PDA

View Full Version : Updo ideas with sticks and forks for very thick BSL hair.

Wusel
March 24th, 2016, 04:12 AM
As my hair is actually too short and way too thick to make buns without pulling and aching and irritating my scalp and because I've bought some nice hairtoys lately, I'm looking for ideas to put my hair up with forks and sticks without pulling to protect the ends.
I've found one three days ago and it's the third time I wear it :joy: :cheer: :joy: :cheer:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22132&d=1458813402

It's a simple english braid with ends folded under the braided part and the braid is pulled a tiny bit apart and secured with my 4p fork. No pulling on my scalp, no feeling of heaviness :joy: and it stays in place even when I'm on my cross trainer. :cheer: And my SO loves this style. :)

Any other ideas for me?
I keep you updated with other styles that work if I find some.

Edit: On the right side you maybe see a tiny bit of my bangs accent braid. I have to braid my bangs back as they are still to short to be put in updos in the back. Looks really cute altogether.

Arctic
March 24th, 2016, 04:23 AM
That's really pretty style, folded braids have always been my go-to styles at shorter lengths.

How about a 3-strand disc bun? I made a short how-to in this post:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125332

It should work thick hair very well!

Wusel
March 24th, 2016, 07:00 AM
That's really pretty style, folded braids have always been my go-to styles at shorter lengths.

How about a 3-strand disc bun? I made a short how-to in this post:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125332

It should work thick hair very well!

Thank you! I try this tomorrow :) :joy: :flower:

lapushka
March 24th, 2016, 07:20 AM
That's a neat style, Wusel! And if it's comfy, you can wear it 24/7 - doesn't matter. I used to wear the same style (peacock twist with a claw) all the time. It never hurt my hair or scalp.

Chromis
March 24th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Super great! That is a nice look for you :D

chen bao jun
March 24th, 2016, 07:42 AM
French roll

browneyedsusan
March 24th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Wusel, that style is super classy! :thumbsup:

If you have 2 sticks, you can make section your hair and make 2 buns. The sections will be thinner and more "bunnable". :)
I sometimes arrange them over/under for fun. If you don't have 2 sticks, you can totally use bobbypins as teensy forks. (or substitute short pencils, crochet hooks, long golf tees, bamboo skewers(cut down), whatever you can lay your hands on! )

endersworld
March 24th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Wusel, that folded bun looks great! I may have to see if I can make something like that work on my hair - I've never tried that way of making buns.

I've got about a 4" ponytail circumference, and at BSL, I found it worked pretty well if I moved my buns further up on my head. My main go-to was to pull my hair up as if into a high ponytail, and English braid it from that point, then secure the braid with a hair tie. Then I'd wrap that braid around itself into a braided cinnabun, and put a stick or two through it. It'll just about wrap around one full turn, and sometimes a couple of pins are necessary, but unless your hair is a lot thicker than mine, it should be doable!

chen bao jun
March 25th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Gibson tuck

Anje
March 25th, 2016, 04:11 PM
I've heard good things about doing a half-up bun, then wrapping the lower half of your hair around it. I've seen it called a "cameo bun" at least in some forms, and it's supposed to work great for hair that has too much thickness/not enough length to make a bun with all the hair at a reasonable tension. It will look like one bun, too, which is nice if you don't want to do the two buns thing.

Oh, have you tried a Disc bun yet? It's also in the whole "divide and conquer" group of buns that work especially well for short or thick hair.