PDA

View Full Version : Child with psoriasis wants long hair

Sunshineliz
March 29th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Asking this question for a friend. Her daughter is 11 and desperately wants long hair. Her hair is thin and fine in the first place and she uses a scalp medicine that her mother says damages her hair. The mom just wants to keep her hair above shoulders but her daughter cries and refuses to let her hair be trimmed more than an inch at a time. It's a struggle between them and I was wondering if there was a way to let them both have what they want-- healthy hair, but also longer.

Any advice?

Christine_O
March 29th, 2016, 07:20 PM
What would they be using that would cause hair damage? I used to use Selenium Sulfide, which is pretty standard for psoriasis. It didn't damage my hair, and I have very fine hair. I stopped using SS when I started using the Nioxin system to try and keep my hair from thinning. I just stopped needing the selenium treatments.

It sounds to me like there may be a disagreement here between mother and daughter. My mom wouldn't let me have long hair either. I grew it out after I got into high school.

Wusel
March 30th, 2016, 03:24 AM
It sounds to me like there may be a disagreement here between mother and daughter. My mom wouldn't let me have long hair either. I grew it out after I got into high school.

From a special education teacher's point of view it's an educational fault. Children have their rights too... I would love my son have an undercut with a mohawk but he hates it and wants his hair look standard and a bit longer like all the other boys in his school. Do I force him and shave half of his head? Of course not. If he wanted to grow his hair down to his butt I'd allow him. It's HIS head and he has the right to decide what happens with it. It's a part of his development, growing up from child to adult and becoming independent.

lapushka
March 30th, 2016, 06:33 AM
If it's not a good idea because her scalp is in too bad of a condition - I'm sorry but the child has to come to some form of acceptance on the matter. Sometimes kids, however, need to learn the hard way, so... It's really between mom & daughter. And the treatment is between them & their doctor. :flower: I'm not much help, am I. ;)

henné
March 30th, 2016, 06:57 AM
I don't understand why her mom cares so much about keeping her hair short. I think the mom needs to step back and let her daughter have the hair she wants.

Also, I don't understand that about the medication that damages hair ... maybe they need to find another doctor.

henné
March 30th, 2016, 07:09 AM
I also don't understand why would anyone let their child get so distressed over something this unimportant (in the grand scheme of things). Who does it hurt if she has long hair? Does it hurt the daughter? No. Will it hurt the mother? No. Will it hurt anyone else? No. The mother's insistence to keep her daughter from growing her hair is hurting the daughter and their relationship with each other ...

I was 12 when I decided to chop off all my hair because I just entered puberty and that's what I wanted. My mom was sad about me cutting all of my lovely hair, but she realised it was not her place to impart any sort of opinion or even prevent me from doing so ... it was my hair.

Wusel
March 30th, 2016, 08:09 AM
I also don't understand why would anyone let their child get so distressed over something this unimportant (in the grand scheme of things). Who does it hurt if she has long hair? Does it hurt the daughter?

That's a good point. I think the stress makes her psoriasis even worse. Most skin symptoms worsen when you're under pressure and distressed. So, yes. I think it actually hurts the daughter.

henné
March 30th, 2016, 08:29 AM
That's a good point. I think the stress makes her psoriasis even worse. Most skin symptoms worsen when you're under pressure and distressed. So, yes. I think it actually hurts the daughter.

I didn't even think of it that way ... so yeah, in her search of making the daughter's symptoms lessen, the mom might actually be exacerbating them ...

Eastbound&Down
March 30th, 2016, 08:44 AM
My parents raised us in a very strict household, but even then, what we did with our hair was a non-issue. Want to dye your hair pink? Sure, but only during the summer. Want to grow it to your knees then chop it into a pixie? Go for it. Not everything was like that, piercings and tattoos were strictly a no-go (except for our ears) but hair was ours to control. It sounds to me like a power struggle between the two, and to me, I think the mom should let it go. As others have posted, what's it going to hurt? As a parent myself, I feel like there are SO many other things that are important than how your child want to style their hair. Especially for an 11 y/o girl, just let her do it.

Beborani
March 30th, 2016, 09:44 AM
If they are using coal tar based creams it can get a bit messy but longer hair will draw the attention away from the skin condition and put the focus on hair. I think the mother should let her grow and learn to take care of the hair.

Doom
March 30th, 2016, 10:10 AM
The girl should be taken to a dermatologist, who should then be asked the same question.

Nadine <3
March 30th, 2016, 10:16 AM
To me this just sounds like the mother wants to control what her daughter looks like. An 11 year old is more than old enough to decided how she wears her own hair. Scalp condition or not.

Silverbleed
March 30th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Chances are when her child is older, she may find it much more important the way she looks than her condition because she finally gets to decide over her appearance. If this is what she wants, you're not going to change her mind. Especially at 11 years old xD

teal
March 30th, 2016, 10:47 AM
Maybe the mother is doing the bulk of the haircare. My mom had no problems helping me with long hair as a child, but my aunt really did not want to deal with long hair at all and both her and her daughter's hair were always cut quite short. If daughter cannot reliably wash hair herself, I could see why mom doesn't want her to have it longer.

Is there any concern about a specific problem with long hair, eg. are symptoms made worse if it's in a ponytail and thus inflaming by pulling at roots or holding moisture near the scalp or something? (I'm just making things up here, feel free to replace with actual examples as appropriate.)

Is this girl ready to take on more direct management of her condition (with support)? It'll have to happen at some point anyway and the transition should probably be starting around this age, but if she's still mostly in that kid mode with the attention span of a goldfish, maybe now is not the right time despite all the waterworks. Maybe work on daughter taking on additional responsibility with unsupervised tasks in other life areas and revisit it in a few months?

In any case, a serious discussion needs to happen between mom and daughter. If the concerns are based in management of psoriasis, there may have to be some compromise. If the mom simply thinks the daughter's hair will look limp and unattractive because the shampoo is harsh to it, well, this might be something the daughter needs to experience for herself. Why not come up with some parameters for a trial run, and conditions of success/failure? (Even the experience of setting up a trial is a useful life lesson.)

lapushka
March 30th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Maybe the mother is doing the bulk of the haircare. My mom had no problems helping me with long hair as a child, but my aunt really did not want to deal with long hair at all and both her and her daughter's hair were always cut quite short. If daughter cannot reliably wash hair herself, I could see why mom doesn't want her to have it longer.

Is there any concern about a specific problem with long hair, eg. are symptoms made worse if it's in a ponytail and thus inflaming by pulling at roots or holding moisture near the scalp or something? (I'm just making things up here, feel free to replace with actual examples as appropriate.)

Is this girl ready to take on more direct management of her condition (with support)? It'll have to happen at some point anyway and the transition should probably be starting around this age, but if she's still mostly in that kid mode with the attention span of a goldfish, maybe now is not the right time despite all the waterworks. Maybe work on daughter taking on additional responsibility with unsupervised tasks in other life areas and revisit it in a few months?

In any case, a serious discussion needs to happen between mom and daughter. If the concerns are based in management of psoriasis, there may have to be some compromise. If the mom simply thinks the daughter's hair will look limp and unattractive because the shampoo is harsh to it, well, this might be something the daughter needs to experience for herself. Why not come up with some parameters for a trial run, and conditions of success/failure? (Even the experience of setting up a trial is a useful life lesson.)

Totally agree. This is not just a kid that doesn't get to do what she wants and let's all stand up for her. This is a medical condition she's having that needs to be managed - by someone. And that someone is, I'm guessing, her mom. If mom doesn't want the hassle of long hair, it is *perfectly* understandable. Until she can take on that responsibility herself, it's a case of my way or the highway, I'm afraid. And that's only fair considering the *entire* situation.

March 30th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Also, I don't understand that about the medication that damages hair ... maybe they need to find another doctor. ^ THAT. Can't she use something less harsh, like oiling her scalp or doing scalp peeling w/ natural ingredients? And dilute normal sls shampoo instead of using these creepy medicated ones? Then she'll be able to have long hair. Sure her condition needs to be HEALED not managed. She can't stay sick forever...

PixieP
March 30th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I have scalp psoriasis, and I've had it from shoulder length hair to the length I have now. How long my hair is, has never affected my scalp. No that's wrong. My scalp is better now that I have long hair. Now that my hair is long, I can stretch washes much more; greasy hair is more noticeable in shorter hair IMO. Longer hair is easier to keep in a braid or a bun, wich means (for me) less tangling and then less brushing (wich bothers my scalp). My scalp is happier when I have my hair up than down.

I don't understand what kind of treatment she's on that hurts her hair, unless it methotrexate, wich is chemo basically. But an 11 year old child shouldn't be put on that for scalp psoriasis.

I use Dermovat for my hair, it is a liquid cortisone steroid solution. It stings like a b***h applying it, but it works VERY well. And it leaves no traces in the hair whatsoever when it dries, nor does it mess with the hair quality. Here it's a prescription thing, probably would be where you live too.

They totally should get an appoinment with a dermtologist if they don't already. GP doctors usually aren't that knowledgeable about all the types of medications and ointments and so on that can be used on psoriasis.

Also they should consider getting her shampoo specifically made for those with psoriasis. A-Derma and Decubal have some very good ones.

PixieP
March 30th, 2016, 12:25 PM
^ THAT. Can't she use something less harsh, like oiling her scalp or doing scalp peeling w/ natural ingredients? And dilute normal sls shampoo instead of using these creepy medicated ones? Then she'll be able to have long hair. Sure her condition needs to be HEALED not managed. She can't stay sick forever...

There is no healing psoriasis. It can only be managed. And you need the "creepy medicated" things. This is an autoimmune disease. Not just some dry skin. It's a medical problem and it needs to be treated as such.

lapushka
March 30th, 2016, 12:54 PM
I use Dermovat for my hair, it is a liquid cortisone steroid solution. It stings like a b***h applying it, but it works VERY well. And it leaves no traces in the hair whatsoever when it dries, nor does it mess with the hair quality. Here it's a prescription thing, probably would be where you live too.

They totally should get an appoinment with a dermtologist if they don't already. GP doctors usually aren't that knowledgeable about all the types of medications and ointments and so on that can be used on psoriasis.

Also they should consider getting her shampoo specifically made for those with psoriasis. A-Derma and Decubal have some very good ones.

Over here it is called "Dermovate" and I have it in cream form (for my pain patches, they leave behind red marks (strong glue, strong meds)). It is a pretty strong corticosteroid, to my understanding. I don't always use it - only when the marks get particularly bad looking - because it is a strong cream.

There is no healing psoriasis. It can only be managed. And you need the "creepy medicated" things. This is an autoimmune disease. Not just some dry skin. It's a medical problem and it needs to be treated as such.

Exactly this. ^^

I also read that the child has thin hair; thin hair and a bad scalp are hard to manage, especially if the issue is a bad one and she has a bad case of it. Another reason why she may still need her mom's help. And if mom has to help and has other children or other things going on (work, household to run), then no wonder she wants to keep the hair contained and short. Perfectly understandable in my book.

lillielil
March 30th, 2016, 12:54 PM

Thank you for saying this. Shampoos and other topical treatments (including scalp oiling and de-scaling) can help ameliorate some of the symptoms, which can be very serious. And unfortunately she can stay sick forever. That's how it works.

I feel like there is a tendency on this board to jump to the conclusion that scalp issues are SD, and treat them as such. While that may be the case for many individuals, psoriasis is a different condition entirely and treating it as a fungal infection will never make it any better. If it is severe, it most likely needs to be treated with systemic medications (including biologics) and those drugs are serious indeed. There is a lot more to it than some flaky skin. Scalp oil and "natural ingredients" aren't doing to do a damn thing for any of the other symptoms, including arthritis, depression and anxiety, fatigue, and weakened immune system. Vitamin D deficiency is common in people who have psoriasis (maybe because they have less sunlight exposure due to the social stigma of the disease? I don't know if a causal relationship has actually been studied, but I'm going out on a limb here) and that can be treated naturally, but it is no cure.

That said, I don't see why otherwise healthy hair would need to be cut short, especially if she feels strongly about it. I don't think it would be any harder to apply treatments to the scalp with very long hair vs shoulder length. If she has flakes they may be harder to brush out of longer hair, but that's the only real issue I can think of.

March 30th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I know skin conditions are serious, I have eczema. Autoimmune diseases can be healed. "Autoimmune" is just a word that's used by medical professionals to sound more serious and knowledgeable to clients, no offense. Read some research about cortisone, not just advertising. There's interesting research going around in Japan.

cortisone steroid
I used cortisone on my hand eczema when I was teen. It made my hands bleed, I barely could move my hands and I had white pus. I spent 4 years home shooled, I got so sick from amazing cortisone. My mother got angry and tried that cortisone cream on her own healthy hands and you know what? She got eczema after applying it! Cortisone works like this... Some people get worse after it, like me. Some get better, even perfect, that's why it sells so well. But here's the catch - these that get better do so because cortisone works by literally trying to turn off your immune system on patch of skin it's applied to. That's why you 'feel better' - your immune system just got compromised by cortisone and it doesn't react in a way it normally should. Now you're dependent on it and you have to take it forever or symptoms will return. Meanwhile, even though you don't see symptoms you're still sick. Google around for people with eczema that try to get off cortisone. They HAVE to take cortisone because if they stop they start to have eczema over their WHOLE BODY, in places when they never had it before they started this 'treatment'. They seemed to be better but they're actually sicker due to cortisone. It's called cortisone addiction and cortisone withdrawal. You have to withdraw from it if you want to stop because it's a drug. It's not just some harmless lotion.

The only way to get rid of skin conditions for good is to find their cause and remove it. Don't add anything. Remove the cause. Then condition will stop and will never return. It's hard to do though, because most people don't know what causes their problems. It has to be found out by trial and error, can take years. It can be environmental like dust mites, food allergies that aren't obvious because they don't produce symptoms right away (for example you eat something you're allergic to but you'll get eczema the next day, not while you eat), even allergy to detergents in some cases and many other possible factors. So it IS hard to heal but it's possible.

But what you're to do before you heal it? Yeah, manage it. But with safe, non-toxic options. Two things that are important is moisturizing and peeling. You can moisturize just fine with water/herbal teas (I use green tea as 'toner' for my face and sometimes apply it to my hands too), oil your skin, use butters, whatever works for you best and you aren't allergic to. Peeling - kessa glove is perfect for body skin and hands, you can use coffee grounds or cinnamon or whatever on your scalp (I don't recommend sugar peeling, doesn't sound too well if there's any chance you have fungal problem).

I don't suggest anyone what to do, in the end it's anyone's decision. But if you're taking cortisone, you're literally addicted to it. It's a drug. It's not cool, it's not healing, and it doesn't serve anyone well. If in the future you'd decide that you want to stop you'll have to go through whole withdrawal and you'll probably have the same skin condition you suppressed all over your whole body. I don't think children should take such drugs. I wish anyone with skin problems well - I know they're serious. Just wanted to rant about cortisone, I'm tired of 'education' from advertising going around. It's important to not base your knowledge on flyers.

PixieP
March 30th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Over here it is called "Dermovate" and I have it in cream form (for my pain patches, they leave behind red marks (strong glue, strong meds)). It is a pretty strong corticosteroid, to my understanding. I don't always use it - only when the marks get particularly bad looking - because it is a strong cream.

Exactly this. ^^

I also read that the child has thin hair; thin hair and a bad scalp are hard to manage, especially if the issue is a bad one and she has a bad case of it. Another reason why she may still need her mom's help. And if mom has to help and has other children or other things going on (work, household to run), then no wonder she wants to keep the hair contained and short. Perfectly understandable in my book.

I use Dermovate cream too, for other parts of my body. It is strong, but it's by far the most efficient thing. The only thing you should be careful with is prolonged sun expore if you use strong cortisone treatments over a very long period of time, because the skin can get thin. This is usually not a problem for psoriasis patients because the skin thickens up where it's damaged. But it should be kept off healthy skin as much as possible. I have used Dermovat cream on my feat every single day, thick layers, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, for a two year period. Now I only use it got a weeks time when I get a flareup. But I didn't notice any ill effects from using it regularly for so long.

Also, I think an 11 year old who wants long hair is old enough to do parts of the upkeep herself. I got my ears pierced at 11, on the condition that I would take all the responsibility for caring for them. Perfectly reasonable for her mom to lay down some ground rules about what responsibility the girl must do herself.

Thank you for saying this. Shampoos and other topical treatments (including scalp oiling and de-scaling) can help ameliorate some of the symptoms, which can be very serious. And unfortunately she can stay sick forever. That's how it works.

I feel like there is a tendency on this board to jump to the conclusion that scalp issues are SD, and treat them as such. While that may be the case for many individuals, psoriasis is a different condition entirely and treating it as a fungal infection will never make it any better. If it is severe, it most likely needs to be treated with systemic medications (including biologics) and those drugs are serious indeed. There is a lot more to it than some flaky skin. Scalp oil and "natural ingredients" aren't doing to do a damn thing for any of the other symptoms, including arthritis, depression and anxiety, fatigue, and weakened immune system. Vitamin D deficiency is common in people who have psoriasis (maybe because they have less sunlight exposure due to the social stigma of the disease? I don't know if a causal relationship has actually been studied, but I'm going out on a limb here) and that can be treated naturally, but it is no cure.

That said, I don't see why otherwise healthy hair would need to be cut short, especially if she feels strongly about it. I don't think it would be any harder to apply treatments to the scalp with very long hair vs shoulder length. If she has flakes they may be harder to brush out of longer hair, but that's the only real issue I can think of.

I was more or less completly disabled for two years because of my severe psoriasis, so no it's not something you can just treat with cutting out soaps. First of all the skin NEEDS cortisone, it needs a lot of fat and moisture, and some oils can actually make psoriasis worse, and it all depends from person to person (coconut oil makes me worse, olive oil is okay, almond oil is the best). And although the symptoms show up on the skin, it is a disease that can affect the whole body like you say.

I'm on low dose chemo and biologics, I take cortisone steroid orally when I need to, and I live my life reliant on pain killers, itch relievers, and moisturizers. Psoriasis is the same illness as arthritis, it just shows on a different part of the body. I get severly pissed off, pardon my french, when I see people who just shrug it off like it's nothing.

lapushka
March 30th, 2016, 01:52 PM
I use Dermovate cream too, for other parts of my body. It is strong, but it's by far the most efficient thing. The only thing you should be careful with is prolonged sun expore if you use strong cortisone treatments over a very long period of time, because the skin can get thin. This is usually not a problem for psoriasis patients because the skin thickens up where it's damaged. But it should be kept off healthy skin as much as possible. I have used Dermovat cream on my feat every single day, thick layers, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, for a two year period. Now I only use it got a weeks time when I get a flareup. But I didn't notice any ill effects from using it regularly for so long.

My patches are in 3 spots, that get changed out every 3 days. So there's time to treat the other locations while one spot has a patch on. It is hidden well by pants & clothes (hip and belly region). So no danger of sun exposure. The cream is applied about weekly, or every 3 days. It depends.

PixieP
March 30th, 2016, 02:01 PM
My patches are in 3 spots, that get changed out every 3 days. So there's time to treat the other locations while one spot has a patch on. It is hidden well by pants & clothes (hip and belly region). So no danger of sun exposure. The cream is applied about weekly, or every 3 days. It depends.

Well as long as it's that rare then sun exposure isn't a problem. Just don't go out in the sun with exposed skin within 6 hours of puttong on Dermovat is the rule of thumb I've gotten from my dermologist.
The skin around the affected areas on my feet burnt too easily when I applied it daily so no sandals or ballerina shoes for me those summers. I couldn't wear those shoes anyway; I needed 2 layers of socks at all time, the outer pair being thick and fluffy, to cushion my feet. I have a special type of psoriasis (palmoplantar pustulosis, do NOT google it, it looks terrible) so I get pus-filled blisters that bursts into open sores, on my feet and hands. The worst year I could barely walk without help and wore gloves at all times. My husband did everything for me; cut my meat, washed me, helped me dress and undress. The only shoes I could wear was UGGs-type shoes because they were soft and they were big enough for my swollen, suffering feet. God I'm so blessed to have gotten so much better. My hands are completly fine again and my feet are wayyy better.

GlassWidow
March 30th, 2016, 02:08 PM
I know skin conditions are serious, I have eczema. Autoimmune diseases can be healed. "Autoimmune" is just a word that's used by medical professionals to sound more serious and knowledgeable to clients, no offense. Read some research about cortisone, not just advertising. There's interesting research going around in Japan.

Eczema and psoriasis can look the same, but they are different conditions. Eczema can be a long term condition, but it is a body's response to environmental irritants or allergies, and symptoms are worsened by stress and hormonal fluctuations. Psoriasis, however, has a genetic link and is the response to factors inside of the body. While the two skin conditions look similar and are often treated in a similar fashion, they are not the same. I can assure you that autoimmune diseases can be managed effectively, but not healed (cured).

Cortisone is just one form of treatment, and it's not ideal, but it's effective in the short term, if used carefully, for managing flares. I use it, but only as a last resort.

SunshineLiz - My mom always wanted me to have shorter hair at that age, too. I think a lot of that came from the fact that she has stick straight hair, and mine is wavy and unruly. She used just shampoo, with no conditioner, and so that's what the kids used, too. So, of course my hair was in horrible condition and looked terrible - who's wouldn't be after being treated that way? It just served to fuel her "shorter is better" argument, though.

I've found that I can manage my scalp psoriasis by avoiding SLS and silicone, and using moisture rich shampoos. I'm sure part of the concern for this mom is the scalp flakes, but I find if I do a good scrub in the shower, and avoid touching my scalp when dry, it keeps the scales more or less in check. I have had great luck, lately, with Shea Moisture Superfruit Complex 10 in 1 shampoo and the companion hair mask. Maybe your friend and her daughter would be agreeable to trying a new routine and seeing what happens over the summer? It really is trial and error to find what works for a person, and some of us have less patience than others. I wish them good luck!

MsPharaohMoan
March 30th, 2016, 02:14 PM
I also don't understand why would anyone let their child get so distressed over something this unimportant (in the grand scheme of things).

I'll be honest, I don't know much about psoriasis (I don't even know if I spelt that right) but someone here mentioned that it can have psychological effects as well. It's not like the child has an anxiety knob in her back that the mother decided to crank, the mother doesn't control the child's emotions. I remember lots of silly things seeming quite important at the time as a young teenager, but it has to be hard to have a diagnosis that affects your mind and appearance especially at a time when a kid starts to really focus on how they look.

OP, I'm sorry you're witnessing the discord between these two people in your life. As some have mentioned, maybe it's a power struggle between the two. I think you've got some decent advice so far in regards to compromises. If momma is the one taking care of the child's condition, it makes sense for her to want it as manageable as possible for her. Maybe an 11 y/o girl isn't going to be capable of taking care of the condition with her own two hands, but is mum willing to teach her daughter the things she does to take care of the condition? Baby steps towards eventually giving the daughter the responsibility of her own care (under supervision of course). If it's explained that if she wants long hair she needs to be able to take care of it herself, maybe she'll be motivated to listen?

But if mum isn't willing to budge (maybe she doesn't think the child is responsible enough, and if it's a source of stress between the two of them she might not be willing to listen to your advice regardless of your good intentions) there could be other things they could do. Focusing on the girl's appearance in different ways: I remember learning to shave and how to apply makeup around that time. Maybe regular trips to the salon for nails or facials are in the budget? Another thought that crossed my mind is a wig of sorts, but I'm not sure if that would exacerbate the condition because of limited airflow... I don't recall if you told us how long the girl's hair is right now but you could try teaching her a few new styles (like braids or buns) or get a sparkly hair accessory from claire's for her.

Wishing you good luck starting a conversation about this with mum, let us know how it works out!

lillielil
March 30th, 2016, 02:37 PM
I'll be honest, I don't know much about psoriasis (I don't even know if I spelt that right) but someone here mentioned that it can have psychological effects as well. It's not like the child has an anxiety knob in her back that the mother decided to crank, the mother doesn't control the child's emotions. I remember lots of silly things seeming quite important at the time as a young teenager, but it has to be hard to have a diagnosis that affects your mind and appearance especially at a time when a kid starts to really focus on how they look.
[snip]
Another thought that crossed my mind is a wig of sorts, but I'm not sure if that would exacerbate the condition because of limited airflow... I don't recall if you told us how long the girl's hair is right now but you could try teaching her a few new styles (like braids or buns) or get a sparkly hair accessory from claire's for her.

Good point! Allow me to share my anecdotal story: my wife has psoriasis, and very clearly remembers things that her mother said to her about it when she was 11 - even seemingly little things had a devastating effect on her self-image. For example, her mom wanted her to wear a cover-up at the beach because of the psoriasis on her legs. The message she heard (again, as an 11 year old) was that her body was disgusting and not normal and needed to be covered up. That message stuck.

Similarly I would not jump straight to wig. Wig = your own hair/body is not good enough. That's not something an 11 year old wants to hear. Teaching new styles and accessorizing, though, are great ideas!

Obsidian
March 30th, 2016, 04:17 PM
At 11 years old, I don't understand why the mom would have to help with hair care. It doesn't sound like the girls hair is that long at this point, more like mom doesn't like how it looks since its damaged and thin. Unless there is a medical reason for the girl to have it short, then mom should let her grow it even if it is thin/damaged. I've seen people on here with thin hair or damaged hair and no one tells them to cut if short.

If it is a medical reason then its something the doctor should discuss with the girl directly, it might help her except reality better.

henné
March 30th, 2016, 04:42 PM
I had guttate psoriasis that was somehow triggered by a streptococcal infection I had some years ago. However, all my spots are gone now and have been gone for years - I really only had it for about 6 months before it disappeared. I was also given Betnovat and some other toxic crap, but I never used it - I think it's still kicking around in the bathroom somewhere. Instead, I went to light therapy three times a week until my condition got better.

Now I'm reading in this thread that psoriasis is a lifelong condition ... is it really in all cases? Mine seems to have totally disappeared ... (knocks on wood, haha).

PixieP
March 30th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Henné, there is always a risk of a flare-up. Some have one bad period in their life, some have it constant, for some it comes and goes. There is never a way of knowing. But the general rule of thumb is, the longer you go without a flare, the less chance there is for one coming back. But you never know. My grandaunt has psoriasis as a child, but it seemed she grew out of it. Until it came back with a vengeance in her fifites.

But different people are hit in different ways, some only ever get a couple dry patches on their elbows and never notice anything more, others like me end up temporarily or permanently disabled.

lithostoic
March 30th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Maybe mom is worried the girl won't care for her hair correctly. When I was 11 I didn't even know what color my hair was let alone how to take care of long hair. Sure I shampood and conditioned but fine (especially thin) hair requires much more attention to stay healthy.

Teazel
March 30th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Asking this question for a friend. Her daughter is 11 and desperately wants long hair. Her hair is thin and fine in the first place and she uses a scalp medicine that her mother says damages her hair. The mom just wants to keep her hair above shoulders but her daughter cries and refuses to let her hair be trimmed more than an inch at a time. It's a struggle between them and I was wondering if there was a way to let them both have what they want-- healthy hair, but also longer.

Any advice?

My eldest sister had psoriasis on her scalp when we were kids, and as far as I know it still flares up at times. I'd say neither the condition nor medication have affected her hair's quality, since it's always been thick (thicker than mine, the cow) and longish. The only lasting damage the psoriasis has left is a habit of absent-mindedly picking at her scalp, followed by quickly brushing off her shoulders. :silly:

lapushka
March 31st, 2016, 03:46 PM
Well as long as it's that rare then sun exposure isn't a problem. Just don't go out in the sun with exposed skin within 6 hours of puttong on Dermovat is the rule of thumb I've gotten from my dermologist.
The skin around the affected areas on my feet burnt too easily when I applied it daily so no sandals or ballerina shoes for me those summers. I couldn't wear those shoes anyway; I needed 2 layers of socks at all time, the outer pair being thick and fluffy, to cushion my feet. I have a special type of psoriasis (palmoplantar pustulosis, do NOT google it, it looks terrible) so I get pus-filled blisters that bursts into open sores, on my feet and hands. The worst year I could barely walk without help and wore gloves at all times. My husband did everything for me; cut my meat, washed me, helped me dress and undress. The only shoes I could wear was UGGs-type shoes because they were soft and they were big enough for my swollen, suffering feet. God I'm so blessed to have gotten so much better. My hands are completly fine again and my feet are wayyy better.

I'm really glad to hear that. :flower:

Sunshineliz
April 2nd, 2016, 10:43 AM
I don't know what the medicine is, nor if it truly damages her hair or if her mom just believes it does. Her main complaint was her "stringy" hair.

I personally think she should teach her how to care for her own hair and let her decide if she wants it long. I didn't have a condition like this, but my mother hated that I was adamant about growing out my hair long at about that age. I was growing out damage from a perm, but I managed to grow it long and make it look nice, eventually. It did have some not-so-nice looking time periods but I got through them.
Perhaps that isn't the same, but it still makes me think it is doable to let her daughter care for it herself and grow nice long hair.