PDA

View Full Version : First time cutting my own hair!

PixieP
March 31st, 2016, 10:01 AM
I used spidermom's method of tying the hair under the chin and sliding a book down! I did it several times in a row, only taking about half a centimeter each time and checking in-between how it looked. I'm very satisfied with the result!

Before:
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t503/misherusedai/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9tmttevi.jpeg
As you can see my ends were very sparse... Stringy-looking and quite damaged. Majority of my hair hangs out around waist, but the longest ends could be stretched down to tailbone.

After:

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t503/misherusedai/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0zhdpnws.jpeg
A neater hairline, ends don't look as stringy, and I haven't lost that much length overall. 2-3 cms I'm guessing (I think that's about an inch for the Americans). On the front-picture I know it looks very blunt on one side, but I'd just combed it down, if I shake my head a little it looks better tapered.

It's not perfect! But for my first time I'm pleasantly suprised :) Absolutley gonna continue this.

Oh and now my husband wants me to cut his hair too XD lol!

parkmikii
March 31st, 2016, 10:08 AM
Looks great! Congrats :D

Pearly~91
March 31st, 2016, 10:30 AM
It looks great! A perfect example of a small trim that makes a difference!

lillielil
March 31st, 2016, 10:34 AM
Well done! I think I will try this method for my next trim (and pretend that I don't still have some layers).

lapushka
March 31st, 2016, 10:42 AM
That's pretty neat! You did great. :D

PixieP
March 31st, 2016, 11:04 AM
Thank you all!

Well done! I think I will try this method for my next trim (and pretend that I don't still have some layers).

I have lots of layers, I'm hoping that by trimming half a cm or so each month they'll even out eventually while my hair is still getting longer.

samanthaa
March 31st, 2016, 11:15 AM
It looks really good! I've been self-trimming for two years using Feye's method--I will have to look into Spidermom's!

PixieP
March 31st, 2016, 11:23 AM
Samanthaa it's explained in the "how do you tirm your own hair"-trhread, I posted in it today so it should be on the first of second page here in the mane forum :)

Wusel
March 31st, 2016, 11:34 AM
Good job! Looks very good! :)

Anje
March 31st, 2016, 11:34 AM
Looks really nice, and you didn't lose much length visually. Just cut back those couple of "sprinter hairs" that like to get ahead of everything else. :D

Groovy Granny
March 31st, 2016, 01:42 PM
I love that method; it works perfectly for me :)

Your hair looks great; l'm happy it worked well for you :thumbsup:

Llama
March 31st, 2016, 04:43 PM
You did a good job and it still looks really long!

Horrorpops
March 31st, 2016, 10:32 PM
Wow that looks awesome, great job! :o

embee
April 1st, 2016, 04:53 AM
Good for you! Brave. :) Looks pretty good too. Layers are often a pain.

bjr
April 1st, 2016, 12:47 PM
Looks wonderful! I know from experience that cutting your own hair is much harder than it seems :)

PixieP
April 1st, 2016, 01:12 PM
Thank you all so much for your nice comments! <3

Looks wonderful! I know from experience that cutting your own hair is much harder than it seems :)

It wasn't too bad actually! Spidermom's method made it really easy. You part your hair down the middle, put it in a pony under your chin, and slide a book down it, and then you use the book as a ruler to get it straight. The hardest part of it was making my part straight down the back of my head, husband had to help me out there :P

-Huldra-
April 1st, 2016, 01:35 PM
Looks great! :D

PixieP
April 1st, 2016, 02:09 PM
Hi Huldra! Another Norwegian :D

spidermom
April 1st, 2016, 04:49 PM
What a nice, even result.

I had a stylist cut off my thinnest 4-5 inches of layers early this month. When I look at it from the back, it looks absolutely even and blunt, but when I pull it to the front like I'm doing my own trim, the left side is noticeably longer. It's the weirdest thing!

Breanna
April 1st, 2016, 04:52 PM
Great job! That's very interesting, I've never heard of that method before. I might have to try it next time I trim :)

littlestarface
April 1st, 2016, 04:54 PM
Yeh this is the only method that actually worked for me, glad it worked for u too sweety.

PixieP
April 1st, 2016, 05:54 PM
What a nice, even result.

I had a stylist cut off my thinnest 4-5 inches of layers early this month. When I look at it from the back, it looks absolutely even and blunt, but when I pull it to the front like I'm doing my own trim, the left side is noticeably longer. It's the weirdest thing!

Thank you! Means alot coming from you ^_^

PixieP
April 2nd, 2016, 05:29 AM
I cut my husbands hair too!

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t503/misherusedai/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsrmll5nrt.jpeg
He'd had his hair up in a bun all day here so it looks kinda funky XD

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t503/misherusedai/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgko4w72f.jpeg
How it looks after a wash

I'm gonna need to go over it again. His hair is VERY thick and it has a lot of movement and layers. But he's happy, he has it in a bun or ponytail when he goes out so it doesn't bother him that the ends are a bit too blunt.

Groovy Granny
April 2nd, 2016, 09:07 PM
He's got great hair; love the color and texture :thumbsup:

Arctic
April 3rd, 2016, 01:31 AM
I cut my husbands hair too!

I'm gonna need to go over it again. His hair is VERY thick and it has a lot of movement and layers. But he's happy, he has it in a bun or ponytail when he goes out so it doesn't bother him that the ends are a bit too blunt.

Great job all and all on both of your hair!

For thick hair you probably would get the best results if you section the hair into manageable pieces. I don't have thick hair (it is pretty blunt though), and even I find that cutting all of my at once is too much (much depends of the shears too, professional, espcially big professional shears are designed to cut lot of hair, and I have only a 10 Euros pair of non-professional hair shears). I always section my into 2 sections at the very least, often into 3, 4 horizontal sections and then these sections vertically into manageable chunks. Then I trim the hemline that way. After dealing with hemline, I section off my layers and dust them a bit.

Does he have layers cut in?

PixieP
April 3rd, 2016, 06:10 AM
He's got great hair; love the color and texture :thumbsup:

You have no idea how envious I am about his hair :laugh: He on the other hand thinks it's too thick, he struggles to make a bun out if XD

Great job all and all on both of your hair!

For thick hair you probably would get the best results if you section the hair into manageable pieces. I don't have thick hair (it is pretty blunt though), and even I find that cutting all of my at once is too much (much depends of the shears too, professional, espcially big professional shears are designed to cut lot of hair, and I have only a 10 Euros pair of non-professional hair shears). I always section my into 2 sections at the very least, often into 3, 4 horizontal sections and then these sections vertically into manageable chunks. Then I trim the hemline that way. After dealing with hemline, I section off my layers and dust them a bit.

Does he have layers cut in?

Thank you Arctic!

He doesn't have layers cut in, when he started growing it out it quite short on the sides and back, and long enough on the top that he got it into a tiny ponytail. He just started to grow it out after that. He hasn't been to an hairdresser after, and I think it's about a year and a half ago he started growing it out (his hair grows so incredibly fast!). So the layers are weird since it was long on top and short on the sides when he started growing it.

This is taken Dec 2014:
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1526768_10152824591471830_6636566876293210886_n.jp g?oh=be497feb2883ff466a5a54b409bc0f08&oe=578AD79B
(he doesn't mind that I put this up)