PDA

View Full Version : Regret

belix
March 27th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Hello everyone I hope you are having a good day. Have been inactive due to forgetting the password for both this site and my email, but I gotten that straighten out due to google chrome auto password save when you log into chrome. Hallelujah!

My question is:
How do you get over the regret of chopping off all your hair? Like completely shaving it off? I spoke to one person about it, how I feel like I look like a lil boy [ people have been calling me sir or addressing me as him/he] and she was telling me about using accessories and stuff like that. This is where I am stuck because I don't know much about accessories nor really dress in a way that it wont look so... odd. Odd as in... a woman who wears all laid back causal black clothing everyday: hoodie, semi baggy jeans, tshirt and boots. I don't know much about fashion and putting things together, and I wish i knew or had friends who do. I currently live in a black head scarf and sometime wear lipstick when I head out to class...

The reason i chopped it off was due to PCOS and for a job that lied to me about a position that I ruined my hair with color for, only to be told "We meant to tell you that you were temporary, not permanent our fault."

I feel like I'm kind of complaining, but yea, and ideas what to do?

Wusel
March 27th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Idea 1: Hairflowers. When my hair was short and I was wearing a hoodie with pants, I've put a flower in my hair to look like a girl.
Idea 2: Red lipstick.
Idea 3: Heels. Look awesome with a hoodie.
Idea 4: False eyelashes. Look great with short hair. I had eyelash extensions when it was short.
Idea 5: Long earrings. Look awesome with short hair.
Enjoy your short hair as long as it's short. Short hair has many positive sides. :) I loved it for a long time and kept cutting it short for 3 years. Don't regret it. Short hair doesn't stay short for long. It grows if you let it grow.

Mirabele
March 27th, 2016, 10:54 AM
That must be devastating.
I second suggestion about statement lipstick and / or earrings.

pailin
March 27th, 2016, 10:56 AM
I'm sorry to hear this. It's an awkward place to be for now, and it sounds like that job was disappointing at best.
Your hair will grow, and hopefully you can find some encouragement here while you wait.
Maybe some brightly colored scarves would be helpful - something that men don't wear. Maybe dangly earrings too.
I used to wear t-shirts all the time, the boxy mens cut ones. Now I avoid them except for exercise or sleep, because they're just not flattering for me. So if you want to feel more feminine a simple change might be to find some fitted t-shirts that are cut for women. Even if you only wear black.

Wusel
March 27th, 2016, 10:57 AM
I forgot another positive aspect of short hair: you can go AGGRESSIVE with makeup, accessories and crazy girly stuff, it never looks too much.

Arctic
March 27th, 2016, 10:58 AM
If you don't feel comfortable in androgynous look, then I think you found a good place to ask for help and tips. While we have members with all kinds of aesthetic preferences, we have lot of members who are masters in feminine touches. Alas, I'm not one of them :o

Do you have pierced ears? Dangly earring could be nice. Or headband/scarf as a head band. Mascara and lipstick are good (though I never wear lipsticks, I like to use tinted lip balms more).

I also like black clothes , and while I'm not very feminine dresser, I'm not really masculine either. I almost never wear baggy clothes (some winter jackets are more on the baggy side but that is for practical reasons due to our cold winters), that makes a big difference, I think. I also like to use big rings. My eye glasses are clearly from selection aimed for females.

I have had short hair most of my life, though not shaved. But many pixies and bobs. Once someone commented about my sexuality they assumed I represented, based on my short hair. That was -- interesting (though I did not get offended, more like amused plus I was amazed the kind of things people assume based on one characteristic). Stereotypes are rooted deep.

lilin
March 27th, 2016, 11:00 AM
I'm sorry. :( Unfortunately there's no cure for regaining length but time, unless you want to get into extensions/weaves/wigs and all that, but I get what you mean about wanting to change up your style with haircut that our culture thinks of as "boyish."

When I was shaved, and up until my hair is about 3 inches long, I noticed that I was way more on top of my eyebrows than normal. I tend to pluck the strays around the edges, but I'm often lazy about it. With my hair so short, I just felt like having well-defined eyebrows was somehow more important to my look, for some reason. I also found I wore eyeliner more often than usual (maybe once a week when my hair was longer, 3 to 5 times a week when it's very short). Eyeliner is my one make-up thing I ever do, as lipstick seems to be yours.

As far as clothes, don't think of it as something you have to learn and study. Fashion is like that, and changes every season. But you don't have to know anything about fashion to have a style. Style is all about you.

There's lots of things you can try to change it up that don't necessarily mean you have to spend tons of time thinking about it. Leggings look awesome with boots (I'm a boot chick too) and they're really comfortable. Even just a different kind of sweater than a hoodie would change everything about your look. Slouchy off-the-shoulder sweater? Turtleneck? Sweaterdress? All kinds of options out there.

I'm a very lazy dresser, and also a big fan of black (impossible to clash when 80% of your clothes are black, thus less thinking). I found that once I had figured out what kind of cuts I like on my body, shopping became really easy, and thus dressing became really easy. I can tell just by looking if something will look good on me. Since I tend towards looser tops and leggings/tights/jeggings, I don't even have to try most things on. And since I tend to stick to the same basic silhouette most of the time and tend to have mostly black with the same 2 or 3 accent colors, everything pretty much matches.

I'd say don't worry too much about accessories. I have a waist belt, for long/loose tops that just don't quite sit right without it. I have a hat and a headscarf. That's kinda it. I only have a handful of jewellery pieces that I wear infrequently, mostly stuff that means something to me.

I don't do heels or any of that. I'm not willing to suffer for style, period. I have big tough knee-high boots that lace up and look killer for winter, and feminized black Oxfords for summer. I think they look awesome, but they real deal-maker is that they're really comfortable and made to last. These are investment shoes that I'll resole until they fall apart. That's what matters to me.

I get told I look nice with some regularity, so I guess it works! I think the key to nice-looking, lazy style is this: decide what you like, AND looks good on you, AND is comfortable, and don't ever buy anything except that.

If you are comfortable, aesthetically and physically, you'll feel good, and other people will pick up on that. If you buy stuff you like in theory but aren't sure if you like on YOU, or that you like but is uncomfortable, or that you only got because you think it's how you "should" dress, you either won't wear it (wasted money) or won't feel confident in it (drags you down).

Hope this helps a bit, from one laid back girl who has no clue what's "in" this season, to another.

MeAndTheMaz
March 27th, 2016, 11:16 AM
And speaking of "aesthetic preferences", I'm not one for all the girly accouterments (I'm a man). Why don't you just be yourself? Judging by your description of your manner of dress, you don't seem too interested in looking particularly feminine.

Is it really so bad that someone mistakes you for a man at first sight? I'm sure it's not a slight on your femininity. They will feel embarrassed for a bit, and get the gender right. Your hair will grow back in time, and you will be just as beautiful as you always were.

And I agree, it's crappy that job steered you wrong.

Happy growing back out!

lapushka
March 27th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Cute, decorated, headbands are a nice accessory to have, and cute colored clips as well.

And for the rest, yes, true, what the poster above me said, you be you, no matter what they call you (don't you mind).

lilin
March 27th, 2016, 11:31 AM
And speaking of "aesthetic preferences", I'm not one for all the girly accouterments (I'm a man). Why don't you just be yourself? Judging by your description of your manner of dress, you don't seem too interested in looking particularly feminine.

Is it really so bad that someone mistakes you for a man at first sight? I'm sure it's not a slight on your femininity. They will feel embarrassed for a bit, and get the gender right. Your hair will grow back in time, and you will be just as beautiful as you always were.

And I agree, it's crappy that job steered you wrong.

Happy growing back out!

I think sometimes this can be complicated for women.

I can't speak for the OP at all, but there are lots of reasons we might dress a certain way that aren't at all us "being ourselves." I know I did that all through my teens and early 20's, trying to escape being heavily gender stereotyped. I know lots of other women who do or did dress in a way that isn't necessarily "who they are" for reasons related to cultural stigma management as well.

When I got older, moved to a less sexist city, and stopped being so bothered by that, "me" finally had space to come out. Still don't give a crap about fashion, but I have a defined style -- just my automatic aesthetic preference, which I had never really let myself express before. I identify as demi-feminine, and I naturally, subconsciously want to put across my identity.

What I hear in the OP is that part of what's upsetting about having lost her hair is that people are mis-identifying her gender identity because she IS interested in coming across as feminine (although perhaps not in the hyper-stereotyped, very high-maintenance sort of way many people picture). How we express ourselves to the world is, to some extent, important. That's why it bothers a lot of genderqueer and trans people when they're mis-identified -- no different from cisgender people. It's important for us to be seen how we want to be seen. We're social creatures.

Wildcat Diva
March 27th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Now that my sons are growing their hair out, they have a couple of times been called "ladies" when they are with me. As in how are "you ladies" doing today. Once my oldest was wearing a hoodie with a wool cap and jeans and tennis shoes. The other son was grocery shopping with me and had his hair in a ponytail and with a metal Music t shirt and jeans. my oldest was like "WTH" and my youngest was like "I just go with it." I think it happens sometimes to many of us, don't worry.

Once when my middle son had changed clothes to borrow his friend's shirt, had his hair loose, but then went over to our neighbor's house to help him, I looked over from a distance and thought "who is that oddly dressed lady helping Mr. Al?" Didn't even notice it was my own kid!?!

Horrorpops
March 28th, 2016, 12:03 AM
Hey lovely I had a similar problem when I shaved my head. I always wore a cute head band, floral or with a bow or something. I also used cute glasses, earrings etc to accessorize without hair. It seems like you've had a great amount of suggestions so far but I hope this helps :o
I think it can take a bit of mental work changing your perspective but I ended up feeling super feminine even with my bald head. You are still a woman who can be beautiful and pretty and cute without hair :)

Wusel
March 28th, 2016, 02:41 AM
I forgot headbands as many here mentioned. I have several 50s headbands with cherries and polkadots and leopard prints and hawaiian flowers... Looks very cute on short hair or even bald head. Try it!

Arctic
March 28th, 2016, 03:00 AM
How are you doing today, Belix?

I'll put some links here to few style blogs, in case you are interested in learning more about how to put together outfits and find what is flattering to you. I don't recommend copying from these bloggers, but learning to see the tricks they use, what it is in their outfit that makes it look nice, what kind of things they put together, how they use accessories.

This blogger started from not knowing much at all, and she has been documenting her style development, and has been sharing lot of down to earth advice, the kind that only those, who have been in the "I know nothing" camp, know can be difficult aspects to grasp. It's worth to look at the popular posts she has added links to at the upper bar, right under the title. In fact I recommend you start from those links, they could help you right away. http://www.puttingmetogether.com/

This blogger is a professional image consult, and I think her blog has been the one that has helped me to understand my body and how to flatter it the best. She has massive amount of information, but I would start exploring her site from the popular posts where she goes to very basics. Body types, body proportions, heros and supporting actresses, the thirsd piece rule... https://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/ (I suggest starting from the "What to wear" section.)

Note that I don't share style preferences with either of these bloggers, and you don't need to either. Take what suits you and resonates with you, and leave the rest.

As for developing your own personal style, I think Pinterest is great tool for that. When I started at Pinterest I went into a crazy pinning spree and then I started to go through those images, organizing them into several style related boards, culling out things that weren't really "me" on another glance... over time (with lot of ongoing pinning and deleting) my style boards have developed to be an amazing tool, allowing me to see at one glance what is my style essence. It has been a fun but also surprising journey. Word of warning: Pinterest is very easy to get addicted to, I sure was during the first 6 months!

YvetteVarie
March 28th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Hi Belix. I'm sorry that this has happened to you. I am not a big makeup/accesories person myelf, but I do suggest earrings and some light make up. I normally just fill in my eyebrows, add some eyeliner and I'm set. Depending on how short your hair is, you might try extension braids. When I big chopped my hair to 1'' (from colour damage too), I put in a weave the next day because I just wasn't used to myself with short hair.

Hope you find a solution that works for you and still keep your sense of style

PixieP
March 28th, 2016, 07:07 AM
http://headbands.com/images/headbands/leopard-print-headband.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/64/97/f7/6497f7de12b90adf88487e512cff9b49.jpg

http://www.short-hair-style.com/image-files/short_hair_with_accessories.jpg

http://www.short-haircut.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Bobby-pins-short-hair.jpg

https://img0.etsystatic.com/104/1/6307308/il_570xN.858058406_lgbe.jpg
https://www.etsy.com/listing/163855955/wide-headbands-for-short-hair-wide <- she has several specifically for short hair

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/04/8f/81/048f81fdf674447a179b5bccfa724ca4.jpg

http://img.allw.mn/content/www/2011/04/8-cute-hair-accessories-for-short-hair/1_girl-meets-bow-hair-clip_8-cute-hair-accessories-for-short-hair.jpg

http://www.shorthairlooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Hair-Accessories-for-Short-Hair.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a6/96/0b/a6960b33fd93bb3660ad425fafd44b9e.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ed/a8/16/eda816de6a4c65772b141e7eab789924.jpg

Most of these I found by google picture search "short hair accesoires"

Magalo
March 28th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Hair will grow! As for clothing, I have a suggestion for you. I also like loose, comfortable clothes and wears boots almost all year long. If I wear a hoodie/loose shirt, I wear tight fitting jeans and if I have baggy or harem pants, I pair it with a form fitting tank top or feminine low cut tshirt. :)

Vrindi
March 28th, 2016, 10:32 AM
I agree with the headbands and hair clips or bobby pins. If your style is more laid back and casual, but you wear lipstick, then just a bold lipstick. Bobby pins are really easy, but if your hair is too short, then just a couple of headbands. Even if they're all black! Even a simple black bow or some black rhinestones will take you into more girly territory. Have fun with it! And enjoy it as much as you can as it grows out to a length you're happy with. That's the great thing about a regretful hair cut - it's temporary because it grows back!

Wusel
March 28th, 2016, 11:01 AM
it's temporary because it grows back!

Yes... IT'S TEMPORARY! IT'S NOT FOREVER! IT'LL GROW BACK! SO, DON'T WORRY!

SwanFeathers
March 28th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Now that my sons are growing their hair out, they have a couple of times been called "ladies" when they are with me. As in how are "you ladies" doing today. Once my oldest was wearing a hoodie with a wool cap and jeans and tennis shoes. The other son was grocery shopping with me and had his hair in a ponytail and with a metal Music t shirt and jeans. my oldest was like "WTH" and my youngest was like "I just go with it." I think it happens sometimes to many of us, don't worry.

Once when my middle son had changed clothes to borrow his friend's shirt, had his hair loose, but then went over to our neighbor's house to help him, I looked over from a distance and thought "who is that oddly dressed lady helping Mr. Al?" Didn't even notice it was my own kid!?!

this is hilarious! and my lil' bro had the same problem until i started wearing dresses, because we looked so alike growing up

Wusel
March 28th, 2016, 11:25 AM
AND, the good thing is: You can enjoy all the milestones, all the lengths from short to long. That's great! Enjoy it! Short hair is sexy! And there are many men who feel very attracted by short hair because it makes your neck and nape look beautiful.

Gaelic Girl
March 28th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Belix I'm so sorry that you are going through some hard times. I don't have much to add as the previous posts are both thorough and helpful. Big earrings go a long way for sure, as do head bands and scarves. Just know that you are supported here and that in time it will grow back.

Good luck and sending light.
Cheers, GG

MINAKO
March 28th, 2016, 11:56 AM
I don't have anything to contribute that hasn't already been said, sure more feminine clothing accessories and makeup will help alot. I just wanted to add that you should be feeling good about yourself either way. I personally figured i even like dressing a certain way that doesn't call for that much attention regarding my level of female attractiveness. I wear baggy pants hoodies and often a mouth mask, so it does happen that people mistake me for a boy since i'm bery tall too. I couldn't care less tbh, even if i run into my crush or smt, it's all about behaviour and way of communication for me to be confident.

AJNinami
March 28th, 2016, 12:12 PM
I would Google pictures of Lupita Nyong'o. She is a beautiful lady and you can take inspiration from her. I actually prefer her with the short hair.

Edit: A suggestion would be to keep eyebrows thinner and well groomed. I don't, but my face is extremely young and feminine looking and I hate brow upkeep, so I go for a more Cara Delevingne full brow. (At least I claim to, I'm really just lazy :laugh:)

lillielil
March 28th, 2016, 12:14 PM
I don't know if I have anything to add here other than my own rambling thoughts.

There have been a lot of good suggestions here regarding looking feminine. Many of them touched on revealing, accentuating, decorating, etc. If you do decide to change your style, make sure that you do so because YOU want to, not because of the expectations of anyone else.

If you aren't interested in changing your style, that's ok! I absolutely don't think a shorter haircut necessitates any other personal aesthetic changes at all.

JustPam
March 28th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Everyone before me has given really good suggestions, I particularly second statement makeup or jewellery, and pairing loose top with fitted bottoms or vice versa. I just wanted to add that I think women with shaved heads look so badass and I'm sure you are no exception! Although you may be feeling down about parting with your hair and the reasons for it, try to think of it more as a fresh start, and enjoy it for what it is while it's short. :)

browneyedsusan
March 28th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, just chiming in to say, "I get it."

During the times I had micro-pixies, gay/bi women would hit on me, and I was mistaken for a man more than once. I also wear jeans and hoodies, with converse sneakers. :)

I felt more "girly" without trying too hard if I wore big, hoop earrings, did my eyebrows--no one really notices if your eyebrows are "done", but I think subconsciously, it cues -> "female" -- and a couple of stacked bracelets. I think a leather cuff or a belt with a tooled flowers or something like that would help. Lip gloss gets it done, too. Try to pick up on things that women do and boys don't.

It'll grow. You'll be your old self soon. :)

Deborah
March 28th, 2016, 04:35 PM
PixieP listed a gorgeous headband designed for short hair, the fifth photo, (fourth head shot) on a redhead. Wow! If I had short hair I would buy that and wear it annoyingly often! That or something very similar would most likely help you feel pretty again.

Good luck on coping with shorter than you want hair. :flower:

luxurioushair
March 28th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Don't you like wearing dresses and skirts? Nobody will mistaken you for a boy then.

PixieP
March 28th, 2016, 05:08 PM
PixieP listed a gorgeous headband designed for short hair, the fifth photo, (fourth head shot) on a redhead. Wow! If I had short hair I would buy that and wear it annoyingly often! That or something very similar would most likely help you feel pretty again.

Good luck on coping with shorter than you want hair. :flower:

The etsy seller (link undereath the picture) has hairbands for long hair too ;D

Deborah
March 28th, 2016, 10:06 PM
The etsy seller (link undereath the picture) has hairbands for long hair too ;D

Thanks! Those are beautiful.

belix
April 1st, 2016, 02:41 PM
i am grateful for all your responses! I haven't abandoned this post, i will try to respond to each and everyone comment made XD

belix
April 1st, 2016, 02:48 PM
Does platform sneakers count as heels? haha
I've purchased some cool looking earrings i saw on a clearance rack but havent gotten around to wearing them but this is one step in the right direction!
I owned a flower crown that I wore when I had longer hair but I'm not really liking how it looks on me. Ive been looking at tutorials on how to make them so lets see how that goes!
Sometimes i wear lipstick well matte lipstick so i guess i should wear it more often?
false lashes arent for me, but i should get mascara for a similar effect.
Thank you :D

belix
April 1st, 2016, 02:57 PM
How are you doing today, Belix?

I'll put some links here to few style blogs, in case you are interested in learning more about how to put together outfits and find what is flattering to you. I don't recommend copying from these bloggers, but learning to see the tricks they use, what it is in their outfit that makes it look nice, what kind of things they put together, how they use accessories.

This blogger started from not knowing much at all, and she has been documenting her style development, and has been sharing lot of down to earth advice, the kind that only those, who have been in the "I know nothing" camp, know can be difficult aspects to grasp. It's worth to look at the popular posts she has added links to at the upper bar, right under the title. In fact I recommend you start from those links, they could help you right away. http://www.puttingmetogether.com/

This blogger is a professional image consult, and I think her blog has been the one that has helped me to understand my body and how to flatter it the best. She has massive amount of information, but I would start exploring her site from the popular posts where she goes to very basics. Body types, body proportions, heros and supporting actresses, the thirsd piece rule... https://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/ (I suggest starting from the "What to wear" section.)

Note that I don't share style preferences with either of these bloggers, and you don't need to either. Take what suits you and resonates with you, and leave the rest.

As for developing your own personal style, I think Pinterest is great tool for that. When I started at Pinterest I went into a crazy pinning spree and then I started to go through those images, organizing them into several style related boards, culling out things that weren't really "me" on another glance... over time (with lot of ongoing pinning and deleting) my style boards have developed to be an amazing tool, allowing me to see at one glance what is my style essence. It has been a fun but also surprising journey. Word of warning: Pinterest is very easy to get addicted to, I sure was during the first 6 months!

Thank you so much :D I've started using pinterest solely for the use of how to put things together. I wish they also mentioned where to get some of these items that I have pinned. Most of the stuff i have now are thing people were like "eehh i dont want it anymore, not like i really wore it so you can have it" sort of items, i guess i should go thru them and think whether i want them or not and clear out stuff. I've even gone as far as looking into how to make my own stuff since even though i live in NYC i dont really see stuff that i like, and if i do its above my price range or not in my size. Thank you so much!! im looking thru the links and hopefully get some ideas flowing :)

belix
April 1st, 2016, 03:00 PM
Hey lovely I had a similar problem when I shaved my head. I always wore a cute head band, floral or with a bow or something. I also used cute glasses, earrings etc to accessorize without hair. It seems like you've had a great amount of suggestions so far but I hope this helps :o
I think it can take a bit of mental work changing your perspective but I ended up feeling super feminine even with my bald head. You are still a woman who can be beautiful and pretty and cute without hair :)

Thank you for your suggestion :D. I am thinking that maybe i should have gotten my glasses in a different frame color or style haha :D

PixieP
April 1st, 2016, 03:00 PM
If you don't feel like wearing mascara every day, then dyeing your lashes can give the same effect; it makes the lashes darker and more noticeable :) If you have short lashes there is also a possibility to get lash extensions, but that's expensive!

belix
April 1st, 2016, 03:02 PM

haha XD. your kids are awesome!

belix
April 1st, 2016, 03:07 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. It's an awkward place to be for now, and it sounds like that job was disappointing at best.
Your hair will grow, and hopefully you can find some encouragement here while you wait.
Maybe some brightly colored scarves would be helpful - something that men don't wear. Maybe dangly earrings too.
I used to wear t-shirts all the time, the boxy mens cut ones. Now I avoid them except for exercise or sleep, because they're just not flattering for me. So if you want to feel more feminine a simple change might be to find some fitted t-shirts that are cut for women. Even if you only wear black.

most of my tshirts are guy tshirts :couch: i really like graphic tshirts especial ones from marvel or dc or cool logos. :S
I guess I could just pair them up with leggings and earrings instead of just regular cut jeans or maybe skinny jeans that are my actual size and not a size larger? :couch:
I am currently a medium in women's shirts but I noticed i buy xl out of habit because I use to be xl.

belix
April 1st, 2016, 03:09 PM
Idea 1: Hairflowers. When my hair was short and I was wearing a hoodie with pants, I've put a flower in my hair to look like a girl.
Idea 2: Red lipstick.
Idea 3: Heels. Look awesome with a hoodie.
Idea 4: False eyelashes. Look great with short hair. I had eyelash extensions when it was short.
Idea 5: Long earrings. Look awesome with short hair.
Enjoy your short hair as long as it's short. Short hair has many positive sides. :) I loved it for a long time and kept cutting it short for 3 years. Don't regret it. Short hair doesn't stay short for long. It grows if you let it grow.

I accidentally answered ur other post without selecting reply with quote

I forgot another positive aspect of short hair: you can go AGGRESSIVE with makeup, accessories and crazy girly stuff, it never looks too much.

oh boy makeup... im still trying to learn this stuff,I can honestly say i got the hang of eye shadow and lippies. But foundation and contouring... thats like level 900 for me. Currently trying to figure out how to find out which foundation shade works for me.

Arctic
April 1st, 2016, 03:26 PM
Sounds like you are on a mission! I hope you will feel better already, and that with every passing day that trend will continue!

Argh, foundation colours... they are all over the place but never quite match :steam Maybe something like tinted moisturizer or BB-cream would be easier to match?

I usually wear in my everyday life mineral makeup powder foundation used as a concealer, loose powder, blush on cheeks and eye crease, little bit brow pen, little bit black kajal on upper-outer lashline, and black mascara on upper lashes. Then tinted lipbalm. (I'm no stranger of going with bare face either, though!)

belix
April 1st, 2016, 04:14 PM
If you don't feel comfortable in androgynous look, then I think you found a good place to ask for help and tips. While we have members with all kinds of aesthetic preferences, we have lot of members who are masters in feminine touches. Alas, I'm not one of them :o

Do you have pierced ears? Dangly earring could be nice. Or headband/scarf as a head band. Mascara and lipstick are good (though I never wear lipsticks, I like to use tinted lip balms more).

I also like black clothes , and while I'm not very feminine dresser, I'm not really masculine either. I almost never wear baggy clothes (some winter jackets are more on the baggy side but that is for practical reasons due to our cold winters), that makes a big difference, I think. I also like to use big rings. My eye glasses are clearly from selection aimed for females.

I have had short hair most of my life, though not shaved. But many pixies and bobs. Once someone commented about my sexuality they assumed I represented, based on my short hair. That was -- interesting (though I did not get offended, more like amused plus I was amazed the kind of things people assume based on one characteristic). Stereotypes are rooted deep.

I dont really know how to define my style. I guess minimalist? or simple? or laid back? idk.
I have three piercings. 2 are stretched (00g) and the other is a second hole on my right ear, thinking of getting 2 more.
And same here. I was always a fan of bobs and tapered cuts mainly because it framed and fit my face but being bald kind of shows the not so round looking.. like one side seems a lil more dented than the other.

Wusel
April 3rd, 2016, 02:51 AM
I've found many videos on YouTube from women who shaved their head. Maybe you can get some inspiration there?

https://youtu.be/2U51b00Ageo See it positive. Like she does :) And wear this red lipstick :)

belix
April 3rd, 2016, 10:33 AM
If you don't feel like wearing mascara every day, then dyeing your lashes can give the same effect; it makes the lashes darker and more noticeable :) If you have short lashes there is also a possibility to get lash extensions, but that's expensive!

I like mascara! I love the dramatic look it gives to lashes :D
Maybe I should look into different effects it gives, or colors? :o

PixieP
April 3rd, 2016, 04:54 PM
Blue-tinted mascara looks even more dramatic with brown eyes than black mascara :) Using a dark, dark blue eyeliner on your upper wetline can also give the same effect. Since brown is a warm colour and blue a cold one. On the opposite side, my eyes usually look even bluer if I have brown mascara and eyeliner, than if I use black.

But I'm still a little goth at heart so no-one can take away my black eyeliner :laugh:

XiaoBaiTu
April 3rd, 2016, 05:45 PM
I don't know that it would help much with looking obviously more 'girly' from a distance, but a super cheap way to make yourself feel more girly is to paint your nails, if you're into that.

I feel you regarding foundation/concealer. It's the only type of makeup I'm personally interested in using at the moment, but they NEVER have one in my skin color. The lipstick/eye makeup alone will make a big difference though, so there's really no need for those other products if you don't want to deal with them. Good luck to you as you grow your hair out again, and enjoy experimenting with your style in the meantime! I'm sure you look fabulous and will start to feel more and more so as you try various things. :)