going for growth on this site these past 2 years, so much... it is a bit sad, isn't it?

spirals
April 1st, 2016, 05:29 PM
My coworker's hair had gotten to hip or maybe BCL again and she just chopped it to APL with lots of layers. I am a bit sad to see it go, but honestly, it's super-cute on her. In fact, I kind of like it better, I begrudgingly admit!

Horrorpops
April 1st, 2016, 06:11 PM
Awww Sparklylady - I am sad to hear bleach damage caught up to your length. It can be quite insidious how it builds up and you don't notice it immediately.

Still your hair looks super thick and healthy after the cut! :) I am sure it'll grow like crazy with everything you've learnt and new healthy ends. it's good to see you back around :o

Quahatundightu
April 1st, 2016, 06:55 PM
Looking beautiful! It definitely gives you've good foundation to grow with very healthy looking hair. :flower:

Sparklylady82
April 2nd, 2016, 12:50 AM
Hey Sparkleylady82!! Welcome back!!!:toast: Your hair is pretty ALWAYS!! It will grow back nice and healthy this time around. I had to do a big chop, and yes, it was a bit/traumatic/ difficult to cut off my waist? length hair to apl and then to the chin length curly bob, but time passed by and my hair grew back without the damage from dying it. Yay!! You did the right thing!! Health before length!! :flowers: Try to have fun with this shorter length now, since it won't be long, (lol pun intended) before your hair will be too long to do a pretty, feminine, peacock french twist with chin length side bangs. ;) This was one of my favorite hairstyles to do as my hair grew back and allowed me to forget about the length it used to be before messing around with highlights and dying etc. Good luck hon!!:blossom::blossom:

Thanks so much LCT! I am really enjoying the trails up style v with a claw clip and side bangs! I'm just so excited to have healthy hair!

Welcome back to the site. Looks like we will grow at the same time, hope we reach our goals sooner than later!

Growing buddies!!!

No I was referring to your stylist. :) I seem to remember you going for growth on this site these past 2 years, so much... it is a bit sad, isn't it?

Of course.

Awww Sparklylady - I am sad to hear bleach damage caught up to your length. It can be quite insidious how it builds up and you don't notice it immediately.

Still your hair looks super thick and healthy after the cut! :) I am sure it'll grow like crazy with everything you've learnt and new healthy ends. it's good to see you back around :o

I forgot how thick my blunt ends are!! I'm so glad to be back :-)

Looking beautiful! It definitely gives you've good foundation to grow with very healthy looking hair. :flower:

Thanks! I hope it grows quickly this summer :-)

Sarahm
April 2nd, 2016, 03:54 AM
You're so courageous :) Your lengths looks really healthy now!

Groovy Granny
April 2nd, 2016, 01:40 PM
Welcome back ~ good to see you :)

Your hair looks great and I am happy YOU are happy!

I agree....QUALITY OVER QUANTITY :agree:....and have have snipped off chunks of layers and lost some length at times but it feels so good.

It will be back at waist before you know it ~ happy growing :cheer:

Sparklylady82
April 2nd, 2016, 02:55 PM
You're so courageous :) Your lengths looks really healthy now!
Thanks sarahm!

Welcome back ~ good to see you :)

Your hair looks great and I am happy YOU are happy!

I agree....QUALITY OVER QUANTITY :agree:....and have have snipped off chunks of layers and lost some length at times but it feels so good.

It will be back at waist before you know it ~ happy growing :cheer:
Thanks GG! Good to see you too!