PDA

View Full Version : Hair that must have "cones".

ErikaRenee
March 25th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Hey there!

So I just recently tried to go "cone-free", and my hair protested. It just lay like a dry bundle of dull straw, when it is normally shiny and silky:mad:. Does anyone else have this problem, and what are your favorite "healthiest for hair" cone products? Thanks for reading!:o

Also, I am in the US

ErikaRenee
March 25th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Oh, and does anyone have any idea what I could use my no cone conditioner for?

Arctic
March 25th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Did you clarify before switching products?

And where about in the world you are, so people can better give recommendations.

lapushka
March 25th, 2016, 05:08 PM
A great detangler and silicone conditioner for me, my Holy Grail, is the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner. Also the Garnier Ultra Doux (or Ultimate Blends, Whole Blends, Loving Blends) depending on where you are with the mythic olive is *amazing*. Also *any* conditioner from Aldi or Lidl will do, as they are quite siliconey and great for detangling.

ErikaRenee
March 25th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Oh thanks! I am in the US; I should have mentioned that. I did clarify just before I switched.

missrandie
March 25th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Your old conditioner would make good shaving cream :)

ErikaRenee
March 25th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Thank you, those sound awesome. I have used Herbal Essences before with good success, so I might revisit that. I am really interested in checking out the Garnier as well, so I might need to check Amazon.

ErikaRenee
March 25th, 2016, 05:13 PM
oooh I like that suggestion!

Groovy Granny
March 25th, 2016, 05:35 PM
My hair loves cones ~ Joico Moisture S&C.....and I use old conditioners for shave cream or add it to liquid body soap too. :)
Amazon has great prices on Joico products.

Robi-Bird
March 25th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Love Herbal Essences, and the Garnier Ultra Doux is really nice. My hair is coarse and wiry and thick and it needs silicones to play nice after it gets wet.

ErikaRenee
March 25th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Oh wow, you weren't kidding about the prices. I used Joico once, and I loved it. My friend had it in her shower, so I went to Ulta to grab some and never did, because it was so expensive. Amazon looks like a much better alternative. Thank you!

Llama
March 25th, 2016, 07:07 PM
I see Joico at TJ Maxx and Marshalls all the time if you have those stores near you. Usually selling for at least half the price :)
I used to use Joico and swore by it back in the day

LongCurlyTress
March 25th, 2016, 08:47 PM
I have very curly, tangle prone 3B hair and I use-- from Costco- Kirkland Shampoo and detangle with gobs of the Kirkland Conditioner while in the shower. These have cones but allow me to detangle with just a little bit of shedding/breaking. They are supposed to be the generic for Pureology... a very high end brand. Then I use evoo on the ends only as my leave in and let my hair dry in a lwb. Good luck! You can also find these on Amazon but they are more expensive than at Costco.

Seeshami
March 25th, 2016, 08:53 PM
The naughty mess says, "Slave girl has to give me my cones or I will take her Keiky and her Muffin hostage. She has no choice."

Addict. You need to go to Cones Anonymous

rosey4exclaim
March 25th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Oh, and does anyone have any idea what I could use my no cone conditioner for?

Ooh! Use it as shaving cream, mix it with some shampoo for a moisturizing body wash, or mix it with some really cone-y conditioner (to sort of balance the two out). Honestly, using it as shaving cream is my favorite thing to do with conditioner I'm sick of.

gwenalyn
March 25th, 2016, 10:30 PM
I'm a big fan of Pantene, personally. It makes me feel really old-fashioned and lemming-ish, but it's true!

lithostoic
March 25th, 2016, 11:16 PM
My hair seems to do alright on cones, but I'm anxious to try cone free. What if my hair likes that much better, and suddenly becomes the shiny, manageable, tangle free mane that straight haired folks are SUPPOSED to have?

khryz
March 26th, 2016, 12:31 AM
My hair seems to do alright on cones, but I'm anxious to try cone free. What if my hair likes that much better, and suddenly becomes the shiny, manageable, tangle free mane that straight haired folks are SUPPOSED to have?

Try it and see what happens! My hair (at least at this length) doesn't seem to have much preference for cones/no-cones. I'm still experimenting with cone-free. :)

Also, DD2 who has 1a/1b, F hair, is naturally shiny. But her tangle-prone ends NEED cones. DD1 who has hair like mine doesn't tangle as much, and feels the same with/without cone. She uses the same coney conditioner as her sister anyway. I'm happy to have people helping me use up my conditioners LOL.

Shoga
March 27th, 2016, 07:36 AM
I also use unwanted conditioners as a shaving cream! Sometimes I buy really cheap conditioner for the sole purpose of shaving with since it's cheaper. Lol

Beatrixity
March 27th, 2016, 10:23 PM
I'd been cone free for 3 months, but my hair was waxy and tangly. I used good old coney dove shampoo (diluted) and coney dove conditioner. Voila! My hair is soft, shiny, and has the right amount of slip. I'm happy, my hair is happy, therfore cones are back in!

turtlelover
March 27th, 2016, 11:22 PM
My hair seems at its best when I flip back and forth between cones and no cones. It feels a little bit dry and rough after too long w/ no cones, but if I use them too often, my hair feels flat and looks thin to me, even though it is actually just fluffing less. One thing that I have discovered is that using a cone serum after a cone conditioner is a big no no unless I want flat hair, which is sad, because it REALLY helps with detangling. I wish there was something else I could use as a leave in that would help w/ the tangles w/out leaving my hair flat.

lapushka
March 28th, 2016, 05:27 AM

You're APL, so cones or no cones... it is not going to be that much different at your length, so if you want to go cone-free now is the time. Just wait until you hit BSL or lower... you'll definitely feel the difference!