PDA

View Full Version : I bought a wig! Advice?

FallingDarkness
March 31st, 2016, 10:32 AM
Basically want to wear it just for a day or two to shock people into thinking I actually dyed my hair black. What should I do with my hip+ length hair to make it stay underneath the wig believably?

Also if this doesn't work out it will all be okay I used a gift card to purchase it anyways :P

Anje
March 31st, 2016, 10:42 AM
I've heard good things about wig caps. I'd probably do a vortex bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27288), to keep it all flat-ish and close to the head.

laceyfairy
March 31st, 2016, 10:51 AM
Braid your hair and pin it flat to your head. I like to french braid it. Put on a wig cap, then the wig. You can use bobby pins to secure the wig to your wig cap once it's on. Styling the wig will help it look more natural, cut the bangs if relevant. Check the fiber type before heat-styling if that is something you want to do. If the wig is super shiny you can soak it in fabric softener for a up to a few days to decrease shine and make it softer. Have fun!

HeartofHaleth
March 31st, 2016, 10:54 AM
How short is the wig? I've worn a very short, boyish wig with waist-length hair, though mine wasn't as thick or long as yours. An easy way to make a decently functional wig cap is to take a pair of pantyhose and cut off the legs and crotch. That way you can put it on like a headband, and it's easier to catch the baby hairs at the hairline.

I agree that a vortex bun would probably be good; I made two braids and wrapped them around my head. It was way too bulky, and I had a nasty headache by the end of the day.

The key is to distribute the hair evenly all over the scalp. Your head will look bulkier, but an uneven projection or large lump will look very fake, and may make it difficult to keep the hairline where it needs to be. I ran into this problem with the hairline at the nape of my neck. The place where the two braids started and crossed was very thick, and the back of the wig kept slipping up as a result.

Wusel
March 31st, 2016, 11:41 AM
I have a short wig in strawberry blonde and I have a wig cap. When my hair was WL I used to make a french braid with a flat braided bun. My head looked a bit bulky but it didn't look too fake.

longhairjenny
March 31st, 2016, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=FallingDarkness;3199164]Basically want to wear it just for a day or two to shock people into thinking I actually dyed my hair black.

:hifive:

I love a good April Fools joke! Have fun!

Cg
March 31st, 2016, 03:57 PM
I twist my hair loosely and pin it coiled around the crown. Then add wig cap and a gel strip to anchor the wig.

AJNinami
March 31st, 2016, 04:14 PM
Some people will put concealer along the wig's part to make it look more natural, try to part your hair underneath it in the same spot. I'd rough it up a bit with the scissors at the ends and random spots on the canopy, and maybe some slight curling in the middle to give the impression of dye damage.

missrandie
March 31st, 2016, 04:36 PM
Some people will put concealer along the wig's part to make it look more natural, try to part your hair underneath it in the same spot. I'd rough it up a bit with the scissors at the ends and random spots on the canopy, and maybe some slight curling in the middle to give the impression of dye damage.

I did the concealer at the part thing. At one point, I was going to use some liquid latex to make it look even more realistic, but I never got that far.

FallingDarkness
March 31st, 2016, 11:51 PM
Thank you guys sooooooo much for your advice!