PDA

View Full Version : Detangling methods/products after washing.

Wusel
March 31st, 2016, 04:18 AM
There are many. So, let's post them here. :)

Mine are: :)

Damp hair, conditioned with Aldi conditioner, conditioner rinsed out thoroughly,
Argan Oil of Morocco Extra Penetrating Oil ( Amount: about 1 teaspoon) evenly distributed from ear down,
wide tooth comb,
detangling 1-2inch strands,
from down to bottom,
one after another.
Length: BSL+1"=>26,6"
Duration: 15 minutes

Simsy
March 31st, 2016, 06:09 AM
I love this idea :D

My method is a little anal, while still somehow faster than it was before I gave up the hairbrush
Most of the sheds and break-offs are pulled out in the shower while still conditioning.
It's then wrapped in a towel while I get dry and dressed then, it's usually damp to wet when I start

-finger comb the entire length, bottom to top to get the worst bunches out and keep combing until I can't find any more knots. Sometimes I add Garnier Fructis Instant Detangler, comes in a spray pack, and makes the whole job much easier, also not a bad moisturiser in drastic circumstances.
-Add about 2 tablespoons (ish, this is never measured or consistent) Garnier Fructis oil, either the Sleek and Shine Anti-Fizz or the Miraculous Oil, and finger comb right through until my hands are relatively clear of oil.

Whole process might take 5-10 mins. I usually send longer in the shower combing through condish.

It gets another finger comb once it's dry several hours later, then braided or bunned.

Eta: no brush, no comb, just finger combing all the way through

Zesty
March 31st, 2016, 06:44 AM
I don't *properly* detangle very frequently in general, but my routine goes:

Post-wash in the shower with soaking wet hair, distribute a tiny bit of GVP Conditioning Balm (from Sally Beauty) throughout length and ends (no finger combing), rinse briefly to distribute further.

Hair in Aquis towel turban ~15+ minutes.

Let dry until no longer piecey (an hour or two?).

Very lazy and very gentle finger combing, just enough to finish LOC application. (2 minutes max)

Let dry.

My hair is 31"/WL.

So I guess my detangling process itself is less than five minutes, because I don't do it very thoroughly by any stretch of the imagination. My hair is exceedingly uncooperative while wet, so I definitely don't touch it with a comb until it's 100% dry -- which is usually the next day. When my hair is fully dry, tangles mostly fall out, even if it seemed snarly while damp. I don't even finger comb when in the shower, I just stick my fingers through my hair in a couple of locations to get conditioner applied. A full detangling session while wet or damp just sounds like a recipe for breakage to me.

ANYWAY, I don't even know if I can contribute to this thread, but I thought I'd go ahead. :p

Anya15
March 31st, 2016, 07:34 AM
Mine is:
I do a heavy overnight pre-poo oiling, so just before shampooing i comb with a wide-toothed comb. The tangles come out easily and by doing this, I have hardly any tangles post wash. ~5 minutes
After shampooing: I don't use conditioner. I scrunch in some aloe vera gel and plop for an hour. After taking it down I finger comb ~barely 2 min, there are almost no tangles
After it dries: I do another round of fingercombing ~2 min

That's it. :)

ETA: My hair is 25.5" and M, so it's mostly smooth and easy to detangle.

Wusel
March 31st, 2016, 07:45 AM
Mine is:
I do a heavy overnight pre-poo oiling, so just before shampooing i comb with a wide-toothed comb. The tangles come out easily and by doing this, I have hardly any tangles post wash. ~5 minutes
After shampooing: I don't use conditioner. I scrunch in some aloe vera gel and plop for an hour. After taking it down I finger comb ~barely 2 min, there are almost no tangles
After it dries: I do another round of fingercombing ~2 min

That's it. :)

ETA: My hair is 25.5" and M, so it's mostly smooth and easy to detangle.

I was thinking about purchasing some Aloe Vera Gel because my local drugstore carries it, only recently, they didn't have it before. It's 99% pure Aloe Vera. Do you have the same almost pure gel or is it mixed with something? How much of it do you use? Does it make your hair more sleek? Is it sticky? It's not cheap, 14 Euros for 170ml, so I'm not sure if it's worth a try. I need moisture. Lots of moisture but no protein. Does it moisturize well?
Questions upon questions... :bounce:

Anje
March 31st, 2016, 07:50 AM
I usually give my hair a quick combing before I shower, then detangle (mostly just aligning the hairs) after I take it out of the towel. I'll smooth a few drops of oil, probably avocado at the moment, over the length and ends and run a comb gently through it. Takes maybe 5 minutes, tops. My hair sticks to my hands when wet, so no finger combing till it's dry.

I wash the scalp with the hair hanging down and condition it the same way. Piling my hair up causes a lot more tangles and doesn't accomplish anything. Hair is fine to medium, not that thick, and hangs to my hands.

lapushka
March 31st, 2016, 07:56 AM
I use the LOC/LCO method. Link is in my signature. It consists of a leave-in, then an oil or serum, then a gel. I do the gel first, then the serum, so LCO. About a coinsize of each. More than enough for classic length hair (ear down), and the leave-in mostly on the ends.

Anya15
March 31st, 2016, 08:08 AM
I was thinking about purchasing some Aloe Vera Gel because my local drugstore carries it, only recently, they didn't have it before. It's 99% pure Aloe Vera. Do you have the same almost pure gel or is it mixed with something? How much of it do you use? Does it make your hair more sleek? Is it sticky? It's not cheap, 14 Euros for 170ml, so I'm not sure if it's worth a try. I need moisture. Lots of moisture but no protein. Does it moisturize well?
Questions upon questions... :bounce:

Well...I've tried all kinds of conditioners, coney ones, cone-free ones etc, all of them basically destroy my waves and make my hair greasy very quickly. I use very little aloe vera gel on my hair, about the size of a penny. It makes my hair very soft and silky while keeping the waves :) I have the 99% pure gel. It works for me because conditioners don't work on my hair and aloe vera gel is VERY cheap here. It moisturizes well enough, but I live in a very humid place. If you live in a dry climate it may not moisturize enough.
I bought a 500ml box of it for around 200 rupees which is about 2.65 euros according to google.

Carolyn
March 31st, 2016, 08:48 AM
I don't have much problem detangling since my hair recovered from professional color removal several years ago. I had pretty bad post wash tangles for about a year after that. My current routine is brush with my Wet to Dry brush before getting in the shower. Once in a while I will do an over night oiling and wash it out the next morning. In the shower, I swap my products around every wash. I do a plain old S & C wash. Since I wash standing in the shower I don't get many tangles. I wrap my hair in a terrycloth baby bath towel. I like them because they are very absorbent and stretchy. I am using my sons old baby bath towels from years ago. Good quality stuff! I leave my hair wrapped in the towel maybe 10 minutes and take it down. I use a Mebco detangling comb. It's available at Sallys and it's the best detangling comb I've found. Detangling is very simple for me. It wouldn't be if I didn't use conditioner. Sometimes I use Aveda Damage Remedy leave in. It smells heavenly. I know that sounds like a lot of steps but everything other than the actual washing takes less than a minute.

LongCurlyTress
March 31st, 2016, 09:15 AM
As a curlygirl 3b, fine, iii, I can only detangle my hair in the shower after using super diluted shampoo, rinse that out, and then in small one inch or so sections, I use my Madora comb and gobs of conditioner on each section, starting from tips to scalp, and I hold the small section about midway up the length so I don't pull out any hairs from the root. I continue detangling this way, and with each new section I add more gobs of thick Kirkland Conditioner and detangle slowly each small section using my comb. When I finish detangling, I rinse out most if not all of the conditioner in the shower. Then I squeeze out the water and wrap my hair around my hand to get out the excess water. Then I take a regular towel and do a turban twist with my hair. About 15 minutes later, I take my hair gently out of the towel and squeeze the water some more. By this time, the towel is thoroughly soaked so a Turbie twist no longer absorbs all the water anymore for me, but a thick towel does. Anyways, I put a dime sized amount of Evoo in my palms, and spread that through just the ends. Then I take another Madora comb.. I have two..;) one for in the shower detangling and one for out of the shower detangling... I comb slowly through my length, and then carefully stand up, move my hair behind my back and shoulders and then shake my head to loosen up the crown hairs. By this time, the knots are out of my hair and it is just a matter of smoothing out the crown hairs with my BBB brush and then putting my length into a damp bun to dry. So, no detangling really outside of the shower for me. :D

JustPam
March 31st, 2016, 09:22 AM
I detangle with the Tangle Teezer while my conditioner is in. My hair only seems to be safely detanglable while either soaking wet or bone dry, anything in between is a PITA.

Deborah
March 31st, 2016, 09:42 AM
After washing (no conditioner) I wrap my hair in a turbie for a while, then let hair down to fully dry, and only then detangle, first with my fingers, then with my WIDU wooden pin brush.

Wusel
March 31st, 2016, 09:44 AM
Well...I've tried all kinds of conditioners, coney ones, cone-free ones etc, all of them basically destroy my waves and make my hair greasy very quickly. I use very little aloe vera gel on my hair, about the size of a penny. It makes my hair very soft and silky while keeping the waves :) I have the 99% pure gel. It works for me because conditioners don't work on my hair and aloe vera gel is VERY cheap here. It moisturizes well enough, but I live in a very humid place. If you live in a dry climate it may not moisturize enough.
I bought a 500ml box of it for around 200 rupees which is about 2.65 euros according to google.

Thank you! :)
OMG... SO cheap in your country... It's because Aloe Vera plants grow there everywhere outside, I suppose? :)

lillielil
March 31st, 2016, 09:47 AM
Here's mine:

CWC (or however I'm washing) standing up in the shower.
Squeeze out as much water as I can.
Put hair in turbie twist (hanging down, not flipped up) while I get dressed.
Shake/rake/finger comb a bit. Comb bangs down.
Apply something to ends. "Something" can be Suave Moroccan Oil (coney serum), split-end glue, oil, or Nightblooming hair salve.
Bun.
Commute.
Un-bun.
Shake/rake/finger comb, leave until dry-ish. Maybe detangle with wide-toothed horn comb.
Re-bun.

Wusel
March 31st, 2016, 09:48 AM
As a curlygirl 3b, fine, iii, I can only detangle my hair in the shower after using super diluted shampoo, rinse that out, and then in small one inch or so sections, I use my Madora comb and gobs of conditioner on each section, starting from tips to scalp, and I hold the small section about midway up the length so I don't pull out any hairs from the root. I continue detangling this way, and with each new section I add more gobs of thick Kirkland Conditioner and detangle slowly each small section using my comb. When I finish detangling, I rinse out most if not all of the conditioner in the shower. Then I squeeze out the water and wrap my hair around my hand to get out the excess water. Then I take a regular towel and do a turban twist with my hair. About 15 minutes later, I take my hair gently out of the towel and squeeze the water some more. By this time, the towel is thoroughly soaked so a Turbie twist no longer absorbs all the water anymore for me, but a thick towel does. Anyways, I put a dime sized amount of Evoo in my palms, and spread that through just the ends. Then I take another Madora comb.. I have two..;) one for in the shower detangling and one for out of the shower detangling... I comb slowly through my length, and then carefully stand up, move my hair behind my back and shoulders and then shake my head to loosen up the crown hairs. By this time, the knots are out of my hair and it is just a matter of smoothing out the crown hairs with my BBB brush and then putting my length into a damp bun to dry. So, no detangling really outside of the shower for me. :D

Very interesting :) Thank you for the detailed description of your routine :)

Wusel
March 31st, 2016, 09:50 AM
I don't have much problem detangling since my hair recovered from professional color removal several years ago. I had pretty bad post wash tangles for about a year after that. My current routine is brush with my Wet to Dry brush before getting in the shower. Once in a while I will do an over night oiling and wash it out the next morning. In the shower, I swap my products around every wash. I do a plain old S & C wash. Since I wash standing in the shower I don't get many tangles. I wrap my hair in a terrycloth baby bath towel. I like them because they are very absorbent and stretchy. I am using my sons old baby bath towels from years ago. Good quality stuff! I leave my hair wrapped in the towel maybe 10 minutes and take it down. I use a Mebco detangling comb. It's available at Sallys and it's the best detangling comb I've found. Detangling is very simple for me. It wouldn't be if I didn't use conditioner. Sometimes I use Aveda Damage Remedy leave in. It smells heavenly. I know that sounds like a lot of steps but everything other than the actual washing takes less than a minute.

So stupid that I've thrown away all my sons baby bath towels! :justy: Great stuff, your right, very soft and gentle to skin and hair :)

Wusel
March 31st, 2016, 09:55 AM
Here's mine:

CWC (or however I'm washing) standing up in the shower.
Squeeze out as much water as I can.
Put hair in turbie twist (hanging down, not flipped up) while I get dressed.
Shake/rake/finger comb a bit. Comb bangs down.
Apply something to ends. "Something" can be Suave Moroccan Oil (coney serum), split-end glue, oil, or Nightblooming hair salve.
Bun.
Commute.
Un-bun.
Shake/rake/finger comb, leave until dry-ish. Maybe detangle with wide-toothed horn comb.
Re-bun.

Bun!
Un-bun!
Re-bun!
Great. :D Made me laugh. :bounce:

spirals
March 31st, 2016, 09:57 AM
I don't put any products in after, unless you count oil after it's dry, and I'm not consistent with that. Anyway, I do CWCR and then detangle with https://dannigirl2013.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/cimg4122.jpg My conditioner is Tresemme moisturizing. For wash I use Yes to Tomatoes soap for problem skin and my rinse is c.a. rinse or vinegar rinse.

Anya15
March 31st, 2016, 12:48 PM
Thank you! :)
OMG... SO cheap in your country... It's because Aloe Vera plants grow there everywhere outside, I suppose? :)

I suppose so...it's a hot climate we have so it probably grows very well. I know a lot of people who don't buy gel, they just cut off a leaf from the plant and take out the gel.
I live in a dorm so I have to buy the gel :P

Nadine <3
March 31st, 2016, 01:47 PM
I detangle (more like shed removal) in the shower with my fingers soaked in conditioner. After my hair has been in a turbie I gently shake it out and then add a mixture of almond oil, cocoa butter and a silicone serum to my entire length but focusing on the ends. After it dries fully I go through it with a tangle teezer and bun it.

LongCurlyTress
March 31st, 2016, 02:11 PM
Very interesting :) Thank you for the detailed description of your routine :)

You are so welcome! When my hair was shorter at apl to bsl, I was able to finger detangle my hair always with gobs of condtitioner in the shower and didn't need a comb. Then I could also scrunch up the curls that were soaked with conditioner to give the spirals a head start in the shower. Now, my hair tangles too much when I do this and also I end up ripping the ends apart due to finger detangling. The comb is much gentler and more precise. Good luck finding your system for hair detangling. I think it's mostly trial and error and depends alot on hairtype, thickness and length... what will work for you. ;) Good luck!! ;)

Arctic
March 31st, 2016, 02:17 PM
My most commonly used routine:

- it starts in the shower, I aim to keep my hair alligned the best I can all the time, and when I rinse out the conditioner, hairs will allign then if they have been messed up a bit during shampooing.
- squeeze water out, apply leave-in
- t-shirt turban for 5-ish minutes
- bend down from waist, and hang my hair down, breaking the wet clumps with my fingers, and rocking my head back and forth a bit
- then I usually let it be for a short while, then comb with wide tooth comb (I don't always comb, but especially if I am going to blow dry, I do comb)
- repeat the upside down method few times while hair is drying

If I don't count the washing time, the time when my hair is in turban, nor the possible blow drying time, my routine only takes few minutes.

hobbitlocks
March 31st, 2016, 03:27 PM
- I detangle with a widetoothed comb before I get in the shower. I've noticed a lot less in-shower shedding since I started this.
- I'm not doing for this purpose, but I effectively finger detangle my hair while applying conditioner (not sure how else to!).
- Sometimes I forget, but before rinsing I often detangle with a wide tooth comb, takes me maybe 2 minutes? 3? That's it.

I don't detangle again until it's dry (if I notice something I'd use my fingers to detangle it, but no combing or anything). I do use one of nightblooming's salves on my ends while they're still damp, but I don't comb before or after. So if I showered in the morning I won't detangle until I go to bed and if I showered before bed I'll detangle when I get up and my styling my hair for the day. I only have issues with tangles if I wear my hair down for a prolonged period of time though.

Hairkay
March 31st, 2016, 04:18 PM
If it's midweek I'll just preen my plaits/braids and put a little oil on the ends. On weekends after I've conditioned my hair with a fruit hair mask, I'll rinse then one by one each wet plait gets undone. I'll finger detangle, preen and redo the plait then move on the the next plait. Sometimes I'll undo the lot finger detangling as I go, then change my style to a new formation of plaits. The damp plait hair ends get a little oil and my hair is done. Combing I keep for rare occasions.

Llama
March 31st, 2016, 04:39 PM
I still haven't figured out the perfect detangling routine. I try not to comb or brush my hair while it's wet but I have to do it at least a little or else it will never dry lol.
So yeah, I mostly detangle on dry hair- once in the morning and once at night. Sometimes just at night because having a little bit of tangles makes hairstyles look better on me.
I haven't been using detangling products as much lately but putting oil on my hair before I start always helps immensely.
I have to separate my hair into several sections, I finger detangle or comb each section first and then brush with my Widu. Once I'm done with a section I ponytail it with a scrunchie so I don't have to overlap onto hair I've already brushed

HeartofHaleth
March 31st, 2016, 05:40 PM
I do my big detangle in the shower when I have my second round of conditioner on...is that wrong? :confused: I do an ACV rinse last thing, squeeze my hair a bit with a nice soft tshirt, and leave it alone. Since it's usually just in and out of buns all week long, I don't usually have any real tangles. Sometimes my ends will get a bit wonky, but a little finger combing solves it. I don't really put anything on after I wash it...if my ends seem unhappy, I'll get them wet and put just a little bit of a light oil on them.

LongCurlyTress
April 1st, 2016, 10:52 AM
I do my big detangle in the shower when I have my second round of conditioner on...is that wrong? :confused: I do an ACV rinse last thing, squeeze my hair a bit with a nice soft tshirt, and leave it alone. Since it's usually just in and out of buns all week long, I don't usually have any real tangles. Sometimes my ends will get a bit wonky, but a little finger combing solves it. I don't really put anything on after I wash it...if my ends seem unhappy, I'll get them wet and put just a little bit of a light oil on them.

I also detangle in the shower using a comb with gobs of conditioner too! Finger detangling doesn't get all my tangles out and actually tears at the ends as I pull them apart. I think fingerdetangling works for some, but my hair is so thick, I would be in the shower for days without my Madora comb and thick Kirkland conditioner... plus more hair would break. I have tried just using my fingers and this is what happens to me... ;) When my hair was shorter until maybe bsl, I used to finger detangle still with gobs of conditioner.... in the shower, but now I need my comb. Gotta have my comb! ;)

bjr
April 1st, 2016, 12:52 PM
When I wash my hair, I try not to detangle until it's almost completely dry. Because my hair is so fine, it hates any wet combing :(
On a regular basis, I don't usually have a lot of detangling to do, as I keep my hair in braids most of the time. Makes my life easier :D