PDA

View Full Version : Normal thinning due to age? I need some perspective.

mountainfog
March 30th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Hi everybody!

I've been reading the boards at The Long Hair Community for about 8 years now, and I've decided to finally post. I think I need a bit of a perspective check. I've felt lately that my hair has gotten a lot thinner, and is thinning more rapidly. I'm not sure if this is just normal thinning due to age (I'm 34, comparing my hair to my teens and early 20s) or if there's something more going on. The thinning in the last year or so has been especially noticeable.
I thought I was being overly worried until last week when I found an old braid of mine. Kinda weird, I know, but when I was about 22 I grew my hair out to donate to Locks of Love (this was before I found this site and learned the truth about their practices) but wasn't sure where to send it, so I put it in a desk drawer until I had a chance to research. I apparently forgot about it, because I found the braid at my mom's house last weekend. It gave me a chance to compare my current braid, and it's so much thinner!

Hair comparison picture is here: http://imgur.com/EVIfYtl (ignore the super messy braid!)

I guess what I'm asking with all this rambling is: does that seem like a normal amount of hair loss going from 22 to 34? My mom has very thin, fine, hair. Maybe it's genetics catching up with me? I'm also planning on going to the doctor to check for medical reasons (hormones, vitamins, anything else I should get checked?) but just moved to a new city and am working on finding a doctor.

Thanks so much for reading this far! :D

Anje
March 30th, 2016, 11:51 AM
It might be genetics, but it isn't necessarily normal.

I've been here 9 years and I'm 33. In the time since I joined, my ponytail has very slowly gone from 2.25 inches in circumference to just over 3.0 inches. Both of those are including the bangs that I've cut and regrown in that period, both gathered near the nape. So my hair has thickened, not thinned, with age. Also relevant: I was on hormonal birth control at the beginning of that time and I am not on hormones now, and I have not been pregnant at any point. I did not have a shed period when I switched birth control methods, which some people do.

lapushka
March 30th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I don't see thinning necessarily. The one braid is a little looser and longer and that might account for the differences. Also, is your hair layered now, vs. a more unlayered braid? It's not something to be alarmed over, IMMHO. :flower:

mountainfog
March 30th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Thank you for the reply!

I've had a few friends tell me I'm worrying for nothing. I haven't been on birth control in years, and wasn't at 22. It's especially frustrating because back then I box dyed it whenever I got bored, and straightened often. Now, thanks mostly to this site, my hair is my natural color, I don't use heat at all, and I'm pretty gentle with it. I guess it's time to start experimenting (and going to the doctor, of course).

Thanks again!

mountainfog
March 30th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Thanks lapushka! I have a few layers now, but I had side bangs back then. The layers now might be more severe though. I'm planning on moving toward a one-length style and see if that helps.

Anje
March 30th, 2016, 01:38 PM
It's plausible that with your hair healthier, it compacts down more than it used to. I know mine squashes down a ton when I put it up or braid it.

Lavendersugar
March 30th, 2016, 02:15 PM
In the pic is that all of your or just one side?

Asking because it looks parted and to the side.

mountainfog
March 30th, 2016, 02:25 PM
It's all of my hair. It's just a weird angle with my head turned (spent 5 minutes trying to angle the camera properly above my head.)

Wusel
March 30th, 2016, 02:43 PM
What I see in the picture is that your hair is very layered now and I think that's why the braid looks thinner... And healthy, virgin hair is often less fluffy so that braids look thinner. In my case it depends on which products I use... Some make my hair dryer and the braid looks ticker and some make it very soft and the braid looks thinner. Just imagine, when you braid dry hay it looks ticker than when you moisturize and braid it.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 30th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Whatever the cause of the thinning is, it is very unlikely to be due to age when you are only 34. 54 or 64, then maybe. I would look for another reason.

Wusel
March 31st, 2016, 03:37 AM
Whatever the cause of the thinning is, it is very unlikely to be due to age when you are only 34. 54 or 64, then maybe. I would look for another reason.

That's true... You're too young. Some women (not all of them, there are many options to avoid that) experience a bit of thinning in their menopause but you are far away from menopause.
And, as I wrote above, I don't think it's really thinner. It looks quite the same where the braid starts, it's just the layers which make it appear thinner.