PDA

View Full Version : New 'Do & Coworkers' reactions!

MsBubbles
October 15th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Well for my non-wash day today (trying to quit everyday wash) I tried doing some Bee Butt Bun curls for the first time. My hair has zero natural curl so I thought I'd need lots of them, wound tightly. I wound them with dry hair last night and slept in them.

This morning I got up, unwound them excitedly, thinking this might be a solution to my 2nd day greaseball disaster, aka, ugly day, and envisioned light waves with enough body to stand away from my oily scalp some.

Instead I looked like this (http://roadskater.net/photos/athens-to-atlanta-roadskate-a2a-2008-87-mile-road-inline-skate/081005184236.htm).

Sorry I didn't have time to take a photo! Anyway it looks pretty on the dog but not on me. What's worse is my scalp has its usual 2nd day slime on it and now the ends look like I'm growing out a bad perm :). It's all pretty funny.

Even funnier are my coworkers' reactions!

My boss said "Wow, I saw you through the warehouse window and had to come take a closer look! You look...different".

Somebody else came up to me laughing. 20 years ago this would have sent me to the bathroom, crying :p.

Then a (long-haired female) colleague was shrieking with excitement and wanted to know what I did. She felt my ends and exclaimed "oh your hair is so soft!" (like maybe it doesn't feel as fried as it looks!).

Anyway this wasn't quite the effect I was looking for. I think my hair is too fine and too short to pull this off yet, unless I somehow do less of them on my head. I did 5 bee butt buns. I didn't dare try to comb it but finger combing still made it frizzy.

Anybody else get any extreme reactions from coworkers after trying something new?!

cocolover
October 15th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I haven't had this experience yet (yet...) but I feel for you! I can't believe someone came up to laughing! Oh well, once you wash it, it will all go away:)

Monsterkitti
October 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I did lots of tiny buns once when I was still at school and then pinned the resulting curls piled up on my head. I loved it but my art teacher seemed to think it was the funniest thing she'd ever seen :) Needless to say it somewhat put me off recreating it :)

redtea
October 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM
That's funny! I'm glad you can laugh about it :)

A couple years ago I bought some of those soft curlers you can sleep in overnight. My hair is on the curly side already, but I wanted to make it even more curly. Well, my hair takes curls very well (TOO well) and when I took them out in the morning I looked like Shirley Temple! I tried brushing them out, but that made it even more of a poofball, so I started wetting it down... it calmed it down a little, but not enough. I ended up pulling it back, but it was still so curly you could even see the curls with it pulled back. I remember my coworkers asking me what I did to my hair. I'm not sure if the reaction was positive or negative, but I haven't really used those things since! :p

Leabhar
October 15th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I feel for you and the beebutt buns! What you might try instead is damp bunning (regular buns, just multiple small ones, like two or three) or the deep waves tutorial, with the strips of thick fabric. I bet your hair would look fabulous with them.

As for second day grease, I found sulfate-free shampoos to be very helpful in washing grease but not stripping too much of the scalp.

I tend to wear my hair in buns, so kudos to you for trying new things to wear to work!

MsBubbles
October 15th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the replies and stories! Too funny. I guess it's one thing to try to provoke a reaction from people (like when I spiked it all up in the 80s) and another to try to just look good :D.

I will check out the other wave suggestions. One single bun usually yields nice waves but they only hold for an hour or so, and about ten minutes if it's humid out! Of course today we have hot, dry weather :).

plainjanegirl
October 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Have you ever tried rope braiding? I got some nice waves a few days ago when I did a rope braid to sleep in.

AutumnLeaves
October 15th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I was laughing at your account as well. I'm like you in that years ago I'd have taken it personally. Now? I'd be laughing right along with my coworkers if I did something that didn't work in my hair. Isn't it nice when we can laugh at ourselves? Makes life so much more fun. Still and yet, I doubt it looks as triangular as that poodle's does! LOL

angelthadiva
October 15th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I tend to leave my "experimental" styles at home.

However, one morning last year, I was so pumped to try out the "fake crown braid". I did a test run the night before just to make sure I had the technique down...Got up in the AM; whipped it up...I thought I was something else. Everyone at work was ooooohing and ahhhhing and asking how I did it blah, blah, blah...Then, one of my male CO-IRKERS approached my desk with a handful of my hair pins...Apparently my hair had been spitting them out down the hallway; leaving a Hansel and Gretel trail behind me...

Yeah, dashed :run: to the bathroom and took the rest down.

vampodrama
October 16th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I had a bad curl happening in highschool. put my hair into rag curlers for the night and BRUSHED them out in the morning.

nope, not the brightest crayon in the box.

Seraphina
October 16th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I've had the same experience,though not with buns.I had my hair in a herringbone braid the night before school and I brushed it out in the morning.I didn't check the mirror before I left.
I got to school and one of my friends took me to the bathroom mirrors to see my hair.It looked like a big,shaggy pile of crinkled wool.Not a good look for me! I laugh about it now though :)

MsBubbles
October 16th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Ahh I'm so glad it's not just me. Woolly hair. yep :)

When I think about it, I could have easily just chucked a load of water over my hair and put it in a ficcare or something, but I had gone to 'all that work' of twisting it the night before (took me all of ten minutes!) so on principle I thought I should leave it.

Tapioca
October 16th, 2008, 05:34 PM
When I used henna for the first time, my boss commented on the color. Unfortunately, the henna was still at home in a bowl. I hadn't applied it yet. :crazyq:

angelthadiva
October 17th, 2008, 09:13 AM
When I used henna for the first time, my boss commented on the color. Unfortunately, the henna was still at home in a bowl. I hadn't applied it yet. :crazyq:

:spitting: adding more characters to reach the required limit...

Tressie
October 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Well, I'm not sure, but I think the lady at my cleaners laughed at my hairsticks the first time I came in with a bun on my head! I'm not positive, mind you, but I think that was why she was cracking up! (o:

Also, the folks at church haven't said ANYTHING about the buns and hairsticks except for two kindly older women who encouragingly said it "looked good", no wait there were three. One recently told me it looked "just precious" (o:

Now, the fact that none of the women in the choir (I'm the erstwhile director) have said a "thing" makes me pretty sure they don't "dig my new styling" and are too nice to say so, however, I'm at the age where I don't really mind! It's very liberating! I just go ahead with my updos and hair toys and have a great time!! (o:

There is a lot to be said for getting old, or at least gaining experience..........perhaps I should say LOL!!