PDA

View Full Version : Can I prevent my ends from becoming uneven?

XiaoBaiTu
March 31st, 2016, 05:33 PM
Hi all,

So I have had long hair for all my life, as soon as I was old enough for it to have become long (it's been at least waist length, usually longer, since age 3). However, my hair always seems to become rather uneven and thin towards the ends at about TBL. For years I've grown it to TBL or a tiny bit past, then had it trimmed back to hip because of the uneven ends. Is there a way to prevent this?

Anje
March 31st, 2016, 06:22 PM
Microtrimming every few months is supposed to help, and if you wear your hair up it might help the ends stay thicker, if you aren't in the habit of doing that. But my hair tends to thin out too, and years of trimming it didn't make a whole lot of difference for me. I've come to accept that at least now, if I want my hair past tailbone, I need to be OK with it fairytaling.

XiaoBaiTu
April 1st, 2016, 01:07 PM
I see. Well if it's going to be either TBL hair with a blunt hemline or fairytale ends with greater length, I can live with that too. I'm afraid to try microtrimming my own hair, since it's really very curly and I would hate to take off either too much or not an even amount.

spidermom
April 1st, 2016, 09:25 PM
Yup, tiny trims on a regular basis keeps the hem even. It won't prevent the ends from being thinner than hair higher up, though.

Garnetgem
April 1st, 2016, 10:00 PM
Regular trims will help but may take your hair longer to get the length you want,microtrimming is only way to not lose any length i assume...not tried that myself yet but plan to at some point..

CurlyCap
April 2nd, 2016, 02:36 AM
I see. Well if it's going to be either TBL hair with a blunt hemline or fairytale ends with greater length, I can live with that too. I'm afraid to try microtrimming my own hair, since it's really very curly and I would hate to take off either too much or not an even amount.

I feel your pain. Curly hair and micro trimming do not get along.

I am at classic now with very thin ends. My plan is to grow and then when I think I've gained more thickness further down, cut back (NOT a big chop). So....maybe at thigh I'll cut 3"....then again a little further down thigh. The idea being that over the year, I balance gaining length and getting a hemline I like.

It's a version of micro trimming that works for curlies. Also, at classic, it's finally seeming possible for me to just snip the ends. At every length before this, the best I could realistically do was a curl by curl cut.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2016, 03:00 AM
I don't tend to notice it becoming uneven because my hair is layered anyways. When I still practiced Feye's method, it didn't become uneven either, but that's the thing with iii hair, I think - at least for me. It doesn't do that as much. I am classic now and the ends are now tapered, but more so because it is layered.

Microtrimming & maintaining a length for a period of time is a great idea! I am doing so because the length now is really enough for me.

Unevenness on curls barely shows, IMMHO, so I wouldn't worry. I have wavy hair and I think the reason I don't tend to notice much is because of the fact that it shrinks up a tad and is uneven anyway. :shrug:

Wusel
April 2nd, 2016, 07:17 AM
I didn't cut/trim/microtrim/S&D my hair since 17 months, starting from a blunt chin+ long bob. You can see in my album how blunt and evenly cut it was. Now my hemline is pretty uneven but I like it somehow... Looks kinda... natural... I plan to even it out a bit when I reach waist+1" around January 2016.

Horrorpops
April 2nd, 2016, 07:50 AM
Mmmm, I'm not sure because my hair is only at waist but it seems like most people who grow hair past TBL/classic do it with a little fairytaling of the ends. I think to keep a really blunt hemline requires a lot of little trims like everyone else has suggested :) the downside as that eats up length and means it takes longer to grow!
I personally like a bit of unevenness or fairytale ends so I am happy to go a year without trims :o but it is all personal preference really

XiaoBaiTu
April 2nd, 2016, 07:57 AM
I feel your pain. Curly hair and micro trimming do not get along.

I am at classic now with very thin ends. My plan is to grow and then when I think I've gained more thickness further down, cut back (NOT a big chop). So....maybe at thigh I'll cut 3"....then again a little further down thigh. The idea being that over the year, I balance gaining length and getting a hemline I like.

It's a version of micro trimming that works for curlies. Also, at classic, it's finally seeming possible for me to just snip the ends. At every length before this, the best I could realistically do was a curl by curl cut.

That is a good point, I would have to snip curl by curl now unless I had someone trim it for me (not sure I trust anyone with my hair). The method you describe seems like something I might try.

Good luck with your own plans to thicken up the ends! Your hair must be so beautiful at classic length with curls. :)

XiaoBaiTu
April 2nd, 2016, 08:03 AM
I don't tend to notice it becoming uneven because my hair is layered anyways. When I still practiced Feye's method, it didn't become uneven either, but that's the thing with iii hair, I think - at least for me. It doesn't do that as much. I am classic now and the ends are now tapered, but more so because it is layered.

Microtrimming & maintaining a length for a period of time is a great idea! I am doing so because the length now is really enough for me.

Unevenness on curls barely shows, IMMHO, so I wouldn't worry. I have wavy hair and I think the reason I don't tend to notice much is because of the fact that it shrinks up a tad and is uneven anyway. :shrug:

Yes, that is true, my curls are pretty forgiving and hide the tapering ends pretty well.

Also, I feel I should clarify my reason for wanting a thicker, even hemline. I actually like the fairytale ends on myself, but every time I ask my mom to give me a TINY trim she sees that it is tapering at the ends, and chops my hair back from TBL to about hip to even it up. I have never had my hair more than an inch or so past TBL before my mom cuts it back. I know in her perception an even hemline = healthy hair, but I can't really gain any length if I lose 4-5 inches every year.

Wusel
April 2nd, 2016, 10:28 AM
I have never had my hair more than an inch or so past TBL before my mom cuts it back. I know in her perception an even hemline = healthy hair, but I can't really gain any length if I lose 4-5 inches every year.

It seems like all moms are the same... :D My mom also thinks that a tapered, fairytaled, uneven hemline means unhealthy, damaged har that needs a cut. Even when I show her that I have no splits, not even one split hair, the ends look unhealthy to her... I wonder why... For me hair looks unhealthy when I actually see thousands of split ends but as long as they are uneven but healthy, it's healthy hair that needs to stay away from scissors. :D

Cg
April 2nd, 2016, 01:04 PM
Wusel, perhaps your mother just thinks a ragged hemline looks unkempt.

XiaoBaiTu
April 2nd, 2016, 02:32 PM
It seems like all moms are the same... :D My mom also thinks that a tapered, fairytaled, uneven hemline means unhealthy, damaged har that needs a cut. Even when I show her that I have no splits, not even one split hair, the ends look unhealthy to her... I wonder why... For me hair looks unhealthy when I actually see thousands of split ends but as long as they are uneven but healthy, it's healthy hair that needs to stay away from scissors. :D

It would seem so! Luckily I'm way past the age where she just cuts my hair and I have no say in the matter, now I'm just dealing with her taking off too much when I only asked for a little trim.

Wusel
April 2nd, 2016, 02:55 PM
Wusel, perhaps your mother just thinks a ragged hemline looks unkempt.

Yes. Unkempt and unhealthy. :rolleyes: