PDA

View Full Version : White ends: have you ever noticed...

Totty
March 22nd, 2016, 11:25 AM
... that new hair has a tapered point. (Most of you know this I guess).
... that the very tip of that point (about 2-3 mm) is a different colour.

I have coarse dark brown, almost black hair, but those tips are very light brown. Has anyone ever noticed this before?

Moonfall
March 22nd, 2016, 12:12 PM
I didn't know new hair has a tapered point! But it makes sense. It might explain why most of my hairs have tapered ends. Then it might not be damage after all. :)
But indeed, it does seem like those tips have a different colour. My hair is brown, and the tips can be very light brown and even blonde or white sometimes. Do you think it is a sign of damage, or would it be a natural thing?

missrandie
March 22nd, 2016, 12:53 PM
Yep. I have lots of these. Different color, different texture. I consider the baby tapered curly points to be my hair follicle "warming up" and easing itself into producing another hair!

lapushka
March 22nd, 2016, 01:10 PM
Never noticed, and it doesn't look like my ends do that... I don't notice a different color, at least.

teal
March 22nd, 2016, 01:30 PM
Mine are too fine to notice much change in colour, but yes, they do taper. I rather like it! I'm a fairytale-ends kind of gal. :)

Totty
March 22nd, 2016, 01:52 PM
Never noticed, and it doesn't look like my ends do that... I don't notice a different color, at least.

Mine are too fine to notice much change in colour, but yes, they do taper. I rather like it! I'm a fairytale-ends kind of gal. :)

Can it be a coarse haired thing?

Totty
March 22nd, 2016, 01:53 PM
Yep. I have lots of these. Different color, different texture. I consider the baby tapered curly points to be my hair follicle "warming up" and easing itself into producing another hair!

I like that term

Totty
March 22nd, 2016, 02:00 PM
I didn't know new hair has a tapered point! But it makes sense. It might explain why most of my hairs have tapered ends. Then it might not be damage after all. :)
But indeed, it does seem like those tips have a different colour. My hair is brown, and the tips can be very light brown and even blonde or white sometimes. Do you think it is a sign of damage, or would it be a natural thing?

Depends I think, how long is your hair and how are you treating it today

Hairkay
March 22nd, 2016, 02:23 PM
Since my curly hair sticks out even when tied up or plaited/braided, I was always aware of the tapered ends of new growth. I can always spot a fuzz of new grow over my head, little spirals that point up.

trolleypup
March 23rd, 2016, 09:59 PM
Neat. Maybe the point of a new hair is just the core, without the cortex (outer layer) on a full size strand. Most of the color in a hair strand is in the surface (which is why worn hair fades lighter).

Alex Lou
March 24th, 2016, 12:46 AM
My new ends are not noticeably lighter. Although as a general rule, my finer strands are blonder. I wonder what the relationship is there.

anou
March 24th, 2016, 05:54 AM
My hair is very dark, so the only times I've seen lighter ends are when they are damaged/splits.

Alex Lou
April 2nd, 2016, 03:12 PM
My hair is very dark, so the only times I've seen lighter ends are when they are damaged/splits.

I was thinking about this. My ends that are split are a lighter color. Sometimes it's the only indication that they have split or are going to split. Sometimes half of the split has been torn off so you can't tell any other way.

anou
April 2nd, 2016, 09:33 PM
My new ends are not noticeably lighter. Although as a general rule, my finer strands are blonder. I wonder what the relationship is there.

Ah didn't see this post. My hair strands are mostly M. They're deep black. But the fine strands are visibly dark brown.