PDA

View Full Version : Coloring Gray/Suggestions

ncgal25
March 25th, 2016, 06:27 AM
I've been going to the salon for years to have gray roots colored (every 3 months or so) . This last time my stylist of 4 years turned my roots a reddish/purple color? The rest of my hair length is the dark brown. This has never happened before? I'm considering going to Sally's and getting Wella and some developer but am not sure where to start? I used to use box color but it ruined my hair. Can anyone help me out guide me on where to start or what to buy? Thanks

Agnieszka
March 25th, 2016, 07:48 AM
I'm sorry it has happened to you. What about going back and complain to the stylist? I've done that before and they were always helpful and corrected without charge.

lapushka
March 25th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Yes, don't go DIYing when it involves a color process gone wrong. Nobody has the answers here with regards to your hair specifically. Go right back to your stylist and complain there.

browneyedsusan
March 25th, 2016, 08:23 AM
:justy:

Try returning to the stylist.

Else, you can try slapping some "deposit only" color on it. These dyes are similiar to powerful food coloring, don't have any developer, and don't damage your hair. I've used Adore--available on Amazon--and gotten good results. It's semi-permanent, and fades a little every wash. I'm not sure how it will cover gray, but it's fairly cheap--6$ or so. I used it on my underlayer a year ago.

Good luck!

Keep us posted. :)

turtlelover
March 25th, 2016, 10:02 AM
I don't even use anything w/ developer anymore, and I am soooo much better off, because I don't get any damage or the icky brassy fading from my base color lifting from the peroxide. I use Clairol Advanced Gray Solutions from Sally's, which is technically a semi, but it lasts a lot longer and I get no damage that I am able to see. Granted, my hair is around APL and not super long, but still, if the stuff was damaging my hair, I think I could probably tell that by now. It does start to fade pretty noticeably in around 2 weeks when I wash like every day and half but I don't mind that, because it makes it easier to touch up the roots w/out a lot of contrast between them and previously dyed hair. Unless I get a LOT more gray, I won't use demis or permanent color anymore because this stuff covers well enough that I don't see a reason to use something stronger. I just throw some on every 2-3 weeks....sometimes to just the root area, and othertimes to all of my hair if it is starting to look a little more washed out. I let it sit for about a half hour w/ a plastic cap, and it works well. It is MUCH cheaper than going to a salon, and I absolutely can't handle seeing any roots, and I barely do w/ this method, even though touching it up is a bit of a pain.

For reddish roots, I'd apply some of that in a neutral or ash shade to the roots and it would darken and tone down the red. Red tends to fade pretty quickly anyway, luckily for you!