PDA

View Full Version : BBB makes scalp itchy

Obsidian
March 22nd, 2016, 05:05 AM
Has anyone else experienced this? I have 2 BBB's now, one with soft bristles that I can no longer use (it can't get through my hair) and one with shorter stiff bristles. Both make my scalp itch like mad after brushing, worse then any SD flair I've ever had.
No, it not a allergy. I use BB shaving brush on my legs and have for over a year now. I think its the blunt hairs physically poking my scalp that is causing the itching, either that or what ever they put on the brush tips to keep the hairs from splitting.
I'd like to keep using the brush, hoping that my scalp will get used to it but man, it can be really tough. The itchies last for a couple hours and nothing really seems to help it go away faster.
For those of you have have used BBB for years, do the bristles ever soft up and does that yellow gunk wear off so the bristle ends can split a little?

lapushka
March 22nd, 2016, 05:27 AM
Too much brushing isn't good for SD. I have far less issues now that I no longer use a brush (I used to have a mixed BBB). I'd quit using it, TBH. :flower: BTW, what's that yellow gunk you're talking about?

Silverbleed
March 22nd, 2016, 05:31 AM
I also stopped using my BB brushes. They also made my scalp itch and I couldn't see it but I had a feeling it was red and burning sometimes.
Instead I use a wooden brush now. Does the job fine for my hair c: Plus it's sooo relaxing on my scalp :inlove:

Edit; I said comb I meant brush

lapushka
March 22nd, 2016, 05:54 AM
I also stopped using my BB brushes. They also made my scalp itch and I couldn't see it but I had a feeling it was red and burning sometimes.
Instead I use a wooden comb now. Does the job fine for my hair c: Plus it's sooo relaxing on my scalp :inlove:

Yes, redness wasn't odd for me while using those types of brushes. Something in the boar, I think, doesn't "mesh" well with my SD.

Horrorpops
March 22nd, 2016, 08:21 AM
Yeah that doesn't sound good. For whatever reason it sounds like BBB aren't for your scalp.
If it makes you feel better I have one I use and whether I do or don't use it I never notice a massive difference in my hair health :o so you mightn't be missing out on much!

Obsidian
March 22nd, 2016, 02:59 PM
When I do brush with it, its only for 2-3 minutes. I don't so the whole 100 strokes, that would take too long and I'm lazy. I don't think my scalp was red and it didn't burn at all, it was just crazy itchy. I have the same thing happen when I pet animals with stiff hair like horses or even some dogs. Its not allergies, its from the hair poking into and breaking the skin surface. Its also not my SD being irritated.

It is hard to get the bristles all the way down to my scalp, I'm probably pushing them into my skin pretty hard. The bristles are black but the very tips are a yellowy color. I always thought it was some kind of substance applied to the bristles. Maybe it just the natural color but it looks odd. I wish I could find a nice white bristle brush.

I'll try using it few more times, see if I can find a technique that doesn't make me itch. I would like to see if distributing natural hair oils might help with my drier ends. If it fails, I just use the brushes on the dogs.

missrandie
March 22nd, 2016, 03:03 PM
I always thought that the yellow tips were the roots of the bristles......

Deborah
March 22nd, 2016, 08:53 PM
If you want to continue using it, just don't brush so hard. Brush the hair; don't try to brush the scalp if the bristles make you itchy or irritated.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 22nd, 2016, 09:54 PM
You don't need to do the 100 strokes thing, you can just do 10 or 20 or as many as suits your preference. BBBs aren't for massaging the scalp either, but just for putting a final polish on the hair after detangling. You can be gentle with it and it needn't touch your scalp at all.