PDA

View Full Version : Hair Slump

endlessly
March 23rd, 2016, 08:34 PM
As the title suggests, I'm feeling a bit bored with my hair.

This is typically the time of year I try to change my style, mostly through stupid and damaging ways (former hair dye addict), so I know that is why I'm feeling so stuck. I used to do crazy inventive hairstyles and now? I'm lucky if I bother with a clip.

So, what do you do when you're stuck in a slump? How do you find inspiration to style your hair every day and maintain your length?

MsPharaohMoan
March 23rd, 2016, 08:49 PM
So you're in a slump but you're not interested in doing nice hairstyles every day? Hmmm...

- Think of the next time on your calendar that you're going 'out'. I mean dressing up and looking nice... And plan a hairstyle for that time.
- Do a spa day, clarify, and slather on a deep conditioner
- Wear hair down if you usually wear it up, or vice versa
- Tinker with deposit only dyes
- Or dye only a few inches from your ends (I see that you're maintaining at 40 inches so maybe it's not so awful the damage the part you're going to basically be free of within x amount of months)
- Maybe focus on another aspect of your appearance? Say like doing your nails or putting away all your winter clothes...
- Trim just enough you'll miss the length and sob over how much you miss your hair

Let us know if you find something that works :)

Inga-Marjukka
March 23rd, 2016, 11:20 PM
When I'm bored with my hair I usually treat it to a massive deep conditioning and learn a new bun. I've been in a slump myself for a while now because of my bangs that I'm trying to grow out. They're too long to be worn down (although now I've sort of mastered wearing them down on one side), and too short to layer.
What often helps me is taking a mirror and looking at the length of my hair and shaking my head so I can see how shiny it is. MsPharaohMoan's tip of wearing your hair down if you usually keep it up is a fantastic way of bringing some excitement!

Also what helps me is when my short-haired friends give me compliments on how "amazingly" long and thick my hair is, and that makes me realise that yeah, it actually is pretty long! Looking back on the hard work it's taken makes me appreciate it more.

I hope you get over your slump and find your hair a fun thing again. :cheer: But if the slump just doesn't go away, nothing is stopping you from making a big cut or whatever feels right for you. It grows back, and the best thing is that it's brand new healthy hair!

spirals
March 24th, 2016, 12:18 AM
I get creative and go vintage or historical. I like the medieval period as well as the Edwardian, also the '20s and '30s. Occasionally I'll do a '40s style like victory rolls and a hair net.

Groovy Granny
March 24th, 2016, 01:01 AM
Your hair is gorgeous :thud:

Personally ~ I trim, get a new hair toy...or 2 :wink: and challenge myself to learn a couple of new styles.

It will pass; we all get bored and need to tweak things a bit to renew our spirits :flowers:

lapushka
March 24th, 2016, 07:05 AM
I used to get that itch every spring. And I would happily cut away at my hair; then I wondered why I never got beyond BSL. Silly of me. Maybe try scavenging YT for new updos? And try a few. You might stumble upon new ways to wear your hair.

Arctic
March 24th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Try styling the front of your hair differently, that's what you see from the mirror anyway.

spirals
March 24th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Try styling the front of your hair differently, that's what you see from the mirror anyway.

Oh, that's good. Yeah: accent braids or switching the part or twisting it back, or faux bangs. I haven't done any of those in a while.

Wusel
March 27th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Oh, that's good. Yeah: accent braids or switching the part or twisting it back, or faux bangs. I haven't done any of those in a while.

That's what I do. Nice accent braids in the front, different parting, faux bangs... It helps always :)

Horrorpops
March 27th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Definitely second YouTube for new hairstyle ideas... Especially braids and heatless curls :o currently in a bit of a slump myself and this is helping. Also contemplating bleaching the last few inches which could be cut off and regrown within a few months but we'll see..
Also don't feel blah about your hair when is so gorgeous, thick and shiny!!

BlondeBeauty
March 27th, 2016, 08:46 AM
So you're in a slump but you're not interested in doing nice hairstyles every day? Hmmm...

- Think of the next time on your calendar that you're going 'out'. I mean dressing up and looking nice... And plan a hairstyle for that time.
- Do a spa day, clarify, and slather on a deep conditioner
- Wear hair down if you usually wear it up, or vice versa
- Tinker with deposit only dyes
- Or dye only a few inches from your ends (I see that you're maintaining at 40 inches so maybe it's not so awful the damage the part you're going to basically be free of within x amount of months)
- Maybe focus on another aspect of your appearance? Say like doing your nails or putting away all your winter clothes...
- Trim just enough you'll miss the length and sob over how much you miss your hair

Let us know if you find something that works :)

I really like the dye idea!